The forum servers seem to have settled down, so I'm going to take the opportunity to post my finished army project from the past year.  It's a 1500 point Alpha Legion army that I took to this year's Astronomi-con, which a tournament that my gaming group goes to every year.  It turned out that I pretty much didn't paint much for a good part of the year and had to scramble to get the army done in time.  I ended deciding to change my list to an absolutely terrible Abaddon/chosen list about a month before in order to reduce the model count of the army.  

More pictures and ramblings here.

http://shiftedmatrix.com/wp-content/gallery/alpha_legion_done/chosen1.jpg

http://shiftedmatrix.com/wp-content/gallery/alpha_legion_done/chosen2.jpg

http://shiftedmatrix.com/wp-content/gallery/alpha_legion_done/termifist.jpg

http://shiftedmatrix.com/wp-content/gallery/alpha_legion_done/lord2.jpg

http://shiftedmatrix.com/wp-content/gallery/alpha_legion_done/rhinoradar.jpg

Here's a quick rundown on how I did the blue armour:

- prime black

- basecoat regal blue

- quick hilight with 50/50 regal blue/hawk turquoise mix, mainly to just pick out areas that will be hilighted

- shade with 50/50 blue/black mix

- further shade/blackline with pure black

- clean up the shading with regal blue

- re-hilight with the blue/turquoise mix, this time much neater and actually working to blend in the colours

- hilight with pure turquoise

- hilight with 50/50 turquoise/scorpion green mix

- hilight with scorpion green

- final thin edge hilight with 50/50 scorpion green/white

Any comments/criticisms/questions are welcome as always.

Awesome stuff, especially like the Rhino. My one critique would probably be the Terminators, I feel like they could have been a little more Chaos-y. Top notch paint job though.

Yeah they do look pretty non-chaosy.  The rest of the army isn't exactly all tentacles and whatnot though, just some helmet horns here and there with some chaosy armour trim so it doesn't look too jarring to me, but I totally get where you're coming from.   With the terminators my thought process was pretty much "I just paid $Texas for these things and they look really cool as is, do I really want to mess them up with my sub-par conversion skills?  Also I have to finish these in a few weeks."  I did put a bit of the chaos-y trim on the top of the armour though.   

This is probably the best Alpha Legion army I've ever seen.

You nailed the colours and I absolutely love the chosen.  I know Astro can be loaded with amazing armies... it always  is here. But even so I'm sure you scored quite well with that handsome lot.

I had so many bits and forgeworld pieces , and shoulder pads bought and ready to go on a big Alpha Legion project, but I couldn't come up with a scheme I really liked. and I also wanted a weathered look, and I couldn't do it (it would seem) with the Alpha Legion.

Your army is super neat but I think it looks awesome. Like I said, you nailed the base colour. I just wish there was more. ;)

There is a delicious amount of awesomeness to take in, here.  A lovely mix of subtle, subdued colors with fancy paintwork to make it really stand out :)

My one tiff is the holstering of bolters on the backpacks.  It looks pretty awkward, really.

There is a delicious amount of awesomeness to take in, here. A lovely mix of subtle, subdued colors with fancy paintwork to make it really stand out smile.png

My one tiff is the holstering of bolters on the backpacks. It looks pretty awkward, really.

Yeah, one of my friends told me that about the bolters too. I wanted them on the models because I wanted to be able to run them as normal chaos marines with all the kit options and be more or less WYSIWIG. I would have done something like having them hanging by straps which would have looked a lot better, but I'm not confident enough with my sculpting ATM to try something like that on an army wide scale. Sticking them on the backpacks was kind of a 'good enough' compromise given the deadline I made for myself with the tournament.

This is probably the best Alpha Legion army I've ever seen.

You nailed the colours and I absolutely love the chosen. I know Astro can be loaded with amazing armies... it always is here. But even so I'm sure you scored quite well with that handsome lot.

I had so many bits and forgeworld pieces , and shoulder pads bought and ready to go on a big Alpha Legion project, but I couldn't come up with a scheme I really liked. and I also wanted a weathered look, and I couldn't do it (it would seem) with the Alpha Legion.

Your army is super neat but I think it looks awesome. Like I said, you nailed the base colour. I just wish there was more. msn-wink.gif

Thanks, I'm really happy with how the base colour came out as I had to do a fair bit of trial and error until I achieved the colour that I had in my mind. A heavily weathered blue/green Alpha Legion scheme would be kind of hard to pull off I think, especially on an army scale. I think I've seen only a handful of good examples of it, which were a handful of truescale converted marines that were probably more display/competition pieces rather than gaming pieces. I might still add more to the Alphas to make the list I originally wanted to take to Astro but the hobby project A.D.D. is hitting me pretty hard right now, so who knows?

Wonderful, just wonderful ! The blending is outstanding. You should take better pictures though. I think your paint job deserves it. Oh, the bolters on the backs freak me out a bit ermm.gif

I hope you will add some more troops brother. Fantastic Alphas thumbsup.gif

• 1 year later...
Posted · Hidden by Bryan Blaire, April 27, 2015 - Threadomancy most foul! Two years!
Hidden by Bryan Blaire, April 27, 2015 - Threadomancy most foul! Two years!
Your coloration is beautiful! Bravo, very impressed, have you tried to paint Dynat?

Archived