Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chapter Traits in the new C: SM Book

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

L30n1d4s

L30n1d4s

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 485 posts
  • Chapter Name: Celestial Lions
I am most excited about this ;)

If done properly, I think this can make an exceptional foundation for all non DA/BA/SW loyalists chapters, as well as solid "springboard" for Supplements to C: SM, such as White Scars, Ultramarines, Salamanders, etc.

Here is my stab at Chapter Traits for the new book, if I had a say in the matter (which, of course, I do not ;) ) ---

CHAPTER TRAITS
**Must choose one of these when designing an army list. If you have more than one, must pick which applies for your army, as you can only have one.

1 - Death from Above --- This army excels at Orbital Assaults, in particular the employment of Drop Pods and Aerial Transports --- All Drop Pods and Flyers may come in on turn 1 or 2 automatically (note before game which turn they come in), otherwise they come in from reserves normally.

2 - Unyielding Defiance --- This army excels at holding a positon at all costs, no matter the overwhelming odds against them --- All non-vehicle units have the Stubborn USR and, when within 3" of an Objective, are Fearless and have FNP (6+).

3 - Strike like the Storm --- This army excels at rapid mechanized assaults and exploiting enemy weaknesses with assaults from unexpected quarters --- All units have the Scout USR.

4 - Unrivaled Prowess --- This army excels at a balanced approach to combat, adroitly integrating offense and defense to apply overwhelming force to destroy the enemy's center of gravity at the critical moment --- All non-vehicle units may choose to automatically fail any morale test they are required to take and, in one Shooting or Assault Phase per game, all non-vehicle units may re-roll 1s To Hit.

5 - Hunter of the Shadows --- This army excels at highly mobile, asymmetric warfare which emphasizes guile, deception, and surgically executed missions to defeat the enemy with "death from a thousand cuts" --- All infantry in Scout/Power/Artificer Armor have the Infiltrate USR and all Scout/Scout Biker/Landspeeder Storm units have the Stealth USR.

6 - Hammer of Steel --- This army excels at brutal, direct assaults with heavily armored infantry and siege vehicles storming unstoppably through the enemy forces and defenses --- All Tank-type vehicles gain +1 hull point and D3 Terminator/Assault Terminator squads are scoring units (but not a Troops choice).
Freedom is not Free

dswanick

dswanick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,188 posts
  • Chapter Name: Legio XI

I don't know.  There's a reason that Chapter Traits went away in the 4th Ed Codex.  Unless your wishlist came with a hefty price-tag, it perfectly demonstrates the brokenness of the concpet.

QUOTE (Loki-LaughingDeath @ Feb 11 2011, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love Tau in CC, it's like clubbing baby seals, only tau are neither cute nor fluffy or protected by the Maritime Mammal Act..... so it's perfectly legal and the Sierra Club ASPCA nuts won't come looking for you!

QUOTE (-Max- @ Aug 1 2011, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the regular Guardsman you've got Commissars holding guns to their backs. They're faithful in their own way, sometimes mightily so, but they are regular folks who've led regular lives, with the completely understandable desire to continue living that causes them to duck when they get shot at. Sisters are orphans raised in perpetual Sunday school, fanatical to the point that they look at Repentia and feel a twinge of jealousy that those girls will see the Emperor sooner than they will.

Marshal Sampson of Terra

Marshal Sampson of Terra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,336 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Lords

The chapter traits created an incredibly diverse system of chapter creation. The Combat Tactics rule does not even come close. These chapter traits look good, nothing too game breaking. I would like to see the return of the disadvantages though if we saw a new chapter traits system. 

scrimdog

scrimdog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines!!!!
I really enjoyed reading your ideas, I think the basic structure is there, but they are just to similar to warlord traits for me . I want something that really make my army stands out. I think this combined with new and more variable weapons options are just the start. But who knows what we will get if we get anything similar to this I would be more than happy to continue with my beloved marines, iv seen GW do a lot worse over the years.

Any more ideas you haven't put down?

greatcrusade08

greatcrusade08

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,385 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
    sisters of battle

3 - Strike like the Storm --- This army excels at rapid mechanized assaults and exploiting enemy weaknesses with assaults from unexpected quarters --- All units have the Scout USR.

Marry me

Naminé

Naminé

++ BELENOS CLARUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 755 posts
  • Chapter Name: Praetorian Marines

Marry me

Lol that would be so ridiculously broken for ALL units to have that.

Check out my 40k short story! 7TH W/L/D = 17/0/2
sigcopy_zpse7dd1db1.jpgETL_2014_Banner_V2_03A_Custos_Fidei_zpsa

greatcrusade08

greatcrusade08

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,385 posts
    sisters of battle

i think its a workable first draft.. make it like the chaos traits, D3 units or something like that.. or make it so that it only affects jump troops or PA only.

given the nerf to scouting units in 6th, its not as bad as it first sounds tbh

Ultramarini

Ultramarini

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 562 posts
Those all seem quite overpowered. I'd like the Drop Pod trait myself but I don't know if being able to land all my pods in one turn is worth giving up Combat Tactics or those other sweet traits. Ahazra Redth is also a close match for the Infiltrate/Scout ability.

Agitatis Ultramarini

Dominitis Ultramarini

Non praestatis Ultramarini

Nobilitis Ultramarini

Humanity has always looked skyward for its true path.

We stood at the edge of destruction, and would have fallen,
If not for the might of the God-Emperor, and his Angels of Death.
Forged in blood.
Tempered in battle.
We are the living weapons of humanity.
The Space Marines.

Forza St. Pauli

Forza St. Pauli

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 208 posts

Basically I like your ideas, but regarding the upcoming release of C: SM I don't see the meaning of this thread...rolleyes.gif

Edited by Forza St. Pauli, 07 August 2013 - 11:47 AM.

I fear no evil. I fear no death. For the Emperor will protect me.

QUOTE (Seahawk @ Aug 16 2012, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tyranid War Veterans aren't anything in particular, they're just sprinkled throughout the company like oregano, adding an additional spice to the meatballs already there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users