Death Guard news first - I have reduced the 4 that annoyed me back to being armless and in some cases backpackless and now I can do them morer betterer :smile.: At this stage I still have enough of everything in build to have at least one of every load out so I am going to build a lot extra with boltguns until I could have a squad of 20 if I wanted.

Some stuff I ordered months ago arrived from GW:

gallery_27755_12410_13060.jpg

I love how for their first group of breeze blocks/bricks model they included a scenic sister of battle.

gallery_27755_12410_191869.jpg

For the termie I immediately fixated on another 40mm scenic base that looked like the Season 2 Heroes, then realised he must be a reject from that line - imagine the plastic as red.

I also got some starter assault intercessors as different sculpts and the second box can be used for running leg conversions for other primaris.

Which leads on to background musings in my brain...

Primaris only marines - I have the Silver Templars stuff from Conquest, lots of their transfer sheets, and we'll see what next months White Dwarf holds (probably transfer sheets) and the Codex in October - but it is still my intent to have one of everything painted for them and have them as my (main) Primaris only army, slightly baroqued out like some 6th edition Dark Angels art style - dangling skulls with spikes nailed in, tattered cloth and purity seals, and small armorials like the art - which makes them more Indomitus style too (been on Crusade).

Interested to see what happens with chapter tactics - if I played now I'd give them Duellists and Master Artisans but it'll be interesting to see if there are new equivalents.

Also the small Crimson Fists Crusade to fight (my) Orks with at a Farm, based on using a Crimson Fists Liberator Strike Force (earlier experiments earlier in this thread #626ish).

However I do have loads so a division of flesh on excessive primaris duplicates will be easily doable for Deathwatch, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves...leads on to next bit.

Mixed armies - well old marines are getting a new lease of life, and more wounds. Thus mixed arms armies like those listed above, and Ultramarines (I have Roboute, Marneus & Victrix, Tigurius etc.) are doable and their departure is less imminent. However with Combat patrol and better old marines I am left pondering the Badab War (again).

Building a few Loyalist and Secessionist old marine Crusades to 50 PL and adding primaris later for "current" versions up to 100 PL, seems like a way not to "waste" models and future proof but also refight the War - for example I have a lot of Red Scorpion resin and brass etch from FW so doing them and then primaris later makes sense.

Same for Sons of Medusa (Vaylund Cal conversion), Characaradons (Tyberios), Minotaurs (Asterion) etc. Some I just won't do (mad paint schemes or two many Loyalists) but we'll see what the new codex holds regards building chapter tactics. Probably a ratio of 1.5 L to S - the only waste will be the Astral Claws but I have Lufgt anyway to build around.

Note I am still quite focussed on Death Guard it is just I am usually pondering something else as well and I like to have a hobby thing to think about when I have spare time but can't hobby.

For example lots of 5mm x 1mm magnets turned up for AT projects...

Edit: Later that evening...

gallery_27755_12410_220687.jpg

More farting about with tac and experimenting, the back left one is the copy of the old image, no idea whose originally, but i cut out carefully./carved leaving the wrist part of the MKIII vambrace intact.

The guy to his right I have already changed my mind, as I was moving them after shot I had an epiphany.

The bits lying near models are options that I am considering - still playing about.

The DI guy with belcher - it fits brilliantly except no arms reaches the hand, including MKIII arms. So I'll probably mimic the claw/tentacle from the ETB bolter and have that extend from a left arms wrist. As can be seen for duplicates of that model (which comes with different gun arms and chest plate as is) the other bolters, including the ETB one (loads spare now) should fit nicely if tentacled. Still need to saw him off the base.

Anyway, that is my approach and "process", it is just I am more considered now so no more rush jobs this time around.

Edited by Marius Perdo

So having discussed with mates we are probably leaving it until 2021 before we even try to play.

Near where I am is on lock down, the Space Marine and Necron codices in October should be a great revealer of things to come, and I am curious about what White Dwarf 456 had for Silver Templars - probably rules like Crimson Fists and Blood Ravens that will be invalid in less than 4 weeks and not mesh with the codex at all :)

I got a lot of the Silver Templar transfer sheets and I do want to do them relic'ed up like the art (seals, tabards, skulls staked to shoulders). I did a stock take on all things Primaris and stunned even myself although I need to get them in a spreadsheet but more than enough for everything - except 3 reivers short of 25 but luckily I found an ETB sprue on fleabay and for less

Been pottering occasionally, work is very busy and will be all week (putting new C-19 response services live).

However WD456 looks interesting for Silver Templars so I ordered a 3rd party mod for an Invictor having seen St.Lazarus' thread here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/361444-imperial-fists-legion-reborn/page-3

And the part: https://popgoesthemonkey.com/collections/custom-dreadnoughts-bits/products/interceptor-war-suit-cockpit

I also ordered bigger paint bottles as I ran out of small ones and ended up having loads for some colours, the big ones fit in the nail polish tray shown earlier (just).

gallery_27755_12410_74688.jpg

I am decanting everything into these if I have loads, and listening to audio books (Avenging Son 1 at the moment) as I go.

I have also been cataloguing my Primaris models into <insert spreadsheet of choice here> and working my way through Badab War Volume 2 and adding to the Rolls of Battle (basically a chronology of how fought when an where and when they left) for future "historic" Crusades (also in <insert spreadsheet of choice here>, I'd done book 1 ages ago).

My mate fancies doing Raptors as one of the Loyalist armies for Badab, and adding Primaris later, and I recalled them being in the Taros campaign - I have some Tau lying about and that is another "historic" Crusade possibility - but also the Avenging Sons being blue - and with the new novels, Roboute being back, Indomitis etc. I spent some of my time reading about them.

Now the chapter symbol being a white crosslet sent me back to https://www.chaptercustomizer.com/

Whilst I used decal paper in the past it is fiddly, I don't have a printer anymore, and printing white...

Anyway, the had red (Fire Angels) - but no white. So I mailed them and asked if they would add them at some point for "Sons who like Avenging" - and they mailed back and said added. And they had, at 10 bucks, which is about as cheap as their sheets go for.

Mindblown, ordered immediately (and other stuff as they have a winter is coming sale). However, think on - if you fancy your own homebrew chapter and just want the symbol but in a different colour (especially if just one colour) possibly worth reaching out to them and seeing what is possible.

Also having read The Mighty Brushes Raven Guard guide (well, all of them, I went on a spree) I finally have a scheme I would love to do for my HH RG.

Look at post #954 and you'll see why I am so taken with it: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/282574-luthers-wosp-works-of-slow-progress/page-39

Note I got some of his hazard stripe transfers as well for my Necromunda tiles, just haven't got around to using them as yet.

Oh, and I went a bit Necromunda mad - getting the Slave Ogryn cards, Escher cards, Corpse Grinder cards, Zone Mortalis cards, Open Hive War (unfortunately off eBay, ow), the new Escher models, the Slave Ogryn gang box, lots of plastic wallets as I have used my 300 OOP Necromunda ones up, then oddness happened....

I have a box of Cawdor, there are spare crow bits from my Corvus Cabal knocking about, I got the FW "deal" with both weapon sets and a plastic box, then the heads, then another plastic box - and I really have no idea why. I know they are very different from my Goliaths, so it might be that, and spare bits will be useful for my DG cultists...but I normally have very clear plans as to why I spend, no matter how profligate.

With them...not sure.

It may be as I have sent my family on three holidays, sorted all sorts out that is terribly responsible, and felt that at least some part of my bonus should go on something utterly stupid :smile.:

I also got more of the hangers on etc. from FW - someday I might actually play Necromunda, probably after I get around to playing 9th.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Master Umbra: Ta, weird about the kitbashes, had a thought on that fermenting over the past few days.

Having them part built letting ideas percolate means it normalises them. Sat there they become a "normal" figure in your army and you have more ideas about what can be added, or what you could do differently for another model.

Slow but steady is working better for me as an approach.

What I also found beneficial is to think twice about where your conversion is going. This sounds obvious, but I often found myself choosing whatever bits there were available for the sake of finishing the conversion. Having undone a fair bit of them when I stripped the primer (it removed tons of GS work along with the paint) is allowing me to revisit and improve my minis. Anyway, yours is also a great approach that I also use! Looking forward to your next update.

@Master Umbra: Yeah, you can get carried away and just rush to try and finish, whereas leaving and considering is best.

@TrawlingCleaner: primaris will wait until all the new kits are out so I have all the bits for consideration - then it is so Silver Templar time.

Well, yesterday was full of all sorts of splendid reveals.

With old marines getting improved i was in two minds about blended Chapters against pure Primaris - but with all that lovely primaris stuff that is gone :smile.: I have started instamold lifting small shield details from Black Templar crusader seals and other odds and sods for my Silver Templars.

Also with the old marine improvements Badab War research is nearly done - some Chapters I won't do  as I don't like them, their lack of chapter symbol decal, and/or their colour scheme.

Others are a must like Astral Claws (well, all the Secessionists) - in s sense several classes:

• Zeroes - the ones I don't like, such as Fire Hawks, Marines Errant, Howling Griffons (quartered AND black - nope) etc., not happening.
  • Tertiary - only getting used for the Badab War, like Astral Claws, not going to use to many high quality minis.
  • Secondary - can be used later (as in after Badab War) but I will only have old marines, Lamenters and Star Phantoms etc.
  • Primary - will add primaris for the Indomitus era at some point, like Sons of Medusa, Red Scorpions, Raptors, Mantis Warriors and Executioners.

Basically we want to play as Crusade, so will have about 50 PL for each, for primary may add 50PL of Primaris later.

Base for each is two 5 man tactical squads that for Primary armies will be merged into a single 10 man tactical squad (by doing an extra troop to replace a sergeant) later.

For old marines I have separated reserves into several boxes:

• Stripped and salvaged - primarily original 3rd edition 1st generation Goodwin plastics.
  • Old and mint - original 3rd edition 1st generation Goodwin plastics on sprue.
  • Old and mint - original 3rd edition 2nd generation Goodwin plastics on sprue.
  • Old and mint - original 6th (?) edition plastics on sprue - when we got sternguard,vanguard, centurions etc.
  • Old and starter box - Battle for Macragge, Assault on Black Reach, Dark Vengeance - these will be Doghoused.
  • Forgeworld oddbins - resin bits of MK IV, V, umbra pattern bolt guns etc.
  • Forgeworld Characters - Carab Culln, Sevrin Loth, Tyberos etc.
  • Space Marine Heroes - Season 1 and 2.

So the Codices...

As I obviously have marines in abundance it will be great for the Badab War, but I also have a lot of Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves, where we can do various FW IA inspired Crusades, like reusing Red Scorpions for Siege of Vraks (along with Dark Angels) and Anphelion Project (as I have some tyranids), reused Raptors (with Avenging Sons) for Taros Campaign (as I have some Tau), Space Wolves for Doom of Mymeara (as I have some Craftworld Aeldari).

As can be seen by earlier posts I also have lots of Deathwatch ideas.

So this year I'll get the Space Marine Codex, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, and Deathwatch and early next year Dark Angels (I have so many unbuilt Deathwing, bikes and speeders).

Also the Imperial Armour: Compendium might have data sheets for the Badab War heroes again.

And then of course the new Death Guard Codex and that new lovely (?) Lord of Virulence.

So whilst I am still building Death Guard in the background today I fancy a change (it is as good as a rest) and I am aiming to get rough sketches done of some Astral Claws based on the art in the IA book (two 5 man tactical squads) using some of my old unfinished conversions as a base, and start exploring the use of the left hand again :smile.:

Edited by Marius Perdo

Or not - I have researched, sorted, catalogued, counted, tallied etc.

But that just made me think of Tallymen...

The thing with the old stuff is it was just nostalgia feels, the models are a bit small, the armour mark mashing just made me think of my HH Iron Warriors, and as far as marines go I really want to do all the new stuff.

Badab War can wait - at least I know where everything is should I ever be so bored and unemployed I have the time to do all that, what was I thinking?

I think I might do a Silver Templar test model for variety and keep bimbling with my Death Guard.

Doing a Silver Templar but my airbrush went spattery so doing a deep clean.

Using Vallejo Model Air Gun as base (over black), then Steel (when it went wrong) and I'll finish with zenithal Silver.

To pull it back I have glazed with watered down Abaddon Black (an idea from the Silver Templars Painting Guide) which has mosty worked.

Some spatters still but I'll use them for chipping points.

I have cast some termie librarian bases as well.

Edited by Marius Perdo

So as can be seen by the cellulose thinners swirling with silver paint the brush was not clean. It was caused by a deep blockage of Klear - i won't be putting floor wax through an airbrush again.

gallery_27755_12410_161714.jpg

So I have taken most of my model air iron type metallics and decanted and mixed with some extra X20 thinners for spraying.

I have 4 more filled that size and 8 original bottles, one of the steel (as shown) and the small silver one. Vallejo Model Air Gun 71072, Steel 71065 and Silver 71063.

So now I can go to the garage after bedtime stories and see if I can screw up again.

And something arrived from America.

gallery_27755_12410_30274.jpg

I guess the first Vanguard multi-part thing I am going to build is an Invictor Warsuit - now that is something to Bond Martial with and with so many guns it'll be a lot of claim-runes all at once.

@segmentumobscurusstudios: File down on sandpaper as thin as is practical, file base the same way (surface) and glue to base, cut off feet on base, distress/fill with greenstuff, and then see which ones go best with a given model as you can rotate their aspect and try out stances. Dry pin and try a few positions, greesntuff fill holes when you inevitably change your mind. Going to do a Silver Templars Intercessor squad this weekend and some are ETB and DI (which most are familiar with) and I'll show you want I mean.

So this test one went a bit too bright and has had a very thinned Abaddon glaze to pull it back - but I'll wait until daylight before deciding what to do next (I may do another very light Silver 71063). So it now appears too dark :smile.:

gallery_27755_12410_97485.jpg

So I found that as the Air paints are years old even with a glass agitator bead I am probably going to have to get a vibration mixer (tattoo ink ones look reasonable) to break up clumped aluminium flakes (the real metal bits in metallic paints, very fine grain with Air paints).

Vallejo Model Air Gun 71072, Steel 71065 and Silver 71063 is good for this mid-metal, like Silver Templars, Knights of the Raven, Iron Warriors etc. I found really diluting and doing lots of gentle coats worked well and a higher than normal psi worked best to stop spattering.

It is the washes, and whether I do oil washes, that will vary from army to army.

I think Vallejo Model Air Gun 71072 and Steel 71065 work work well for Silver Skulls (dark gun metal) and Vallejo Model Air Steel 71065, Silver 71063 and Aluminium 71062 would do for Grey Knights at the shinier end.

Note it is due to the cleaner lines of the primaris, and especially their vehicles, that meant I had to find something that was clean, crisp, and fast. They are almost the opposite to my Death Guard which are utterly forgiving of sloppiness and almost need to be painted messily.

I think to contrast with the metal I'll do bases with marbles, sandstones, and pale dusts and rusty ferric metals.

Need to ponder weathering, chipping and scratches, I think less will be more and subtle.

Looking forward to WD #456 on Saturday for more Silver Templar stuff.

PS In terms of squaring off for historic Crusades this was staring me in the face - Death Guard versus Silver Templars...doh.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Read the new WD this morning.

ST are very interesting - their Chapter Tactic is Bond Martial which basically combines Duellist and Master Artisan - which is what I would have given them in 8th. To make the most of it lots of small squads initially (good for small Crusades).

Interesting Relics (the armour in particular but the banner is cool too), WTs (3) and Stratagems (2) - a slight bias towards Fight so Assault Intercessors rejoice (and all melee). Also slight bias towards hunting Characters.

The preference for stalker bolter rifles in fluff text is gone, minor typo referring to 10th as Scout company but then later correctly as Vanguard company.

All in all I like them, and I am all in with re-purposing what I have built as STs.

In the light of day my model is too speckled/spattered from early coats and the black undercoat spray is probably too thick (did it at night) so I’ll strip and I think I’ll use the airbrush to undercoat black so very thin coats from the start.

I’ll then finish building the stalker squad, then I think I’ll do the 3 ETB Assault intercessors but also use bits to build another two as conversions (probably plasma pistol and power sword for a sergeant then a spare heavy bolt pistol from Indomitus and a BA Primaris upgrade sprue Astartes chainsword).

I will only do lots of relic skulls, stakes, and parchment/cloth/seals on sergeants and characters and others of interest or it will take forever.

Edit: later the same day...

Stripped nice and nearly completely clean, useful experiment.

I have ordered some Vallejo Model Color 200 ml Polyurethane Primer - Black (3 of) as I think I want as thin and smooth a coat as possible. I think cans are putting on too much. Should arrive by 20:00 tomorrow (sometimes I love Amazon Prime).

I will finish stripping the test guy in the meantime, file down the bases, build the last stalker for the squad of 5 and work on the Assault Intercessors (ETB) and customise 2 for a squad of 5.

I am very enthused about my Death Guard and Silver Templars Primaris, everything else is now so far on the backburner as to be in the incenerator.

Although we've heard that before...

Work has calmed down thus mojo returned.

Edit 2: Even later....

So I checked how many unique Season 1 bases there are:

gallery_27755_12410_242932.jpg

13 and with the Intercessor from the start 40k when DI came out 14, so there are 28 there.

The "blue" sergeant will have his arm swapped to be pointing, pistol was a daft idea for a sniper unit, and I'll add relic skulls, loincloth etc. to him.

I'll build the 5th one from the ETB with auspex and holding up a bolt rifle in right hand by converting it into a stalker.

And the sergeant and guy leaning forward - they need more fitting bases but the non-sergeant guy who I always felt leaned too much into his left - I will find a base that raises up his left foot more so he appears to be standing more level (as shown) - this is a way to change stance and aspect with little effort - change what they are stood on as the world is not flat, don't change the model.

Edited by Marius Perdo

So finally creativity sparked...took all day but after having got hands on with the Indomitus and ETB Assault Intercessors (from the paint set) ideas won't stop flowing:

gallery_27755_12410_130861.jpg

Okay, bottle on the left, got 3, Amazon Choice next day so was no brainer.

Below the other 3 ETBs.

Then the Indomitus Assault sergeant but I will use the non sergeant right arm and sword at waist and then the hellblaster plasma pistol left arm with bionics and a MKVI pad as the heavy assault vambrace and shoulders for left arm will be in the MP kit but as not out yet can't wait - in this case his left arm blew up at some point.

Centre is the last stalker, going to convert the bolt rifle and either do auspex hand but more likely the popped panel one.

The 3 ETB bottom left, I'll take a second grenade one and use the Indomitus plasma pistol, add the AoBR captain sword in place of the astartes chainsword, skull icon helm, and besagew/tilting shield for a sergeant conversion. I'll need to cut out the holstered pistol grip. I'll scrape off the UM markings and the support markings as I prefere transfers for chipping.

Note ETB x3 x2 is 6 so I'll do one sergeant conversion as suggested from grenade thrower, swap the pistol arms on the other two after sawing and change helm direction - dropping a sergeant and combing the remaining 5 with Indomitus five will give a squad of 10 should I wish.

So, hint, it'll be MP kit when out for running legs as all of these come with the massive pistol holsters molded in. Also their chainsword are beefier with a crossguard quillion and hilt and pommel like the blade guards swords which means if cut away carefully they work very well with (power) sword blades.

For optimal positioning I do not attach heads but cut off and glue the stubs into the holes. That way I can get the angle right when basing and positioning (well, eventually).

Stalker sergeant: I have removed stupid bolt pistol arm and will replace with pointing one, I'll use the pistol grip from the bolt rifle conversion to refill the holster (I took it out before when doing the pistol).

I have always had problems with damage/chipping on metals so Jovan is there as a reference for actual mild crater damage, which I will apply to every model, along with slashes. Also how his loincloth attaches for other sergeants when I relic them up (which will happen to these three).

Finally that position, aspect, and stance is all, and affects head positioning, so I'll be sanding down those 28 (14 x 2 bases) shown above to optimise positioning after endless experimentation. Needs to be done at the start as part of the "design", not an afterthought at the end (IMO).

So today has been ideas and prep, tomorrow some execution.

PS DG are still out and about as can be seen in shot, they aren't going anywhere, just a slight change for a bit. Still first equal faves.

Edited by Marius Perdo

• 2 weeks later...

Been sorting out scenic bases, need to do some filling for gaps.

Looking forward to Saturday and the new start collecting bases (to cast) for necrons and the chaplain biker base as well.

And the codices - less so on lack of greater than mobile phone sized digital format.

As an aside no digital versions of the micro books/ cards isn't much use either.

However:

gallery_27755_12410_107033.jpg

As there are actually terrain data cards for Battlezone manufactorum (mostly) I will build all those first - basically command edition and Vertigus - I have crates and haulers aplenty in the garage.

But:

gallery_27755_12410_199382.jpg

Now as we shift from Sectors (Mechanicus/Imperialis) to Battlezones it'll be interesting to see what ends up where (or in more than one Battlezone) but I would have expected the Sector Imperialis: Manufactorum to get a Battlezone manufactorum terrain datasheet card, and the Sector Mechanicus: Derelict Factorum to as well.

Now I could do counts as, like the old Manufactorum high enough with extra low ruined walls as a Sanctum Administratus, or Promethium Relay Pipes and Plasma conduits (and plasma regulators and haemotropes) as thermic pipes but I will wait.

For now though I am going to leave uncovered terrain and hope they'll do a terrain card pack(s) for everything at some point (or zone by zone) and just stick with Battlezone Manufactorum stuff that actually has full rules.

The Solid Construction rule means saves for everyone :smile.:

Edited by Marius Perdo

• 2 months later...

Work has been mad busy.

Also the lack of digital formats so I can actually read the rules and background is demotivating - and now the same is happening for Warcry. The books look cool, not that I can read them (although I own them all for WH40K) - I am hoping GW see sense and make them digital in app with the codes a bit like Azyr.*

At least Necromunda is still ePubs at Warhammer Digital (for now) - and all the new models and terrain for that are cool (and purchased).

However the Death Guard stuff looks very cool, I am almost enthused, and there is a move away from the demotivation (for me) that is building swarms of pox walkers and cultists.

So my goal is to finish building and converting, fresh for the New Year and the delayed minute and unreadable codex (also hopefully low risk in regards to unexpected rule complications):

• Finish building a Plagueburst Crawler; to not only have one but also to get a feel and design cues for:
  • Defiler in a Crawler style (pock marks, slight splits etc.) i.e. Mortarion gets plans from Abbaddon 
  • Death Guard Possessed (finish my Thing style one from earlier and do another four)
  • DV converted Helbrutes - the one I originally intended (lascannon/missile launcher) but as the rules have moved on also one with a more tentacular power scourge (as the rules changed for Engagement Range) and probably a multi-melta

Anyway, ponder time for a bit, got a course for three days next week, then a few releases and then finished for the year so stuff will start appearing on here from next weekend.

*note this may seem like whining but try reading paper which obviously does not come with a zoom function when you have CSR damage (Central Serous Retinopathy) - this backwards step (presumably to do with digital copying as GW used to sell in an accessible format) is really not very progressive in this day and age and the phone app does not work properly on tablets and phones are not an accessibility device as their screens, even on large models, are tiny. Whenever I deploy services (especially citizen facing websites) there is a whole host of legislation, compliance, governance and audits (quite rightly) to make them accessible (basically readable and usable) - seems bizarre physical publishers are not equally accountable and legislatively bound (as in must provide in a fair and equally accessible format and digital makes more sense than A3 or A2) although many aware ones voluntarily engage with IPA and ABC (and best practice guides).

Edited by Marius Perdo

• 1 month later...

So I skimmed the new Death Guard book.

I picked that up, cards, new lord, and the chimney things.

Basically love it and like what I have trouble seeing.

Loads changed but the salient points when considering models:

• Generally old chaos marine models are now all T5 and properly Death Guard, but more kit aligned gear options or gone completely (like chaos sorcerer not in terminator armour)
  • Only one Lord allowed (and one daemon prince) - Infernal Jealousy - and if a Lord of Contagion with a Manreaper also has an Orb of Dessication - probably like Lord Felthius but odd as they got discontinued (and some parts of that model are awful) 
  • Foetid Virion - up to three of the Elite Characters as one Elites choice - but only up to 3
  • MUST chose a Plague Company, not can or may, MUST i.e. not optional and no making your own up
  • Daemonic Ritual gone and all that summoning 
  • Deadly Pathogens - how to make non-relic and non named Characters and "champions" Plague Weapons more interesting
  • Plague Marines - the numbers of weapons and when they unlock (ratios) has changed a bit, I initially got excited about 4 plague belchers and 2 plague spewers in a 20 man unit near a Lord of Virulences Aura of Destruction (or 20 bolt guns doing the same with Virulent Rounds tactic but that might get weird if not rolling to wound due to sigil of decay) but no -  5-10 now in the unit, not 5, 7, 10, 15, or 20
  • Everyone getting the extra wound but also an extra attack (no Hateful Assault anymore)
  • And if having any two Melee Plague Weapons being A3 - so the Flail of Corruption model with plague knife from Heroes series makes a wee bit more sense
  • And have Icons of Despair and/or Sigils of Decay - I am going with Icons are borne, sigils are worn i.e. icon = banner/sigil on power pack
  • Possessed tougher but not slowed and when looking at land raiders only 5 are allowed (like termies) and not allowed in rhinos, for me I am thinking of them as very big boys on 40mm bases - out of everything it is converting these I am looking forward to the most - does make me wonder what a new general possesed kit might be like
  • Cultists 10 to 30 and Diseased Minions stops spam, sort of, as can have as many of those and as many pox walkers as bubonic astartes so not really limited
  • Poxwalkers sort of having the old Disgustingly Resilient - Unclean Horde but only on a 6 and with a save of 7+ they'll need it
  • The relic bolt pistol that became plague weapon in PA seems to be gone which means I am glad I never converted that
  • Plague-drones having a single stat line no matter how damaged - lovely
  • Everything's PR generally getting smaller, or a lot smaller

Anyway, loads more to read and digest, and ponder, and then plan but I am glad I waited as generally looking good, will influence which models I build (and how), and I am almost enthused :smile.:

And yes, it has already fermented conversion ideas.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Givemead: NP, there is loads though, this is more just models.

And another change:

• Blightlord terminators can't take any combi-weapon, 1 in 5 of each type max, so no spamming i.e. aligned to kit so 1 of flamer, 1 of melta, one of plasma
  • Also 1 in 5 blight launcher or reaper and another 1 in 5 plague spewer
  • Also Vehicles have Contagions of Nurgle (-1T to increasing range) and with the Detachment rule of Inexorable Advance (no penalty to shoot at Engagement Range) being near them is bad for the enemy

So as you can imagine I am mostly looking at what I had built, part-built, unbuilt, planned to build (convert) and bits and generally working out what is now possible, required, or no longer allowed or significantly interesting compared to the old codex.

Again kind of lucky I never finished anything off :smile.:

Edit: Deathshroud as well:

• That dangly bell thing the champion could hold is now a thing - a powerful thing (+3” to all Contagion abilities) - it is called a Chimes of Contagion

Well I never attached mine to my Deathshroud Champion as it was originally just cosmetic - I glued mine to an Icon of Despair conversion. So after fruitless bit shops searches I looked at these horrible scythe wielding murderers, with 4A each with a weapon in Scythe mode that would make that 8 Hit Rolls each (10 for the champion), the fact that whilst BFR is Elite they are Core, they are unit size 3 - 6, and just ordered another box - I’ll carefully cut the hand away from my champion and and that bit and then have another 3 Deathshroud for a unit of 6.

And all those lovely bits leftover for conversions of Blightlord termies and Death Guard Chaos Lords in Terminator Armour.

Note the new stuff cost me £81.43 with PNP and 25% off RRP, the weapon bits I ordered (plague belchers x7/meltagun x5) was £13, and the Deathshroud (unexpected purchase) where £30 with PNP and and 25% off RRP. I expected to spend about £125 - £150 so under budget and coming out of a chunk of overtime that was unexpected so all good (the family will spend the rest of the OT).

And I didn’t need all those special weapons, I didn’t note that max plague marine size is now only 10 but got all excited about 1 in 5 having them in a unit of 20...oh well.

Edit 2: Getting hands on with the Lord of Virulence I am unsure about the flesh kilt, certainly for painting. But it will be an excellent base for converted Death Guard Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour/Death Guard Sorcerer in Terminator Armour - so I ordered two more.

Edited by Marius Perdo

The two (LoV) arrived, old boxes sit near me awaiting sorting this weekend full of all my Death Guard, the defiler has been found and will become diseased.

Old idea pondered, like back at #332:

"GW = Malignant Plaguecaster - spore clouds, viral/bacterial gases & mists & corpse gases

Slopmaw Maggotmancer - daemon maggots bursting forth & relentlessly consuming flesh - daemon maggot parasite in belly popping out to say hello/bite
Cadaverous Faminebringer - starvation & hyper-metabolism rapidly catabolising/consuming tissue - skeletal attributes - hooded skull face of a skeletal plaguebearer with ironic re-breather mask
Me = Wormtongue Rotmaster - writhing masses of tenebrous snaring & strangling worms, literally enemies dragged down & "food for worms" - Kyuss themes, Grimes Wormtongues
Flyblown Swarmlord - daemon fly swarms, biting & stinging, clogging mechanisms/weapons, endless droning & buzzing driving enemies suicidal with despair, large flies as familiars & hunting "hounds"
Gluttonous Butcherfiend - literally eating lives for the Eater of Lives, butchering rotting meat or still living prey, "meats back on the menu boys" & "it all adds to the flavour" & "I likes it raw and wriggling", coagulated & rancid blood, corpulent & jovial, butchers aprons & kroot/chaos marauder/blightking hooks & knives/haunches of flesh dangling from corrupted stave
Tumorous Cankermage - elephantine legs & cankerous tumors, carcinogenic aerosol weapons, great big curly steampunk pipes attached to corrupted stave & hookah re-breather backpack & smoke mask, billowing vaporous fumes"

Now GW give us the Slimeclench Sludgeconjurer (which sounds like have a difficult bowel motion) and the Gangrenous Fleshmoulder (makie Nurgle chaos spawn?). I shall ponder those.

The other common lord we have after Contagion and Virulence (according to background) is Poxes, which in the old Dex states "spreading of airborne miasmas and the merciless attritional erosion of the enemy".

So I thought about a Death Guard Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour (converting a Lov) and having WT Foul Effluents [Aura] 6 " - imagining it as gas, DP - Explosive Outbreak (lots of miasma) and Relic Fugaris Helm so lots of flies and the above out to 9" and the re-roll 1s the same but...

No plague weapon for that model so no DP. Oops - no dice.

So, the LoV.

His aura ability is Okay but is not amazing and it only works on core units ranged plage weapons. So...

Plague marines - maybe 4 at best (in 10 man squad 2 belcher, 1 spewer, 1 launcher), with all boltguns (or combi-for blightlords) and Virulent Round stratagem a bit nasty but end of the day it does nothing unless you roll a 6 to wound.

Now with deathshroud plaguespurts it could be a surprise, as a unit of 6 and a champion with 2 would be 7d6 auto-hits, re-roll wounds of 1 and if you roll a six to wound -1 AP but still...I have a lot of ifs there.

Also...helbrutes, core, no plague weapons at all let alone ranger and possessed no range plague weapons. So no affect.

Then there is that skirt/kilt - the "flensefrond cloak" that leaves a trail of slime that daemon engines follow - no it doesn't - it has no in game affect at all as far as I can see and just makes the model harder to paint (unless it is hidden in a tactic).

So that is going, I'll cut the helm out and put a head in with that awesome mask as I don't like the helm (but sunk into a blightlord maybe?).

As for the spare spewers single nozzle them and they'll be great alternate spewers for blightlords, and as for the flensefronds...possessed membranes maybe?

Anyone, diseased ideas have begun to bubble again...

Edited by Marius Perdo

So I have decided what to have a crack at first:

gallery_27755_12410_212020.jpg

Basically the DI box but with 2 of the plague marines going with the 3 ETB - as you can't have 7 anymore, 5 or 10 if using PR (well you can but you'd pay for 10 so it would be daft).

And the 3 reinforcement ones with the blister champion and blister icon of despair bearer.

So 3 of 5, and I'll flex out to 3 of 10 eventually. As they don't have squad markings this will be flexible and interchangeable.

The symbols down the front are the bits from the MP box (of 7 which is not a "legal" number) which I will use for Sigils of Decay in bolter heavy units.

I will do wee conversions here and there, especially with repositioning the staid ETB ones.

So sawing off old bases and adding to scenic ones, building scenic base montages for the bigger base models and building the ETB and blister guys.

Note the other WIPs are still knocking about:

gallery_27755_12410_322677.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

• 3 months later...

Well, I started a thread on the 23rd of July but with the DB crash and roll back dogs ate it along with my homework.

The beauty is you now will get a lot of WIP pictures like some rapid time lapse across a fortnight without my inane rambling. That won't last :smile.:

The downside is there will be lots of pictures in one post, but not much I can do about that as I am having to play catch up.

The Wall of Bronze Beasts

gallery_27755_8709_70455.jpg

Printed scans from my copies of the IA books for inspiration and direction.

The First Five

gallery_27755_8709_123657.jpg

Gotta start somewhere and as I want half in Mk VIII a squad in my take on that armour was the obvious starting point. At this point I was pleased.

Mk VIII Chests

gallery_27755_8709_185118.jpg

How I did Mk VIII chest so the abdomen cables aren't exposed. I obviously could only do so many before I ran out so you'll start to see white bits as I lifted a cast of my modified chest plates.

Losing Focus

gallery_27755_8709_289873.jpg

Rather than staying on point I wondered what the second squad in MK VIII would look like as I intend to give them Tigrus bolt guns. Great but still not one squad built :smile.:

Focus still lost...

gallery_27755_8709_85825.jpg

And what they would look like with a plasma gun, Ryza pattern of course. Second squad again, still off with the fairies...

Standing on things is cool

gallery_27755_8709_49506.jpg

Lorenzen said so (at least I think he did long ago). And he is right. And he is doing Minotaurs too! Although I won't have bare flesh anywhere on mine, too page 3 exposing themselves and helms are more menancing. Note I went back to squad one again at this point. I was going to make this guy the combat squad leader but didn't which has led to problems (see later). Arguably you could say I'd regained my focus...

Captain who became Sciron

gallery_27755_8709_209612.jpg

gallery_27755_8709_155401.jpg

...but you'd be wrong. An idea that escaped and broke focus. On the original thread the consensus was the name Sciron suited him more than Carcinus. When I say consensus like one person responded. Both are spare names from the FW brass etch sheet. I like him, pity I'll hardly ever use him. He is more progressed now and I will finish him for Grotsmasha;s challenge as a "funsies".

Finally the Heavy

gallery_27755_8709_11810.jpg

I stopped procrastinating and prevaricating and finally built the squad heavy weapon. Quite happy with this, so I put all my avoidance energies into the special weapon bloke.

Sons of Medusa

gallery_27755_8709_158335.jpg

No, really. Whilst avoiding doing the flamer I started fiddling with Sons of Medusa. I should write a book called Focus Lost or something.

Flamers need bunkers to burn

gallery_27755_8709_817837.jpg

gallery_27755_8709_110343.jpg

gallery_27755_8709_66207.jpg

So, Armies on Parade and themed terrain is well important, more so than having an actual squad built, so I am doing this in tandem. Big, isn't it? Note I will be attacking this as Minotaurs so it'll be ouch time for me. Fits with them perfectly of course thus me doing it. And the fact I had the FW Siege of Vraks moduler resin trench stuff lying about gathering dust. More on this later but I'll be picking up the foam board and ply tomorrow.

The gang is not all here

gallery_27755_8709_240437.jpg

Nine. Sort of like the Nazgul except not. Flamer guy all sinister on the right side. Missile launcher man strangely giving out quests.

Sinister

gallery_27755_8709_219290.jpg

Close up of too many to be a combat squad and not remotely loaded right even if they where.

Dexter

gallery_27755_8709_252769.jpg

And too few for a combat squad but at least a close up of elusive flamer chap.

Note I cannot make my mind up on the last bolter man, who may also be squad leader, so I'll make another nine and then decide which one goes with these guys and then give the others Tigrus, then vacillate for ages over who gets to be Sergeant Aristophane, and then avoid building their plasma gunner and heavy bolterer for ages whilst building a full 6 ft. by 2 ft. trench system.

However tonight is gym, then selling my FW Reaver on eBay, and then adding bulbs to all their ankles.

Hi Marius, I just wanna say I've loved following the work you've done throughout the years (been following this blog since way before I ever got an account here), and your Minotaurs actually inspired me to start my own Minotaurs army back in high school! I'm planning to return to that army, and I've always loved your Minotaurs Captain (the one from the Masters of the Chapter that you gave a shield), and I'm wondering if its ok if I copy this conversion? If/when I post my Minotaurs, I'll 100% credit you and explain that its a copy of your work and link folks here, but I just wanted to get your permission before I go ahead with anything :) And keep up the awesome work! I love seeing all the armies you've done over the years!

• 2 weeks later...