The Minotaurs & also Horus (Updated August 18th)

Lorenzen

McBeardface and friends are looking great and the use of the Rampager legs is inspired.

Got to echo everyone regarding the combi melta - for a painter of your standards to ignore that would just be wrong. Please don't take that the wrong way, the figure looks great, but it'd be let down by a lumpy area of the paintjob.

the gun has been removed, stripped and is in the process of being repainted, there was also a seam between the bolter and melta parts of the gun that i didnt like so thats been neatened up and has a purity seal hiding the part i was least impressed with.

For left handed marines i just followed the tutorial on here and talked it over with Blindhamster a bit. not really much more i can say on that to be honest, was just a matter of following the instructions and being very careful with the thumb repositioning.

There's a tutorial here in the Librarium, but that has closed down for now. Maybe someone has a copy or another thread with a similar tutorial?

I looked earlier in the painting and modeling tutorials and on the very last page there is a tutorial from 2006 on making left handed marines. The links to the pics are no good but the rest is still there and makes perfect sense with a little imagination and the pics of the marines in this topic.

Thanks for that, mikhail :) Oh, and expect an e-mail from me later on today or tomorrow. I've been out of contact with you for too long.

No problem, I wanted to try making some left handed marines and since Lorenzen was pretty vague about it I figured I would share my research. I look forward to your message I've missed you too.

Honestly i had no idea the tutorial was filled with dead links etc, its been a long time since i looked at it.. i'd consider doing an updated tutorial for it sometime if i get chance.

anyhoo its only a small update from me today, work has been getting in the way a lot as has work on loken for gd (though im torn between using him or moloc now tbh)

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/261/d/f/2nd_squad_by_typhion-d6mtljj.jpg

the guy on the right has been stripped and repainted to fit the newer bronze method and looks better for it imho, the guy on the left is almost complete now, needing his bolter drilled and a few transfers before basing.. and Idas (scowly mcbeardface) has had his combi weapon stripped, altered and repainted as well as a little work done to the white on his shoulder.. which i decided not to get into the photograph because im smart like that. sleep.png

There will be more death guard (and fire angels) just trying to get a core force made for the orpheus campaign me and some friends want to run.. i have about 4k of unpainted heresy stuff to work on before too long! ;)

I was just messing with you about the tutorial, Lorenzen. I just acquired some bits from the new tactical kit and I think that they would work pretty well for a left handed marine. I'm going to give it a go and I'll take pics of the process. If it works out I'll post a tutorial, your busy enough.

The small update looks great today. The combi-weapon looks great in the new split scheme. I can't wait to see the centurion in the Minotaurs colors as well.

Wow dude, the Combi-Weapon looks so much better. And i liked it before... Haha.

Any chance of a close up on Grandpa's face? It looks like you've given him liver spots. 

Do you paint skin from a beige colour with just washes?

I paint skin from vallejo's grey primer whenever possible (if the head is attatched to the model ala metal/finecast it usually gets a coat of dheneb stone just to get me started) the first couple of stages are washes, one is a mix of cadian fleshtone and administratum grey, next is a wash of terracotta, from there i use the cadia/admin mix to touch up any areas that are too dark (initial highlights etc) then i highlight with a mix of vmc basic skintone mixed with admin grey, put a light glaze of purple over the whole thing, glaze a little red over the lips, wash vmc german camo black brown around the eyes, paint in the eyes, touch up round the edges if necessary, then use glazes and washes to give them stubble etc, normally nuln oil but in the case of Idas i think i used german camo black brown to match his (unfinished) beard, it doesnt run as smoothly as a wash which is what gives him that patchy look to the top of his head oh and a small glaze of blue under the eyes can help too sometimes, though i missed that stage out on him.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/262/f/0/idas_by_typhion-d6mw148.jpg

Cheers buddy, I enjoy painting skin and trying to make each face look unique is always good fun.

Anyway this is probably the last time I'll have chance to take decent photos of him before sunday so I thought it best to take advantage of the free time..

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/264/5/7/garviel_loken_of_the_sons_of_horus_by_typhion-d6n8vk6.jpg

theres a few touch ups that still need to be done and im a little undecided if ill be taking him or Moloc.. but I'm leaning towards Loken just because of the amount of time he's taken me..

Back to those three Minotaurs up there... really struck by the pose on the guy on the left, how did you make him? I'd kill for a grey hunter in that pose. Those are new tac squad arms, I assume, but where are the legs from? Are they FW? (if I had to guess - Mk.IV assault squad?)

Bit of an update today.. got my 1st tactical squad standing at 7/10 men so far.. few transfers to apply and small bits to do on some of them (text on purity seals, camera lens, weathering etc.) but they I am pleased with the results so far.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/267/b/1/tactical_squad_1_by_typhion-d6nnpct.jpg

other than that heres how the rest of the squad stand and on the far left a very very WIP project..

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/267/d/0/wip_by_typhion-d6nnpgk.jpg

Archived