Night Lords 15th Company - In Memoriam...Pg.68

Carnivores: Complete

+++

Tracer-fire flashed up from the monolithic walls.  Thousands upon thousands of massive caliber sentry guns roared their fury into the heavens.  From the burning skies came an unstoppable wave of death.  Storm Eagle gunships and Thunderhawk landers streaked through the upper atmosphere.  Gargantuan troop ships and the impossibly monstrous coffin forms of Titan landers flew towards the world below, shattering the skies with their descent.  This was war on a scale never before witnessed in the history of mankind; this was the end of days, the Apocalypse.

Noctus gunned the accelerator of his jet bike and streaked through the blazing inferno.  Behind him, the brothers of the 18th Fanged followed on blazing contrails, riding brutal spears of midnight and bronze.  Noctus’ targeter pinged, signifying multiple contacts.  Narrowing his eyes, he spied a rival squadron of White Scars jet bikes arcing up from the spaceport to meet their assault.  He grinned beneath his helm at the prospect of meeting such worthy prey.

“Come brothers! It is time we taught the sons of Chogoris who the true hunters are!"

To his left, Norok Vaaz let loose with a thundering burst from the heavy bolter mounted to the front of his jet bike, roaring as he did so.  The remainder of the pack opened fire as well, pouring shells and tracers towards the oncoming White Scars.  As the distance closed, Noctus acquired a lock on one of the racing riders and fired the plasma cannon in the nose of his bike.  The glowing bolt of green plasma seared out struck the oncoming rider, burning through his war-plate and engulfing him in a blazing explosion.  An instant later, the two forces clashed, weaving amongst each other like warring raptors.  The aerial combat was as swift as it was deadly, consisting of a series of sweeping arcs and sudden strikes, with the victors soaring away as the fallen plummeted towards the earth like fiery comets.

Noctus watched with amusement as Tor Quintus chased down one of White Scars and smashed the warrior’s helm in with a blow from his war-hammer.  To his right Noctus saw Makelion lean out of his saddle to dodge a spear thrust from a rival rider, lashing out in return, he disemboweled his opponent with a sweep of his sword.  A shark’s grin split Noctus’ scarred visage; truly there was none who could match the 18th Fanged and it’s mastery of the skies.

Suddenly, a white flash struck from above and carved Zer Kun in half.  The leader of the White Scars brandished a wickedly curved power sabre and roared a wordless challenge at Noctus as he banked away from the falling form of Zer Kun.  Howling in rage, Noctus met the warrior’s oncoming charge.  Several times they met blades, banking away sharply and meeting again in a clash of energy and sparks.  At the fifth charge, Noctus fired a shot from his plasma cannon at the oncoming warrior.  Seeing the miniature sun racing towards him, the White Scar leap from the saddle with a cry of vengeance on his lips.  Noctus had a moment to register surprise as the energized blade carved towards his face.

+++

He opened his eyes, the memory of that burning blade and the warrior wielding it fading painfully into the depths of his eidetic memory.  He looked at the five warriors around him.  They were no longer part of the vaunted 18th Fanged, now they were simply the Carnivores.  The former outrider squadrons and scout detachments of the VIII Legion had all amalgamated into one great band in the days following the Heresy.  As organization and tradition had eroded away over the millennia, so too had whatever nobility and semblance of pride they had once possessed.  Now it seemed, only he still thought of those proud days, when they had stood side-by-side and fought in the shadows of gods and daemons.  Noctus was Terran-born, and the sight of his birth world riven by flame and war had never left him.  How glorious that vengeance had been, how sweet it was to ride to war against the world that had consigned his kith and kin to eke out a miserable existence in the prison sinks and depths of mankind’s birthplace.

Glancing from murderer to murderer, Noctus took in his ragged band. The Carnivores were a fractured entity; packs banded together and followed those with the strength to lead.  He suspected those that followed him now, did so simply because they always had, like beasts, their instincts led them to cling to the familiar.  Noctus beheld them now, his brothers, and felt the tendrils of melancholy creeping into his thoughts.   Where once they had soared through the skies on chariots of fire, they now raced through the dirt on pillaged bikes taken from White Scars and Dark Angels.  These had then been repaired through battlefield salvage and their own ingenuity.  They were a ruined brotherhood now, held together only by bitterness and their own primal urges.

Tellos breathed raggedly from beneath the brass skull mask welded to his face and sporadically gunned his chainaxe as he stared blankly into the middle distance.  Noctus remembered him from before, a warrior of impeccable poise who had bested several champions of the Emperors Children, much to their ire.  It was only after a greenskin had bitten most of his face off that he began to change.  

Norok Vaaz, once his loyal brother, was now little more than a loyal dog.  He had given up on actual speech decades ago and now simply communicated through a series of roars and grunts.  Though the capacity for speech had all but left him, his skill with a blade had only improved with the ages.  His bike and armor were covered in flayed skin and he carried a wicked adamantium billhook with which he performed his bloody work.

Tor Quintus still carried his war-hammer, though it had been at least 20 years since Noctus had seen his face, in fact he doubted his brother could even remove his armor anymore.  Kept together through his own ingenious artifice, Tor Quintus’s war-plate was covered in additional reinforcements and molecular bonding studs. It was no wonder he had survived through a thousand years of unending war.

Nimble Makelion still rode beside him as well, twin lighting strikes bisecting each eye lens of his snarling war-helm.  Like the others, he rarely spoke, though Noctus suspected more often than not that behind those lighting-slashed eyes, lurked the specter of betrayal.  Makelion sought to lead the pack and only Noctus’ deadly ability with a chainglaive kept his ambitions in check.

Raising a gauntlet to the plasteel rebreather clamped around his face, Noctus traced the surgical scars that had sewn his ruined aspect back together.  He would never forget the warrior in white who had nearly killed him on the day he returned home.

+++

Man, these guys have truly been a test of endurance, nothing on them came easily, from modeling, to painting, to the fluff. Every part has been like pulling blood from a stone. However in the end I think it was worth it. I'm really pleased with the identity I've created for them and the character that each model has. Be sure, as always, to let me know what you guys think.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/61877fd3-0945-4c8f-b4bc-395a8eda0739_zps228ce3aa.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/02c8a9ea-4a42-4180-a0da-fc3d047ad63b_zps7bd6fe75.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/8d70dc1c-e153-43e7-b3da-6d05b35abcc2_zps5b4c99da.jpg

Noctus Cornix, Pack Leader, Carnivore Brotherhood, 15th Company, VIII Astartes Legion.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/f6f7bff0-faaa-42c4-ae69-aca8b4ee6493_zps1ced7f4a.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/f17ba89a-805a-42b2-afb6-a08c40f806eb_zpsafee5840.jpg

Norok Vaaz (Maximvs), Carnivore Brotherhood, 15th Company, VIII Astartes Legion.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/d93b7bd3-b506-4329-86a9-8caf4541504e_zpsecda6a91.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/903013f6-eedb-4d60-abdc-b59d4b0c9520_zps0c42a391.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/1f8d6f94-46fc-40ce-ba8a-014e3ad3e39a_zpsfefef712.jpg

Tor Quintus (Capitano), Carnivore Brotherhood, 15th Company, VIII Astartes Legion.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/d99027f6-78ff-49e0-af84-0e29181bedc4_zps2b82b143.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/0ee24a87-34f1-463f-b327-98f73b97042c_zpsd040e634.jpg

Tellos (Tellos05), Carnivore Brotherhood, 15th Company, VIII Astartes Legion.

*Hope this guy satisfies my 'Lord Humongous' quota heathens ;)

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/9283ca47-9bd9-40eb-9cfd-3f9417e9a1bf_zps64415a01.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/cae63689-6f5b-45cc-82f5-3166ba26b371_zpsd0931b92.jpg

Makelion (TRIBUN), Carnivore Brotherhood, 15th Company, VIII Astartes Legion.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/e78799b6-80d1-4fc9-96de-71986264f180_zps898435bd.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/24250871-4cdc-4d10-a4b0-21516d55a473_zps1dd1c6fa.jpg

Last but not least, I touched up the front of 1st Claw's Rhino with more blood, as 1000heathens suggested, and added a Roman Numeral 'VIII' to the front.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/8d77c591-f9e1-4ce0-8419-927f07e18e88_zps67919801.jpg

AVE DOMINUS NOX

You're part of a select group in my mind that just delivers. Time after time I find myself in awe over how you're able to transform models, and the paintwork that releases the character that's trapped within these terrifying warriors. These guys are definitely my favorite unit to date. Freakin spectacular, man.

Awesome job brother. Lovely fluff and models. Oh, and love myself by the way, the model with the hookbill always hook'd me :laugh.:

Blood for th... Nostramo!

EDIT: Out of likes :( but you make me to post my 666th post, so bi-winning here :D

Edited by Maximvs

A very, very impressive work you did here. But its a bit to much for my loyalist heart and the stories with the templars were the straw that broke the camels back:

They wore the armour of nobel warriors, of proud Astartes, but within they were nothing more than scum. Even the simple mind of animals put their skills to a better use than this dregs. They were thugs in their heart and now they had died like them.

Kastellan Konrad stood above the broken body of their leader, his jumppack still oozing oil into the ground mixing it with the blood of the traitor.

No smile came to Konrads face while he looked on the Night Lord. He didnt cherish this victory. Despise was everything he felt now.

The Night Lords had belived to be clever and thought to knew how to destroy the Templar force.

They had tried to lure them into ambushes, but the Templars used the opportunity to fight the traitors sepereated.

They had tried to provoking them into charging them, wanting to gun the Templars down. They had counted on the Templars Knights Honour, but they forgot that a honour is only granted to honorable opponents. A Peasant is just to be put down.

When everything failed -their causlties increasing because of their misjudgement- they tried their ultimate weapon: Shock and fear.

Oh, fearsome they were, a screaming jetpack assault the Templars had never seen alike. Nothing -not even the fight against the Deamon horde on Jost Secundus- was such a terrible spectacle. But that was it: A spectacle. Fear and shock was something that was utterly wasted on the Templars. Their armour of faith and dedication stronger than any ceramite.

When the Night Lords swept down a hail of bolterfire greeted them. Their screaming made it easy to spot them soon and it costed them dearly. However their clash was immense and brutal close combat commenced.

The Night Lord champion had grinned from his face mask as if the whole battle was going according to his plan and he had finally caught his prey.

Konrad spoke no word, his face had no expression. He was not here for sport or fun. He was performing his duty. This was no noble warrior. Every word would have been wasted. Speaking to the traitor would only stain himself.

The Night Lord jumped on Konrad, his lightning claws aiming at his legs, dedicated to cripple Konrad. Konrad had doged the attack only barley, but he did. He saw that the Night Lord was a hunter. Perhaps the best hunter someone could imagine. But now his skill of hunting were lost. His prey always wanted to be caught.

Now a different set of skills were required: Swordmanship. The Night Lord had no finesse and thought it to be his strenght. But it was only his downfall.

Konrad saw that the abdomination wasnt used to fight someone unaffacted by his ...spectacle. He caught the traitor looking to the sides as if he was expecting someone. But around him his fellows were outnumbered and put down one after another.

The claws ripped a crusader seal from his armour and the Heretic tried to use that to provoke him into something.

Konrad fired a shot from his boltpistol instead using the time of the taunt. The Bolt missed the head and hit the jumppack behind. Steam blew into the neck of the Traitor, who ignored the pain. But he was irritated again and Konrad used the moment to end it.

He began a series of strikes with his sword. The Night Lord was parrying the first without effort, the second too. The third put his parrying claw in a bad position, so the forth clearly costed the Night Lord some effort. That was Konrads skill. Blow after blow went on the Night Lord, leaving no time to counterattack. The Night Lord moved back; every parry more desparate than the one before, until the last.

Eighteen strikes in a row were enough. The Sword broke the last parry impaling the traitor through the chestplate. Konrad wasted no time with triumph. He pulled the sword free and stroke the unguarded head of the traitor, ending his disbeliving look.

"For the emperor" was the first word Konrad spoke since the Raptors had assualted them.

"There are still some of them left in the ruins, find them and put them down." he told his brothers and he felt proud to see his noble Astartes and Neophytes standing before him.

Apothecary Volmar was ending the struggle of a wounded Neophyt and their duty continued, after he put his crusader seal back on.

I, Brother Scipio, answer the call of honour and vow to avenge the terrible fates of the loyalist slain by this night lord warband before year-end.

Scipio, 'tis ironic that your Templar's name shares resemblance with that of our fallen Primarch. :teehee:

You mean that the Night Lord fell due to Konrads doing? No pretty unironic

http://www.gw-fanworld.net/images/smilies/greets%20%286%29.gif

http://www.gw-fanworld.net/images/smilies/adler.png
Edited by Dark Scipio

They look great, bro.

Very cool bikers. I particuarly like the way you've done the Melta weapons. Any chance of a tutorial/guide/general method? I'd love to do something similar for the special weapons on my bikers.

Beautifull just beautifull

<3

Thanks man, keep up the awesome work with your Death Guard.

You're part of a select group in my mind that just delivers. Time after time I find myself in awe over how you're able to transform models, and the paintwork that releases the character that's trapped within these terrifying warriors. These guys are definitely my favorite unit to date. Freakin spectacular, man.

*Glowing with pride* Thanks Darth, your compliments are fuel for my creative fire. Keep doing awesome things in your Siege of Terra thread as well :)

The bikes look great, Heinrich, and nice touches on the Rhino. Looking forward to seeing the other tanks finished.

Thanks Raz! Working on the next Rhino at this very moment.

Very, very good work on fluff as on the models. Thank you for the dedication.

Thanks man, glad you liked you character :)

gallery_37532_5424_58260.jpg

Thanks as always Heathens :D

Awesome job brother. Lovely fluff and models. Oh, and love myself by the way, the model with the hookbill always hook'd me :laugh.:

Blood for th... Nostramo!

EDIT: Out of likes :sad.: but you make me to post my 666th post, so bi-winning here :biggrin.:

666th post is an awesome honor, glad you chose to place your evil with me and glad you like your character :)

Man.... I'm a badass. :wub.:

I do try ;)

I think the marine bike models are ugly, and too big and clunky, so it's the rare modeler that can make them look good. Well done, Heinrich.

Thanks Kage, always high praise coming from you :)

Well done indeed, these are superb.

Thanks!

A very, very impressive work you did here. But its a bit to much for my loyalist heart and the stories with the templars were the straw that broke the camels back:

They wore the armour of nobel warriors, of proud Astartes, but within they were nothing more than scum. Even the simple mind of animals put their skills to a better use than this dregs. They were thugs in their heart and now they had died like them.

Kastellan Konrad stood above the broken body of their leader, his jumppack still oozing oil into the ground mixing it with the blood of the traitor.

No smile came to Konrads face while he looked on the Night Lord. He didnt cherish this victory. Despise was everything he felt now.

The Night Lords had belived to be clever and thought to knew how to destroy the Templar force.

They had tried to lure them into ambushes, but the Templars used the opportunity to fight the traitors sepereated.

They had tried to provoking them into charging them, wanting to gun the Templars down. They had counted on the Templars Knights Honour, but they forgot that a honour is only granted to honorable opponents. A Peasant is just to be put down.

When everything failed -their causlties increasing because of their misjudgement- they tried their ultimate weapon: Shock and fear.

Oh, fearsome they were, a screaming jetpack assault the Templars had never seen alike. Nothing -not even the fight against the Deamon horde on Jost Secundus- was such a terrible spectacle. But that was it: A spectacle. Fear and shock was something that was utterly wasted on the Templars. Their armour of faith and dedication stronger than any ceramite.

When the Night Lords swept down a hail of bolterfire greeted them. Their screaming made it easy to spot them soon and it costed them dearly. However their clash was immense and brutal close combat commenced.

The Night Lord champion had grinned from his face mask as if the whole battle was going according to his plan and he had finally caught his prey.

Konrad spoke no word, his face had no expression. He was not here for sport or fun. He was performing his duty. This was no noble warrior. Every word would have been wasted. Speaking to the traitor would only stain himself.

The Night Lord jumped on Konrad, his lightning claws aiming at his legs, dedicated to cripple Konrad. Konrad had doged the attack only barley, but he did. He saw that the Night Lord was a hunter. Perhaps the best hunter someone could imagine. But now his skill of hunting were lost. His prey always wanted to be caught.

Now a different set of skills were required: Swordmanship. The Night Lord had no finesse and thought it to be his strenght. But it was only his downfall.

Konrad saw that the abdomination wasnt used to fight someone unaffacted by his ...spectacle. He caught the traitor looking to the sides as if he was expecting someone. But around him his fellows were outnumbered and put down one after another.

The claws ripped a crusader seal from his armour and the Heretic tried to use that to provoke him into something.

Konrad fired a shot from his boltpistol instead using the time of the taunt. The Bolt missed the head and hit the jumppack behind. Steam blew into the neck of the Traitor, who ignored the pain. But he was irritated again and Konrad used the moment to end it.

He began a series of strikes with his sword. The Night Lord was parrying the first without effort, the second too. The third put his parrying claw in a bad position, so the forth clearly costed the Night Lord some effort. That was Konrads skill. Blow after blow went on the Night Lord, leaving no time to counterattack. The Night Lord moved back; every parry more desparate than the one before, until the last.

Eighteen strikes in a row were enough. The Sword broke the last parry impaling the traitor through the chestplate. Konrad wasted no time with triumph. He pulled the sword free and stroke the unguarded head of the traitor, ending his disbeliving look.

"For the emperor" was the first word Konrad spoke since the Raptors had assualted them.

"There are still some of them left in the ruins, find them and put them down." he told his brothers and he felt proud to see his noble Astartes and Neophytes standing before him.

Apothecary Volmar was ending the struggle of a wounded Neophyt and their duty continued, after he put his crusader seal back on.

I, Brother Scipio, answer the call of honour and vow to avenge the terrible fates of the loyalist slain by this night lord warband before year-end.

I'm speechless. Never been a big fan of bikes, but these guys certainly are an exception. They're like the five horsemen of terror.

This have long been my favourite thread here, keep up the awesome work!

Haha, thanks man! In Soviet Nostramo, we have 5 Horsemen of Apocalypse!

Scipio, 'tis ironic that your Templar's name shares resemblance with that of our fallen Primarch. :teehee:

I thought so as well lol.

great work all of it, abd also converted bike, even working ob converted chaos bikes right now, so know how mich work it is, but keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing more

Thanks man! Always glad to have the support of our erstwhile brothers in the Balefire Legion!

You mean that the Night Lord fell due to Konrads doing? No pretty unironic

http://www.gw-fanworld.net/images/smilies/greets%20%286%29.gif
http://www.gw-fanworld.net/images/smilies/adler.png

Wrong neighborhood to be slingin' Aquilas around in my friend...

Those bikes look awesome. I love the blades all over them and the super clean paint jobs. The host of weapons besides normal chainswords always spices things up too.

Thanks Dan, variety is the spice of life as they say ;)

They look great, bro.

Very cool bikers. I particuarly like the way you've done the Melta weapons. Any chance of a tutorial/guide/general method? I'd love to do something similar for the special weapons on my bikers.

Thanks man, I'll see if I can cobble something together to give you guys an idea of how I built them.

Wow. Now this is really how Night Lords should look.

Thanks!

Wow... Brilliant stuff. The paintjob really makes the different bitz blend together seamlessly. The use of bitz feels very inspired. So much to like, but my absolute favorite must be the Minotaur.

Haha, glad you like him, keep up your awesome Iron Hands work as well!

I'll come back when I think of a compliment that does those guys justice. Right now I'm :jawdrop:

lol I'll accept that as well brother ;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--3ozCuJlrIg/UgqhaxtAudI/AAAAAAAAJbY/8_6ktsysWHI/s1600/awesome.jpg

And the bikes

and the guys with knives

and guns

and skulls

and flayed skin

and the other guys not covered with that short list...which is I think no one honestly...