Tried a little bit of white spirit to unbind the powders, but it was a wee bit harsh and started slowly removing yellow (but rust streaked over anyway).

Swapped to MIG Thinners for Washes, lightly streaking with a tank brush that was barely wet and it went better.

gallery_27755_12410_30091.jpg

Next I'll let dry, blend a bit more, maybe pick some small bits out in Bronze and Bright Brass, ponder what transfers to add/can be added (ident numbers mostly).

Then seal with Klear and when the shell hardens mix a very dilute oil wash. Streak that up a bit, maybe some bright rust patches, water streaking effects, and then varnish and done.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Sagentus: Ta. However...

gallery_27755_12410_165466.jpg

The rust is wrong, Doing some research on rusted crates something that rusted should have some of the darker, blacker type rust (as stated earlier I didn't start dark enough). I am also finding compared to the mustard colour it doesn't contrast enough. It is almost looking too desert/Tallarn, for which it would be fine in conrext, but not in a hive.

I also feel I have too much rust in places, and not enough patched paint. I didn't sponge on enough latex so I don't have enough patchiness.

Also when teasting out the weathering powders with thinners I went to far and the mustard is now too brown.

So I will blend in some aged rust with darker tones into existing rust, by mixing it with a little varnish and thinners.

Once I am happy with that I'll latex protect the brass entry keypads and the transfers by brush.

Then I'll sponge on more latex, more than last time.

Then I'll spray it a lighter industrial shade, Dheneb Stone should give a nice drab cream.

Then I'll rub off the latex, and more gently tease out some rust powders.

Then seal with Klear and oil wash.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Wolf_Priest_Dantay: Sort of. I am avoiding using hairspray styles, but end result is similar I guess. The rust effect product he seems to use looks like when I did hairspray ages ago. I am also going for hard wearing as a lot of modelling techniques, whilst utterly fascinating, don't seem to be for handling and using and more for display.

Well, I changed my mind. Rather than get hung up on having too much rust and not enough chipped paint I have just gone full rust. Klear through the airbrush worked a treat as a seal, just waiting for the oil wash to cure a bit and then I'll streak darker rust patterns on, lift rust off with thinners, and rain/dust effects from MIG, and verdigris the brass panels, and generally blend things in.

Patience at this point so having a few models ready at finishing stages makes sense.

It does look much better in real life under natural light.

Oh, and I am basically content this will work so I will be cracking on with building and painting sector mechanicus stuff, and my sector imperialis board.

gallery_27755_12410_59383.jpg

So, next I am going to ding up and and apply physical rust to the other two containers (base built at the moment) and do them better due to lessons learned. One pale blue paint (I'll use and old Ice Blue) and the other industrial cream (Dheneb Stone).

I am also going to finish building the Ferratonic Furnance as a septic tank. I need to find my thickest plasti-card for the water "pool" and use some spare sprue to build supports struts for underneath it (for when modles get knocked off into it).

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Wolf_Priest_Dantay: Yep. Took me ages to find. It is called "The improved forumla Klear is now...Pledge Multi-Surface Wax". Very long winded title. Worked as it always did, great for creating a smooth surface for decals, sealing prior to oil washing, dries very quick, fine to use neat through the airbrush (didn't need diluting). It still has a slight shine though (it is a wax substitute afterall), you can't use it as a matt effect varnish or final coat. Great for techniques getting there though. Got it at a local hardware store for £4.59 750ml. Bought two so that should last me ages.

Just a quick Google and I found this place http://www.fhstores.co.uk/shop/klear-(pledge-multi-surface-wax)-750ml/c-23/p-98746

Edited by Marius Perdo

So whilst it was curing (The Box) I pondered some things I had learnt and what I was actually doing.

It occurs to me that painting any of the terrain models that are going to be rusty and patchy can be done even quicker.

Undercoat/rust coat at the same time. Use the airbrush to coat the model with something like Scorched Brown or Armour Brown, then patch on small bursts and zenithal highlights with think like Dark Flesh, Terracotta, Mahogany Brown.

This should gibe a drab rusty undercoat. It will also use a lot of my older paint range stuff before it finally dries out as it will all need to be mixed with airbrush medium.

Then sponge on latex as before, ensuring enough to really push the paint patchiness.

Then a unifying industrial coat of paint. Then rub off using white tack for patchiness.

Then apply transfers and any vinyl mask and hairspray/sand numbers/symbols, and also paint any other larger detail parts (think brass mechanicum plate and the odd pipe).

Then seal with Klear, and then apply whatever oil wash(es) takes my fancy.

Then apply weathering powders, like various rust on the brown paints, verdigris to brass, rust streaks over paint, condensation/rain streaks etc. General blending.

Then matte varnish to seal for use.

I also want to build some stuff non-standard (like the Gang War book image) but I also want some ability to flex and adapt.

So, I started on the sump tank from Ferratonic Furnance inspired by Gang War.

I measured the diameter of what would be the water surface and marked it out on card with a compass.

gallery_27755_12410_67647.jpg

Then I cut the card and tested the fit, trimming to fit to get a template. The top deck, ladders, and barriers are glued to each other but not the stack.

gallery_27755_12410_12853.jpg

I then used that over some thick plasti-card (so thick it doesn't need support struts when glued in) as a template, cut it out and glued it in. The top deck is still not attached.

gallery_27755_12410_89917.jpg

I then built a few more things, glued, in the style of Gang War board. Note the top deck is still not glued on the sump tank.

gallery_27755_12410_16458.jpg

It is not glued because with a few magnets I'll be able to take the deck off and do things like this:

gallery_27755_12410_47019.jpg

This means I have a bit of flex and adaptability, and I can de-Nercomunda things a bit for 40k. I am not going to go mad with magnets. Just to enable a bit of variety whilst still having structural stability. Think of roboust glued sub-assemblies so big they can function as individual bits, that can then me combined to make very massive things if I want to.

For example with the refinery I have ordered I'll get another furnace and alchomite stack (amongst other things). On that one I won't glue it to the top of the furnace, but on that one I will add a few magnets to both.

Then I could have a two decked structure, with the sump without deck at the bottom, then new one lined up on deck one, and the one with the stack glued on up top on deck two. Or not and have them scattered. Or put the stack on top of the sump. Or add plasti-card to the other funrace for the other kind of sump.

However now I need to think about a framework with levels, so I have done a tally of my decking bits and support struts and I'll use Gang War again to build a triple decker (probably each deck/level glued, stack with magnets). I'll use some graph paper to plan.

Also I have a lot of promethium pipes (4 sets). I am also not hugely taken some of the approaches in Gang War towards ground level terrain with a roof. Luckily I have about two Manufactorum ruins sets un-built so I reckon I can build a one level with roof building, so sort of sub-station or relay station with a flat roof using ruin floor tiles.

So I really must finish of tidying up the office, compact models and pack them away, get them up in the attic for larger level sorting and packing, and then bring down the some pipes (one set un-built) and manufactorum ruins.

Note one of the last things I will do on all of these, probably en-masse in a production line, is add clipping and mold tool dinging and damage, and then back around to add the sand/tac mix for pitted rusting. It did work really, really well on the crate.

My cunning plan is if a get all this built and painted I will want to do armies and I will have a completed Necromunda/WH40K board that looks so good plain plastic models on it will look crap (in the same way a beautifully painted army looks wrong on a badly painted board with rushed terrain made out of the oddest stuff sprayed grey).

Edited by Marius Perdo

Well I did some serious attic sorting and whilst still loads to do i found all sorts of bits.

gallery_27755_12410_119289.jpg

Basically some train stuff. The track risers on the left I will use to make a scaffolding staircase with probably three landings. I'll use textured industrial floor panel plasti-card as stair slats. However I'll need "normal" sector mechanicis stuff built for scaling and height.

The manufactorum stuff is to show 3 ruins "Cities of Death/Imperial Sector" sections are as wide as two old necromunda bulkheads. Lovely.

Again this means I can build single storey building with flat rooves for stuff to go on.

Such as the old Battle For Macragge force field generators as a power substation.

Or the model train fuel things as some sort of roof septic tank.

Or a "tower" of Necromunda barricades using the old movement tray as flooring to make a sort of winch tower to pull stuff up to each level.

The turn-style thing can have the arms used, along with some signal stuff, to make a swing arm crane (with lots of cross strut stuff for people to stand on and fall off to plummet to their doom).

The promethium pipes showing are my fourths set (the other three are built), so if anything needs cutting up and fixing permanently it'll be those.

Not sure what I'll do with the old Forgeworld fuel tank.

Anyway the point is I can do lots of other complimentary stuff for the board that being sort of kit-bashed will add some variety and uniqueness.

So, after I have sketched some ideas down I'll start building the main central three tier gantries and walkways (as a reference for other stuff, like the stairs). Having pondered I will magnetise for stacking so in non-Necromunda games they can be separate as single tiers.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Sagentus: Not busy enough, still loads to do but at least everything that needs to be sorted up there is. I can't do it at great times as it is a drop ladder which is very noisy and would wake my daughter up. Getting there though, promise :wink:

Well, I have built a copy of part of the Gang War board, which would be a sort of Galvanic Magnavent. I am enjoying trying to work out what FW/GW did from blurry pictures, like some sort of mad plastic archaeology.

gallery_27755_12410_100916.jpg

Note the stack on the deck is odd, clearly some pipe must go on underneath and I think it attaches to the top of a small Alchomite Stack part but they had the new plasma conduits. I have had a look at those and I think I have worked out what they did. When mine arrive I'll give it a try.

In the background you can just see the start of the large circy-octagular deck for the main central bit.

I have noted that no combination of manufactorum ruins sections, or necroumnda bulkheads, or a mix of the two, equals the deck heights. This is fine, it means single story can be leapt down onto from decking and two storey can leap down and across onto the decking. It will add sub roof levels between the main sector mechanicus deck levels and no doubt lead to amusing falls and crunching noises.

The exit pipe on the Gang War alchomite stack thing I did earlier does mean a two section high manufactorum does equal that things pipe adapter.

More 3D is never going to be bad.

Edited by Marius Perdo

I guess I should change the thread title until I get all this scenery built and painted.

The news easy fit Death Guard stuff does look intriguing.

However, I will get Necromunda just in time for my birthday, and have ordered a few more scenery sets as having built/test fitted a lot of this stuff I have noted quite a few things.

gallery_27755_12410_104399.jpg

• The Sector Imperialis board (that I have had for ages) looks great, works great with Sector Imperialis/Cities of Death ruins, but is massively irregular as a surface and just makes Sector Mechanicus and promethium pipelines very, very wobbly.
  • The little quirks seen on the leaked Gang War scenery makes building them interesting and different but you do need a lot of spare bits to do it (which means more kits).
  • None of the kits lend themselves well to making enough raised walkways, even if you have enough floor sections (and you probably will) there are nowhere near enough struts/legs (should have been six and not four per sprue, or two sprues, or sell them separately at a reasonable price even if just for the Necromunda launch).
  • If you want a walkway that can cross the road without the struts being in the gutter, it'll need to be 3 sections long; it can also have pipes put on top of it and at the sides (which should work well with the thermic plasma conduits but less so with promethium relay pipes) - NB I just did this out of a 40K curiosity point of view.
  • If you want pipes leading out of cardinal points in a central structure at ground level remember to use wide stance struts at those points for walkway sections or the pipes won't fit between them.
  • Promethium relay pipes can't easily be cut up so probably best to use the new thermic plasma conduits for above ground level (for more adaptable and flexible combinations).
  • Due to the uneven surface any promethium relay pipes are probably best glued into sub-sections of three of so parts in arrangements that when combined work well for sector mechanics/Necromunda (they'll easily just work for normal 40K).
  • Due to the octagonal shape of central structures it is possible to have pipes coming out at 45 degrees compared to all the others; using burst pipe ends to emulate where Y sections used to be might help to create the illusion of an integrated pipe relay.
  • This section still needs another kit to raise the central part up to a second level minimum, and it has the better part of 3 promethium relay sets on it already - however much sector mechanics stuff you bought when trying to build a Gang War board (which must be more 3D and have line of sight and level leaping built in) you will find an excuse to need more :smile.:

As an aside I am building a two level structure using manufactorum ruins solid sections, ground floor 4x4, upper floor 4x3 (28 whole sections, so that is 3 manufactorum kits, un-ruined buildings are ouch time on parts), so it has a balcony and roof (and ladders up to both), and the roof will bridge across via a promethium relay pipe T pipe section, and have relay stuff on top of it disappearing into it (linking to a pipe tower opposite inside old Necromunda builk heads) that also links into a galvanic stack via the center of the T in the relay pipe - a meeting between the very old, the old, the newer, and the new (but not the newest) kits.

However, not enough parts, so ordered some more manufactorums.

The older scenery has floors/roofs at differing levels which creates more 3D and leaping about shenanigans.

So as it isn't Saturday yet I guess I'll start doing promethium relay pipe sub-assemblies so they have stability in a group that single sections just don't have on the sector imperialis board.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Some testing on a pipe tower to take a T shaped promethium relay across from the tower roof, whilst feeding into a sector mechanicus thing (in the bacground), whilst going across an "alley" onto a roof opposite (the two floor power station/pump station I will build from three manufactorum kits).

gallery_27755_12410_56797.jpg

I have industrial flooring, I just need to make it wide enough so on the roof a 32mm can fit on either side without being precarious placement.

When I want it stand alone I'll just sit the down pipe and burst pipe on the roof as shown.

@Sagentus: Ta. Well, when everything turns up, especially with my various ruins and shrines I should be able to cover 8' x 4' (by adding some Realms of Battle tiles to the Sector Imperialis); from a Necromunda point of view I should be able to cover 4' x 4' to that density.

However, a bit like my Death Guard I can't help but fiddle, kit-bash, and convert.

So, the linking pipe tower so far....

gallery_27755_12410_47250.jpg

Basically using old Necromunda bulk heads as a base with some model railway stuff, old ruins bits, and the pipes (the point of the model as will be seen later). And some spare sector mechanicus stuff. I may add lights, and I have lots of Grandt Line rivets and hex bolts to add.

Nice open gantries giving fields of fire and cover, with a roof high enough to leap down onto a sector mechanicus walkway. Lots to do still, but I am happy with my STC approach to re-using 20 year old plus mint bulkheads to make different types of stack towers. A tall winch springs to mind like Merlin's, and a very tall swing arm crane (or I'll just put a galvanic servo hauler on top).

The main thing was using sturdy cross struts to keep it rigid. The end poles from the ruins kits are ideal for this.

I was also eyeing my un-built void-shield generator and some other bits thinking I'll never use it as is, for what it is supposed to be, but mashed up with stuff it could become something very interesting. Given what I am going to do to my haemotrope reactors it is inevitable really.

Changed subject line due to current focus. When terrain is built I'll got back to the gribbly ones with an occasional Deathwatch (when I have moved).

Edited by Marius Perdo

Awesome work here, count me inspired :thumbsup:

i feel like your container is so damn rusty that it's going to fall apart if a ganger leans on it to heavily :laugh.: ( that was a compliment BTW)

sump tank idea sooo stolen :ph34r.: 

i really do look forward to seeing paint on this set of terrain!!

cheers,Mithril 

@mithrilforge: Thanks mate. I have a painting technique now at least, that I have streamlined, so when everything is done it'll get the talc/beach sand rust patch treatment in places and then everything (including boards) can be sprayed brown. The sump tank is stolen straight from the Gang War table, all I am going to do is putting small magnets in the top decks and various ferratonic furnances rims so they have a bit of variation in assembly.

I really am enjoying myself, and at the back of my mind is how useful all this will be for 40K and Necromunda, and how I will really, really, finally, want an army painted.

So today is finishing off the pipe tower and really making sure the height for the pipes matches the main stack exactly.

Then I will build another two. One high enough to go above two sector mechanicus walkways (so 4 old Necromunda bulk heads tall, 8 total), and then maybe one 5 tall (10 total) for the galvanic servo-hauler crane), and then maybe a very, very tall one for a swing arm crane made out of the train bits. Actually I need to count how many bulkheads I have and then have a serious think about stability issue and being top heavy so they don't topple when they get really tall. For the very tall one I may need to do a 3x3 (9) manufactorum ruins building as a "base" and stack a central tower up from there.

It is getting odd when real physics issues need to be considered for pretend buildings :)

Today was mostly getting soaked walking the dogs, dealing with a vomiting mother and child, and getting asked to do an interview tomorrow (and a totally un-related assessment center next week, and two other interviews next week for two other someone else's...it is like buses).

So I have decided to unwind for a bit before double checking my interview notes.

So...

Looking at WD battle report images at WC more images of the Gang War board have appeared. My octagular thing wasn't long enough so I sorted that. I also changed some things that I don't agree with (pipes going nowhere that come out at 45 degrees, chimneys out of decking with the same lack of purpose as there is nothing underneath).

I did start building a sort of gantry thing they have, with lots of winches on it. Lesson learnt is get your 2 x 1s on the same axis for attachment holes for ladders etc otherwise it is drill time making new ones.

After doing everything I was surprised to find I only have two 1x1 sections, 1 strut, and one half of the small octagon floor left over (although I should probably magnetise that for covering over the sump tank to make it a ferratonic furnace for 40K), and quite a few ladders. So I really need the other kits to arrive. However...

gallery_27755_12410_162971.jpg

A collective to show relative heights.

If I do a 4 bulkhead high winch tower you can see how high it will be using the old bulkheads.

And if I do a 6 high with a crane on top, to be above 3 tiers of sector mechanicus stuff you can see how tall that will be (very springs to mind).

As for the pipe tower you can now see how the T promethium relay attaches into the tower itself, the stack, and can imagine how it will go across onto the roof of a 2 storey building made from manufactorum sections with pipes on the roof descending into the building (and coming out of it at ground level).

The sector mechanicus pipe rising straight up needs me to cut all that grill work off on top so it sits flush with the promethium relay pipes down pipe, and i may cut it at the bottom and turn it 90 degrees so all the dials are facing the platform inside and the side pipes etc block sight into it a wee bit more.

So I'll try and finish a bit more off on it because at 21:00 or so it is back to making notes on a job spec and why I am a fit. I doubt saying I like re-using old kits by meshing them with new has the correct spin :)

the right one with the containers underneath (again stolen..:ph34r.: ) thats my Fav one so far ...the rest are still awesome though,don't get me wrong, i just think that one is very "playable" from the looks of it.

thoughts to the mother and wee one :sad.: , never a good thing. 

keep up the great work.

Cheers Mithril

@mithrilforge@ Again, stolen by me (FW Gang War board).

Watching Twitch TV Warhammer TV (use my Amazon Prime for "free" subscription) they did a setting up the Gang War board which I will watch properly today. However, that part you like "has" to have even more on it on a long axis, a 2x1, leading on to linking with walkways.

So, I got a message from my supplier of plastic crack that GW had not got the Underhive delivery to them in time yesterday to make last nights shipping. That actually dispatched today so I might get it tomorrow.

I got the following this morning.

gallery_27755_12410_184203.jpg

Yay! New kits...oooh.

However, I missed the other delivery whilst on a telephone interview. Fortunately I just think it was the new Necromunda bases boxes (25mm/32mm, I want them for Deathwatch and Genestealer Cult models to fit in with this board).

Other factors are it is my birthday tomorrow and my daughters on Tuesday, so I need to prepare cookery stuff for people coming around tomorrow, the interview went disturbingly well which means I could be starting contracting away a week on Monday (might find out this afternoon, otherwise Monday) which means just as all these wonderful toys turn up I'll be all Gandalf with no time again.

However, if I am successful I will be further south than Nottingham which means I might be able to blag a stay over in Nottingham on the way home to "up North" and go mad at Warhammer World.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Looking at the sort of repackaged Promethium Refinery kit they only have one strut sprue in (4 struts) so making walkways is still going to be a stretch.

There are also no straight walkway sprues in there either, so no 1x1 or 2x1 (that sprue has two of each), which makes making straight linking walkways impossible.

GW really, really need to do strut packs and walkway packs to link all the kits up for Necromunda. I'll be able to make lots of platform buildings, I just can't link them up.

It means for now I will need to disassemble the winch gantry one to make a 3x1 walkway, a 2x1 walkway, and free up a 2x1 to add to the big octa-thing mithrilforge likes.

Not terribly impressed.

Edited by Marius Perdo

So....

gallery_27755_12410_581276.jpg

The picture on the left is the gantry winch thing I had to take apart for the 2x1 and 1x1 sections.

The middle is showing how if you want pipes to flow always remember to place wide leg struts sensibly to faciitate this.

The red dot shows where GW pointlessly put a strut. With the two supporting the T part on the back of the octagon you don't need it, it creates a wide open space (I won't start singing) in there for pipes/furnances/magnavents, and it frees up a strut (given how few you get).

The right shows the red dot again, showing where NOT to put a strut in my opinion, and create an open and interesting space for other things, and save a strut.

Edited by Marius Perdo

So birthday today which I mostly spent making food for my daugthers birthday party.

What I bought myself turned up, and what my little brother got me turned up as well.

Guess which is which :smile.:

gallery_27755_12410_102685.jpg

As an aside I have been off sugar for months and lost 3.5 stone, so of course the box the model came in was full of sugary sweets. Also note the ME109 has a skill required rank of 1 out of 4...I think I'll paint it well just to prove a point now :smile.:

Right, off to read Necromunda and Gang War...who am I kidding after a house full of 2 to 5 year olds I need to sleep. In bed before 21:00 on my birthday, I used to be going out at that time and getting in at 12:00 the following day after an all nighter - what the hell happened?! :smile.:

Edited by Marius Perdo

Well, bimbled a bit. I have so many non-straight floor sections left (7 small half octs, two large oct-quarters). I need struts and straight linking sprues, I really hope GW release them individually like the Dreadhold wall sections.

gallery_27755_12410_19027.jpg

Desk is getting a bit cluttered now.

Reading Gang War has helped. Having Sector Mechanicus levels at 5"/10"/15" etc, mixed with old Necromunda bulkheads at 2.75" iterations, and manufactorum ruin sections at 3 and a bit" iterations means slower gangers i.e. Goliaths, might be able to clamber up some things without being forced to double move action all the time.

It certainly means making them some stairs makes sense.

Interesting to see the Thermic Plasma Regulators are short enough to fit under sector mechanicus walkways, and have ladders built in so they are a less tall way to climb up to a floor, and then possibly pull up over a walkway edge to a sector mechanicus walkway.

Next up will be a standard Alchomite Stack, and floater magnavent to fit under decking. Not sure what to do with the other stack. I'll do another furnace as a sump tank that can also be a furnace, and the other one can be mashed with two haemotropes into a giant reactor.

Still need to build my last promethium relay pipes, and then try out the new thermic plasma ones. Then when the manufactorums turn up I can do the pump station to interface with the pipe tower and magnavent tower (and lots of ground level pipes).

Also still pondering the cranes and other old bulkheads (possibly use them with all these spare sector mechanicus floors),

Strange, I have no urge to build my gang at all until I have enough scenery finished.

Edited by Marius Perdo