Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

It is, and I may use them for footslogging plasgunners but even the HH plasgun is larger than I want for cavalry. I did some chopping on a HH plasma pistol and a lasgun as a test of what I'm wanting. 

VsW6nHs.png

To power it, there will be a power cable connected to a battery pack. 

I may have gone too short though. I'll have to try it on the figure when I get home from work. 

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

Nice!

How about using the combi plas attachment from one of the many versions out there, I think there is one from the mkIII set?

That strapped to a cut down las gun could be the db's!

Edit: my bad, it's the mkIV set

Edited by NightHunters

A few weeks ago I went to a local model show to enter my Macharius in the sci-fi category, but sadly it didn't place. I did find some good deals in the vendor hall though, mostly real tanks, but scored a good deal on a Land Raider that was partially painted but unassembled. 

t4i5wxM.png

The guy wanted $30 for it but after I found a few other things from him I wanted (including a 1/35 scale E-25, and you WoT players know what monster I mean, and some unopened Ork Wartrukks in 3rd Ed packaging) he knocked the price down to $20. A quick look showed all the parts were there and I snagged it, though I did mention to the vendor after I paid for it that it was a really low price for a Land Raider, he said he bought a collection from a kid several months ago and the LR was the last piece he'd been unable to sell off in months of traveling around to these shows so we were both happy with the purchase. 

A few days later when I cleared out some other stuff I was stripping in the tub of Super Clean to make room for these parts, I discovered a surprise in the bottom of the box. 

ey9q3NH.png

Complete LR and FW doors for $20? Nice. 

And the parts after a gentle scrubbing, still drying when the pic was taken. 

8b23wAq.png

This Super Clean stuff, God-Emperor is it amazing. Most of the pieces I just held underwater and shook back and forth to get about 95% of the paint off, including the white primer underneath. 

The replacement doors for the Ultra ones arrived a few days ago and I do wish that FW still carried them, but alas, I had to resort to other means. 

zITG5dV.png

Great looking stuff, BCK!  Always liked the background for the Vostroyans, but the all metal mini line... and the minis themselves (the heads mostly) kept me from buying.  I like the treatment you are giving them. Fairly simple, but a greatway to modernize them.

Lex, love that Super Clean!  I did a tutorial(for those that haven't already seen it) on the stuff I was so impressed. 

RNB, if you're going to try to convert an entire army of metal minis, it better be something simple. :wink:

Bought some c-clamps to use with my oyu molds while trying some casts of my modified cavalry plasgun and figuring out just how much pressure to use without distorting the mold is taking some practice. 

LKfkwmg.png

About 60% greenstuff to 40% milliput but it depends on how it feels when I'm mixing it whether I add more of one or the other. 

I think the bottom two are close enough that they could be used on a squad of rough riders without the difference being too obvious. Ideally I want two squads with two plasguns each but if nothing else I can use these to see if they're too short for proper posing. 

I have to say they all look pretty good to me, and whilst the lowest one is the "cleanest" in terms of flash, I think it may have had a bit too much pressure from the clamp - some details like the clip look a little like they're bulging a touch?

Speaking of clips, I think the lasgun clip in the plasma carbine is what makes this cut'n'shut look off to me. Quality of conversion, neatness, and everything else is super, but that clip is too familiar to my eye to pass as plasmagun ammo. Could it be swapped for the plasma flask taken from the bottom of the same 30k plasmagun?

Speaking of clips, I think the lasgun clip in the plasma carbine is what makes this cut'n'shut look off to me. Quality of conversion, neatness, and everything else is super, but that clip is too familiar to my eye to pass as plasmagun ammo. Could it be swapped for the plasma flask taken from the bottom of the same 30k plasmagun?

This. The power packs are too identifiable and don't match up to the style used on almost all plasma weaponry. Change that and I reckon they'd be perfect.

I remember reading a description of reloading the fuel for a plasgun a long time ago and while I don't remember every detail, it seemed like a very tedious thing to try to do on a mount so to go in line with the power pack the plasgunner rough riders will be wearing, to make it easier to operate while on a charging mount, the power pack will essentially be a modified "plug" from the pack to the plasgun. Not only does it make sense from an efficiency standpoint in the setting for a cavalry version of the gun, but it's also less fiddly converting to do. 

And on the subject of my rough riders, I knew that one of my five cold one models was sacrificed to a failed conversion a long time ago but I'm missing another that I haven't been able to find, which means I'm short 2 mounts and a few other bits. Time to bust out the oyumaru!

CdjGQDp.png

I will say that I was disappointed to discover of the three mounts I still have, the bodies were all completely identical and a look at the whole box on the GW site shows that all five have identical bodies. This was also the biggest molding I've attempted yet and even doing just one half of the body took a while with the mold halves needing several attempts to get a satisfactory result. That pic above is of the second pull and here's both next to the original. 

IlLTlko.png

The middle one was the first pull and I completely forgot to strengthen the leg and arm with wire and both broke when taking it out of the mold. I have since drilled and pinned them but it's going to require some repair work with GS. I remembered for the second one and it came out of the mold just fine. Now I just need to do the other body half and two heads, left and right halves. :dry.:

Last night I chopped up the huge mold for the longer half of the cold one body and made another for the shorter as well as a mold for the two head halves. 

G20KZaI.png

At first glance it might look pretty good, but it's actually something of a nightmare and confirms my fears that copying a multi-part figure like this might have some serious problems when it all comes together at the end. The biggest issue is the slight warping of the various parts that occurs when applying pressure to the mold to make sure the putty reaches all the crevices and picks up the detail and even taking the parts out when the putty was still a bit wet and slightly pliable, there's a lot of unevenness. 

Another big problem with it for me is the original kit itself; all of the bodies are in the exact same pose, and the join line of the two head halves is horrible. So before I waste anymore putty or time on this idea, I'm throwing in the towel on the lizard rough riders. The pose of the mounts is boring and repetitive and trying to convert them and keep the scaled texture looking right would be a ton of work. 

I will continue working on them but with horses for mounts instead. It will be much easier to get the sense of movement I'm wanting from the unit, more like these pics. 

85kmf24.png?1

yCMVgrD.png

Aw, man. I really, really dug the old-time sci-fi vibe the raptor riders were giving off. Still, if it's not working, it's not working, "kill your darlings" and all that. Looking forward to the traditional horses.

I haven't made one yet myself ,but I think they might be easy to make . I was thinking if I made a Vostroyan, regiment I would use some sprue ,or or plastic round stock to make some sleds. Some wolves ,and greenstuff to make the traces.