Whilst I appreciate that GW put the kit out and gave us more Terminator options, I can't help but be disappointed how everything is just kind of molded together. Using spare Blightlord arms is impossible without major modification, and come to find out the Blightlord heads are too large (I tried). I feel your pain on the soft details too...

@DuskRaider: So your plastic is poor quality too? Well at least the blight-haulers are cool. And I think I'll be happier converting Felthius into a sorcerer. Converting the other two blight-haulers is going to be interesting.

As an aside, whilst farting about with SM industrial terrain is fun, as is doing Goliath's, the instant I started doing some Death Guard again felt like coming home. I am coughing already and my sinuses ache (although that was probably walking the dogs in freezing damp cold mist fog).

• 1 month later...

As I am about to move and start a new job and all those disruptive things one last update for a bit.

The Necromunda project sort of lost impetus as like Bloodbowl only two teams/gangs at the start made it difficult for people to get invested. With Orlocks here now, and maybe in three months when we get another gang, the club might get a Turf War going.

But as I am moving maybe not :) Not too far, occasional visits will be possible, but certainly not within stagger home drunk range.

As for Death Guard the great tar pit that is cultists and pox walkers was just too sticky to walk through (build) without getting demotivated. Also whilst great in games that many models made things so very slow for both myself and my opponent, and boring people to death doesn't sit well with my rambling flamboyance.

For a change I persuaded some of the guys to try AoS Skirmish in an afternoon (one just used his daemons from his Death Guard), and they loved it. So I have been doing a wee bit of AoS for a change.

This does tangentally link to my Death Guard. The whole fusing cheap starter box models with other bits, especially from equivalent multi-part box sets, and judicious use of a razorsaw, was something I did with Stormcast first when AoS came out. Then later on trying to polish the turd that was old Slave to Darkness chaos knights by using blood warrior bits, and then going chaos conversion crazy for an AoSSK warband I never finished.

So, having seen how many stormcast I built (whilst doing finally packing for the move a few weeks ago) and actually having got their base bronze/brass paint on, but looking at them with fresh eyes (especially their lack of scenic bases), I have been mostly bimbling with the golden boys and playing AC/DC Thunderstruck on loop.

Although looking at all that gold does make me think about Custodes...

I'll most likely re-appear in 6 months with either a lot of painted Death Guard or another crackpot project.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. What a treat, this thread is. DuskRaider pointed me to it, and I've been through it in the last half hour. I'm in love with that Necromunda terrain and your Death Guard conversions are inspired. Subbed!

I'm in agreement. The conversions and terrain are frigging awesome. Plus, the Iron Hand you made for BCK's conversion challenge, as well as the "Upgraded" Possessed are amazing and quite inspiring. In fact, your Iron Hand formed a very big reference for my Warpsmith kitbash.

• 1 month later...

@Augustus b'Raass/Gederas/Shovellovin: Thanks guys, glad you like my flitting about. I am quite surprised to have anyone notice given I have been away for three months - a pleasant surprise.

Well, I have moved home, I have internet again, and I have just finished sorting out the garage - wherein now dwell my models apart from those brought inside.

I have my shelving and white board to put up in my office but also a brain on fire with ideas due to venator gangs and Gang War III. My box of Eschers, Orlocks, and Van Saar have arrived (to build hired guns and House Legacy Hunters), along with the FW Goliath upgrade kits and the new hired guns (to go with the other ones from FW). I have dug out my 50 odd Goliaths and chaos and genestealer cultists, as well as some old bits - like second edition space marine hand flamers, bolt pistols, power axes, and bolt guns, so I have all the fodder I need for converting.

Also Deathwatch is out this weekend, and I will now find a use for all those Primaris from Dark Millenium (I really enjoyed making the Ultramarines Deathwatch Terminator earlier on).

Both Necromunda and Deathwatch appeal at the moment as each model can be quite unique which will suit the fact I don't have a lot of time and also I am not playing as I have moved an the club I was at lost it's venue anyway.

Thus there is no actual impetus or need to get a unit finished to play with, I can just fart about with what I feel like.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Which Sector Mechanicus box is the best value for money in your opinion Marius? I have the terrain that came with the Shadow War Armageddon box and fancy getting something else to mix in with some MDF terrain (to keep the costs down a little bit). Anything you would recommend? Going to try make a Necromunda board this year!

@Reyner: I found they all have too few walkways for Necroumunda, which you need to link things together. Looking at the current kits probably a Galvanic Magnavent and a Ferratonic Incinerator x2 (probably my favourite one), with the Alchomite Stacks, should give two tall robust structures with towers/chimneys, with enough walkways (octagonal) to surround and to link them - that is £145 though (look for an online place - you can get 25% off). What I did was not exactly cheap.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Office still isn't sorted, can't find my greenstuff (in the garage somewhere), but when looking at DV chaos cultists before I moved (due to the gang in White Dwarf) I noted I had a lot of leaders spare. They are also larger and fit in more (the other cultists are a bit wee). I thought the trench coat one might do as a former Delaque.

With House Legacy for Hunters in Venator gangs that is entirely doable (though no whisper knives as yet) but with up to five Hive Scum being usable I thought I'd do a few of those first.

gallery_27755_12410_177922.jpg

So with an autogun, fighting knife, and stub gun a cheap Hive Scum at 65 creds. If I wanted him to be a Bounty Hunter I could make the goggles photo-googles, think about armoured coat, have the pistol an expensive surprise in a holster etc.

I need to do pins to create a frame to greenstuff the coat arms onto, and pin his head in to build up a bare neck after I am happy with positioning. I'll remove some of the chaos star scar from his bare chest but leave some to show the risks of having no armour.

I'll do another using the robed and mask cult leader as a base, as a sort of Redemptionist/Cawdor type. As a hired gun though I need to check if they can take equipment that is not Common. If so then he can have a chainsword and a cheap pistol. A flail might fit (from flagellants or marauders) too.

I am also going to add a acolytes heavy rock saw to a Goliath with a blight king helmet (sort of hockey mask) because I have been meaning to (see earlier pics) for ages and now they can buy them at the Trading post (as well as heavy rock cutters).

I haven't opened my Orlocks or Van Saar as yet but I am sure they will be full of inspiring bits.

Edited by Marius Perdo

The hybrids box has extra chests, which I noted when sorting out what bits might be spare from my genestealer cult army.

So I added one of those, to a spare Overkill autogun (shotgun looked too short), and put them on the big DV cultist "heavy" legs (one was loose in my Necromunda bits box for some reason) and then I used a mean, broken toothed, sunken eyed, scarred and bald flagellant head. Same holstered pistol and knife as the other one round back (Catachan command). I might try Orlock arms though...

A down on his luck worker who has lost his environment suit pants in a bet, or they got stolen when he was otherwise engaged. Same equipment and cost as the other one.

gallery_27755_12410_73864.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

So the great coat chaos cultist champion could be thought to be wearing a duster. I have opened my Orlocks now and yes, lovely bits.

So going with a cowboy theme I used paired stub gun hands and an Orlock head. I might swap the pistols out for paired las pistols (from Catachan command) or auto pistols from acolytes from Overkill but I quite like how they look. I need to add holsters for that gun-slinging feel, if I recall the plastic Khorne berserkers have tiny ones that should do (as there was no way a bolt pistol would fit in one).

gallery_27755_12410_119322.jpg

Group shot with two Goliath's with a flamer and heavy stubber knicked from DV chaos cultists that i started ages ago, mainly to remind myself how big Goliaths are. Even with the new weapon pack I still quite like them.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Major_Gilbear: Early days but it was an itch I had to scratch :smile.: Not happy with the gunslinger, I'll replace with paired autopistols and try and find a better head.

I have written to FW just to make sure if Hive Scum can take weapons Rarer than Common. I want them to have things Goliaths can't have at the start - like autoguns and autopistols.

If they can I'll do one with a plasma pistol that is always set to maximal, and a Redemptionist with a Chainaxe.

However I haven't finished some Goliath stuff so I'll do that today and also play with the FW resin weapon upgrades - I fancy trying to re-create some of the classic metal models in plastic (I have 35 odd un-built Goliaths).

Also checked out Doghouse's http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/342026-necromunda-painting-campaign-turf-war/ which should keep me inspired.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Swapped the gunslingers Orlock stub guns for chaos cultist autopistols, a Van Saar head, and kroot shoulder armour. Much happier.

Also tried the kroot armour out on pantless. Again happier, as makes the arms look less like a hybrids - I am trying to vary things as much as possible so they look unique.

Whilst fiddling I noted some of the old chaos marauder shoulder pads work very well on Goliaths, which is good for variety and frees up their shoulder plates for other ideas or the bits box.

gallery_27755_12410_190403.jpg

As an aside I opened the Goliath FW weapon packs.

gallery_27755_12410_208413.jpg

Very pleased, not too much flash, hardly any will need heat bending, and all quite robust and beefy. I was a bit concerned about the Tigris pattern bolt weapons but they are actually a bit wider and chunkier so they should work.

As some of you may know I use the blister packs clam pack for casting, but I also use the flat part as a mixing palette - waste not, want not.

Right, off to look at the updated House Goliath armoury in Gang War III and ponder who to give what to.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Sagentus: Ta, lots of ideas.

The next works if you go back to posts 391, 392, & 393.

I work shifts (IT Command Centre), this means nothing for days on end but I did download the Deathwatch Codex when it came out and read it on the train.

Love the idea of Primaris mixed Intercessor squads as well, that'll be a use for my stuff left over from getting Death Guard and various easy fit kits.

I noted that Watch Captains in Terminator Armour could have terminator close combat weapons from the wargear list that included the powerfist/meltagun combo I used before from Overkill, and I don't actually like the Salamander model itself (so I have two and the previous model still exists un-violated). And then I took the combi-melta from the plastic librarian (so special ammo too), plastic Deathwing arm to hold in a pointing position, a random Deathwing sergeant head (place filler), and a resin shoulder pad (placefiller), and the Deathwatch Inquisition symbol with Gravis Captain halo on top, and put them on the plastic termie captain (I have 3).

gallery_27755_12410_34868.jpg

Very quick, not made my mind up on source chapter (for the pad), nor head. Made up in my head on a train, thrown together with blu-tac in 10 minutes but I quite like him. I'll razorsaw the rubble off his feet and have him stand on industrial waste (the bits in the ETB Aggressors should do nicely after naughty casting) to fit with the Sector Mechanicus base.

I think I might dig out a Carab Culln FW shoulderpad from the termie model and make him a Red Scorpion, there is something very standard Imperial ornate to the model but I don't want him to be another Ultramarine.

Any ideas on that?

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Reyner: Thanks mate. Red Scorpion it is. I quite like the head now, but the Iron halo will need some work. The besagew (the shield) will be fiddly, it'll need cutting and moving. One on the other side should be good too.

The scum are fun, I have been fiddling with another, the GSCs are helpful with that.

Did a stock stake so to speak, and with a vast amount of generic space marine bits, and various starter and ETB Primaris I will try and build:

3-4 mixed Veteran Squads (bikes/termies/vanguards/veterans) - various mixes of gear to align to Aquilla/Furor/Venator/Purgatus/Malleus/Dominatus

2-3 Intercessors (with Inceptor/Reiver/Aggressor) - cover of the stance types that I don't do above Edit: having read the codex mixed Deathwatch Primaris squads are called Fortis - so 2-3 Fortis.

Artemis

Watch Master (ideas on making him dynamic)

Watch Captain Termie (above)

Librarians x3 (OK Blood Raven, DV DA conversion, termie)

Veteran Dreanought

Redemptor

I'll flit back and forth between Necromunda and these guys.

Edit:

Quick fart about with ETB Primaris and DW bits, seems to work, nothing special:

gallery_27755_12410_90780.jpg

Another Edit: Deathwatch terminators combi-weapon list (which is HQs only) includes a combi-grav, which is a new one on me for terminator HQs/characters, and certainly isn't available to Codex, Dark Angels, Blood Angels etc. No model exists which is exactly a reason to make one.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Having read more of the codex I am going to go back over the primaris and lightly bling them using various kits for first founding legions only - the various plastic shoulder pads from the Deathwatch squad sprue will help for this - as will Overkill (Imperial Fists, Raven Guard, White Scars, iron Hands, Salamanders etc) - as will upgrade sprues and kits. A start collecting Deathwatch from a 25% online retailer might not go amiss either - lots more shoulder pads.

I started on an Ultramarine using the upgrade sprue and Dark Millenium Intercessor to get a feel for it - dead simple but just a first pass - more UM bling later.

gallery_27755_12410_84963.jpg

I intend to add Deathwatch specific Couters to all their elbows.

I have ordered lots of cheap Primaris bits from a bits shop that had a sale on - the carbines for the Reivers that I can then attach to ETB ones for example, and captain heads with bionic eyes for Iron Hands etc.

Note I pondered using normal marine heads but the primaris are notably larger thus me getting heads from multi-part kits from a bits shop. The heads will help add character, which is part of the main reasons for doing this - compared to Deathwatch veterans the Deathwatch primaris could be a little bit bland. It also makes each one feel unique.

As for the normal veterans I'll keep first founding very low (probably just converted Overkill models), and everything else will be later founding personal favourites and chapters I once messed about with - Sons of Medusa, Knights of the Raven, Silver Skulls, Crimson Fists, Minotaurs etc, where I either have plastic or resin shoulder pads, or ones where I made transfer sheets (Marauders, Executioners etc.).

Not in any great rush, but as with Death Guard looking forward to jazzing up ETB and DM/KNF/FS kits - except this time they will be individuals.

NB I quite like the codex art cover with the black gun case - I might do this rather than red but have red banding on gun cases that match unit knee marking to making them looking darker.

However I am just as likely to suddenly do a Goliath or hive scum but working out what I am going to do for a combi-grav for a Deathwatch Terminator character is still amusing me.

• 2 months later...

Shifts suck, when did it become August?

Been messing with AoS Soul Wars but I swore I wasn’t going to get Kill Team and then got the digital book and then promptly got the box set and all the Kill Zones and the new buildings.

Looks custom designed for me, from a tiny Deathwatch Kill Team, Space Marines, Genestealer Cult, Death Guard, Heretic Astartes, Grey Knights, or even some Necromundan 8th “Spider”/PDF/Hive Militia using various plastic Necromunda gang models. Suddenly all sorts of old bits and bobs will get a new lease of life.

The only downside seems to be the datasheets being constrained to what is in the plastic box sets and not what they could take in WH40K I.e. Chaos Space Marines.

Going to look through my own thread and see how many models I did for what, and plan a few teams.