Man, those are still just about my favourite Possessed conversions. It's great how sleek and lethal they are, while also perfectly matching the "official" Gal Vorbak look!

One idea: Maybe some of the Wood Elf/Sylvaneth dryad bitz might be worth a look: Most look like branches and wood, but there are some that are spiky and disturbing, and they might work just perfectly if you ever find yourself in need of more mutated spikes and claws.

@Sagentus: Thanks mate. Oddly enough I don't like the chosen I put a possessed head on, too symmetrical. I should probably glue two different possessed head halves together first, then remove their jaws, and then attach. The shoulder pads are working out nicely though. I do know a plaguebearer head on top of that one looks great for a plaguemarine.

As for the cultists I think 2 units of 40 with brutal close combat weapons, bolstered by a dark apostle and exalted champion, repeatedly using Tide of Traitors will be amusing (and as renegades advancing and charging).

@KrautScientist: Favourite? Thanks mate :smile.: However, now I am going to have to pull out all the stops. They are actually early days yet, there is some more weirdness to be done to some parts yet for more proof of concept.

Cool idea about the sylvaneth bits, now that you mention it I know what you mean. Once I start getting above 5/10 I'll need to do that to keep some variety.

Regards the Gal Vorbak approach it has lead to some attempts to emulate things that signify them to me.

1) Large: GV really fill the space of their 40mm bases, so I am trying to emulate that with these which is somewhat stymied by the fact they are based on possessed models that originally came on mere 25mm bases. That is why I have shifted to using the blood warriors chests as they are much broader and taller when stacked on an alternate waist, as are the chosen shoulder pads (which are mutated AND massive).

2) Inhuman: and I mean that whilst they are bipedal humanoids I want them to look off and feral, lank and rangy but also disproportionate (the massive chests for example), whilst also looking like predators stalking (wulfen stances help with this). I think it'll be 50/50 balance of parts versus stance. What I mean is I could do cool parts but if I get the stance/pose wrong they look crap, and vice versa (as can be seen by the weak ones I have fiddled with).
3) Asymmetrical: The symmetry of the possessed kit parts is actually it's biggest weak point when comparing to GV, they don't have split helm faces, their power plants nozzles are balanced and not all crazy and at mad angles, GV have very little symmetry left to right and I'll continue to try and emulate that. I'll need to consider having the occasional "normal" arm, as whilst incongruous, GV have those as they use weapons. I think it could look cool though having one massive and overdeveloped mutant arm if the model was almost leaning on it like a third leg, but it could quite literally look totally out of balance.
4) Weird: The other thing is to have just plain weird bits, like a mouth/maw for a stomach. To be honest this is more Mhara Gal and Blade-slaves inspired, but I am Instamold lifting maws from the AoS Blood Warrior champion, the putrid blight kings tentacle mouth stomach, some of the new Death Guard models, and the possessed chest piece that is ribs and spine (to go around the back below the power pack), and the closed maw chest piece (turned through 90 degrees).

So next steps will be building sub-assemblies, like enhanced mutated claws, disjointed and spliced power packs, more split face helms, and then I can experiment putting them together until I get stances and poses that I like.

Oh...and claws of course. Lots of large, massive claws with disturbing numbers of digits. Either way too few or too many, certainly not the usual 5.

Some more fiddling, left one is not working at all, right one was to see if the left arm/claw across the body worked well when in alignment with an outward facing right claw (a bit like the paired LCs from the SW WG termie kit). I think yes on that.

gallery_27755_12410_213099.jpg

Note that using the blood warrior torsos was something I had farted around with to try and make chaos warriors from the AoS starter mighty Lord of Khorne, a more imposing chaos lord, and a more imposing chaos lord on daemonic mount (for AoS Skirmish).

Obviously not going to post here but some (surprised how few I posted) are on my Twitter that I never use and barely update https://twitter.com/Teknometer

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Sagentus: Look for bits shops for the blood warrior chests. I look for sales and then you can get them for pence rather than a pound plus. I've got 30 odd for these possessed and berserker plans. As an aside I forgot I had another 10 cultists :smile.: It is 90 for close combat and 30 shooting ones and change (124 in total).

Oh and thanks, but all I am doing is using GV as an inspiration. Now the hard work starts. Just put one of the possessed next to a cultist...looks utterly huge in comparison.

Edited by Marius Perdo

With all the Nurgle inspired stuff going on around here I couldn't help but start fiddling with a Crimson Slaughter plague marine.

Note these aren't Death Guard, but low grade ones made by itinerant sorcerors of Nurgle without Mortarion's or Typhus' involvement/sanction.

Thus things go a bit more wrong than usual.

gallery_27755_12410_15058.jpg

Obviously very rough and WIP and early days and all that.

I am finding that the putrid blightking weapons work quite well. Swords/knives for plague knives/plague swords, the axes for bubotic axes, and the large axes for great plague cleavers.

I still have to go up into the attic but I think the deathwing knight maces could do for a start on maces of corruption. I'll possibly use spare scout biker grenade launchers as crap non-DG non-Legion blight launchers (held like bolt guns, like bad copies or knock offs).

I will be using the DV chosen backpacks with bolt guns attached, either entire if they have their hands full, or just the censer nozzles cut off and glued to another pack.

I might try and swap the bolt gun out for a plasma gun on one, use it on the guy above, given him a raptor power fist for a right arm and swap the knife for an Everchosen plague sword I have spare for the left, or use the power fist from the chosen for the left hand and a putrid blightking sword in the right hand.

Early days yet but I have sated my curiosity for now and will go back to the possessed...although I am pondering doing a khorne berzerker test bed model.

Edit: Had to know what he might look like with power fists.

gallery_27755_12410_55175.jpg

gallery_27755_12410_2569.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

Sated my curiosity about a berserker. Obviously very rough, sort of proof of concept again. Also checked out an Icon of Wrath idea. Cultist for scale, so he is a big lad, as big as my possessed that I am working on (fiddled with this whilst waiting for greenstuff to cure). They are S5 after all :)

gallery_27755_12410_211010.jpg

That nurgle infested model is coming along great. with more gs work he will look epic. If you need pointers for nurglefication message Rednekkboss he has tutorials and his plog is great too.

That bezerker is a beast! I thing the icon would make the model look to big, but you could always make it a banner for another model?

@Sagentus: I can mold lift to do greentsuff cheating, I can blend those in, but raw sculpting just isn't possible with my CSR (Central Serous Retinopathy). I have trouble seeing what I am looking at as is, without creating something new that small :smile.:

The berserker and size...basically if I don't go bigger than a new Death Guard model I think I'll be Okay. They are swollen and bloated with corruption, a berserker is swollen with rage, muscle, and Khorneroids.

As an aside I generally don't like icons as staves/banners, the Havocs Icon of Slaanesh being an exception (I envisage they took it in the Eye of Terror from some daemonettes and thus began their downward spiral into sensate depravity and excess), as to me they'd just get in the way of fighting, especially if someone had two weapons. In this case it was a test. I also think they (staff/banners) sort of tie back to Legion signifiers, but less so for renegade chapters (like Crimson Slaughter).

However for the plague marine I might use the guy above and replace his right arm with a tentacle holding a sort of walking staff Icon of Despair (topped with the putrid blightking mace head like the mark of Nurgle) as only a plague marine  (not a plague champion) with a boltgun or paired plague knives can be the icon bearer. His right leg also looks very poorly and he probably would need a walking stave :smile.:

Note that Khorne Berzerkers are similar in that only Khorne Berzerkers can carry the Icon of Wrath, and not the Berzerker Champion.

For my Chaos Space Marines, Chosen, Chaos Terminators, Chaos Bikers, Raptors, and Havocs (as already seen but with an actual banner) I'll be giving icons to the unit champions as back banners to make them even more obviously the squad leader (and to sort of tie into the back banners space marine sergeants have and have had for ages), as it is worded as one model can take a Chaos icon.

As for the possessed, it is taking a while. Lots of greenstuffing and glue that has to be allowed to dry before sawing and messing about. Doing them one at a time so each has my full focus as far as being a possessed is concerned (and should hopefully keep them unique and avoid any sameness from production lining them).

I am actually taking a break this week and not playing the Week 5 mission. I was finding the building was making me rush make do models out, and taking away from meaningful building projects (like the possessed).

Edited by Marius Perdo

Fitted a first cut of a possessed body. He still needs the ribs sculpting in from the back to the front alongside his bellymaw. Also I need to drill into the ball mount and round it out so it fits on the legs better. He will lose a tiny bit of height from that.

I will take the jaw from a spare bloodletter face and put that on the daemonsde of his face, and add a large round eye (a small one from the spawn kit) and add several roll greenstuff ones from along the eye horn ridge.

I will also cut the lower legs (shins/knees/feet) away from the upper legs (thighs), pin with wire, and then fill in with greenstuff to lengthen them as they look too short now compared to his massive torso, even taken mutation into account. This will bring back a little height too.

Did the start of the pack splice for asymmetry.

The claws haven't been touched yet, but I have been looking at the fleshy under-arm tendons on the hellbrute fists from the ones I sawed off the DV hellbrutes with interest.

Also a rear view to show the green stuff mold lift of the ribs and spine.

On a scenic base I temporarily borrowed from one of the Havocs as I was curious how tall he'd be (currently about 2.5" from desktop to the tip of the long horn).

gallery_27755_12410_210481.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

Waaait a second, that Plague Marine guy seems kinda familiar ;)

Seriously, though: Really love the head-splice, because I think you chose an excellent upper-half: He looks really creepy and almost alien. I think the axe from the first picture and the power fist might be the perfect combo (from a purely visual standpoint, mind you), but the sword and fist work really well, too.

The berzerker is a very promising sketch, although I'd say the icon doesn't really work, especially since it interferes with his "bunny ears".

Still in love with your Possessed concept ;)

Keep up the excellent work! :)

@KrautScientist: It seemed to work when I mentioned it earlier for the Havoc using the same body with the chaos warrior aspiring champion head (copying what you did with your plague marine). The zombie putrid blightking head also seems to be working. I was most curious to see what the tumor hoof leg from the putrid blighting and the pox walker belly would look like. They'll probably work out. As for weapons I think I will make this guy the icon bearer with a tentacle.

For the berserker the only way round the icon is for me to do the berzerker champion helmetless, that way the silhouette of the horns of the jackal (or whatever it was that Siege of Vraks called them) isn't messed up by the icon (regardless of which icon I use). I just think a banner stave will mean the positioning will be less combative, as in swinging axes about whilst charging.

Both are just proof of concepts. I really need to focus on the possessed as there is no quick way to do make do models for those that I'll be happy play testing.

I am doing the leg extensions for the possessed now. Each is clearly going to take some time and effort, but beyond the fact they look Okay I am looking forward to rampaging W2 models about in groups of 10 in vehicles with an icon of wrath and the renegade legion trait for charging and advancing. Maybe that icon would work on a possessed if the blood secrators banner is too ridiculous :smile.:

Edited by Marius Perdo

So I did some pins to build GS up around for the possessed.

This meant trying to decide on how much height I wanted and proportions before doing I final pin cut, although they are heavily warped and mutated so I wasn't going to get too hung up on exact human ratios. I'll increase the shins guard by about 1/3rd of the gap, and the thigh by 2/3rds.

As I had a First Strike box open it occurred to me to quickly knock an Intercessor together to compare size, as they are W2 as well.

He is about half a helm taller (comparing helm tops and not horns), and two thirds of a shoulder pad broader. He also isn't on a scenic base as yet.

This was the moment when I went from bimbling about with these and quite liking them to loving them.

It's as if I have become a man possessed...ahem.

gallery_27755_12410_31535.jpg

Done a bit more work, added some growths, twisted the nozzles on the powerpack, added a horn to the helmet, added a lot of horns to the armour, started work on his Horrifying Mutations (claw arm thingies), drilled some holes into his daemon face to which I'll add Britta plastic balls as the start of eyes. I'll need to put a Writhing Tentacle somewhere, possibly his left palm as a homage to KrautScientists DG hellbrute.

Oh and greenstuffed in the legs, still needs more tendons/inter-connective tissue etc. And horn bone growths, and flesh metal tubes. It never ends with the heavily warped and mutated.

gallery_27755_12410_113026.jpg

@Sgt. Blank/BrotherJim: Thanks gents, he does seem to be coming together.

It has been weird not playing last week and actually building something slowly as opposed to throwing test stuff together quickly.

As such I haven't actually been looking at rules but something was niggling me about how I can get the possessed into Fights without being Overwatched.

Now the Sorceror with Jump Pack and Warp Talons Warptimed using Warpflame Strike works but that is PL 14.

Reading the Transport rules getting out of the Rhino, having the Rhino Move and squad Move/Advance (depending on how damaged the rhino is and Move reduced), then have the Rhino Charge the target first and get within 1" stopping further Overwatch, and then have the squad charge, would work. Slightly riskier (failed Rhino Charge or Rhino goes boom from Overwatch) but cheaper at PL 4 and it Transports them to boot.

Nut shell is I shall ascend to the attic to get two old and very battered rhino chassis that will be chaosified in between doing possessed. With FW armour and doors, magnetised doors to swap between Crimson Slaughter and World Eaters.

Edited by Marius Perdo

So I discovered something weird.

I have two old marine rhinos that used to have FW extra-armour on and no side doors. I am going to rip the front glacis plate out carefully, and the old space marine hatch and storm bolters. and whilst removed I'll fit a pasti-card plate under that hatch holes and add magnets so I can swap around driver head hatches (I have some old discontinued FW ones), Havoc launchers, combi-weapons etc.

However when looking at the FW chaos extra-armour and FW WE doors (mainly for the new resin glacis plates) I discovered whilst I had two sets of armour I had THREE sets of WE FW doors.

Now I checked my old e-mails from FW and as far as I can tell I only ordered 2 or each years ago. Could FW accidentally bagged two in one bag? Have I pleased Khorne in some way?

Now, do I order a third set of extra- armour? First world problems eh? Still weird.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Done a bit more semi-detail work on the possessed. Still loads to do but slowly getting there.

I forgot to get the Britta balls out of the attic for his eyes, so I'll do the head last after I next ascend.

Some parts I have used thus far that I never expected to are fingers from a DV hellbrute fist, bloodletter head horns as spines, horns from a DV hellbrute, face spines from a slaughterbrute (I'll be using the teeth alot in future), long wavy curve horns from a slaughterbrute (one featuring as a right nipple horn & the other as an elbow extrusion), and putrid blightking shoulder horns as...well...horns.

Whilst fun I am so glad I have a silly amount of weird chaos bits or I'd be lucky to do one, let alone 10+.

gallery_27755_12410_277023.jpg

@Pearson73: Ta mate.

@Sagentus: Thanks. I am finding sources from all over the place. Even all the spare bloodletter heads are providing bits of horns and spines.

I have added a plastic eye from the mass of tentacles and eyes on stalks forsaken head bit. 

Sculpting was not going well (too small for me to see properly) and the Britta balls I have are tiny. No use for eyes but for making bumpy or nodular skin I think they will work (can't recall whose DG thread I saw that on, so many good ones at the moment).

I think I'll think I'll finish some larger areas/parts first, then move onto some other possessed and avoid demoralising myself over sculpting.

I would have taken a picture but my cameras macro and super-macro settings just seem to do nothing (that tulip setting), it was fine yesterday. It (the old one) does seem to need new batteries though, and if not well I have a spare "new" camera I never used.

I dropped my old one which bent the micro USB port for file transfers, bought a new one, then remembered I had a few 16 GB SD cards and an external USB HUB/card reader and never stopped using the old camera.

Now where is my new unused camera I have had for so long it is old? ;)

A small child has secretly been stealing all my batteries for her toys so when I went to get some for my camera...well, her mum has anyway.

The missus is getting some whilst out today.

I have done some more work and I'll post pictures later. Basically I added a power pack mount to the bloodwarrior backplate and tacked on the pack, so now I can add tentacles/tube from the lower exhausts and have them merge into the back (ala GV styling).

I also looked at lots of stock possessed heads as I quite like how the neck bulged and jutted forward making them look more inhuman and bestial. So I have sawed off the neck and thinned down the neck on the converted head and combined them.

It really does look better, but it has added some extra height (the angle is forwards and up), and the power pack mounting extra height and depth, so now he is huge. he now dwarfs the blue 1st Strike Intercessor. He is also part of a head and power pack nozzles taller than his rhino transport.

In other news I pondered what I would do in the future after the chaos is done. As you all know I have a lot of Imperial space marines but I am unlikely to want to play a second army anytime soon. However I'll probably still want to model.

So I ordered the 30th CE Primaris Sergeant (which strangely isn't just at GW so you can find webstores with 25% off), and dug out various CE models, like the Crimson Fist Captain, the Imperial Space Marine, and the plastic web store exclusive captains.

I had a quick gander on eBay and managed to get the CE plastic Terminator Captain on sprue for £18 (whut?!), and a weird bundle deal with various plastic space marine characters (blood angels chaplain, dark angels chaplain, deathwatch chaplain and some AoS stuff) that also had the CE Terminator Chaplain in there. After the RRP value of the others he came out as £50 BNIB which is certainly cheaper than the £80+ that seems to be the norm.

Anyway, something to look forward to in the future.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Camera just needed batteries so a pic of where I am up to showing what I was rambling about. Lots of work still for the daemon side of the head.

I do fancy a change of pace though so I will do something for the BCK challenge that I have been meaning to for years.

gallery_27755_12410_14554.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo