Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Death Guard CSM, Iron Warrior Legion, DIY Primaris LOPLOG

Minotaurs Chapter Crimson Slaughter Death Guard Iron Warriors Legion DIY Primaris Chapter Horus Heresy Crimson Fists Badab War Raven Guard Legion

• Please log in to reply
791 replies to this topic

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors Legion

@hushrong: I wouldn't, it is a love or hate it thing.

So I started work on my Noxious Blightbringer conversion:

gallery_27755_12410_66457.jpg

Helm from Heroes season 3, (his) right shoulder* and belly from Malignant Plaguecaster, reversed the bell and put a spare horn from a Lord of Contagion shoulder on (his) right side.

Base is a cast from Wurmspat.

I'll probably replace his hand held bell head with the one from the Plaguedrones kit. I'll need to optimise positioning, a bit of green stuff in the shoulder joint, add grenades etc. Lots of tac still.

But not a bad start even if I say so myself.

*this needs changing or the small horn cutting away or it would collide with the pack horn.

Looked at tring to cut down 32mm cast bases for 25mm Pox Walkers - just doesn't work, bases that small it looks wrong - I'll just use micro slate/sand mix above and textured technical paints.

With 10 unique sculpts from DI and 6 from ETB I just swapped parts between the four duplicates. Differing paint schemes will help, I just don't find Pox Walkers very exciting.

Note the Malignant Plaguecaster, Noxious Blightbringer, Plague Marines x7 and Pox Walkers x20 come to PL26, so we'll have to see what happens to those in Chapter Approved, my gut is I'll have to drop 10 Pox Walkers with suspected PL increases when 9th launch is base lined.

• Kizzdougs and KrautScientist like this

Some day I'll finish off a project, but today is not that day.

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,475 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors
Your blightbringer conversion is looking spot on already! Interested in seeing what you churn out for pox walkers.

As for the paste-looking spread I am always down to try something new.
  • Marius Perdo likes this

Black Legion: The Fire Rises

Dornian Heresy: Iron Hands Raiders

Alpha Legion: The Heads of the Hydra Strike

Emperor's Children: Cult of Golden Tears

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts

@hushrong: Ta.

I have decided to go with the MP kit plasma pistol and an arm that is aiming, the bell from the Plaguedrones, any blight grenades will be dangling death's heads due to lack of space, a lumpy thing from the ETB Blightlords to go on the base, and I have filled in and done some initial GS blending for the right shoulder to repair the saw damage.

gallery_27755_12410_77010.jpg

And the four very simple weapon/arm swaps for the duplicate poxwalkers as hushrong askled.

gallery_27755_12410_132804.jpg

Note I will paint all plague marines in this batch bone/yellowish due to time constraints but as I do more plague marines and squads I will do the mixed colours as originally intended unless I really like the same colour for the Vectorium.

Edit: 777 replies to this topic, The God approves of my plans.

Edited by Marius Perdo, 21 July 2020 - 07:28 PM.

acrowsperch

acrowsperch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6 posts

I always disliked the limited amount of poxwalker models, but those armswaps really help!

And that blightbringer looks great, wish that head was more easily accessible.

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts

@acrowsperch: Ta, there is a head that is similar with holes (like some putrid blightkings have) in the plague marine multi-part kit - but, yeah, the two heads that come with any of the Heroes models is quite handy (and rare).

This arrived today.

gallery_27755_12410_160656.jpg

It was not actually an impulse purchase, but as it seemed to go OOP with GW and the store I shop at had it with 25% discount I got it.

I wanted some more orks to go with some I had gotten hunting down cheap eBay Assault on Black Reaches for their dreadnought multi-melta arms, and the captain's sword etc.

With CP/Inc battles being a way to play in 9th, and with the Crimson Fists project I have planned earlier, doing both sides for a Back to the Battle at the Farm (which I played relentlessly when it came out and is still sat on my shelf in my old RT hardback) is a potential project - but probably not with the big guy.

I forgot I had some sector imperialis bases as well as sector mechanicus in 25mm, so I'll use those for poxwalkers and will rebase tonight (but add maggots etc.).

Otherwise everything is nearly built.

I also got some Questoris when AT came out, and since then they released the pod and arm sprue which arrived yesterday and I am doing my first knights inspired by spotting i could reuse some 40mm scenic bases from Heroes with added Epic 40k ruins/MKVI space marines from Space Marine (in original dark green plastic)* to change the scale and trick the eye (the ones with craters mostly). 

I'll do a general photo dump late Saturday, missus and daughter away camping with uncle and cousin so I'll half-day tomorrow and then go hobby mad whilst finishing of Saturnince and other audio books.

I also noted the GM edition will go OOP soon, and with the new Cerastus coming and the Ryza book, I pondered for a bit then ordered the AT GM and the HH boxes which with I already bought would be 3 Warlords, 4 Reavers, 4 warhounds, 9 Questoris, and 4 Cerastus.

I'll get some Acastus (2) when I get the new Cerastus box (of 4, 2 of each new type) and that will be more than enough for my War Griffons and House Coldshroud.

Not having to spend £400+ commuting a month and 20+ hours a week commuting has made a profound impact on my capacity, and enthusiasm, for the hobby.

*Iron Warriors as allies at Paramar V and then enemies at Tallarn. 

Edited by Marius Perdo, 23 July 2020 - 05:47 PM.

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts

A bit more work/home straight on the Noxious Blightbringer - need to take away a rock on the base for the slug shark lump thing and wait for green stuff to cure and then final positioning can happen.

gallery_27755_12410_301064.jpg

• KrautScientist likes this

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,475 posts
The arm swaps on the pox walkers look good. The blightbringer also looks great. Love how he came together.

Black Legion: The Fire Rises

Dornian Heresy: Iron Hands Raiders

Alpha Legion: The Heads of the Hydra Strike

Emperor's Children: Cult of Golden Tears

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts

@hushrong: Ta.

So base build and bases done:

gallery_27755_12410_191169.jpg

Final mould line clear up then spray all grey then zenithal white and then...well...paint them.

That will be PL26 in old money, no idea in new as I still don't have any of my three Indomitus, print reading doesn't work well with my eyesight anyway, and GW haven't sold any of these products (full rulebook/chapter approved) digitally.

And from what I can see the app wasn't even MVP and was a prototype and for iOS VERY soon seems to be more elastic than anywhere I've worked or consumed services from before.

After these the next models will be a converted Plague Surgeon, a converted Biologus Putrifier, and converted Foetid Bloat-drone - which might come to PL50 - I don't know anymore smile.png

Edited by Marius Perdo, 28 July 2020 - 06:46 AM.

Llagos_Tyrant

Llagos_Tyrant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 426 posts

And some of the materials I'll try and use:

gallery_27755_12410_11437.jpg

I think marmite will worker better for crates and lots of detail...we'll see.

I don't understand - you're going to use my everyday breakfast go to on toast as a part of your painting kit? I can't tell if this immediately makes me more worried about my health and food choices.

gallery_48988_15808_1006.pnggallery_48988_15808_13455.pnggallery_48988_15094_11545.pnggallery_48988_15094_13336.png

Iron Warriors//VIIth Grand Battalion: Liber Index

Hobby on Instagram at @GrimDarkHobby

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts

@Llagos_Tyrant: great for damage, whether showing rust through, or concrete under coloured plaster. I find it a smelly and sticky alternative to hairspray or rubber/latex masks. For modelling, not as food smile.png

So my gaming buddy got 4 Indomitus. He knew I'd been updated (even though ordered early and paid up front) with getting my three by 31/08 (yes, 31/08 not 31/07 and not made to order). As we intend to play on 07/08 and I'd spent so much time and effort on the scenery, board etc. he felt that having the actual rules before we play, even though they will be a nightmare to read non-digitally, would probably help. He also knows I am beyond irritated that GW have no plans to release digitally and sod the visually impaired - I usually buy everything digital from them (and in the UK no VAT on those now).

So he suggested I get one off him until mine arrive:

gallery_27755_12410_108080.jpg

Thanks Kris. My missus was were we used to live visiting her dad today (were Kris still lives) and picked it up for me whilst I digitally slaved away ensuring that our MVPs, which are fit for use and purpose, were continuing to transition successfully as usable service - unlike others I can think of that look like an alpha.

My 9th experience thus far (until Kris) has made me lose all objectivity - still no idea about Chapter Approved - kind of hoping a certain business sees sense and sells digitally like everything else they have until 9th. All very #1stworldproblems but I am old and grumpy and get excited about very little and this has been a bit disappointing and a let down.

Also my Horus Heresy Grand Master Edition arrived today and my two lots of paladins (which had been stuck at picked for weeks from since before I ordered the Beast thing), from the same place that might eventually send my Indomitus in the month after the month after I ordered and paid for it - assuming it can escape the gravity of Black Hole.

On a cheerier note I watched Anvils of Konor's YouTube channel (he is on here somewhere, or was, as CaptainJack), and discovered that nail polish stands make excellent paint pot holders (and very cheap on eBay), Royal Sovereign Silicone pencils are amazing for smoothing Milliput on the inevitable plastic to resin gaps on FW tanks (and Storm Eagles), and the type 9 scalpel blade for my Swann Morton handle is an actual thing and what it is for (also ordered from eBay). Sheffield need to put a blue plaque up wherever they make these things.

These modelling nuggets of wisdom cheered me up immeasurably (but I am still so bitter even Perturabo would say I'm too salty).

However, I have made a deal with myself, until the DG CP is all grey with white on it I am not allowed to open the Indomitus box.

So I am looking at the HH Grand Master's Edition instead msn-wink.gif

Edited by Marius Perdo, 28 July 2020 - 07:20 PM.

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts

So I sprayed them grey but the weather was hot and humid and it covered in powder - i assumed bad can and tooth brushed off.

Then a zenithal with white, similar powder but not as bad. Thus definitely weather - tooth brushed off again.

Then washed with Devlan Mud as I have a plethora and is good for showing up mould lines that might have been missed - now I did this over grey ages ago with some converted DV plasma gunners and said it might not be bad for Death Guard - with the white on grey that is not far wrong.

gallery_27755_12410_197351.jpg

Maybe not quite for the Plague Marines but certainly as a start for loads of cultists.

Also popped into GW to get some Ork Boyz and Lootas and got the crusade book and chapter approved - no amended and BL PRs - sure I heard on WHTV on Twitch that they where re-baselining PRs as well - also the font is so small a vulture wouldn't be able to read it.

Whilst out my order of the new AT cerastus knights (4), AT nemesis warbringer, AT acatsus knights (2), AT acastus knight control panels, start collecting! orks, ork data cards, ork shokk attack gun, and all the resin weapons from FW for AT titans arrived.

I will be busy for a while but now to paint the Death Guard after calculating what PRs they should be if 20 points = 1 PR, just to annoy myself. Probably explains why not in the app as GW probably won't recalculate PR until new Codeices but don't want to put the old PRs in the app.

So much for Crusade though as that uses PRs.

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts

I decided to add three more bolters.

When spraying the conditions were less humid.

More white adhered, no powder to brush off:

gallery_27755_12410_18509.jpg

As can be seen the Devlan Mud wash looks crisper still has a green/grimey quality, and is brighter (compare to the poxwlker)

So I have sprayed the others white and will do the same.

The orange furnace was sprayed a bit more red, then Marmite, then the off white/cream spray from the pipe above, and has been cleaned and is drying in the green house.

Done colour sponging pale blue and yellow on pipes and drums, need to do green and white on remaining Ryza and Manufactorum /green on crates and then metallics on palettes.

Then brown/black sponging on all, then seal with spray varnish, then thin oil wash.

Will I get everything painted by Saturday - no.

However everything will be semi-painted and by the time we do the next all dayer, which will probably be the start of the Crusade in September , they will be (and more besides).

Then finish of those Iron Warriors and an ork Crusade can begin (and then some Crimson Fists from before) and we can go back to where it all began 33 years ago - down of the Farm.

Edited by Marius Perdo, 03 August 2020 - 08:04 PM.

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts

Watered down Bleached Bone wash, then Snakebite Leather wash, then Scorched Brown very thin wash.

gallery_27755_12410_303048.jpg

The spray paint powder mess, then the Delan Mud not being the same means it is all very organic. The variation can be their colours slowly changing and aligning to a unified Vectorium.

At this stage I haven't actually painted with anything other than sprays and washes.

• Givemead likes this

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts

So...

The city next to where I live just went on C-19 lockdown so my mate can't come over tomorrow, thanks Nurgle.

But I found out a work colleague I get on well with doesn't just play D&D (I don't anymore, haven't in over 15 years) but he used to play necrons (and still has them all), saw Indomitus, caved and bought it, and he lives in said city. So when lifted he is also up for CP/Crusade.

Finding myself at a loose end I have decided to get all the DG I built since DI came out (mostly back then) modified if I am unhappy with them (the central 4 for a start), all scenic based and browned up (as above).

gallery_27755_12410_190757.jpg

The three bloat-drones I built/converted earlier aren't in shot. I also have three blight-haulers un-glued that I need to ponder converting for variety.

The termie lord I did ages ago will become a blightlord champion and I'll do a similar conversion for the other champion for two squads of 5.

I also have three mint conversion blends (DI, KNF, MP) in the tray behind the deathshroud I want to finish off.

So, I'll just flit between all these as the mood takes me until everything is built, based, and brown, but priority is DI+ stuff first.

Not very structured but I'll do that later when all at the same point of progress - I am unlikely to play until September now (and I am sure the necron players would prefer October for the Crusade when their codex is out).

As for me my family is away in Wales with friends until Tuesday, I have Monday off so I have three days to gimp out. They are also away camping a few more times this month before my daughter starts school which means I will have a lot more hobby time this month even with little time off work.

I'll post end of day Monday with progress, I wonder how far I'll get?

Edited by Marius Perdo, 10 August 2020 - 09:47 AM.

Iron Bars

Iron Bars

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
  • Faction: Shattered Legions (iron tenth)
Crosses thumbs, looks like a good plan. I wish you well and look forward to what you produce.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

KrautScientist

KrautScientist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,837 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters

Some really good work on those Death Guard models! Love the converted Noxious Blightbringer! :)

Marius Perdo

Marius Perdo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 965 posts

@Iron Bars: Ta, diverged a bit, explanation to follow.

@KrautScientist: Thanks mate, it is indicative of a trick I missed though.

Okay, so when DI came out I kit-bashed and converted like a man possessed. Never really finished anything, and in particular there were some DI models I never built as stock - I have loads spare so that is one of the first things I am rectifying. I think i was almost trying too hard for them to be different when there was not always a need as they weren't even duplicates at that point.

Also the 40mm elites - I have two of each and whilst I have conversion ideas for the second ones (a bit like the Noxious Blightbringer above) I will just get the original stocks done first.

I have also cast a fair few bases this weekend (including a new mold of the Indomitus Captain base) in between gardening and DIY jobs - however I got the mix wrong with one batch which led to needing to use the very hot and dry greenhouse to dry out some - it has worked and I will sand later but it did stop that production line dead.

gallery_27755_12410_305224.jpg

So my goal by end of day is to get these on scenic bases, which for the Lord of Contagion, drone and hauler will involve a bit of collaging. Mold lines cleaned and wash ready for spraying when the weather is better suiting (no more powder coat messes).

However what really derailed me was messing about with blightlord terminators and waht conversions could be done with ETB Felthius and cohort along with the LoC I started ages ago.

gallery_27755_12410_137228.jpg

Just a sketch:

gallery_27755_12410_52226.jpg

Felthius led down a slimy wormhole that it took me some time to slither back out of:

gallery_27755_12410_433563.jpg

The flail one is more me thinking about if it was a staff and he was s sorcerer.

Now I have two ETB sets (bought one and one Conquest), but I had so much fun, and other ideas, that I had to order another two boxes as they are Last Chance to Buy.

I did do other stuff, like carefully cut loads of plasma pistols from Noxious Blightbringers, build my second box of MP Blightlord bodies with the other head, the base mold as mentioned, built a stock malignant Plaguecaster, talked at length on Zoom to my mate about Crusade and PRs changing over time and probably best wait until October for his necrons and why won't GW re-issue the new baselines as even with point going slightly back up they are still less than when DG launched and loads of DG units PRs are too high which is important when trying to do a roster (although GW announced yesterday they should be out this week).

Anyway had fun, did stuff other than I planned, couldn't spray paint anyway, and I still have the rest of the day.

Edited by Marius Perdo, Yesterday, 03:06 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Minotaurs Chapter, Crimson Slaughter, Death Guard, Iron Warriors Legion, DIY Primaris Chapter, Horus Heresy, Crimson Fists, Badab War, Raven Guard Legion

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users