Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BCK's Thread of Stuff: Vostroyan Cavalry

Conversions Inquisitor Horus Heresy VIII Legion Vostroyans Astral Claws XIV Legion Dusk Raiders

• Please log in to reply
3288 replies to this topic

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,215 posts
  • Chapter Name: Stoneburners
Sorry that the Cold Ones aren't going to work out, BCK. It is too bad that there isn't more variety in the Cold One poses, the Rough Riders would have looked awesome astride cold, scaly steeds and sculpting new large lizard bodies would have been such a pain. Looking forward to seeing your new idea though, with the cabled plasma rifles, and some foot Vostys with the sallet type helms.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners
Posted Here: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the War and Wolves): PCA WiP Forum
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,598 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

I found my missing 4th cold one body earlier today while looking for more horse parts and to my great surprise it wasn't nearly identical to the other 3.  I did find out there is a slight difference in the arm positions of a few of the bodies, but more importantly was that the left leg and body side was different with the foot barely touching the ground. I had a family event to go to tonight and most of the time I was there I was contemplating if I really wanted to give up on an idea so fast that I've wanted to do for close to a decade (at least). Now that found the missing cold one, I don't need to make anymore castings and the nightmare fit problems that come with it. Well, I'm missing the one rider I used on a failed conversion a while back and will need to do something about that. 

Anyway, I decided to see what I could for re-posing the overgrown raptor when I got home to get a little more movement feel out of him. Out came the blades and I targeted the hip and thigh on the right side of the body for removal. It's difficult to see from the angle in the pics but where the red line is there's a ridge of protruding scales that run from the tail up the body and I used that line as a guide for cutting the top of the leg. 

h12sNRV.png

Then I chopped the leg at the knee, pinned it, and temp glued the leg bag on along with the other body half along with a head and the rider to see how it looks. 

RrfFCmB.png

BFOvP5p.png

This is definitely closer to what I imagined with the body pitched forward more and the tail higher in the air like we're used to seeing in stuff like the Jurassic films. The rider still seems to sit awkwardly and will need work, but for now the idea of lizard cavalry got a stay of execution. 

**edit*

Forgot to post my conversion challenge pics! I've been working on a Castellax idea I've had for a while that I originally intended to do with my 30k Dusk Raiders as an allied Mechanicum force. I got some of these dirt cheap from a guy some time back that are recasts in not great shape, at all, because he was getting replacements and his modeling skills weren't up to trying to salvage them.

So, while I like the overall look of the guys, I didn't care for the weird bolted head-thing on them or the bizarre skull cavity in the middle of the chest. And given that most of the raised armor trim was so thin it broke in shipping, I took the opportunity to remove it all and go for a smoother, cleaner look.

f018zeA.png

LdaO7yU.png

Personally, I think they look heavier and more sinister with the smooth dome and the hole in the chest filled in to a natural point.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage, 13 November 2017 - 07:46 AM.

• WarriorFish, Chaplain Dosjetka and Major_Gilbear like this

dVIGLrG.pngC5pEYmg.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

In the grim darkness of the far future, hope is the first step to despair.

Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

++ ÆDIFICATOR BARBATOS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,941 posts

Looks like you had a productive weekend! I'm glad you found the other Cold One too, as I liked your efforts with the riders so far. :)

My Dark Angels 5th Company Painting Log (NB: images are now all fixed!)

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,598 posts

Update on the rough rider. 

Kr8LbG6.png

Putting the texture back on the leg wasn't as bad as I thought it would once I realized I could chop up the oyumaru mold and use it was a texture stamp. biggrin.png

I'm going to have to remake the plasgun mold because they all look like crap but I like the overall look of the mock up here.  

• Lexington, WarriorFish, Chaplain Dosjetka and 3 others like this

LordVelype

LordVelype

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 533 posts

Hmm, those look cool, but they aren´t Vostroyans to me tbh...

• Fenbain likes this

"I am starting to find you rather hot, mortal... wub.gif "

Shewhothirsts, to LordVelype

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,598 posts

Remember that these are my 8th ed. Vostroyans that got upgraded helmets in the wake of Saint Guilliman bringing new toys to all the good kids. 

Jg1k0F7.png

And there will be some sculpting work done to make these rough riders look more like traditional Vostys with the big coats and all that. 

• Bryan Blaire, walter h and Charlo like this

OakRiver

OakRiver

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 171 posts
  • Chapter Name: IX Legion

Great work. I have never had a lot of success using oyumaru to cast weapons, so if you have any tips I'd be happy to hear

LordVelype

LordVelype

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 533 posts

Remember that these are my 8th ed. Vostroyans that got upgraded helmets in the wake of Saint Guilliman bringing new toys to all the good kids. 

But there are the fur-hats?! huh.png biggrin.png

• Fenbain likes this

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,598 posts
The fur hats was the one thing I didn't like about the Vostys and now I have the ability to change it. I'll be doing some writing to accompany the figures as I build that has them in an environment where their normal respirator masks are insufficient and that regiment is given some low end skitarii helmets.

LordVelype

LordVelype

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 533 posts

Ah ok. That´s were disagree. I always loved the fur hats, but they are your models and all...

Do they still have theoretical mustaches under their breathing masks? :) 

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,598 posts

Of course they still have mustaches under the helms!

Finally sat down and dug through some of my vehicle sprues for some detailing on the Vostroyan tank destroyer and I think it's looking pretty good. 

gjAbeK6.png

lpuAC2D.png

Rocking that old school 2nd Edition tank hatch and the others are from the Manticore sprues with a few camera gubbins from some terminators to be the sights for the gunner. Next is finishing up the engine deck and exhaust and then rivets. Lots of rivets. 

• Sgt. Blank, Lexington and Chaplain Dosjetka like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,562 posts
  • Chapter Name: Catachan Wolves
Impressive work.

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,858 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Aurora Chapter

YAY LIZARD-HORSE. Dig that helm, too.

Any plan to do a high-back saddle or anything of the like?

gallery_23421_8142_1088.png

CardinalVirtue

CardinalVirtue

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 763 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Raven Order
I'm wondering for the rough riders if it would be worth adding bionics to help change up the poses? It would help with the repetition without having to sculpt a bunch of scales. Armoring them up could help hide some joins too. Both seem plausible with fluff, I imagine that trained riding dinosaurs are valuable and I doubt they'd let one go just because it was injured.

Edited by CardinalVirtue, 17 November 2017 - 06:39 PM.

• Major_Gilbear likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Conversions, Inquisitor, Horus Heresy, VIII Legion, Vostroyans, Astral Claws, XIV Legion, Dusk Raiders

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (7), Google (1)