@hushrong: Ta, mostly impulse shopping though and only the beasts are squeezed into the plan (by turning a 2 into a 4) - I am soldiering on with the ruins - having the Ryza ruins meant doing the Sector Fronteris stuff seemed to make sense and I may do some more double stacked pipes.

So I am really loving the Hallford's red primer, as soon as it goes on everything feels industrial straight away.

gallery_27755_12410_382470.jpg

And I found these in the garage, had years, cleaned off dust and drying - found some old plaster of paris that I'll fill them with to make more rigid.

gallery_27755_12410_208440.jpg

Thing is I am fiddling with too much terrain, so I am going to return some to the garage or I'll never get a nice group finished.

I did find a large sheet of 4 mm wood that I think I can use to make a 44" x 30" for a dust/sand wasteland board for CP/Inc - and have enough spare as bases for a sunken city terrain board which I have wanted to do for years. It will be very fitting for necrons waking up.

When I was mixing friable rust out of PVA glue, powdered plastic/resin, beach sand, with Vallejo Mahogany and Armour Brown added, I made too much.

This meant a lot was left over in the blister pack trays I keep for mixing.

gallery_27755_12410_29879.jpg

It has set into something very tough that can be smooth, or undulating, and I think will be great to surface the 8 15" by 11" mdf board tiles I am making for CP/Inc sized games.

I am going to experiment with another tray with crackle medium added to see if anything interesting happens, another with the same and instant filler, and the last with bird sand and tint slate shards - if they work they can be used for bases as well as proof of concept.

Not settled on board colour - hushrong has a point about how the spray looked, but I don't want Mars but then again I'll watch the Martian again and probably lighten it a bit so it can be Mars type sand, or a rust oxide desert, or some sort of sulphur desert - so long as it works for the sunken city project I have meaning to do for years that is inspired by various GW examples of the years. It should do well for necron type shenanigans.

I built all the Fronteris stuff and it is now rust red.

I also built another section of double pipes like before, same length, and that is red and drying - tomorrow will be Marmite day for the lot.

Edit: the earth split but I have loads of soluble matt varnish, I reckon if I add that it will toughen and come away clean (I know this form when I did it before without paint).

Update:

Got materials, ahd loads more varnish than I thought which will add toughness.

gallery_27755_12410_119879.jpg

The fractured, friable stuff I will pestle and mortar and re-use but breaking it up and re-gluing on something messy, like PVA, could look like split mud.

Anyway, we'll see, been a while since I experimented - I think it will go well apart from the crackle medium which will do nowt.

Edited by Marius Perdo

As the experiments in ochre dry they are doing strange things, they are very wet though and I am considering using a palette knife to smear onto the rough side of a game tile MDF.

I will probably use the smooth side for industrial concrete in the style of the Sector Munitorum Kill Team tiles.

All the scenery that needs to be rust red base is now rust red.

gallery_27755_12410_69293.jpg

As well as the double pipes, some MDF to be used for a 16" by 16" (or so) sunken city terrain feature (the darker brown) and then spares for more.

gallery_27755_12410_22366.jpg

The paler stacked MDF are the tiles, 8 of at 15" by 11", they still need some squaring off.

Also the two test Ryza ruins and crates post Marmite and dishwasher and nothing else, the "white" one was the original experiment which is sponged, sealed with Klear, and then just oil washed.

gallery_27755_12410_172542.jpg

The salvaged manufactorum and some battlefield accessories - Marmite will come off in the dishwasher which is where they are about to go.

The weather here is atrocious now so no sawing outside (electrocution), no Marmite in the garage (I really don't enjoy the smell let alone in a closed environment) so to get the footprint correct for the feature I will start building it out of salvaged old cities of death kits and a shrine.

gallery_27755_12410_273960.jpg

The weather is meant to be horrendous until Thursday (wet, windy, thunderstorms), so I am glad I used the gorgeous weather on Wednesday through Friday to sort out the garage and various DIY jobs so I can just get this terrain painted with my last week off.

We are aiming for a big gaming session weekend 04/08 as my family are off in a cottage with friends somewhere in Wales (although I could probably have bought 3 - 5 Indomitus box sets for what that has cost me) - so peace and quiet and 9th should also be out - it means I can work on the Death Guard throughout July.

What could possibly go wrong?

Getting there, won't be long now:

gallery_27755_12410_44366.jpg

It is basically 15" deep by 16" wide but before I cut the MDF I want to do an outline and cut along that.

I will then use long sprue to lay out the walls plans to then build filler up against to not submerge the model any more but I will need to do some levelling off along the bottom.

I find laying out sandpaper and just rubbing back and forth on top of it is great for that.

I will make the base C shaped rather than square as the centre of the nave is about 5" by 10" and that MDF could be a base(s) for more smaller sunken city bits - it would just be a waste of wood, sand/gravel and paint that would not add much value.

Building everything else will be a lot faster as they will be less complex and I have loads of sawn bits as a by-product of the cathedral.

@hushrong: Ta, it looks like it is taking longer than it is but there is a lot of stuff that has been Marmited as well and is waiting the colour coat over the white, and I am doing half a dozen things at once - battle to report on will be on 08/08, my first with 9th edition. The goal is board, terrain, and 25 - 50 PL of DG done by then.

gallery_27755_12410_504595.jpg

So, I was in the garage and decided to saw and sand (got the B&D jigsaw, sander and workmate out), thing is I hadn't put in the link floor sections between the galleries and the doorway - not biggy, I can saw the MDF bit out and then glue it in. Doing too much all at once (including DIY, gardening, and cooking) as well as a secret project for after the Death Guard - transfers and resin things arrived from Forgeworld earlier today - inspired by finding some unbuilt models when sorting out the garage (which is now so sorted out I could set up the 6' by 4' Realm of Battle boards in there now), which led to reading their codex, then planning a conversion or two for their weakest model (all other models in their range are not weak at all).

Found 3 sets of spare ruined bits from the aquilla shrine set so I can do scatter ruined towers that can represent other wings to the cathedral or just ecclesiarchy ruins. However I may need some mint cities of death for those so I need to count how many I have and see how much are spare.

I still have plenty of the mangled and stripped stuff.

As we have some sunshine here this evening I got the coloured sprays over the last of the Ryza/mechanicum pipes stuff.

gallery_27755_12410_360171.jpg

Yellow pipes are promethium, pale blue plasma/hydrogen, orange where they are mixed with exciting results, and the industrial/military green is where to hide in when all the other colours go bang.

@Bjorn Firewalker: In 9th? No idea, Pariah has Theatres of War that reference a class called Industrial Terrain, whereas others state to use Sector Mechanicus or Death World Forests/Awakened Wyldwoods. I haven't opened my Urban Conquests to see what Urban Battlezones rule are, but presumably Hazardous Cover from Chapter Approved 2019 will do but 9th is here imminently - watching Twitch Stu Black stated there are lots of new rules and terrain classes in 9th - I'll wait to see what those are - I am not going to play again prior to 9th being out anyway. Too much to build and paint :wink:

Edit: based on Urban Conquest Indomitus v1.0 FAQ in UC a Sector Mechanicus Structure is an Industrial Structure in Indomitus/9th - presumably this is the same class as Industrial Terrain mentioned in Pariah ToW but I wish GW would call a Spade a Spade and be consistent with terms/labels.

Edited by Marius Perdo

So base build on sunken temple pretty much done.

gallery_27755_12410_98082.jpg

I will get the long sprues as a plan/rails attached to the base and then when filed flat on the underside of the ruin it can sit on top of those and line up - it will allow me to paint them separately and also have something to have sand piled up against on the base and something to glue the ruin to.

The other stuff is just waiting for sponging rust and primary colours, then sealing and an oil wash.

gallery_27755_12410_98184.jpg

And the 8 11" by 15" tiles, to make a 44" by 30" for CP/Inc have had the initial mix of PVA, slate dust, micro slate, beach sand and bird sand sort of tested out.

gallery_27755_12410_9545.jpg

The right ones had a little bit of ochre paint mixed in. I'll need to brush them off to loosen weak sand, and then I'll re-use that on the spare ones and then seal with PVA/soluable varnish. Then probably a dry brush of ochre and then seal, oil wash, and then seal again.

It needs to be hard wearing, have a bit of texture without being too lumpy otherwise scenery will wobble.

The smooth size of the MDF is on the opposite side so I can do that as a munitorum concrete area with lots of markings but that is for way in the future.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@hushrong: Ta, weirdly finally having a new style board and enough scenery sort of done feels like a big blocker cleared and something I'll use endlessly - an army is for a battle/campaign, a board/scenery is forever.

Back working, hobby wise I am building the extra two beasts I bought and 10 plaguebearers, 3 plague drones and 3 nurgling bases.

I am also fiddling with crap odd bits of old buildings (loads more) and making some towers like in the ruin (for other wings) and sorting out a campanile (bell tower).

Also listened to Angels of Death a lot, and just finished listening to Watchers of the Throne: the Emperor's Legion.

As a consequence I ordered lots (more) of Custodes and Grey Knights.

@Iron Bars: I hadn't thought of that :smile.: "Some day I'll finish a project and today is that day"? It is weird to almost have something sort of done - work projects, no problem, if not I'd be unemployed. Hobby ones - this has been decades in the making - maybe I should strip it all and start again?

Edited by Marius Perdo

So with less than 4 weeks out until 08/08, when I am meant to be playing with painted Death Guard and terrain (a day of Combat Patrols and Incursions), it was time for a bit of a retrospective even though nothing is actually finished.

Whilst the newer plastic kit scenery build, red Hallford's primer and Marmite and base colours went well, doing the sunken city stuff, whilst fun and very enthusing, is not needed at this stage. However after 08/08 I am looking forward to continuing with those. It was sort of a side trek and time waste but I really enjoyed it and it offset the tedium of sorting out the garage, DIY, gardening etc.

That means with the Battlezone: Manufactorum Battlefield (which I have ordered) I don't need to continue with the sand tiles at this stage - as an aside those new pipe kits and storage tanks look great. This has given me back time.

Also I don't need the daemons, building lots to cover off all sorts is possibilities is going to cause me to fail the target - so I am going to groom my backlog for just Dark Imperium Death Guard stuff and that can be my sprint(s). In fact there was getting to be so many daemons it was becoming a detachment size on it's own.

At Combat Patrol size all is fine (Dark Imperium is more than enough models), but at Incursion I'm about 8 PL short (that was going to be Reinforcements for summonation) but I am going with a Plague Surgeon conversion and a Biologus Putrifier conversion to backfill that. Just two models, interesting to convert, and effective (but also quick and less to do).

So sprint 1 is the Combat Patrol list (plaguecaster, blightbringer conversion, plague marine x7, poxwalker x10 (2) and sprint 2 will add lord of contagion conversion, plague surgeon conversion, putrifier conversion, and a bloat-drone.

That actually seems doable.

Edit: later that day -

gallery_27755_12410_42922.jpg

So using older paints I did sponging.

Well, for rust it was Vallejo Air Armour Brown concentrating on large patches of the Red Primer, then Vallejo Model Mahogany just generally.

For the yellow it was some old Bubonic Brown with some Golden Yellow mixed in, and for the blue Space Wolves Grey.

These slightly different shades are intentional to add a bit of highlighting in a way. I put the paints in a wet palette as sponging is wasteful enough.

Now I'll use some very old Purity Seal to seal (as I don't trust it at all for models) and then oil wash on top of that.

For the Ryza ruins I'll use Catachan Green when sponging and for the orange sector stuff probably Macharius Solar Orange (Jokaero in new money).

Note I will eventually add some transfers if it makes sense, chip, sponge, seal, then wash and eventually as a final stage (for all) some rust and dust weathering powders.

However just taking them up to oil wash will be enough for a table ready MVP.

Note to make it even faster I am going to see if the spray colours go on over the red primer effectively, then I can cut out the white primer over the Marmite step and make it faster - I also think the paint will come off more easily.

On the profligate side I also have 3 Indomitus boxes, Chapter Approved, Open War cards, and the battlezone board and objectives order confirmed and paid for.

Edit 2: And another thing, I wanted some more Promethium Relay Pipes but they are OOP. On eBay when people want Edited by Marius Perdo

Been busy work week, but the scenery simplest paint method continues:

gallery_27755_12410_138573.jpg

Left is Red primer with Marmite on, then off-white cream spray.

Middle is Marmite gone which came off very easily.

Right is sponged reds/browns and then very thin oil wash.

This is quick and will do for the table top.

A re-visit would involve tidying up chips, a few washes that are then streaked with neat turps, and weathering powders put on rust spots and then streaking.

However today I will be converting a Noxious Blightbringer for my Combat Patrol and doing all their cast bases, then the CP will be built and it will be on to painting.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Dantay VI: You can sponge it on in the same way as folks sponge on chipping damage, so as light or as heavy handed as you like. Comes off easier than latex/mask even with tac, and costs a lot less (as you just soak in warm water and scrub) - I have a jar that is still 90% full and so far past its sell by date that it is measured in lustrums over, not months.

Note if in the land down under Vegemite might work, my missus eats both, I do not. Then again she hates Irn Bru, sassenach that she is.

I suppose it is a bit odd painting models with food...(if you can even call Marmite food).

Edited by Marius Perdo