• 3 weeks later...

I find myself very short of time and doing conversions based on DV chosen is very time consuming.

It was when farting about with some 1st Strike Primaris Intercessors (that I had opened for size comparisons) that I was pondering what the UM upgrade sprue would be like.

gallery_27755_12410_147726.jpg

A lot of fun could be had using DI, Know No Fear, and 1st Strike stuff mashed up with the multi-part boxes.

Thing is chaos have a lot more personality for me now.

However, I read the new Death Guard codex as soon as it came out and the Apostles of Contagion (of the 4th Plague Company) rang a bell. Turned out is was Necrosius the Undying's lot from Siege of Vraks pts 2 & 3.

So I ordered that model from FW. Shockingly small and a terrible cast. The mold must be at end of life.

So I decided to build my own, and then due to inspiration from KrautScientist and GuitaRasmus things have started to snowball (so long as it is yellow snow as this is Death Guard).

gallery_27755_12410_254283.jpg

Think I might call him Carcosan Waxenface. He'll be the first of a coven of three, the Death's Heads, and lots of autogun cultists (some Gifted of the Singing Sagacious Sons of the Seven Sacred Sonorous Songs) and poxwalkers (lots). The way some of the new DG stratagems work it should be fun recycling single cultists into multiple poxwalkers units (that is so going to get FAQd).

I have enjoyed fodder units (cultists/lesser daemons) alongside chaos space marine/cult units so Death Guard of the 4th Plague Company makes sense, especially as I like sorcerers/pyskers, and don't really like Typhus or Mortarion (a bit like Necrosius).

And a DG Hellbrute will just look cool and will be ace in game with Inexorable Advance, Fire Frenzy and twin lascannon and missile launcher.

Oh and the Plague Brethren sold me utterly on plague marines.

First PL50 battle tomorrow.

PS found it somewhat ironic what the Death Guard have done to the Minotaurs geneseed reserves.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Lorenzen: Ta mate. Yeah, it is the necromancer staff top with the skulls cut out that is used for something else. I'll put bells/censers or even a nurgling in there. I spliced it on top of a putrid blightking icon haft. I envisage he carved it from a rotting tree that he crucified an infected/blessed Imperial cardinal on using the Nails of Torment (now through the bottom). I want it to have a sort of Nurglish crosier vibe.

And the third WIP of the Death's Head, the first Disciples of the Apostles of Contagion (Necrosius' first followers). I think he will be called Grimes Wormtongues.

gallery_27755_12410_116220.jpg

Started a concept on a 4th Malignant Plaguecaster using a Noxious Blightringer as a base. All the censers, pistol and head will come off. He will be the warlord and will have the Pandemic Staff (which doesn't replace a Corrupted Staff so he can have two).

On the left added a vaporous head cloud thing from the battle wizard set, did the same to the guy at the back, and the guy on the right I used a cut off plague cloud from the stock model as a base cloud, then a complete one rising up with a forsaken plaguebearer head emerging as if he is summoning up plaguebearers from the corrupted ground. Took the antlers off as they started to annoy me.

All very WIP and messing about at the moment but having loads of fun.

gallery_27755_12410_172997.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Sagentus: Ta mate.

Well, a bit further along. The Deathshroud Terminators box sets has 2 heads per model (2 champion ones) and a last one for if you don't build a champion. So 7 in total, which after selecting left me with 4 spare (and a spare manreaper blade for a spare DI Lord of Contagion conversion I have planned).

So I used it on the Noxious Blightbringer to Malignant Plaguecaster conversion WIP.

gallery_27755_12410_114250.jpg

Once I had all the bells and head off I had a lot of fun trying all sorts of other bits with him i.e. as in something other than Malignant Plaguecaster. Glad I have four. Lots of ideas now.

I will reverse hands and bell direction, and head swap on one, for a second non-stock position Noxious Blightbringer aiming a left hand plasma pistol. I'll do another one as stock, and probably use the last for a squads plague champion (I think I saw GuitaRasmus do a cool one).

I just wish GW would hurry up and release the plaguemarines box so I can look at bits, particularly shoulder pads and backpacks, and stop blu-tacing :smile.:

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Ovidius Incertus: Ta. Sure.

Legs as you stated from FW Iron Hands techmarine.

Right arm and hammer from Deathwatch multi-part box.
Body, head, groin & backplates, powerpack/servo-harness, small servo claws, bionic left arm, servo flamer, and servo plasma cutter arm from kataphron destroyer box (uses the bits from one) - leaves tracks spare for a rapier I guess.
Plasma cutters old plastic plasma pistols.
Larger servo/drill - onager dunecrawler.

Right side servo skull - the info skull from the sicaran rustwalkers box.

Left side servo skull - Grey Knight terminators box.

Left foot - centurion foot, note one centurion foot can do both feet.

Shoulder pads - space marine vehicle accessory sprue crew pads.

I was going to add the plastic groin plates from the plastic assault terminators to each side of him but I couldn't find any and loss impetus. Also couldn't find my old Admec FW brass etch which I was going to use on the hammer's head(s) (assuming I could neatly cut a cog in half).

I never took a size comparison shot, he is very large and suits the 40mm base Vaylund Cal is supposed to be on.

Obviously I lost impetus and caught Nurgle's Rot instead.

Edit: the picture above is not the most up to date, I have done a bit more work, just all tac'd together though.

Edited by Marius Perdo

• 2 weeks later...

I have been pottering the past few weeks, and had a couple of battles with Death Guard.

Forgot to post the slight progress.

Firstly I just wish all the kits were out so I could finish off some ideas/speculations based on the bits I have seen, and some models that are nearly done but just need a little something else/extra.

gallery_27755_12410_171589.jpg

I am basically happy with the two Plaguecasters on the left. I am probably going to take the Pandemic staff off the one in the middle when I see new shoulder pads as I want to do three daemon princes, one with paired malefic talons/tentacles and a staff.

The other one needs a lot of waist work and, again, shoulder pad.

The Plague Champion embryonic conversions will need bits from the multi-part box. The one aiming the boltgun will have that replaced with a plasma gun, and he'll need a blight grenade hanging from his waist.

The one with the 1st Strike head, arm, and backpack based on the hacked up Noxious Blightbringer needs a blight grenade as well, and the pack nozzles swapping about. Again this needs the multi-part box to see the newer backpacks.

Also been fiddling with spare plasma pistols from Noxious Blightbringers for combi-plasmas on Blightlords, as well as some Putrid Blightking swords and censers for extra plagueswords.

Still having fun, enjoying lots of poxwalkers (not building them) and lots of cultists (again not building them) and The Dead Walk Again stratagem.

Converting all those poxwalkers (100) and cultists (30 DG, 60 odd The Tainted) is going to suck.

Having built stock Deathshrouds and Blightlords, and having some spare Lords of Contagion, I used some spare bits to start messing about with a terminator lord (very WIP, early days yet, lots of ideas to implement yet whilst a wait for the greenstuff to cure).

I'll do something similar with another using the Blightlord flail to make a sorcerer in terminator armour using a force staff.

gallery_27755_12410_74999.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Gabociius: Thanks mate. I am really enjoying myself :smile.: Been seriously inspired by GuitaRasmus and KrautScientist. I just want the last kit from this weekend, it apparently has 14 odd heads, then I can finish some stuff off and no doubt be inspired anew.

Enjoying playing them as well, third battle tomorrow afternoon.

The terminator lord, and terminator sorcerer when a bit arrives, are to teleport in with the Lord of Contagion, Deathshrouds, and Blightlords, so they have psychic buffs but also sit under the Lord of Nurgle aura (especially with a Fulgaris Helm).

However a daemon prince has Prince of Chaos which is the same but affects Nurgle daemons as well. I also reckoned one in Suppurating Plate with wings, and warlord trait of either Tainted Regeneration or Hulking physique, and casting Putrescent Vitality on itself would be amusing (as well as Grandfather's Blessings stratagem).

I'll be using the other model from this kit for a daemon prince of Khorne at some point. Saw someone called Trevor did this first, but my variation is a bit different (Cawl part is reversed for a start). Too heavy to keep together with tac, sort of amuses me he is like a insect pinned to my desk :smile.:

gallery_27755_12410_48489.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Sagentus: Thanks mate. The range is all out now so time to start ogling various bits.

So, I went to pick up my store anniversary Primaris Captain today, and even though I had already ordered some I picked up another box of Plague Marines in store, and Typhus as I didn't order him, ummed and aahed a bit, and then decided what the hell.

gallery_27755_12410_80546.jpg

Now to ponder what I can do with my DI (7), KNF (5), 1st Strike x3 (9ish), and two boxed sets (14) of plague marines. I also have the plague champion and icon bearers coming in the post (probably Tuesday).

I have the last ten poxwalkers to build, and I have 20 mint DV cultists coming from eBay so I'll have a squad of 40 auto-gunners for Death Guard and about 100 with brutal close combat weapons for the Tainted and Crimson Slaughter/World Eaters. I may aim to do the latter in drab khakis and dark browns so they are generic, but the auto-gunners will be Nurglified.

However the extra deathshroud chestplate arrived whilst I was out so I might start a Lord of Contagion with Manreaper and sorcerer in terminator armour whilst watching Mindhunter.

A bit more work on the termie lord, and then I used him as a test for a sorcerer with a (chaos) force staff. I'll probably use the helmetless head from the plague champion blister for the sorcerer, as it is too small to fit hooded Deathshroud helms in there. He'll look to his right and the horn on that head shouldn't get in the way.

Started gluing the plague champion based on the Noxious Blightbringer, using the plague champion bits from the 1st Strike box. I reversed the nozzle/skulls on the back pack. I'll probably add one on top so it has three skulls facing forward a bit like the Death Guard symbol.

The new box set is literally making my brain melt with ideas on how to kit-bash the bits/models with DI/KNF/1st Strike plague marines for variety and uniqueness. When the second box and the champion/icon bearer blister arrives I'll have enough for 5 squads of 7, and I'll aim to have an icon in each, champion with fist and plasma gun, and then a mix of plasma guns and blight launchers. I'll have a spare melta-gunner (to go with the Plague Brethren one), and I'll probably use one to make a chaos lord with a plasma weapon of some kind and a balesword.

gallery_27755_12410_21121.jpg

Well, a morning in Nurgle's Garden and I have been messing about with the new kit, and the DI/KNF and 1st strike stuff.

gallery_27755_12410_7013.jpg

A few observations...

I have noted the 1st strike champion and blight launcher blokes need their heads detaching and then swapping in spares from the other kits looking at angles should be a doddle (sort of Doghouse). They are just too static.

I have more ideas for icons of despair than actual bearers which means I can choose the five I like best.

I need to ease back and tack before glue and stop being so enthused. Some ideas I had last night were fine, but having had more of a play and I think better ideas are coming the more I familiarize myself with the new bits. The 1st strike blight launcher on the DI guy looks crap for example. It looks better on a multi-box body (it has since been easily removed).

I might as well go full conversion and kit-bash, and avoid stock when the stock models is a bit meh (IMO). This is especially true of the 1st strike champion and blight launcher guy. I know from the Necrosius I started it is easy to take him apart and decapitate, and the blight launcher guy has turned out to be the same. With spare optional extra chest plates from the multi-part box set they can be easily modified.

It is so much easier when everything is plastic :)

With the new boxes and blister packs I have started to actually plan the plague marine units.

gallery_27755_12410_19187.jpg

The boxed set has a couple of spare shoulder pads, a back pack, 6 chest plates, and 17 odd helms per box.

Whilst I wasn't going to do melee units with so many models now, and Putrescent Vitality and Blades of Putrefaction, and such nice bits, I will do a couple.

With the DI (7) (with swapped in Noxious Blightbringer as I used the PC as a Malignant Plaguecaster), KNF (5), Plague Brethren (3), 1st Strike x3 (9), boxed set x2 (14), and blister packs (2), I have a pool of 40.

I have found sawing up the more static 1st Strike frees up bits that can look more dynamic when kit-bashed, and their chest are easily swapped with boxed set ones.

So I am aiming to do:

7 with PC with 1st Strike plasma gun backpack/plague knife/power fist, plasma gun x2, Icon of Despair, boltguns/plague knives.
7 with PC with 1st Strike plasma gun backpack/plaguesword/powerf ist, plasma guns x2, Icon of Despair, boltguns/plague knives.

7 with PC with 1st Strike plasma gun backpack/plague(?)/power fist, blight launcher x2, Icon of Despair, boltguns/plague knives.

7 with PC with plasma pistol/plague sword/power fist, plague belcher x2, great plague cleaver, flail of corruption, mace of corruption & bubotic axe, Icon of Despair & plague knives.

7 with PC with plasma pistol/plague knife/power fist, plague spewer x2, great plague cleaver, flail of corruption, mace of corruption & bubotic axe, Icon of Despair & plague knives.

That would leave an extra Plague Brethren with meltagun, so I'll build another with a meltagun for swapping. From the remaining three probably a couple more blight launchers (1 box/1 1st Strike) for swapping, and then the last guy to convert into a chaos lord of Nurgle.

I am ascending to the attic to rummage for old sawn off meltagun nozzles as chimneys for back packs, and similar from the Manufactorum kits.

Should keep me busy for a while.

You're like a factory, churning out wonderful and repugnant Nurgle models with every update. I'm not at all keen on Nurgle and his followers but even I have to admit you have some excellent conversions here. I especially like the Lord in Terminator armour you posted on the 12th (keep him that way!) and the Plague Champion you posted on the 14th. :tu:

@Chaplain Dosjetka: Thanks mate. It was a combination of GuitaRasmus and KrautScientists work on DI stuff (amongst other things in GRs case), the fact newer kits were obviously on the way (and are now all here apart from the myphitic blighthaulaers), combined with how slow it was converting DV stuff and the paucity of newer chaos kits to jazz them up, that inspired me and made me take clippers to sprue.

They are also a lot fun to play. Watching three 15 strong purestrain genestealers (cult) units charge into them and get tar pitted, and eventually wiped out whilst being turned into Poxwalkers is one of my weirder 40K moments (along with the patriarch becoming a Poxwalker). Luckily I have a lot of cultists, and with the Dead Walk Again it usually means I have a lot more Poxwalkers pretty quickly as well (Dead Walk Again stratagem, what do dead cultists make...poxwalkers). You know it is mad when you start with two squads of 20, end the game with one at 48 and the other at 32, when over 40 have been killed and there are still cultists alive.

However folks are getting wise to that thus these two other groups, lots of plague marines, and lots of terminator equipped models.

Whilst in the attic I found two very battered and part stripped rhinos (the old Minotaurs one and their old FW vindicator), some original plastic 1st generation rhino bits (front hull stuff mostly), and a very battered landraider with FW MKIIB conversion that I was going to re-purpose for HH Ultramarines but now I am thinking it'll do for DG.

However, infantry first.

Edited by Marius Perdo

An ongoing example of what I mean regards swapping in boxed sets chests into the 1st strike models. The different coloured plastics should help make it clear.

gallery_27755_12410_29135.jpg

The guy with the plasma gun is just to show what a flat chest looks like, I'll need to open my second box to get a non-PC spare. It may not be as simple as just gluing the opposite alternate chest to the second set of boxed set bodies as the "bloat-bellies" work well with two one-handed things, but if the item is two-handed it'll probably need a "flat-chest".

Or in other words a bit of planning before gluing.

A tip I have for saving green stuff when building the new neck area to seat heads into. All the little bits of cut off plastic we all generate when cutting things up can be dropped into their barrel like bodies with some glue in layers (I use Revell) and it fills them up to the neck/shoulders. All it takes is a wee bit of green stuff then to create the shallow dome for the head/neck joint.

I also tested out the spare blister pack PC bare head in the LoC/terminator sorcerer conversion. It seems to work.

gallery_27755_12410_159360.jpg

Right, off to finish some part done models and then plan the last few missing one for the first three "gun" squads.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Man you are a monster at churning stuff out. Really liking the conversions you have going on between tue forst strike and new plague sets. Brilliamt way to make unique figures and i am really happy to hear how many spare parts gw give in the new plague marine sets :-)

i am interested to see what you do with the pand raider you found. Lots of nurglfication i hope :-D

Its als good to hear about the 'dead will walk again' stratagem and how well ots working out lol

@Sagentus: Thanks mate. The vehicles will be a while off as I know I'll just get distracted.

The shooting units are starting to take shape. I have tried not to duplicate helm and backpack styles in each squad. I have also spread the DI and PB stock guys throughout the squads.

Some still tac'd whilst I make my mind up on shoulder pads, backpacks and heads.

Squad 1:

gallery_27755_12410_8521.jpg

I decided to go with a plaguesword instead, and I may add a worm tongue to differentiate the PCs head.

Squad 2:

gallery_27755_12410_208952.jpg

The guy with no arms will get a plasma gun from the second boxed set.

I have plenty of spare banner poles from Chaos Warriors as a start to replace toothpicks.

Squad 3:

gallery_27755_12410_146050.jpg

The least done. The seventh guy will be the one pulling a grenade from the box. The body/legs I have selected from the box has a plague knife on his greaves, and I'll use the blister PC backpack with a boltgun attached.

PC PG Backpacks

gallery_27755_12410_33748.jpg

I decided not to fart about with changing nozzles, and just moved the guns to alternate backpacks.

I'll finish these off roughly before moving on to the melee units.

When all are done I'll take a final pass adding plague knives, bells, tentacles etc when I have my full bits pool to select from. I think I will use the Glottkins banner and a spare LoC symbol as my last two Icons of Despair.

Whilst reading the background on sorcerers it became apparent that Malignant Plaguecasters are a sect of sorcerers.

As such I will have a play with mine to try and make a Slopmaw Maggotmancer, a Cadaverous Faminebringer, and a Wormtongue Rotmage (one of my own sects using Grimes as a start). I'll probably filch a bit of Typhus flies for "spell" effects for those.

I have quite a few ideas to theme them.

I am absolutely loving these models.

Edited by Marius Perdo