@Chaplain Dosjetka: D2FE with the Chaos Lord aura, over-charged plasma guns, and Prescience from a Sorcerer was evil...bye-bye Telly Tubbies and Heavy Bolter Devastators. It was also nasty on the Warp Talons, by catapulting them with Warptime as well after they Warpflame Striked in on turn one around the dropped in Jump Packed sorcerer (bye-bye Captain, Intercessors, and Thunderfire gunner and objective captured).

Paint will be soon. I am going to finish their build off tomorrow (so all glue has dried overnight), then match them as close as I can to the built scenic bases that have lumps and bumps on to stand on so they can have similar poses/stances to the Blu-tac they are currently stood on. Dry pin for separate painting. Then grey undercoat and then no excuses. I'll get to test the last part of the exercise - can I still paint to table standard with crap eyes.

The other parts of the exercise, in can I/do I want to still build and convert models, do I want to actually play, and do I like 8th edition are all complete and true.

I've been lurking in this thread for a while, but given the shout out, it seems appropriate to finally speak up:

That's some truly excellent work so far: I love seeing people getting some mileage out of those Dark Vengeance Chosen, as I myself find them tricky yet rewarding to cut up in interesting ways -- glad to have "helped" on the Havocs, by the way!

I am also really blown away by the Gal'Vorbak styled Possessed, though, as that is a totally brilliant way of using the available kits to come up with something that fits the FW look, yet I've never really seen it done that way before. Very cool! :)

Looking forward to your next update!

@Chaplain Dosjetka: Crimson Slaughter, so red and brass/bronze trim. When I do some bezerkers I'll avoid WE iconography so I can use them as Elites and have them <Legion=Crimson Slaughter> or put them with Kh Edited by Marius Perdo

• 3 weeks later...

So between family visits when the weather was suitable for spraying, and then very humid, windy or wet weather otherwise, I still haven't undercoated my Slaanesh Marked Havocs.

However as Fate of Konor was on the cards I thought I'd just keep building stuff. A mate at the club was up for playing and so I started building other stuff.

I found an old un-built defiler that I have had since it first came out in the bundled box set with the codex, a couple of un-built maulerfiends/forgefiends, and an un-built helldrake.

So after looking at the PRs in Index:Chaos I noticed I could take all of them and a warpsmith for PL51 as a Spearhead. So I ordered a warpsmith from GW (I soo hate Finecast), and gave him a combi-plasma and a modified head (love the head for Iron Hands, not so much anything else), using the three eye Nurgle one.

That, and the fiends, and the helldrake was easy (with various magnets for weapon swaps and/or ease of transport).

However, I only went with it because I reckoned the Defiler could fit on a 160mm round case (the Archaon one). I mocked it up, found it would probably fit, so I ordered the base at the same time as the warpsmith.

It looked like it would work and the base for me moved it away from that sort of nebulousness lack of boundary they had always had, and without facings in 8th I could try and make it dynamic. It also suddenly just seemed so much larger, and fit in better being based with other daemon engines.

So I cracked on.

I covered all that lack of detail in Grandt Line rivets and hex bolts, found some spare razorback turrets (for lascannons and heavy bolters as well as the reaper), used some spare maulerfiend lasher tendrils for a better looking defiler scourge, magnetised every weapon option and built a T-frame inside the model for the weapons to lock onto (heavy flamers and havoc launcher), magnetised the legs/claws, put a rod in to the thorax that attached the turret/torso to the gimball for rotation and magnetised that at a gimballed angle, added fiend tail cables being vommitted out of the demon face on the rear of the turret for an interface for the warpsmith, sonic face at the front, spikes as opposed to dozer blade, combi-flamer glued to the turret sides (magnets did not go well) as sort of co-axial weapons, magnetised head from the command sprue, magnetised the banner with a chaos knight banner top fitted (was an arse even with my tiniest magnets)...generally had fun.

It took a while, especially all the Grandt Line stuff.

I will fully scenic the base as the legs are at different heights and it is quite scuttly in posture/pose. I will then magnetise the legs to the base for ease of transport.

Basically at the start, a bit further on, and then from above. It is actually much further on than these but I am fixing some magnets with expoxy resin as superglue was too brittle for transport (as i suspected). Thus no recent pictures.

gallery_27755_12410_857013.jpg

And a quick in progress battle shot of Mission 1 Invasion.

gallery_27755_12410_17470.jpg

We couldn't be bothered with scenery as he was Fists and everything I had was too big to hide. The bastion is mine, which I also had to build for this battle as it fitted with the narrative.

I think we got to turn 3 and I was on 3-0 VP, but I hadn't lost anything, and the bastion was down to 5 wounds and all that was left alive was the 5 heavy bolter devastators in there.

The Defiler proved to be worth his salt. Sort of made the effort worthwhile, but the maulerfiend and helldrake had the most fun.

So now I have PL50+ of crappy infantry (see above), and PL50+ of daemon engines I just have to make my mind up what I want to finish off properly (after the Havocs with that hideous new Slaanesh stratagem).

Lucky the codex is out a week on Saturday.

As an aside whilst the lack of new models is, on one hand disappointing, on the other it does mean I can keep mashing and converting DV chosen without wondering whether they will be obsoleted by a new kit anytime soon.

Right, I'll bugger off for a few more weeks and potter about with stuff.

Edit: Tentacle vomitting is a bit vague, even for me. This might make it clearer (just took this):

gallery_27755_12410_317847.jpg

Also the warpsmith. I'll add spare plastic fleshmetal tubes from DV chosen out of the optic on his right, and a pointing arm/shoulder to hold the combi-plasma so he looks to be shooting and more like my favourite techmarine model.

Edited by Marius Perdo

I played again on Sunday as World Eaters/Khorne daemons using some Khorne berzerkers I threw together out of the metal champion models and some Khorne daemons I built (bloodletters and heralds). PL50 and a battalion of each (2 HQ, 3 Troops twice).

Lots of industrial terrain as the Week 2: Seek and Destroy requested - was unpainted but still looked great.

I have had a lot of ideas regards Khorne berserkers for a while, and having used some a squad is going to be built for the Crimson Slaughter. Actually three in the end for the Elites for a Brigade but I will do them symbol agnostic as the colours match for World Eaters.

I have also started fiddling with some terminator conversions, as well as looking at my possessed again (fresh eyes and all that).

However, the weather was finally suitable enough yesterday for spraying so I have coated the havocs/chosen grey. It is nice to see the parts "melded", especially the horrible staining of stripped parts covered up.

I was also surprised by how nothing looked broken or blemished,, and there was only a few mold lines that I quickly rectified and then sprayed over. Not used grey as a primer before, but I think it will work with the technique I am going to try.

gallery_27755_12410_294295.jpg

Right, off to actually paint for the first time in years.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Chaplain Dosjetka: Thanks mate, on it now.

The old Devlan Mud (I have like 10 pots) wash with a bit of X-20A thinner in to offset a slight drying out over the years revealed some of the things I hoped it would and something unexpected.

Firstly it showed up all the details wonderfully so I can now decide what bits are going to be what, for example cloth or flayed skin, or steel chain or bronze/gold bling chains.

Secondly, as I suspected, the DV chosen have so much detail that whilst they would be red as Crimson Slaughter, there is just as much brass/bronze that blasting the whole miniature with airbrush base coat would have obliterated detail that wasn't going to be red. Also I want to try doing this with wash and glazes due to the eyes thing.

I now can't decide whether to start the metal bits first with bronze paints, or the ceramite bits with various browns/reds.

Thirdly it revealed one or two mold lines I missed which I am scraping away and then I'll paint over by hand with grey and re-wash.

And lastly, and most unexpectedly, a Devlan Mud wash over grey primer goes a sort of drab olive colour. I am so remembering this for when I do my Death Guard. What a happy accident :smile.:

The reds in the shot I just found in the attic, I think I got them for an Eldar project. Luckily I have about five of each so more than enough for this, World Eaters and even some Blood Angels. I want the red reasonably bright as when I do Khorne units I want dried brown blood splatter and fresher blood (I have a lot of Tamiya clear coat red to mix with old red/brown ink) to actually show up.

I am going to try those reds out on the white paper as a colour swatch as I have never actually used them before.

gallery_27755_12410_332535.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

As can be seen in the previous post as I hadn't standardised the ratio of my Devlan Mud and X-20A (basically a thinner for acrylics to use in airbrushes) the details are varied.

So I just did another coat of neat Devlan Mud. It did turn out way too dark but I knew I could pull it back by just lightly overbrushing with a large drybush with neat X-20A on it. This actually produced an affect I am quite surprised by with shade variations and I was doing it very, very rough.

I might even be able to do streaking effects with smaller brushes and being more controlled, something I can only usually get away with using oil paint washes and turpentine on varnished vehicles.

Not bad as an accident for just two coats of Devlan Mud over a grey prime. I really must remember this for when I do Death Guard.

However, back to making them red.

gallery_27755_12410_234361.jpg

Tried out my recipe and approach for red and brass using just watered down glazing and watered down washes (given how bad my eyes are now).

A bit disappointing how awkward I found it to paint now, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I took one shoulder pad up to the brighter red for Crimson Slaughter/World Eaters but on the way I passed one that I think would work for Word Bearers with iron trim.

Still a little more I am sure even I can do but I'll bring all the ceramite plates and trim up to the same level first.

Another downside is it is dark and my office at the new house isn't very well lit, I need another desk lamp I think. The eye straining is giving me headaches.

I took one shoulder pad up to the brighter red for Crimson Slaughter/World Eaters but on the way I passed one that I think would work for Word Bearers with iron trim.

gallery_27755_12410_133541.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Sagentus: Thanks. These will be Crimson Slaughter but at least I found if I stopped at a certain point I had that deep red that would work well for any Word Bearers I do in future. I have so many old chaos marine bits knocking about I will explore that in future.

I have run them in one battle (not played much as yet) as Havocs with the four with plasma guns and the aspiring champion with a combi-plasma and Icon of Excess. With the Lord nearby they overcharged for fun and melted a centurion squad, a captain and most of a devastator squad. D2FE on 5+ with overcharged plasma guns is nasty. The extra guy is for if I use them as Chosen.

I was pondering jumping my sorceror near to them to them to use Prescience on them (for D2FE on rolls of 4), but he stuck with the Warp Talons which with Warp Time just made Warpflame Strike nasty. I expected them to stop some Intercessors, another captain, and a Thunderfire from shooting for a bit, I didn't expect to slaughter (pun intended) them. Prescience was just as nasty for them.

That is the reason why I ordered a start collecting box, I want to build another sorceror and he might as well be in terminator armour. Another multi-part hellbrute's weapon spares aren't going to hurt with converting the 7 DV hellbrutes I have either :wink:

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Sagentus: Yep, all sorts to consider now. The warp talons are great for stopping overwatch fire on other units that charge after them due to getting so close so in affect their warpflame stike benefits many.

Roll on Saturday, the missus is out with the little one visiting friends so I'll have a day to myself to cogitate.

It has already started with the Renegade Chapters: Dark Raiders Legion trait. Suddenly I am looking for Assault weapons everywhere and Icons of Wrath. Luckily I hadn't built any of my 6 bikers as yet.

Interesting times.

Edit: It turns out I only have 6 DV hellbrutes (3 mint, 2 assembled by someone else, and one now in the strip), but I do have a multi-part one un-built and another on the way in a start collecting box. I also found a FW World Eaters dreadnought/hellbrute in a bag with the big chain blade/DCCW arms, which I forgot I owned. Whilst red paint dries I guess I can ponder what possible weapon configurations I could do some as. Obviously one stays DV default as the late Mortis Metalikus.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Had a fiddle with the hellbrutes.

The two greyish ones are two that I got off a mate that clearly didn't know how to glue things together aligned properly, but just enough that even when soaked in the stuff I strip with they didn't come apart (thus the whitish/grey colour). It often dissolves glue on multi-part models.

So I sawed both arms off one and put on a multi-kit right arm hellbrute fist with heavy flamer and a power scourge on it. Just blu-tac'd at the moment.

On the other I just changed the left arm for the multi-kit hellbrute hist with a heavy flamer.

On the mint one, because I could modify before assembly, I changed the head to one from the multi-part kit, and had it look to the left and lined up the missile launcher with that (after sawing the stock arms off).

I sawed part of the scenic slab off the left foot to change the stance a bit, and took the top off the cowl around the head, and replaced it with one from the multi-part kit.

The gun was just sawing off the standard multi-melta, cutting off the barrels and swapping in twin-lascannon barrels from the multi-part kit. A few guns will work for this as the multi-melta sans barrels looks just like the main gun part from the multi-part kit (lascannons, heavy bolters easily, with some farting about the reaper and the plasma cannon possibly).

I positioned it pointing up at a higher angle whilst his insanity riddled mind tries to fire the missile launcher. I did both these guns on this one as they both have the same maximum range.

The one in the strip I'll just leave as stock build.

Lots of ideas for actual detail work on these, such as swapping out the horns for tentacles, trying to change the cowls on some, adding horn eruptions from various places useing stuff from my bits box.

As a final aside the multi-part kit isn't very dynamic but I am going to make it's waist swivel whether it wants to or not. Such a boring static kit, but great for weapons to jazz up DV hellbrutes. Still pondering how I'll build the two multi-part ones, and the two mint DV ones, but all weapon options will feature.

Right, off to the gym methinks.

gallery_27755_12410_23861.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

Why do I download codices at midnight when I should sleep?

Besides everything (well, a lot) getting cheaper not much equipment changes for me, beyond pondering modelling artefacts.

The new Plague Marine datasheet though...mad. So many wonderful new toys, and completely gunless "assault" unit options. I can't wait to see what direction the various DG threads on here go, although possibly the multi-part kit might be worth waiting for.

I played the Fate of Kronor Week 3 Mission, Hold the Line, and set about try to get at the False Emperor's Combine Harvesters.

As the mission revolves around vehicle keywords the simplest thing for me to do was make a load of quickly converted DV Helbrute's (Vanguard Detachment).

Went well. 12-3 to me. Having that many multi-meltas made a change for chaos.

The Fire Frenzy Stratagem on the double gun one was great (he did for a Tank Commander and a Manticore on his own).

I ended up taking the Axe of Blind Fury for the warpsmith purely because he had a power axe. He ended up finishing off a Knight-Paladin with it.

The helbrute fist/power scourge armed one beat up the Knight on his own mostly, prior to the warpsmith finishing it off.

Only lost that helbrute and the cultists.

Alas when any Explosions occurred on either side nothing was nearby, and none of my damaged Helbrutes went Crazed once.

Having the Renegade Legion Trait helped too, as did helbrute's not diminishing in performance.

gallery_27755_12410_72179.jpg

I have dug out those possessed I was working on as with the wound increase, with no change in cost, they needed trying out at some point.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Chaplain Dosjetka: Only the 6 DV ones lightly converted, I haven't built the two multi-part ones. Vanguard "only" allowed 6, as did the PL :smile.:. I have stopped painting as whilst the thin wash/glaze technique certainly works it makes sense to do as many all at once as it is somewhat tedious. As for chaos I always fancied it (mostly for converting) but someone else in whatever grouping I played in always wanted to. In 8th no one else is (apart from a DG player) so I went for it. Having lots of less loved models knocking about certainly helped.

@Sagentuss: Alas, not a registered site, we are just playing them as they are there. It has been chaos all the way with us (well, me). I even ordered the Deathworld Forest Terrain to use with the Loebos world stratagem, whatever week that is going to be.

Well, people who haven't played in ages are back at the club, so I might get to play against necrons or another chaos/grey knights player at some point.

It has made me ponder what to focus on as all this play testing units is fun and all but it does stop one focusing on finishing units off. It might just be that way until after Fate of Konor Week 6.

Units I haven't tried out sort of split into two camps: very easy to use some crap and quick temporaries (chaos space marines, cultists, hellbrutes, world eaters etc) or ones that have had to be built "properly" first time through/heavily converted (chosen/havocs, warp talons, bloodletters, defiler, forgefiend, maulerfiend, helldrake, Khârn etc.)

So some kits I own that I have none built are raptors, bikes, terminators (15), terminator lord/sorceror, bloodcrushers, skullcannon, bloodthirster, Skarbrand, Uraka the Warfiend, and Skulltaker so I guess I should do a minimum squad of each to try them out. There is even a daemon prince kit but I think following the general trend on here I'll have to give that some serious thought and heavily convert it :smile.:

Slightly more involved, and needing some converting, would be 15 odd possessed, a spare herald from the bloodthrone onto a bloodcrusher (actually a spare might skullcrusher), chaos lord of Khorne on juggernaut (another spare skullcrusher), chaos lord of Slaneesh on a steed of slaanesh (spare from hellstriders), some Crimson Slaughter plague marines (I have various spare putrid blightkings bits and some rancid ideas rotting in my brain), a "renegade" knight (that'll need some serious converting), and some flesh hounds using the plastics from the AoS Mighty Lord of Khorne as a start but aligned to the horrid finecast ones.

I even found two sets of FW chaos rhino extra armour and World Eater doors (that like the FW WE Dreadnought I forgot I owned), but I hate the tracks (they look too much like Imperial Aquila on chaos vehicles) but then it occurred to me if I studded them with Grandt Line rivets they would look mad and I would go mad doing it.

And then there are the cultists, all 114 of them. I got some genestealer cultist accessory sprues for the baldy goggles head and I really should do some. And various spawn.

Actually I need to sort of pay flit penance/tax and every time I do something really fun I should convert 10 cultists. I back owe about 40 cultists at this point.

Then there are all the spare land raiders and various rhino chassis tanks I have spare from my marine armies that could be tithed to chaos an still leave more than enough for my Space Marines.

Finally to top it all off I went a ordered a secret project and bought a new large kit that has had a massive PL drop when I really don't need any new models.

Basically it has all gotten terribly chaotic so I now think I will go through the Index and Codex and actually work out what I own and could build (or what stage things are at) and try to come up with some sort of structured project plan as my office is starting to look like an overwhelmed mess of chaos models in various stages, none of which are fully painted.

However as much as I like converting, it is a means to an end, as they are playing pieces and I am really enjoying playing. I can play with unpainted but built models, but I can't play with un-built ones. My eyesight is so bad that on the table all that grey just makes them look like warp Ghosts anyway.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Well, cataloged everything.

Whilst doing so I was reminded why I stopped the possessed (hoping for new miniatures).

That didn't happen and I was also reminded I wanted to try out chosen shoulders on the possessed I was messing about with.

Due some more bits tomorrow and then I'll crack on with at least 5, maybe 10 and potentially 20.

I think the chosen shoulders work, and that helm splice idea did on the chosen, but I think he needs his legs swapping after being sawn in half as he is disappointing otherwise.

gallery_27755_12410_130606.jpg

"You have failed us for the last time."

Did a little more fiddling with some.

I intend to use some blood warrior chests for my Khorne Berzerkers, but I tried one out on a possessed and it certainly makes him a lot larger.

I also need to find my spare blood secrators so I can use his ridiculous bone pony tail as spinal columns for the possessed emerging from their armour and fusing with their power plants.

gallery_27755_12410_114632.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo