Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

I meant the bulk of the arms, not the length. 

I've finalized the size of the torso and it's a lot smaller than the original. In fact, I cut away so much it opened up holes in a few spots so I filled the hollow interior and the holes with a GS/Milliput mix. 

gqmJWI6.png

I seem to have misplaced the left arm of that set for the moment. :dry.:

I think what I'm going to do is fill in the blank space in the abdomen with more GS/Milliput and then make a mold of it Oyumaru and cast them instead of trying to do all that work with every single chest. I mean, the chest is going to be covered with gear like the original Vall mini and everyone is going to have a cloak so very little of the chest armor will even be visible. 

oh wow, I see how that's working out proportion-wise - almost more towards the 'Custodes' sort of 'scaled up excellent human' rather than the broader physique of an Astartes. Works well for what you're going for. 

Only question I'd have is whether the head and neck might now be a little too small, given there's a head in that helmet etc. 

There's still plenty of room for astartes musculature in there, but yeah, my Night's Children of the Crimson Sons were a bit smaller than the other astartes due to the effect of malnutrition on them in their formative years. No worries about the head and neck, you'll see. 

Also seems that my pic of the finished torso with arms didn't make it into the previous post, but my internet was acting up last night. 

arETo1j.png

• 4 weeks later...

Been a little while, but a number of factors for nearly a month away are to blame - like my marine burn out coming back hard not long after my last post, working on a couple mini xmas presents that I can't show just yet, a mild covid scare at work, and a resurgence of interest in my eldar stuff. 

So... (checks date on post)... Wow, 3.5 years ago I decided I wanted to make my won version of a Warp Hunter eldar grav tank and dove headlong into it by cutting up a Falcon body and then it quickly stalled when I realized two things: my scratchbuilding skills weren't anywhere near ready for that and to make it look like the miniature Lynx that I want it to be, I didn't have a satisfactory (read: cheap and strong) way to fill in all the empty spaces that were created when I chopped the body up. I shelved it at the time and promptly forgot about it. 

I recently saw a suggestion online of using a hot glue gun as a cheap filler that has a lot less give than anything else I would have tried and is cheap. Did I mention it's cheap? So I dusted off the old thing and we're going again. 

Here's the first phase of filling up those empty spaces. 

3dJcpUk.png?1

Not the best pic, I know, but I got a new phone a few days ago (yay for phone insurance and warranty replacements!) and am still getting used to the camera. Now, I did still use my old standby of the bunched up paper towel soaked with super glue to close up a good portion of the voids and then layered the hot glue on top of that because it does have some weight to and this grav tank now has some definite heft to it and I still have more voids to seal up. 

Next I need to do some testing with the Milliput I'm going to use to create the new hull sections where the hot glue is and also see how well I can match those circuit board-like panel lines to the main body. 

One step closer to that baby Lynx...

JPCIsm9.png

You might be able to use an M&Ms minis container to build that middle support. It would need to be cut down, but would be structurally sound with a decent curve you could maneuver with a heat gun. Edited by Custom Hero

Words cannot explain in detail how much I loathe those 'phobos' models. Curious to see what changes you do to them.

I've seen a lot of hate about the Phobos armor since it came out while I thought it looked kinda cool. A lot of it seems to do with the legs, I think? I know you just said you can't properly put it into words, but I am curious. 

It feels incredibly... un-marine like. Marine armor has always been this knightly-bastardization of sci-fi meets medieval armored tank. Chunky pauldrons and vambraces, very aggressive looking helmets. Despite sculpting skulls for decades, the sculptor(s) behind the Reivers dropped the ball something fierce. That is NOT a scary skull mask. That is a derpy chiuaua of a skull  helmet. The weak and exposed anklets looks like it was ripped straight from the Halo Spartan IP, tacticool and all that. I don't like the asymmetry of the pauldron, with one dinky one and the other non-existent. Hooks that let them ascend and descend? Marines are like 700 pounds without armor...  You can slap all the purity seals on it in the world, it does not look Warhammer to me, and you can apply that to the entirety of the range. 

It feels incredibly un-marine like...it does not look Warhammer to me, and you can apply that to the entirety of the range.

You know I never could explain why I disliked those models so much, but that's it. It's everything you said there. I've spent almost 15 years thinking of Space Marines as incredibly violent living tanks, and Reivers look like they'd be more at home in a light hearted anime...

Anyway, the baby lynx is shaping up nice BCK, very interested to see where you go from here.

I don't see the reiver armor as normal marine armor and have always looked at them as the new version of the lighter scout armor and I'm quite OK with that. 

But time for some real talk now. Avatar of Khaine. That guy that's always used to make someone look powerful by taking a fall easily (a jobber to you wrestling fans). You know him, you love him, whether he be the adolescent metal version or the grown up resin one.

Except I don't. I was never that much a fan of the original metal one, and I dislike the FW one only slightly less. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they finally put out an Avatar mini of appropriate size, but I don't like the new face (or the forehead in particular) and I'm also not a fan of all the cracks everywhere. For my money, this is what I wish the FW avatar head looked like. 

tgvHIz4.png

Absolute best illustration of the AoK ever. Fight me. 

So, a while back I acquired an avatar for a project idea that didn't work out and I decided to have a go trying to fix as much of it as I can. The antlers and a lot of the forehead detail came off and I'm putting down the first layers of GS to get as close to the shape of the illustration as I can. 

6pUVgkS.png

Still having issues with the new phone camera; apologies for the pic quality. 

If I could model in 3D at all, that exact head would be mine, but alas I'll have to do it the hard way. 

It's already taking directions I hadn't planned on, Majkhel. While looking around for more art to draw inspiration from - both official and fan varieties - I happened across this illustration of Khaine from the WHFB End Times and I'm honestly surprised I hadn't seen it before. Or if I had, I'd forgotten. 

AwqAPxB.png

I was wanting to do a little something different when I remade the antlers, but this! Wow! The upper set of blade antler things, not the swords sticking straight out of the sides of his head.

I started working on something similar and I could only test fit one side at a time until I was ready to pin them on because the sheet plastic I used is fairly thick and it was too much weight for blue tac to hold... and I might have gone overboard a little. 

3WQr7QF.png

Honestly though, I like it. I have a story idea for why this particular AoK is a bit more... grandiose? You can kinda see where I started to work in the bevels on the left antler (our right) and man, did I make some work for myself in trying to duplicate the super deep and steep bevels from the illustration. 

I'd been going to suggest the AoS .. er .. Dark Elf Avatar from the Cauldron of Blood kit, but figured you'd already taken a look at it and decided against utilizing its components for size or stylistic reasons. 

The width you've got going atm is interesting - it puts one almost in the mind of stag horns, which is not necessarily inappropriate given I presume Kurnous had such a la the old Orion Woold Elf miniature. 

• 2 months later...

Been a while, but hobby mojo has been scarce lately. I saw that 28Mag is having a challenge for their next issue to show the normal folks of the Adeptus Adminstratum going going about their everyday lives and I wanted to see what I could build from stuff I already had on hand. With a recent rewatch of Chernobyl and some GSC sprues coincidentally sitting on the end of my hobby desk, I thought I might have a go at making a plain ol' miner.

My first thought was to have a miner sitting down enjoying some caff or maybe eating lunch on a break, but the logistics of chopping up one of the GSC models for that pose was going to be a lot more effort than I wanted to do right now. Then I noticed one of the walking sets of legs looked more like a tired shuffle, and an hour or so later I had this sketch knocked out.

zn9KShD.png

Tthe knife melee arm was going to be an easy chop job for the arm pose I wanted and because of that I had to change the torso that normally goes with these legs because the shoulder lantern was on the left side. Obviously, all GSC bits and the pistol will be removed and I plan on adding some more details to personalize him a bit. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the other arm. I'm thinking maybe he's got a pipe or cigarette lho stick in that hand.

Also, shout out to the crew chief of the Tula miners.

O5YVekJ.png

And for those who have seen the show...

HsLypb6.png

(If you haven't watched it, you should!)

He's looking really good and weary!

I feel like if you can do an almost limp, straight down arm with the cigar/lho stick, with a tad of shoulder droop, that would enhance it even more - like he's going "Damn, it is almost not worth it to pull this thing back up, I'm so tired..."

Like the miner bro, progress is trudging along slowly but surely. 

IkBG8tg.png

I did a B&W version too because the greenstuff came out unusually shiny even after I washed it to get rid of the oil from sculpting.