My theoretical Crimson Fist Liberator Strike Force side project now has blue post-its in To Do above the Emperor's Blades orange ones - it has become a "thing" now.

So many bolt rifles to use up.

I have ordered lots of Vallejo style bottles and glass agitators to mix all my old necron abyss and regal blue with some kantor blues I have to get the base shade ready.

This has happened as the Captain is coming along and I have loads of ideas for Intercessors (which I'll need to if I do the 6 squads of 5) - I have become invested.

gallery_27755_5863_13068.jpg

Swords are swap-able at this stage as just dry-pinned in, same with wrist for angling. I'll probably cover with some very thin braided brass wire (for hanging pictures) and attach something relic-cey to dangle down (sort of like the primaris lieutenant with power sword blister and the Dark Angel primaris upgrade sprue pointing hand).

However that old shorter 3rd edition plastic assault marine sword is working for me as the cabochon cut-style gem on the cross-guard/quillions reminds me of the one on Kantor's forehead. In the same way that the head I have used (from the Conquest Ultramarines lieutenant) has laurel wreaths similar to Kantor and the old IF upgrade blister - I like how this ties back to the past.

However for this guy it will all be about the gun (another reason to make the sword understated), which will be Duty's Burden - again I'll add purity seals to it when happy with the angle and also the fist relic on thong from the fists primaris upgrade sprue (I have three knocking about from the Supremacy Force). No idea on name yet but as all battle line squads I'll go with the 6th Company.

The pointing with the sword is to suggest directing fire, as I intend his warlord trait to be Storm of Fire.

General theme will be absolutely battered - I'll cut and drill battle damage into them like Kizzdoug's does but damage patterned like Sergeant Jovan (whom I have for reference and who will obviously be one of my sergeants as he stood on a dismembered ork).

I'll spray gray as an undercoat and then use masking fluid over the damage and anywhere I want scrapes, then spray blue and work from there (taking the latex of finally using gentle rubbing with tac).

I'll use a lot of MKVI studded shoulders pads (well, a lot for primaris anyway) to try and tie back to the first RTB01 box I got about 31 years ago.

Right - off to finish doing the 30th anniversary sergeant as a Crimson Fist and work on my first left handed Intercessor and another one to do as a test model (test for painting that is).

Edited by Marius Perdo

Obviously a test, not glued, white tac has a lot of volume so distorts (although amending will be inevitable), plus slipped before photo etc.

But to answer the question, do I want left handed Intercessors in my squads?

gallery_27755_5863_152595.jpg

Yes. Yes...I believe I do. Lots.

At least one per 5. Lucky I have at least 6 of those firing up at the sky right hand only arms :smile.:

This is weirdly going full circle back to the start of this thread AND back 31 years to when I first played and built my RTB01.

Edited by Marius Perdo

I decided I wanted to really convert my Crimson Fists, with 6 squads of 5 Intercessors even kit bashing would look repetitive quickly. Sergeant Jovan model inspired this.

Once I accepted it would take time and saws, and slow and steady would be best (which suits my hobby time anyway) I started to ponder.

gallery_27755_5863_50666.jpg

I found MP Intercessor 1e's legs were a good starting point (43+44 & 45+46). The body less so, I reckon MP Hellblaster 1b's body (28+29) will work better.

I'll do another and take photos as I go but basically razor saw segments apart and then drill a hole through to pliable iron garden wire and kind of sting them on to almost like beadswhen you have the stance you want.

Make plastic legs but don't glue on shin plates, and glue bodies together but not to legs, then just play with them in your hands, and minds eye, and see what you come up with.

The under-suit will be very easy to green-stuff in around the pins and covered over with holsters, purity seals, relics etc.

Also for DI/KNF/ETB saw off any shoulders and glue to guns, or guns to separate shoulders - you can then dry fit them to MP Intercessors and Hellblasters for differing poses and stances and facing aspects.

Lastly think of the base first and all the why through - I use my cast Heroes one bases and again I fiddle with positioning from the start.

Like my Imperial Fists from back in post #37 I intend for each to be a mini-story about either a phase of a stratagem.

When I get the first few squads bulilt this rambling will hopefully make more sense.

So I tried to do a running Primaris, slowly getting there. Much green stuff filling to do etc.

gallery_27755_5863_23529.jpg

Took back AGL primaris from Emperor's Blades - this resulted in having to de-stalker one. I figure the EBs will have enough other big guns, also moved back their cards to include "build AGL replacement" - back in To Do.

Thus decided against trying to do a Jovan inspired stance with AGL (for now) as I have two built, reckon that stance looks better carefully aiming anyway.

Guy with no arms is the left-hander from above.

I'll sling a bolt rifle on Jovan's rear left side (I build the straps out of very thin plasti-card as it wants to curl/curve) as he can have bolt pistol, bolt rifle and then additionally have 1 thing from Intercessors sergeant list (in this case chainsword). Haven't decided what helmetless head he'll have (for some reason think an older plastic one) but his normal one looks very black templar middle ages haircut bowl style to me (so I'll save that for a BT). Shoulders will be upgrade IF symbol for chapter symbol (I intended this for all sergeants and characters) and the braided fripperies one from the Intercessor box.

One of the AGLs I brought back in I put a MKV/VI shoulder on. This is for three reasons:

• I will heavily battle damage these to look battered and like Jovan, jury rigged repairs seem inevitable
  • It ties back to the original RTB01 and being Second Founding
  • If I am building half like this (15) I can then not worry about squad markings and numbers for them, that way if I want to merge into one squad I just have to build 3 replacements for the sergeants to have 3 squads of 10

Whilst fiddling with re-positioning is interesting it is very time consuming - thus me only doing PL 50 of these - it will drive me slowly mad.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@War Angel; Ta. The fire nearly broke me but was worth it in the end :smile.: As for legs body...neither captain has had them modified or swapped beyond cutting off the ruins from the left foot and having him stand on the power cells on the scenic base - I obviously changed his aspect entirely (facing/pointing to his right rather than left) which can trick the eye - but it is just a cheap trick I do frequently.

@Kolgrim DeathHowl; Ta, the mix bottles and agitators turned up today so that painting will be a possibility now - I think I'll do 11 models at a time (two squads of 5, one with studs as mentioned above and a spare swap in for a sergeant when I go 10 man) and then a character model in between.

The loose plan as follows, fairly sure the Imperial Fists Codex Supplement will change it.

Detachments

Battle-forged - 3CP
Battalion - 5CP - 2(3) HQ, 3(6) Troops

Battalion Detachment 1 – Battle-forged 3CPs+5CPs (-1 CFLSF) = 7 CPs sub-net; PL27

HQ: Primaris Captain with Duty’s Burden, power sword, bolt pistol, frag grenades, krak grenades (PL5) - WT Storm of Fire
HQ: Primaris Lieutenant with bolt pistol, master-crafted auto bolt rifle, frag grenades, krak grenades (PL4)
Troops: Intercessors x5 (PL5)
Elites: Primaris Apothecary (PL3)

Battalion Detachment 2 – 5CPs (-1 CFLSF/-1 FC) = 3 CPs sub-net; PL23

HQ: Primaris Lieutenant with bolt pistol, master-crafted stalker bolt rifle, frag grenades, krak grenades (PL4) - Stratagem: Field Commander unlocks Liberator Strike Force Warlord Trait: Expert Instructor - re-roll hit rolls of 1 for Friendly LSF Units within 9" of this warlord
HQ: Primaris Lieutenant with bolt pistol, power sword, frag grenades, krak grenades (PL4)

Net is 10 CPs left and PL50.

Note to self - find ork players.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Well I thought about painting, looked at many generations of GW paints, decided to blend them and re-bottle them.

Just for Crimson Fists and Emperor's Blades.

gallery_27755_5863_37839.jpg

Barely half done just for those two projects and this is driving me mad :smile.:

By the way some of the decodes on colours are basically bollocks, Rotting Flesh is NOT the same as Nurgling Green for example (I got a bit sidetracked into thinking about my Death Guard).

Word from the wise, trust your own eyes.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@War Angel@ Sure, whatever helps mate :smile.: Not sure which of the captains I have done you want to help with ideas for a chapter master - actually, which one are we talking about? The Gravis or the "normal" Primaris? (I might be able to recall exactly what bits I used if you want to know).

@Marshal Rohr: Ta, early days yet but the approach here is to stretch my ideas as much as possible for stances, thus running, left-handed, there will be grenade throwing, stalking, reloading etc. With 30 it will be a stretch, but I am almost thinking of each 5 man squad like a mini-kill team. Just waiting for my Raven Guard upgrade sprue (I really like the grenade arm in that) - I have the Iron hands one in the same order (and the Phobos Lieutenant and MP Eliminators - really want the MP Infiltrators/Incursors kit to come out).

Tonight I am reading through The War for Rynn's World to get all the names into a spreadsheet where I will randomly recombine them to make names for the 35 blokes in the PL50.

Oh, and mix metallics whilst listening to Belsarius Cawl: The Great Work.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Loving the running Intercessors. I might steal this idea when I make another Assault Bolt Rifle squad. :tu:

on page 21 I saw a bird on the table beside your white scar. what kit is that bird from?

Looks like the one from the White Scar biker's bike from Kill-Team Cassius

@Cadius: Gederas is correct, it is from the Deathwatch Overkill White Scars Biker.

@Chazzmos: I intended to do another, when I do I'll list the exact parts and numbers from the multi-part kit and take photos of each stage - should do it this weekend. But as a start use the parts from intercessor 1b (18/17, 19/20, 21/22).

@Gederas: Ta mate, as mentioned above I'll do a how to this weekend as I do another one.

Edit: weekend went sideways, but I am off this Friday AND my missus and daughter are away for the weekend visiting cousins etc. so I will get some hobby on.

Edited by Marius Perdo

When looking for MKVI plastic shoulders I stupidly opened my heresy boxes.

I discovered silly amounts of MKVI stuff, an un-built Storm Eagle, and a Deathstorm Drop Pod (and four built black drop pods). I then looked at a Horus Heresy raven Guard Decapitation Strike RoW and went...hmmm.

I had quite a bit of Raven Guard stuff to do Knights of the Raven, including brass etch, Legion transfers, the RG transfer from IA8 etc.

I also found I had bought Carcharadon transfers and Tyberos and have a silly amount of Umbra bolt guns and combat chain blades.

It is like it was all hiding in plain sight ;)

However the weekend will be for Crimson Fists.

@Tyrannicide: Well, I should really finish off the builds on various models (Iron Warriors for example) - but there is box somewhere in my office with lots of Raven Guard Legion stuff in it, it just keeps hiding :wink:

Okay two parts to the ramble:

This week:

• Ordered lots of devastator heads as the MKVI will be good for Raven Guard Legion snipers but all the other heads for Badab era Sons of Medusa
  • Received order of FW Recon, Mor Deythan, RG MKIV & MKVI shoulders, RG MKVI heads - briefly found box to add them to - box is hiding again
  • Also a Tyberos as I'd used mine way too much for World Eater stuff years ago - again found Carcharodons transfer sheet and MKV stuff whilst looking for other things which caused this to happen
  • Also FW Black Templar storm shields - I got some of the termie shoulder pads when they were last chance to buy - every time I watch Kingdom of Heaven or Knightsfall I want to do some BTs...if certain rumours are true that might not be far off
  • Received bits order for lots (30) devastator legs - generally useful but especially for Sons of Medusa
  • Dug out all bionic bits and pondered my Vaylund Cal from #301 - I should finish him, aggressor shoulder pads from the IH upgrade sprue, as well as relic bits - nuff said - wait long enough and great kits will come out to enhance older projects - that is my excuse for never finishing anything and I am sticking to it :wink:
  • Received Blood of the Phoenix - too good value not to and with Harlequins from Death Masque and some wave serpents, falcon, vypers and guardians from years ago Ynnari...hmmm, me? Xenos? Whut?
  • Took unneeded scout biker bits from FW outriders - heads so much better than stock ones, may be useful for RG legion or Knights of the Raven - put in RG box which promptly disappeared
  • Built Excel sheet with all CF names I could find - I will alter these so all the CFs will be named (fore and sur) - although writing a small bio for 35 models will probably get taxing

Today:

• Read IF codex supplement for CF project when I should have been sleeping - just makes me want to do them more (so why am I typing this?) - as I am doing the 6th the captain above at #626 is now Alejandros Solari, Master of the Watch, Captain of the 6th Company - the Iron Guardians - saves me having to think something up :wink:
  • Awaiting Infiltrators/Incursors kit delivery today so I can start to dance around the house holding the new sprues to my chest and staring adoringly at them whilst singing Getting to Know You from the King and I - oddness aside I reckon I can use a lot of bits to make spare reivers into infiltrators, build the box as incursors, some spare bits will be usable for RG legion secret squirrel tech (which will then disappear) - can't wait but I will have to until my friend the postman arrives at 11:00
  • Also getting some Sanguinary Guard - I want the MKIV style jump packs (with 25% off online stores it is a effective way to get these packs), and there will be lots of bits for a future Blood Angels projects (which will only happen in an alternate dimension) but also the MKIV arm-style inferno pistol would be nice for those, but also look pretty good on an Alpha Legion Headhunter Prime (I'd got it into my head there was an RG unit could do this - wrong)
  • Inspect Salamanders upgrade sprue because I must have ALL the bits - I am unlikely to do a song and dance routine over this one though
  • Read Salamanders codex
  • Rummage in garage with clippers for all the vehicle accessory sprues to take the shoulder pads and chest (and some heads) for Sons of Medusa project bag
  • Find old gun sights to add to spare sights from scout biker bolt guns to make Tigris pattern sniper bolts for RG (already have lots of different gauge brass tubing) - as these are intended for RG I will never find them
  • Check IW project box for some Cawl bits from the Warsmith/Forge Lord conversions to enhance Vaylund Cal - and bring the box in so I can finish building the IW and rummage for any bits that went into their project ideas bag that need to get put in the black hole that is the ever filling RG box
  • Make ragu with cheeky bottle of Rioja, and pizza dough, and sauces - my family are away so I need to do some domestic and practical things in between geeking out or I will feel guilty
  • Do some work stuff today and tomorrow - there is unfortunately a lot of this
  • Become joyous at clocks going back and getting and extra hour in bed - or build a marine instead
  • Convince myself I need Dark Uprising(s) for my birthday or my life will be incomplete - or wait until the battle board is out and then plan a very specific and controlled budget and then promptly ignore it

I really should have some breakfast, I have been up since 05:00.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Well I did get a lot done from my list, and a load more sorting and rummaging (hours went by), but I had a stinking cold so I didn't do any Fists.

But look back to posts #76, #81 & #88 and you night recognise these:

gallery_27755_8709_348131.jpg

Yes, that is a spiders web in a dreadnought.

No, I shouldn't have nice things.

This was all caused by the Raven Guard decapitation strike pondering - as in Legion drop pods (not the dreadnought one - that just happened to be languishing in the same place). I have 3 more pods like that and the only solution I can find to them and restoring them (as they are sealed and a shambles), is to take the bottoms off and attach a legion anvilus pattern dreadclaw kit to it and then use the mint new plastic drop pod with said dreadclaw kit to make Raven Guard Legion drop pods.

Not sure what I'll do with 4 dreadclaws immediately though - not part of decapitation strike, might work for Iron Warriors Battle of Phall. I have ordered one kit as a test plus some other things I did not expect too as I assumed OOP.

The small bag to the left is Anvil Industry thermal optics I think, inspired to by Cadmus Tyro. Raven Guard sneaky, I'd put them in the box but...

Also building a battle roll in excel to see what battles happened, and when, from the IA Badab War books, and the protagonists, and what my plethora of older non-Primaris kits could be used for.

A lot of things came out after Badab books first landed (centurions, storm talons/hawks, hunters etc.) and 8th plays differently - shooting and splitting fire for example.

I have loads of things I started and never finished that could be used for various things.

For example, 3 unarmed centurions that need to become devastators with a mix of all weapons and hang out with Vaylund Cal in a Land Raider Crusader.

All the 3rd edition plastic tactical marines to be droves of baddies - such as Astral Claws.

The idea would be to do about PL50 for the ones I like, some of which I could add to with Primaris for as armies in 40k. Some I won't be doing as I don't like them for a variety of reasons and/or they didn't do much (Marines Errant, Fire Hawks, Novamarines, Exorcists).

Sons of Medusa as my Iron Hands, Raptors as my Raven Guard (transfers will be annoying, can't print white), Mantis Warriors as my White Scars, Salamanders as themselves etc. Minotaurs I have so much stuff for, same for Carcharodons with transfer sheet from FW with cool armour tattoos.

I have the Huron model, Carab Culln, Tyberos, Sevrin Loth - would be rude not to ponder doing this as a slow burn project.

As for the Legion dreadnought drop pod I think the weak door hinges can be resolved with magnets.

My walls are covered with post-its now.

Edit: Oh yeah, and scouts, I have a lot and bikers, need to think about them for Badab too.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Son of Sacrifice: ta, I know it looks like I am flitting about a lot but I am just lining up winter projects - I am really enjoying my Emperor's Blades and Crimson Fist primaris projects.

In other news...

So, can the crap pods be salvaged?

gallery_27755_8709_255133.jpg

Probably.

gallery_27755_8709_329370.jpg

Stupidly out of shot is the engine from the crap pod - I'll use that on a new pod (it is fine) and use the mint bit from the new sprues for the anvilus.

Also some Salamanders stuff for Badab, Land Raider doors for Lamptan and some rhino doors (and I intend for each army to have a rhino* as I have a couple of dozen), and the dreaded Bray'arth Ashmantle (and some shoulder pads for veterans).

Except I forgot to order his Right arm, so I just did that, and got a transfer sheet as well.

*and a tactical squad.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Regards the old and new engines - scrap that, cut out the old bit for the Anvilus Dreadclaw due to magnets.

Pods tend to flop open everywhere thus my mate gluing them shut, thus me inheriting/swapping crap pods at some point, thus re-using as above.

So why the scrap that? Magnets - to stop flopping about.

gallery_27755_11019_27795.jpg

This does work but lesson learned is that magnet on the inside part (and not the outer hull like I did) would be closer and stronger attractive force.

gallery_27755_11019_233163.jpg

The bit that fits to the venturi engine nozzle, hole drilled in with cordless power drill with diameter to match magnet...very, very carefully. Next time I'll drill a bit deeper for more attractive forces.

Repeat five times. And other stuff.

gallery_27755_11019_158090.jpg

Oh, a drop pod. Or is it?

gallery_27755_11019_1646.jpg

Sort of. It is my first Raven Guard Legion surprise.

gallery_27755_11019_435333.jpg

The top is not glued to the bottom for ease of painting. Except I wasn't paying attention watching Jack Ryan Season 2 and glued all five - pulled one out which I'll tidy up later. As can be seen on the bit I pulled out the power adapters are glued to the struts and not the floor, as aligning with hairdryer was bad enough there, on floor to strut it would have been hellish, as would lining up the tabs, so I cut them off and filled the slots with green stuff.

As an aside, and as can be seen, the machine spirit/HAL bit does rotate - utterly pointless but there you go.

gallery_27755_11019_55973.jpg

Note the launcher is not glued in either and has an offset plastic rod and wire pin so I can align it when fitting.

gallery_27755_11019_438186.jpg

Last stupid mistake was the tabs on the top of the launchers - I cut 4 off. These can be green stuffed back in though.

Learnt a lot about how I'll build the infantry Legion drop pods using magnets and part assembly for painting though.

And how hellish the Legion Dreadnought drop pod will be to salvage and build (and I found a second un-built one).

And so my fist and only Heavy Support for my Raven Guard Legion Decapitation Strike ROW is nearly built.

Edit 2/correction: in this ROW they are Elites so that means a single heavy support choice is still available (one being the limit) - As I own two Leviathans and two Legion dreadnought drop pods is it would be rude not to with one, although entirely predictable.

I won't put brass etch on this as transfers are good for showing up weathering.

This was not too complicated a kit but I felt I needed a warm for the Anvilus Dreadclaw.

I have also dug out my Storm Eagle, for which I somehow found Raven Guard rhino doors from Kastorel Novem era, and I can tell it will be a bugger to straighten and build.

I have washed all the resin thoroughly for this pod, but at the same time did the Anvilus Dreadclaw parts, the un-built Legion dreadnought drop pod, and the Storm Eagle.

I just fancied building complicated and fiddly multi-material Forgeworld kits that need lots of pinning, superglue, epoxy resin, magnets and planning. No idea why, probably to prove a point to myself.

Edit: fixed atrocious typos and missing words that mangled context and point. The Raven Guard probably hid them.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Another pod done, just normal.

gallery_27755_11019_239079.jpg

Magnetised again (much easier this time - glued to inner door half makes it marginally better), glue is just setting as everything lines up nicely with the magnets. One strut left unglued for ease of painting/access - I will glue the harnesses into the base, some filing/mold line removal to double check after the glue dries before fitting onto the floor plate (obviously engine/4 struts not glued to floor plates and won't be until after painting).

Almost drilled through when fitting magnets - have learnt to be more careful.

Did the green stuff repair on the missile pod - still needs filing once cured.

Next will be the un-built Legion dreadnought drop pod (I can't face srtipping and repairing the bust one at the minute). Then another Legion drop pod. Then the anvilus dreadcllaw salvage. Then another Legion drop pod.

By then I will feel ready to tackle the Storm Eagle (weapon load-out as Darkwing).

Obssesing with mold lines as they ruin models anyway, but especially weathering powders.

Edited by Marius Perdo

The old dreadnought drop pod to be a Legion dreadnought drop pod sub-assembly.

gallery_27755_11019_373431.jpg

The magnets in the doors and the engine were done with the not Dremmel, I stacked one magnet on top of the other in the engines to generate more attractive force, as it was possible to drill quite deep into the engine. I used superglue to fix and let dry otherwise when applying the green stuff and smoothing it the magnets would have been attracted to the sculpting tool.

I did something similar with the doors on the inside with only one corresponding magnet - the crap un-stripped pod was quite good for lining things up. When doing this I took care to make sure all magnet attractive flow matched and was in the same direction.

The hinge points on the old kit are very, very fragile and totally inadequate for what they are for, they break in the bag let alone after use. I guess they new kit is better.

I built a rod for each door by filling plastic tube with garden wire, and then inserting that into a large gauge plastic tube. I then rebuilt the hinges around these using greenstuff.

I then clipped off the tiny resin rods on the doors and bored through the bottom of the doors to provide a fit for the rods, as can be seen with the example rod it goes all the way through.

When the green stuff is cured I'll take the rods out of the floor plate, fit the doors etc.

A part of all these pods process has been patience - some things just have to be left to dry and /or cure before cutting, filing or sanding.

On the doors, even with careful cutting and filing I have used liquid green stuff to smooth off the tops and make them level.

I also cut of the eagles carefully with a scalpel, then used a file and mold line tool to smooth, and finally finished off with grade 0/grit 220 sand paper.

I'll now go back and finish of the other two pods (sanding green stuff and removing mold lines), starting trimming the anvilus dreadclaw resin bits, using a hair dryer to heat and straighten the Legion dreadnought drop pod struts, and start examining the storm eagle instructions for construction planning.

Edited by Marius Perdo