Night Lords 15th Company - In Memoriam...Pg.68

Good job, man! Low point games always seem to be a bit more fun to me, for some reason. Excellent looking army, Heinrich! 

Thanks man, I usually try to stay at 1500 or below for expediency and fun, big games like Apocalypse just wear me out.

For future reference, the only psychic powers you can do from a transport are witchfire powers (pg 25 BRB). Might help you gank that sorcerer next time! Looked like a fun game though, 1000 points?

Dragonlover

Awesome thanks for the heads up!

Looks like a good fun battle there too.

Yeah it sure was, as soon as I finish my vow the Night Lords and Word Bearers are gonna have a fully-painted 1500 point match :)

So happy to see the 15th back on the battlefield!

Your mini-battle reports are always my favorite.

Thanks Flint, glad you enjoy them!

Great report Heinrich! I love small battles and you both had such fluffy lists. Makes me want to play a game right now... Keep 'm coming!

Will do Augustus! I'd love to see your boys take to the field as well.

Update #1

Well here's my first official update for the Call of Chaos VII, did some work on the cultists and got the Daemonettes base-coated and all the metallic bits blocked in. I put some work in on the Landraider as well and I've only got a few more metal bits to do as well as the brass parts before the ink wash. The long war continues...

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Commissions/75d59f71-792a-4d1b-9dc2-6baac85697dd_zps0ace3dde.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Commissions/39e12233-63ab-4a7d-b6fe-56d6570f40de_zps67d1580e.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Commissions/e6b2b2e9-5665-40ad-a23f-ff2031865797_zpsb5b16e68.jpg

AVE DOMINUS NOX

Heinrich, I agree with Darth Patato that the crimson looks great. Now, as you might now I dread painting red. I did vow to complete my eight legged lord of skulls though, and I admit I am stalling with starting to paint because I fear screweing up the red. Could you tell me how you did this red? It looks so fab. :tu:

Curse you and your gorgeous painting!

That looks *too* damn good for being like the basecoat :P

Do you mind if I ask how you get the purple daemonette hair so weirdly vivid and neon-y? It's a really neat effect. 

That crimson on the Land Raider is freakin lush! :thumbsup:

Thanks man!

Heinrich, I agree with Darth Patato that the crimson looks great. Now, as you might now I dread painting red. I did vow to complete my eight legged lord of skulls though, and I admit I am stalling with starting to paint because I fear screweing up the red. Could you tell me how you did this red? It looks so fab. :thumbsup:

I just thinned out some Vallejo Gory Red, sprayed the tank from a 45° downward angle and from a top-down angle as well. After that I sprayed it with Nuln Oil wash straight out of the pot to darken it down. You've got to get a feel for how dark you want to make it as the Nuln Oil will darken it quickly and it drys darker than you think.

Curse you and your gorgeous painting!

That looks *too* damn good for being like the basecoat :tongue.:

Do you mind if I ask how you get the purple daemonette hair so weirdly vivid and neon-y? It's a really neat effect. 

It's just VGC Hexed Lichen, the effect on the hair is just a trick of the light, though it is a quite satisfying purple if I do say so myself.

Evening ladies and gents,

So for a while now I've been having a moral dilemma concerning my Night Lords captain, Hashec Tor. His redone form on a bike with the Black Mace has been ruthlessly destructive on the tabletop, however he just doesn't have the soul that the original Terminator-armored version did. When I originally started brainstorming this army back in late 2012, my initial vision of its leader was a skull-faced monster in archaic terminator armor. Unfortunately the way I kitted him out saw him killed in just about every single game he took part in and that led to me redesigning him.

I want to return to that original vision. I want the 15th to be great once more. No longer will they be slaves to daemonic powers and the games of the Darl Gods. Starting today, Hashec is putting on his terminator mantle once more...

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/10743693_10153269247648761_171839034_n_zps5c41e031.jpg

Brothers and Sisters, I need your help. What can I give Hashec to make him triumphant upon the field of battle? What is the blackest, most hate-filled, evil combination of equipment I can give him as a Terminator? I'm open to any suggestions from any of the 3 Chaos Space Marine books we have access to (Chaos Codex, Black Legion, or Crimson Slaughter supplements). Will you aid the 15th in it's time of need? 

AVE DOMINUS NOX

Tough one. Terminator Lords (and Captains, and Chapter Masters, for that matter...) have their work cut out for them to equal their biker counterparts. I know how you feel though, I have a foot version of Arkhan planned that will allow a lot more expression and 'soul' than his mounted incarnation.

Black Mace + Burning Brand of Skalathrax is a combination that's made my Sons of Tyr weep bitter tears of loss in the past. It's hard to guage how irritating an AP3 flamer is when it's got the Torrent rule (even more so if it's in a transport and being fired out of the top hatch). Maybe there's a relic to eclipse the Mace in the Crimson Slaughter book? If you face a lot of power armoured armies though, the Brand can transform Hashec from 'ponderous tank' to 'meat grinder who eats whole squads alive'. In melee, there's always the risk of hitting yourself in the face with the Mace, but it's powerful enough (especially vs horde units) that you'll be glad you took it.

I really enjoyed the battle report by the way, you're lucky to have some awesome terrain at your club. I would suggest checking out Frontline Gaming's terrain mats, I couldn't help but think that one of their wasteland mats would complement the area terrain you had perfectly (and make for a much nicer table). Well done on the victory - I would love to go up against the 15th with my own Seventh, I've said it before but yours is definitely an army you want to purge face on the tabletop.

Heinrich, I agree with Darth Patato that the crimson looks great. Now, as you might now I dread painting red. I did vow to complete my eight legged lord of skulls though, and I admit I am stalling with starting to paint because I fear screweing up the red. Could you tell me how you did this red? It looks so fab. :thumbsup:

I just thinned out some Vallejo Gory Red, sprayed the tank from a 45° downward angle and from a top-down angle as well. After that I sprayed it with Nuln Oil wash straight out of the pot to darken it down. You've got to get a feel for how dark you want to make it as the Nuln Oil will darken it quickly and it drys darker than you think.

Thanks! And black, grey or white undercoat?

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/10743693_10153269247648761_171839034_n_zps5c41e031.jpg

Brothers and Sisters, I need your help. What can I give Hashec to make him triumphant upon the field of battle? What is the blackest, most hate-filled, evil combination of equipment I can give him as a Terminator? I'm open to any suggestions from any of the 3 Chaos Space Marine books we have access to (Chaos Codex, Black Legion, or Crimson Slaughter supplements). Will you aid the 15th in it's time of need? 

AVE DOMINUS NOX

If you want to keep him cheap, give him a lightning claw, a power (or chain) fist. Perhaps a sigil of corruption? Perhaps MoT. Or both :D

You want Hashec to be a brutal killing machine made manifest in flesh as pale as ghosts and iron as dark as night? Then go to Codex Black Legion. You wish for a monster? Is the cost irrelevant? Than I have what you need. In one hand, you carry the Shiverspine blade, a brutally efficient weapon made for cutting through normal astartes warriors, granting you great speed and a flurry of attacks while rending through power armour like paper. In your other hand you carry an ancient relic, the Hand of Darkness. Though using it may grant you only one attack, there is no weapon as deadly as this. X2 Strength, AP 1, Armourbane, Fleshbane, Instant Death. With it you may crush the skull of a Daemon Prince as though it were with the frailty of an egg. A Sigil of Corruption, an icon that grants you unparalleled defense in the face of the enemy, and what's more imbue it with the blessing of the Raven God and even a Storm Shield of the Adeptus Astartes will not surpass your guard. A small sacrifice to make a deal with the Deity of Lies, but all things are worth the price of victory, no? Lastly, the Skull of Ker'ngar. Even the most mortal wound will not fell you and in a galaxy rife with witches and benders of the Warp, an added bonus of protection is nothing to scoff at, no? 

You ask for victory and I offer it to you, but the price will cost you greatly... But is victory not worth any cost?

I have to back Noctus up on this one.

The Shivverspine blade and the Hand of Darkness make a *stupid* powerful combination that can lay waste to anything you come across, as long as you aren't concerned with price.

Edited by Flint13

One other thing I would add is that to really get the most out of a beatstick HQ choice, you need a delivery system. Having read the rules for the Hand, I agree it's well worth the points - he'll laugh at Land Raiders, Knights, and anything that doesn't explicitly have Eternal Warrior. However if he's just trumping around on his feet he'll never get into combat with anything that's got even a smidgen of self-preservation instinct. I would look at finding Hashec a suitable means of transport that A) adds something overall to your list and B ) can be relied upon to transport him where you need without random vagaries of chance. (This means deep strike is out) I'd suggest looking at some of the LR variants in IA13 or even a Dreadclaw proxy for now.

Bottom line - it's always better to make sure your entire army synergises well together (and not shirk on upgrades for units that need it) than to sink points into a beatstick HQ that may or may not have an impact on the game.

Are you kidding? A man like that needs a Spartan Assault Tank with a full Terminator retinue :tongue.:

You know what, I wrote a sentence about the Spartan then deleted it thinking his reaction would be 'Sod off I'm not buying more just to cart him around' - but it would be interesting. Hell of a points sink though!

One other thing I would add is that to really get the most out of a beatstick HQ choice, you need a delivery system. Having read the rules for the Hand, I agree it's well worth the points - he'll laugh at Land Raiders, Knights, and anything that doesn't explicitly have Eternal Warrior. However if he's just trumping around on his feet he'll never get into combat with anything that's got even a smidgen of self-preservation instinct. I would look at finding Hashec a suitable means of transport that A) adds something overall to your list and B ) can be relied upon to transport him where you need without random vagaries of chance. (This means deep strike is out) I'd suggest looking at some of the LR variants in IA13 or even a Dreadclaw proxy for now.

Bottom line - it's always better to make sure your entire army synergises well together (and not shirk on upgrades for units that need it) than to sink points into a beatstick HQ that may or may not have an impact on the game.

This ^. It's the whole reason Abbaddon is hardly ever seen on the tabletop- monstrous powerful and expensive but never had a very efficient way of getting into combat... Until now (IA13).

Crimson Slaughter build would be Blade of relentless, slaughterers horns, demonheart, Sugih of corruption and your favourite mark.

As for regular chaos, why not consider the murdersword? I know the default is to go for the black mace but hear me out. The murder sword is really powerful when ever you are in base contact with the target- not in a challenge. So move up a generic sergeant /champ to take the Challenge with the opponent warlord. Meanwhile your man is S8 instant deathing all the targets cronies. You can then step up and use on the warlord. The psychological factor is immense- your enemy will pour hideous amounts of firepower into your Lord to stop you (protecting the rest of your force) or will keep his precious snowflake at arms length (and therefore usually useless).

I think all choas codexes can make really powerful lords- it's mobility that is the problem

Thanks for the responses guys, old Hashec has a spiffy Landraider for transport and I was thinking of throwing 8 berzerkers or 8 chosen in alongside him. Thoughts anyone? Also I'm not completely against getting a spartan, however I usually play games around the 1500 point level...

You could always go for Shock factor and use a Kharybdis Assault Claw (only a meltagun more expensive than a LR Phobos!). It has 20 transport capacity and doesn't force disembarkation upon arrival from deepstrike like other Pods and is an assault vehicle + Flyer than can shoot some/burninate.

This thing costs the same $$$ as a Spartan though.

Edited by Slipstreams

1) What about that boring old Axe of Blind Fury? Fairly cheap Lord really, add in the Sigil and you are golden ('Zerks are also troops with his Mok). Severed heads in the empty hand where the powerfist was?

2) Black Legion - Spineshiver Blade/Power Axe Combo - AP3 Daemon Weapon for munching squads, AP2 Axe in case of a pinch. MoN? (Chosen are also troops :smile.:)

3) Crimson Slaughter - Blade Relentless, Horns etc...etc...

What about magnetzing him at the wrists? Will give you a lot more choice, and the chance to paint all sorts of spandangly, evil looking weapons :devil: and be able to use what you have got.

For a ride I would say Spartan if you are buying more, or a Dreadclaw, how awesome in your NL scheme?!?! However, you already have a taxi for him for now :wink:

Absolutely beautiful army btw Bro Heinrich, love your conversions/gs/painting/fluff/battle reports (army looks great on the field). First chance I have had to go through it, as I said absolutely beautiful (in an 8 foot, murderin', flayin' psycho of the Long War kind of way); have all my likes for the day :biggrin.:

Edited by Midnight Runner