Did a little bit of work. Gone to 11 now. Note packs and heads etc are still swap-able until I am happy as dry pinned.

gallery_27755_12410_39027.jpg

The unit isn't really balanced with the ideas and ratios I have in mind, so I'll take it to 20 models.

I couldn't decide what to give the sergeant but whilst fiddling the heavy chainsword looked suitably brutal so I have gone with that.

The next 9 will be MK IV BaC based with some MK IV despolier and jump pack chests, and the occasional bits of MK III (resin and BoP), MK II and maybe some MK V legs.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Yesterday I started fiddling converting an old plastic Khorne berserker helmet, and adding a strut over MKIIIs.

gallery_27755_12410_58907.jpg

Getting there, I'll add rivets over the top of the MKIIIs when happy, I might narrow it too. I especially like my Cylon Fett one.

Again I'll do a few more and vary with rivets etc.

I also replaced the MKIII reaching for sword with Umbra's head with the bald re-breather grill and bionic eye head from the Sternguard set, looks much better. Note to self, 1 in 5 without helms but bionic eyes/masks will look Okay even if Kroeger thinks only idiots don't wear helms.

Also ordered some Blood Angel heads as some look quite Iron Warrior and some with drops removed and studded bands added with green stuff could look like Stygian pattern helms.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Pearson73: Ta, yeah I have them, in fact one of the MKIII heads is an IH head. I am saving the optic ones for Havoc squads to explain the hideous pain only 10 missile launchers can bring. Deadly Aim and targetting Shattered Defences with Krak missiles will be fun BUT my opponent has already bought all the Apothecaries he can for FNP.

So the shot below shows how I can keep fiddling and changing until I am happy. Once I have 20 built I'll have to make a final pass to get a finished set version but for now I can keep playing about.

gallery_27755_12410_207646.jpg

There are sort of 12 now.

Edited by Marius Perdo

FW order arrived, I now have some Tyrant termies, an Iron Warriors contemptor, the MKIV melee weapons upgrade, 5 of the under-slung missile launchers for the Havocs, and the Blood Angel heads to Ironise.

I also got Titandeath and some Knights for AT, and I'll probably make them Coldshorud based on looking at the new White Dwarf yesterday.

However I haven't read the HH novels Tallarn and Titandeath so I have bought those and I'll start reading the first one tonight.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Pyramidal bonding spikes arrived from USA Blood & Skulls.

AT Cerastus Knights should arrive tomorrow along with the alternate Warlord weapons sprue. Couldn’t resist.

And the Kill Team Arena box and the two new kill team boxes.

Reading Tallarn has a few instances of Iron Warriors Cataphractii terminators with chains hanging from their shoulders....hmm, that’ll need converting. I have lots of tiny actual modelling chain but I also have loads of small plastic chains from marauder horsemen (if I recall). I think Lorenzen did some DG termies using actual chains - fiddly and uses more chain than you’d think are my takeaways from his experience.

The book is enjoyable anyway but nice to glean an idea.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Tyrannicide: Ta, still weaving though :smile.: Up to thirteen and fiddling with parts for the last seven. What you are seeing is what I intend so am I glad the theme is coming across :)

gallery_27755_12410_21497.jpg

For my vow it is the Warsmith, Forge Lord, and the squad of 20 tacticals anyway.

Given I will go with a Hammers of Olympia Rite of War I'll need 3 Troops and with Siege Engineers I'll want to take the extra Heavy Support.

So at the moment it looks like Warsmith/Forge Lord/Siege Breakers a 3 HQs, a least 1 tactical squad of 20 , a breacher squad of 20, and probably a support squad of 10, and then for Heavy Support 10 havocs, and after that not sure...but enough to be going on with.

I also ordered a AT Reaver titan and I probably need to read the maniple rules to see what 1 warlord, 2 reavers, 2 warhounds, 3 questors, and 2 cerastus can be maniple wise and for my vow.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Pearson73: Pistol yes, slung boltgun is resin Tigrus from back when they had grips and not hands. Running low on those, they are nice and compact so fit well. Mag-locking looks wrong to the eye, and as with my Primaris above making a sling from thin plasti-card for all slung guns should be easy.

The last seven.

gallery_27755_12410_80940.jpg

Blood Angel helms have worked well IMO.

I'll try and make some interesting but there is a danger of trying too hard.

An example is none have pure marks of armour and are all non-producton MKV in effect. I might end up blending this 20 with a future more pure mark 20 Legionairy tactical squad to "dilute" the flamboyance down a notch.

Then again, maybe not. Although I am now into magazine swapping territory which with Umbra or Ferrox pattern bolter magazines will be a challenge. Tigrus straight box 20 round non-sickle 30 are probably too small to make it worthwhile trying.

Not done as much this weekend as I'd like. But I have got two more sketched so only five to go.

gallery_27755_12410_116827.jpg

For the last five I will do some drawing plastic pistols from despolier resin holsters for their pistol type.

gallery_27755_12410_12855.jpg

Given I only started fiddling 31/12/2018 I haven't done too bad for only the occasional hour snatched here and there.

I obviously have a very clear idea and am quite progressed on the Warsmith, not far behind with the Forge Lord, and only five to go on the tactical squad.

I have ordered some tracks and contemptor legs from B&S to test, and if they are as good as they look there will be a lot more tracks to follow...including very large ones as I ordered some IW upgrade from GW today and a shadowsword to make the Tormentor.

As mentioned I'll eventually do a second squad that is more pure in marks (and probably 3/4 plastic parts so quicker to convert and build) and in that I might do a couple of nuncios and vexila (although the later aren't as much use to IWs) - that way I can average them out by mixing them.

I also have 3 of the original FW whirlwinds, so the squad of 3 deimos seems likely at some point, and a last executioner predator as I have 1 and an infernus (for a squadron).

I also found some IW OOP FW brass etch which I have ordered. Will help with the BaC Contemptor conversions I have in mind.

@Pearson73: They aren't a bad match when the blood drop fripperies come off :smile.:

So, my goal is by the end of this week to have all 20 sketched, and the same for the Warsmith and Forge Lord. Group shot of build so far for my vow:

gallery_27755_12410_126228.jpg

Still lots of POC, dry pinned for swapping, tac'ing etc.

However I defenitely got that vibe tonight of really liking them and enjoying myself. At least until I get to painting anyway...

Edit: Can anyone thing of a left hand plastic terminator hand holding a gun grip for the graviton gun on the Forge Lord? If not I can get a resin one off an old Carab Culln.

Also pondering what head to swap in for the Forge Lord and not leaving the Iron Hands one in there ;) Korvydae's might work but the shouting might be too exuberant for a techmarine.

Edited by Marius Perdo

First cut of the last three, which makes 20.

gallery_27755_12410_69720.jpg

I have taken the Anvilus style backpacks out as I will use them for breachers as they are for void warfare, and the chainswords have exhausts that wouldn't ignite in vacuum anyway.

I'll need to work through each legionary, sort out exact positioning and facing, glue everything when happy, add holsters, pouches and grenades, plasti-card slings, rivets battle damage, and get the bases cut down and varied etc.

So still lots to do, not had the time I'd like this week, but I am still further along than I'd thought I'd be.

gallery_27755_12410_99083.jpg

However I fancy a change so I am actually going to look at my titans for the other challenge as I haven't even open the Titan battlegroup box, the Reaver box with melta cannon/chainfist, nor the warlord plasma annihilators sprue.

Mostly to just get a feel for the kits and how magnetizeable they are...or aren't.

Forge Lord is coming along:

gallery_27755_12410_169900.jpg

The Warsmith keeps tipping over to his right due to the white metal servo arm.

gallery_27755_12410_159542.jpg

Lots to do on both still, but the main one is finding a cloak I can make tattered on the Warsmith. Cloaks are a mark of rank (at least in three stories) and Dantioch has a raggedy one with lambda style chevron patterning.

The Deathwing one is just a place holder, with mechandrites/plugs at the back I may just use a spare nighthaunt half as the starter for a cloak.

A chain cloak to me is just a bit too chaotic and for 40K Iron Warriors, even though some have mail cloaks in HH stories.

Edit: Whilst not for the vow I am thinking of doing a Primus Medicae to explain who helped the Forge Lord rebuild the Warsmith's lungs but also to justify three apothecaries to try and keep my hordes of infantry alive.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Bjorn Firewalker: Ta. Still a lot to do but I am happy with the direction they are going.

So a bargain arrived from Oz.

gallery_27755_12410_106921.jpg

So now I can do something with the Forge Lord's chest and de-Iron Hand it.

And the inbuilt chevron stencil will be handy.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Pearson73: Ta. Fortunately I have a lot of Nighthaunt stuff.

The metal servo-arm causing toppling was doing my head in so I have quickly tried out a Dunecrawler one.

gallery_27755_12410_57743.jpg

Happier. I'll add a half ball joint to allow for re-angling.

I also picked up a Legion Primus Medicae in Cataphractii from e-bay (for marginally more than it would originally have cost) - I don't exactly like the model but possibly using Mastercrafted hazard stripe shoulders for a start will help. I'll have a fiddle, but having a sort of Triumvirate of HQs in Cataphractii armour amuses me for some reason (I might end up doing silly name versions of Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus or Caesar, Lepidus, and Octavian - using parts of their other names and Ks rather than Cs and possibly Greek...sorry, Helikan equivalents).

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Sherrypie: Ta. The cortus style contemptors will be fun, as mashed up in style as the infantry. I have enough BAC and resin kits (including a FW Iron Warrior one) to do at least 6, but a talon of 3 will do for a start BUT I really need to finish off my vow stuff first - I just really fancied a change and titans weren't scratching that itch.

Some more contemptor bits, inspired by Hrend from reading Tallarn.

gallery_27755_12410_125189.jpg

I'll do another claw with melta-gun to pair up, and drill-hand with heavy flamer so I can have melee paired ones with havocs.

Experimenting with BAC lower legs/shins with dreadnought thighs with pinned knee joints for positioning.

And a little bit later just some tac'ing to see what they look like.

gallery_27755_12410_4958.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

I've somehow managed to miss this thread for a while. There's been some great stuff I've missed. The dread is looking fantastic, I really think I'll have to steal that grinder-finger idea when I do my next Ironclad. The real winner for me tho is the Forge Lord. He just keeps getting better and better. Also, you've sold me on the HH IH axe. Now I'll hae to source one. Thanks...