Vlka Fenryka - The Volsung

Creamywynch

@kiltwdMarine. Yikes! Having a deadline makes it even worse. Sooo frustrating when it happens. Made me question my whole priming method. Did I shake the can properly? What was the temperature of the can and outside? was my garage cooler than outside because it's in the shade etc etc. Scared to prime anything again now :D

@MosesGunn. Thanks :) Pleases you have enjoyed reading through. I have had a search for Krylon before as it has been recommended a few times over the years but I can't find it Jeremy in the UK. I use Halfords car primer most of the time and that stuff is great (and cheap). The army painter is just to shortcut a base coat stage and save me some work. Gonna go back to the Halfords. That has never failed me yet

@kiltwdMarine. Yikes! Having a deadline makes it even worse. Sooo frustrating when it happens. Made me question my whole priming method. Did I shake the can properly? What was the temperature of the can and outside? was my garage cooler than outside because it's in the shade etc etc. Scared to prime anything again now :D

@MosesGunn. Thanks :) Pleases you have enjoyed reading through. I have had a search for Krylon before as it has been recommended a few times over the years but I can't find it Jeremy in the UK. I use Halfords car primer most of the time and that stuff is great (and cheap). The army painter is just to shortcut a base coat stage and save me some work. Gonna go back to the Halfords. That has never failed me yet

@RikuEru. That's annoying! It is easy to forget to do that when you are mid job. I am starting to think it is a mixture of alot of things that caused it to fail. Temperature, humidity, process, the whole shebang :)

• 5 weeks later...

Been working on my 30K Vlka Fenryka Assault Squad in small increments over the last month or so, slowly building up sections of the models as the inspiration/will came to me

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg600/creamywynch/IMG_09661_zps8mykh5hj.jpg

My blood claws have been used in my last few games of 30k as stand in's for an assault squad, but I wanted to mix in some 30k models so the squad has a heresy vibe. I also wanted the option to run 20+ assault marines (even though in every game they have performed terribly for me, and seem horribly overcosted for what they do) and had the bits lying around to make most of them.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg600/creamywynch/IMG_09671_zpssnu5vokt.jpg

I used a mix of 40k assault marine and B&C torsos, with legs coming from my bits box (with some work to make them more heresy in feel, such as trimming the knee guards and adding rivets to the armour) or from Anvil Industries. Pretty impressed with the quality of these, as I am with everything I have got from Anvil so far. I like the more MK3 feel to them even though the squad is primarily using MK4 armour.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg600/creamywynch/IMG_09681_zpsyirdubcp.jpg

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg600/creamywynch/IMG_09691_zpsbywc7bpr.jpg

I have been chopping up a load of my older marine models that I don't use to give them a new lease of life mixing, then into the heresy squads. The weapons you see already painted are pillaged from a few Grey Hunters that are being assimilated into special/heavy weapon squads (more on this in another post). I am rather fond of the brutal look of the weapons, and make a nice contrast to the chain swords the rest of the squad are armed with, and fit in with the blood claws (who will still be doubling up as assault marines as their backpacks are magnetised so they can run with jumps packs if needed).

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg600/creamywynch/IMG_09701_zpscx1k1vnl.jpg

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg600/creamywynch/IMG_09721_zpsjgzexqun.jpg

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg600/creamywynch/IMG_09711_zpsukpir032.jpg

Really loving building my Space Wolves at the mo. Playing 30K has been a breath of fresh air and thoroughly enjoyable. The rule set obviously suffers from the same issues as 40K but with no formations, fluffy missions and narrative play encouraged, transforms the game into something much more to my liking.

Edited by Creamywynch

• 2 months later...

Howdy brothers! Been a while.

Before Christmas I picked up a couple of Rapier laser destroyers off eBay for quite cheap because they did not come with any crew members and I was confident I could convert up a set of my own when I got round to building them.

A friend had been savaging me in our games of 30k with a pair of his quad mortars, and I was determined to get my revenge and fight fire with fire :D (and because they are really effective at rooting out those pesky heavy weapon squads hiding in buildings and such).

img_1026.jpg

img_1024.jpgi

img_1023.jpg

img_1021.jpg

img_1022.jpg

Because I did not want to fork out on 2 more from forge world to get the quad Mortar guns I decided to convert up my own. After a fruitless search through my bits box for anything suitable I suddenly remembered I had bought a long time ago a converted nurgle land raider from eBay which had 2 forge fiend cannons replacing the usual Lascannon sponsons. Perfect! The LR was going to a friend (who wants the normal loadout) so these were good to use and bad the right sort of shape a barrel I was after.

I started out by magnetising the bottom cover to the main gun stand (although later discovered this is completely pointless as the guns slot in easily to the struts on the stand so there is no need to take it out) and then inserted 5mm magnets in the gun tab holes on the stand. I drilled two 5mm holes to either side of the lasers (was trying these out first before moving onto the mortars) and then inserted the magnets (made a bit of a mess of it as my drill was very blunt and was wandering all over the place, but it is hidden when mounted, so I will leave it). It all fit well so I moved onto the mortars.

I first started on the barrels by cutting them down so they matched the stubby length of the original forge world ones (not perfectly but enough) and then sawed off the bottom sections of the stock so I could fit the 1mm plasticard struts I had cut out. The ball joint holes (from the forge fiend attachment) were filled in and I sculpted (fairly poorly) the trim to match the rest of the stock, although I did go round and trim off the chaosy bits, so it now has a more baroque than chaos aesthetic (which fits in fine with my SW's). Finally I used two little pipe plugs from Zinge industries to block off two of the barrels to make it into a quad Mortar. Works well I think :)

img_1027.jpg

img_1025.jpg

Now the guns were finished I moved onto the crews. Decided I wanted them to be in MK3 armour so I purloined a few from my Prospero box set. Not much conversion work needed on them really, apart from a little repose on the gunner legs, a few arm tweaks and the signal packs on them (used Zinge industries again for the Baden of the antennae). Really quite pleased with the whole thing, although the guns might not fit into the plain aesthetic of the heresy as much, they work for my army nicely :)

Also been finishing painting up a plasma long gang squad to use both in 40 & 30k. Didn't want to purchase the Heresy cannons as I am a cheapskate and had these ones already. I actually used some already painted models that I had languishing at the bottom of my display cabinet to make this squad. I just ripped off the arms, heads and backpacks and replaced them with the plasma cannons and Heresy heads. Incidentally I have done this with quite a few marines now, to make a missile long fang team and a vulkite culverin squad, but these still need to have the additions painted yet. It saves me painting up whole new squads, and also a ton of cash as I dont need to purchase anything but expand my options for the army nicely. Anyway here are the pics :)

img_1016.jpgr

img_1017.jpg

img_1018.jpg

img_1019.jpg

img_1020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another quickie for you folks. Recently got these 10 tactical marines done for my HH wolves (sods law that FW would release their new units and my 30 plus tactical marines are now not as good or fluffy as the grey slayers). I can still find a use for them (grey hunters in 40k) so all is not lost :smile.:. I actually commissioned a friend to paint the majority of these for me, to match my original scheme, and then I did the finishing touches and basing. It has freed me up to focus on other things like my dreadnoughts and characters etc, which I enjoy far more.

img_1039.jpg

img_1041.jpg

img_1042.jpg

img_1043.jpg

img_1044.jpg

img_1045.jpg
Edited by Creamywynch

• 4 months later...

Ahhh it has been a long time since I last posted anything here. I had pretty much stalled with my Wolves as 7th edition really wasn't enjoyable for me to play, so my attention drifted to tother games like AOS and dropfleet. With the advent of the new 40k I thought I would polish off a few units I had half completed. I started off with painting 5 long fangs armed with misslie launchers (all the arms and backpacks are magnetised so I can swap the weapon choices in the future if I want,... probably for a few lascannons ;) ). I also did a sarg while I was at it so the squad can be run in both 30k & 40k (if 30k eventually ports over to 8th. Wont be playing it until that point unfortunately. Luckily all the units I own can be used in 40k too, so all is good :) ).

fullsi12.jpg

fullsi13.jpg

fullsi10.jpg

fullsi14.jpg

fullsi15.jpg

Also have 2 dreadys done, one a Deredeo and the other a leviathan. The Deredeo has a little bling added but I have not yet done anything on the Leviathan. That is to come but can't decide what to add yet

fullsi16.jpg

fullsi17.jpg

fullsi18.jpg

fullsi19.jpg

Finally I decided to convert my own Wulfen models. I bought the GW kit but once I assembled one I realised I cannot stand the cartoony design of them. Really horrible. I had a slaughterpriest free from a WD so I used a few elements of the wulfen kit to add to the body, and hey presto a pretty mean wulfen :)

fullsi20.jpg

Hopefully more soon :)

Edited by Creamywynch

• 3 months later...

Greetings brothers!

I had assembled this dreadnought last year, but I had a major priming disaster with it and it sat in some stripper for awhile before I got it re-assembled and primed. It then languished in a box as I had lost all motivation to move forward with him.

A few weeks ago I decided to sort through my unpainted collection as I wanted to get more Space Wolves completed for 8th edition. My Eye alighted on the dread, and he was quickly plonked on the painting table for me to get cracking on.

He took a little longer than I thought due to all the trinkets and fur I had added to give him that Space Wolves bling. I spent a little time adding in black elements to the armour as the metal was a little overpowering in places, and I think it adds more interest to him without being overpowering.

img_1810.jpg

img_1811.jpg

img_1812.jpg

img_1813.jpg

The arms are all magnetised, as well as the missile launcher on top so I can do weapon swaps when I need to. There are about 4 more options in my drawer of shame waiting to be assembled and painted, so hopefully finishing him should spur me on to get the rest of the weapons done.

img_1814.jpg

Impressive works. I pity the Contemptor and the Deredeo, though- with ranged weapons mounted on both their arms, they're unlikely to have the thrill of facing the enemy in close combat. (Maybe you can convert two power swords into bayonets, and mount them on the Contemptor's assault cannons.) Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Thanks very much :)

I have 5 contemptors in total now, and 3 of them are pure CC orientated, the other 50/50. I magnetised the arms so that it can be swapped out as needed, and I have a fist ready to be magnetised for that very purpose :)