The Minotaurs & also Horus (Updated August 18th)

Lorenzen

That kraatos dude looks very scibor doesnt he. 

Not really, considering he's actually scaled properly and has correct 28mm proportions (zing!).  Seriously though, I think Scibor's stuff is pretty overrated.  Kraatos has just the right level of filigree and bling on his armor without being over the top.

Kraatos is a really cool model..

Thanks for posting, I hadn't even heard about him. I hope FW cover more of the Badab war factions. But they'd have to rein in the HH stuff first..

Proportions on kraatos are normal marine proportions not scibor style, details fit in with established minotaur details (aiakos and moloc models).. just because scibor uses (and tends towards overuse) of swirly patterns hes made with press moulds does not detract from this model.. thatd be like saying horus is ugly because the eye motif is badly done and overused by another sculptor..

Your entitled to your opinion.

I get what you're saying. The FW Death Guard heads gave me a 'knock-off' feel, but everyone told me I must be wrong because they were true to the Visions stuff. Sometimes a concept can be 'stained' by prior poor execution, and while the Kraatos model might very well be better executed than the scribor stuff, the negative connotation from the latter affects your perception of the swirls. Same thing for me and the DG heads.

quick update for tonight on kraatos..

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/095/0/d/kraatos_by_typhion-d7d6t6p.jpg

and something that should really go in my other thread.. but i don't feel like its quite time to resurrect that just yet...

1982082_10152096745081406_1261526152_n.j

glory to the pale king....

That face is indeed unbelievable! Be honest now, you actually sculpted a much larger version of the head in order to be able to paint it like that, and you're just deceiving us now with the cleverly cropped image ;)

Oh, and those Minotaurs are amazing as well -- let's not forget that! :)

Thanks guys, I'm pretty pleased with how he's looking so far (hence him hijacking this thread) i did a few more touch ups to his visage this morning.. mainly getting the eyes to a stage that i liked and getting his hair a little darker.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/096/9/6/typhon_by_typhion-d7d9b0h.jpg

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/096/3/1/typhon2_by_typhion-d7d9af5.jpg

head isn't glued into place yet (hence the jaunty angle in the 1st pic) so i can paint the armour without messing it up, but i think its about done now bar the cables really.

*edit* no shady dealings going on here KrautScientist.. heres a link to the original photo in all its retardedly large glory just for you! tongue.png

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/096/a/5/giant_typhon_by_typhion-d7d9daw.jpg

(be warned its 3058x2889 and needs clicking on to enjoy at full size)

Utterly insane skill. Your Deathguard where one of the big inspirations for starting my own plog, and your prateor in particular is one of the finest examples of "30K" modelling i've seen - looks like Typhon is going to be even better somehow. Can't wait.

Oh - your Minotaurs are super fly as well obviously biggrin.png

Well, I hope it's clear that I was joking, but thanks all the same for proving me wrong msn-wink.gif

I have to say that the bare head included with Typhus had seemed more or less like an afterthought to me before - and I am normally a huge fan of unhelmeted marines - but your paintjob really changed my mind -- amazing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just head over to your DG thread and right-click the snot out of all the pictures for the benefit of my inspiration folder msn-wink.gif

yeah i figured tongue.png just a fan of the "purposefully not understanding sarcasm revolution" (i tend to listen to the alex baker show podcasts when i paint..)

I wasn't sold on the head at first as i thought it was a little too thin in comparison to Dominiks awesome sketch of him and was initially going to use the helmet.. but decided id paint it just to see if i wanted to use it afterall.. turns out i do! biggrin.png

*edit* your guitar is a lawgiver?!?! may have to rethink the baritone eclipse now.. I WANT A LAWGIVER

Back to Minotaurs for this update.. Working on getting the 2nd tactical squad to a decent level of painted so that i dont seem as much of an embarassment when playing games.. gotta start figuring out a 1650pt list soon and focus on painting for that..

10151995_10152099703771406_1885906288311

Archived