The plague marine is looking sweet! It’s really reminding me of this nice piece of artwork FW has of a plague marine.

I also need to catch up on the DG range. I have just never seen that gunner before and I did just see some ‘hero’ release of seven unique DG marines.

And speaking of the range of Nurgle’s own I am happy to see you’ve bulked up on it! Cannot wait to see you put it to work!

@hushrong: Ta, that is inspiration for this one. Speaking of heroes 3...

Okay, getting to the point where I may nee to actually glue together. Just need a wee bit paler highlighting (Bubonic Brown/Bleached Bone works a treat), then lighten the tentacles up to more pale tones, again using the Vraks artwork.

Need to to the verdigris too.

Then very careful land limited oil wash streaks/grime.

Then rust powders and some sort of mud (maybe).

gallery_27755_12410_166808.jpg

However at the point of diminishing returns, lots of faffing and time.

So for in between the next two - when coat dries wash again then paint, I'll do one based on rotting flesh and the other some sort of drab olive green.

gallery_27755_12410_91403.jpg

And the Wurmspat bases:

gallery_27755_12410_137099.jpg

Good for the occasional 40mm character and Blightlord, good for Nurglings, and obviously great for Rotbringers (but of no relevance here).

Edited by Marius Perdo

I noted that under other light he was darker than I thought and shinier (Agrax Earthshade) so gently washed with toothbrush.

I'll do some limited highlighting with a mix of Bleached Bone/Bubonic Brown, I still intend limited and careful oil washing.

Collected all my greens from Rotting Flesh to Incubi Darkness and I'll ponder what shade to paint next, and then the one after that, ad nauseum.

Washed the two guys above to check undercoat adherence, coverage and propellant removal.

I was tidying up and had some Conquest bikers to store away and then I went a bit further and tidied up all my bikers, speeders, Ravenwing bits etc and discovered I had a silly amount - as in enough to do a Dark Angels and White Scars army and the total current retail value was £666...and 25 pence.

Mad but not as mad as the terminators box.

Whilst 9th looks interesting, and I'll get a couple of boxes (and I hunted down some more Silver Templar transfer sheets because I'll need them), I am still going with DG. I just have to hope that War of the Spider fixes the sloppy and incongruous CSM parts and makes all true DG (-1M, +1T, DisRes) and has sensible Datasheets.

And the new Plague Company rules, daemon weapons (maybe?), Warlord Traits, Stratagems, Artefacts of the Death Guard - if Faith and Fury is anything to go by.

I have been familiarising myself with various Nurgle kits, regardless of source, to get a feel for spare bits.

I reached the conclusion it will be easier just to build them and use what is left over for a Nurgle bits box. But that will take quite a while.

With colours I am set on using a broad range, no single "uniform" and no specific recipes even when repeated. Some Nurgle type colours, that might work well for a daemon, won't for ceramite. Such as entrails purple.

gallery_27755_12410_121522.jpg

The pale mint green one is very watered down Hellion Green (as like milk consistency). Twice.

The other is Gretchin Green thinned down the same but as an old foundation it is very pigment rich, thus only one coat (and coat is too strong a word for what I am doing). It is apparently the same colour as Death World Forest - I can assure you it is not. But that variation in shades that colour charts say are the same will help create the non-uniform variety.

I'll probably go with 7 base types, and re-use them throughout, and for daemons, and for AoS.

I have rummaged through all my paints, old and new, and got a small crate of "browns" (which includes creams, and some yellows) and one of "greens" (from the near black through to mint).

Anyway, off to build lots of Nurgly things, and paint whilst things dry.

@Hushrong: Ta, mint to verdigris.

gallery_27755_12410_96966.jpg

To have all the bits I may want for a variety of Death Guard things I think I need to build many, many daemons and AoS Rotbringers.

So working on 3 Maggoth Lords, 25 Putrid Blightkings, 3 boxes of Wurmspat (Bogwitch bits should be good for DG sorcerors), a Lord of Afflictions and 3 Pusgoyle Blightlords, a Slaughterbrute, a Mutalith, a GOU as Rotigus, and 9 Plaguedrones to create...well, a lot of Nurgle/chaos models. But also loads of Nurgle bits for DG.

Still waiting for my 2 Beasts of Nurgle for themselves but also spare bits.

Still looking good. The mint turned verdigris looks good. I am really excited to see the final results of that paint job. The thinned down gretchin green is looking good to with the shade on there.

That is also A LOT of rot you are building up! But another army AND bits for DG is a win-win in my book!

@Hushrong: Ta. Weirdly there is no shade paints/inks on the Gretchin Green one, it was actually washed Death World Forest, which worked fine as they are so different. I then actually mixed the stuff in that  had used for the verdigris wash, which was variable mixes of Sybarite Green, Kabalite Green, Orkhide Shade, Caliban Green. 

As for the washes they are just acrylic paints watered down to the consistency of milk, like when I was a kid, applied in two thin coats. Lovely. Milky, milky.

As for the models it will take a while, technically quite a lot of armies when AoS and Kill Team are considered.

The Beasts and the Feculent Gnarlmaw arrived today. Lots of extra bits from the beasts - finished work so i will build one now.

With spare bits from the Maggoth Lords, GUO, plaguedrones, and Beasts on a gellerpox infected nightmare hulks/chaos spawn "chassis" some very interesting Nurgle chaos spawn and daemon princes become possible.

As well as a very Nurgly organic plague tank Land Raider.

Edit: Been reading what I can on Warhammer Community, watching Twitch for Warhammer TV etc.

Basically with so many Kill Team sets and corresponding tiles, a dining room table that will easily hold 44" x 30", and a quick technique for rusted terrain (I have lots), I have loosely agreed with a mate to do a Patrol Detachment for Combat Patrol, and a Battalion Detachment for Incursion - basically a sub-set to full set of Dark Imperium Death Guard for me.

He'll be doing Primaris, possibly Imperial Fists - the narrative will be the 4th Outbreak - Arcanum.

However, it will be based on some of the models/numbers - I'll be converting, trying out different weapons, and I can swap things in and out, flex unit sizes as I have some PL designated for Reinforcements to summon daemons which could be used to enlarge units instead, but also building some daemons to summon if I want (I quite like this for 9th, they don't take up a detachment).

The loose goal is by the time 9th drops to have 50 PL done and terrain for 44" x 30", to only play 9th with painted models and board, and then grow from there.

Would be nice to do it just once, I have only been playing since before Rogue Trader came out...no rush ;)

Now, I feel a Kanban coming on for a Patrol Detachment Combat Patrol MVP - where are my post-its...

Edited by Marius Perdo

Wall of green post-it notes done and 25 PL and 50 PL targets farted about with in Excel.

First will be a converted Lord of Contagion - so starting on the manreaper.

gallery_27755_12410_269.jpg

I'll either attach the one I am working on from the Deathshroud kit or Typhus' (I have two of him) - I'll add the fine brass pin so i can see what I prefer with a "pommel" from a Putrid Blightking tocsin haft (I'll obviously swap the bell and chain around).

I intend to convert a Typhus into a Lord of Contagion with a plaguereaper.

I will also carve out and replace his right vambrace with the one shown with the three skulls.

Also started work on converting a Noxious Blightbringer aiming a plasma pistol - he will have the tocsin bell to be the Dolorous Knell, curved branch reversed.

Edit: Based on the reveal The Daemon's Toll becomes possible, and as 4th the Lord of Contagion is probably going to take the Warlord Trait: Eater Plague. Need to see what all these extra stratagems are.

Edited by Marius Perdo

So I did do one, and even though green post-its they aren't very sticky which is ridiculous for anything Nurgle related - I must have offended the God.

gallery_27755_12410_95871.jpg

Also the infantry I am pottering with.

gallery_27755_12410_156094.jpg

Adding slung bolt gun from MP kit to the Heroes Icon bearer (his knee needs a wee bit of greenstuff), taking his holstered pistol and adding it to the sorcerer 9who'll be a malignant plaguecaster), and adding blight grenades and krak grenades to most who are missing them - I am generally going to WYSIWYG for all models even though lots of DG models aren't.

The Heroes 3 guy throwing the grenade is missing a plague knife which i shall add to his pack, it is the grey sprayed one floating above the cork.

Quite surprised how big beasts are, must be the most expensive PL2 model in the game. I got two, easy to summon though.

Still farting about with the manreaper too but needed to build an adaptation for the tiny drill bit for the brass wire (thread?) - I can barely see either.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@hushrong: Ta, and so far I am sticking to them...on the 7th day I should celebrate :smile.:

Working through on the plague marine squad, the sole backlog issue in Doing (WIP):

gallery_27755_12410_108317.jpg

So the Heroes 3 grenadier - I didn't want to ruin his silhouette so I added the plague knife in a way so it doesn't. I feel better now he has WYSIWYG - hiding krak grenades fine, a big rotting and rusting knife the size of a sword less so. Also no stock nurgling on base as will be too busy.

The blight launcher guy is from way back, subtle amendments to helm, added the knife at an angle that matches the blight launcher, and put some krak grenades in to hide construction damage, and then a left over blight grenade.

Finally the Heroes 3 icon bearer - cut out the holstered bolt pistol, repaired the damage with green stuff, added the slung bolter from MP kit, a spare ETB blight grenade and some krak grenades. I will use the lamprey elsewhere as a familiar or amongst nurglings - it made the base too busy.

I need to add some o-rings to some blight grenades handles - I'll get these from the hafts of old chaos warrior weapons and chaos marauder horsemen. For some I'll use deaths heads from plague drone kits, and if any model has a dangling severed skull that will count as a blight grenade.

For those with half-cloaks and chain (thinking the plasma gunner) I envisage they are under there as there is little space left to add them without the model looking daft.

This evening I will finish base build on the others - the other Season 3 models in the first seven need gluing together for a start - and I'll saw/cut off the original conversions from their bases and select a suitable cast base for their stances and aspect.

Bit cloudy and dark here so I don't want to mess about with the manreaper when I can barely see it at best (the brass wire that is).

Edited by Marius Perdo

Best to celebrate the numerations! The updates to the plague marines are great. The grenadier looks nice as does the icon bearer but I really like the kitbashes and conversion work of the blight launcher marines. He comes together great and you can definitely see the amount of work into him with the differing color plastics.

And looking forward to seeing you work on that manreaper.

@hushrong: Ta, I have been pottering with the 7 and they are coming along, and I have started building beast two.

However, with watching the 9th unboxing and the fact it is out in July I also need to do some scenery. I have loads and some is even built and some old salvaged stuff, and some will be a project - the crashed aquilla lander from BoM with added cockpit, observation deck and the venturi nozzles and wrecked compartment.

Family is out today so I having retrieved the following from the garage when they bugger off I can unseal and get a feel for them on the dining room table (Combat Patrol/Incursion) 44" x 30" and what terrain density looks sensible.

gallery_27755_12410_107003.jpg

Then I'll check the following for mould lines, damage etc after bathing it (covered in dust) and then tart it up with the friable rust mix to hide damage, maybe dremel some dings in, fill holes with greenstuff etc.

gallery_27755_12410_191352.jpg

These need mould line removal and gluing:

gallery_27755_12410_832.jpg

And this needs building, or taking off sprue:

gallery_27755_12410_182059.jpg

Anyway with everyone out it is a good day to do this.

I have gotten old brown paints out to do rust coat, and pale yellow, grey/blue, and khaki green and if I am lucky I might get some airbrushing layers laid down.

Very lucky.

So when looking at Anvils of Konor I saw he got cool hazard striping decals from The Mighty Brush.

So I ordered some:

gallery_27755_5863_121056.jpg

And thinking about my Liberator Strike Force for CFs I ordered the symbol in circle transfers.

Thinking about my Fists and playing in the CP/Inc PL2550 space for 9th I actually ordered some contrast paints which I'll try for them.

The metallics of the Silver Templars (after being suitably blinged out to marry DA/BT style gothicness) I'll do using lots of old Vallejo model air via airbrush.

And I'll keep painting the DG as I am doing.

However, the terrain.

I have a theorem for a quick solution - I think using red primer as rust and cheap pound shop pale prime yellows/blues etc. I can do rusted stuff very quickly and effectively.

gallery_27755_12410_357263.jpg

I did the grey before the idea, I think i can just prime them red and I'll try that on next wave. I have no cheap pale coloured acrylic cans at the moment so I'll do airbrushes of that for now.

The original crate is looking great to me, just waiting for the oil/turps to cure.

More later today.

So I did do one, and even though green post-its they aren't very sticky which is ridiculous for anything Nurgle related - I must have offended the God.

Have you considered Trello? I already use it to track bugs and fixes for my forum, but have recently started a new board to track my painting backlog. Looks a bit like this. =]

Interested to see how you get on with the transfers too, have looked at TMB's offerings before.

(oh, and your yellow is beautifully hideous!

@pawl: As far as digital collaborative tools go not really, as I am not collaborating with anyone at home :) At work I live in Jira. The thing with the green ones is they are a bad batch, all my others are fine. Then again I flit around so much digital Kanbans might save some trees...as for transfers when I go back to the Necromunda plastic tiles they'll get use. As an aside when you say yellow do you mean the test ETB Death Guard plague marine?

Okay, so the test crate is pretty much where I want it sans rust powders.

Under pale white light:

gallery_27755_12410_120033.jpg

Under yellow light:

gallery_27755_12410_190468.jpg

The red primer straight on the terracotta coloured plastic Ryza ruins.

gallery_27755_12410_137190.jpg

Slight gleam is because wet.

And some of the materials I'll try and use:

gallery_27755_12410_11437.jpg

I think latex works well sponged on when there is not much detail and large flat surfaces, otherwise it clogs in and is a bugger to get off completely.

I think marmite will worker better for crates and lots of detail...we'll see.

Many words!

I don't use it for collaborative reasons, purely because it's convenient, looks pretty and I can display it publicly if I want to. Plus it's easier than keeping notes, mental or physical.

Yeah, the Plague Marine - saw him when it was posted but forgot to reply!

The rust has come out really well! Although I would love to know where the Marmite comes in!

@pawl: You sponge on over the rust coloured paint, then spray white (for arguments sakes), then put in warm water so the Marmite dissolves and lifts the white so the rust shows through. Basically like the hairspray and sand, or latex sponged, techniques. I am about to do some now in the garage, i shall take pictures.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@pawl: I forgot how much I dislike the smell too.

So the glistening stuff is Marmite:

gallery_27755_12410_140653.jpg

Don't attempt anything without the gloves.

http://www.tzr.io/yarn-clip/cb5f1566-ea2e-4020-8984-c5de634a591b

gallery_27755_12410_134233.jpg

Then sprayed white. If I had industrial coloured spray cans (like a pale blue, yellow, orange etc.) I'd spray that when dry, but I will airbrush on some acrylics for now. I'll use khaki/olive greens for some buildings/ruins/crates to give them a military feel.

I think a grey primer rather than white would work straight away and do for a grey container.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Reading War of the Spider but so far great for Death Guard.

Malicious Volleys with Inexorable Advance with Virulent Rounds (bolt weapons become plague weapons and against Infantry unmodified would roll of 6 makes AP-4) and Overwhelming Generosity (+6" range shooting weapons, which delightfully would also affect Blight Grenades) and Relentless Volleys (boltgun and boltgun component of combi-weapon Rapid Fire 2 or combi-bolter Rapid Fire 3) means I want a 20 man strong Plague Marine unit with boltguns and a 10 man Blightlord unit with combi-bolters - not something I envisaged.

As for close in Plague Knives with Trench-fighters (+1A) and Creeping Blight (like Virulent Rounds for Melee) - a new lease of life.

Very inspired to get on with it - and right at the start of two weeks annual leave so no excuses to not get the basic backlog army (DI box) and terrain finished off in time for 9th edition in July.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@hushrong: Ta, and I am still cogitating over War of the Spider, the DG stuff is great, very enthused again and considering different possibilities.

Okay so on the left was car paint over Marmite and then to the right trying to get the paint off.

gallery_27755_12410_353962.jpg

It works but the heavier duty paints do not lift easily which I sort of guessed would be the case.

Downside is I need to use a suede brush (which is brass and steel tines) to get it going - which took off the fake sand rust - I'll just remix and add brown paint and then re-apply - lesson learnt is add it later.

Also when these paints run out I'll source definite acrylic sprays or use the airbrush.

One of the benefits of Marmite is if you have missed a bit you can still smell it on the model - these seem done but I might put them in the dishwater on a low heat and see if more comes off.

One or two wrinkles, no show stoppers but still so much faster than sponged latex or hairspray.

Note I am aiming to get enough scenery done for CP/Inc on 44"x30" for 9th (not that I am entirely clear how much that would be), and then the DG - I want the first battle all painted - thus looking to developed as fast a technique as I can balanced against effectiveness - scenery seems like a quick win for motivation.

Remember I'll still sponge on different browns for more rust patching and the prime colours too - the military green on the outside of the Ryza ruins against the white inside has been quite effective and was easy to do.

It is the oil wash over the floor wax that brings it all together.

Edit: When left to dry, or brought on by a hairdryer, more came off, presumably as when drying out the marmite detaches and no matter how much of a shell the paint forms it ends up coming away. So no need for the dishwasher.

Edited by Marius Perdo

So I wanted a wet palette box which the tufts are good for, and a plaguebearer contrast paint and ended up getting this at my local GW which is open again and within walking distance.

gallery_27755_12410_132977.jpg

The Start Collecting is OOP now, and I had two of that, and have three of the new one, but such good value with the Onager and Dominus I could not resist.

The box on the left is two Armiger Warglaives - as I have a Canis Rex I intend to build as a Knight Preceptor at some point I thought they could go with him (due to Mentor) - or one and then Nurgle one with a the spare Myphitic Blight-hauler I have from Conquest.

The two extra Beasts is due to War of the Spider - as I want to do 4th Plague Company - The Wretched - using The Rotted Veil Stratagem means it will always be 8PL summoned minimum at no risk so 20 plaguebearers and 4 beasts are need for that as a given. Unless trying for something bigger in PL I doubt I'll be using Plague Pact very often.