A bit of stumbling into accidental projects.

A mate wanted to play Kill Team using all Kill Zones, expansions, cards etc, so he suggested starting some fresh Kill Teams and something we had never played before. He went with the Scion box and I went with the Tyranid Genestealer one.

I don't really like the mono-data sheet Kill Teams though so I have ordered some warriors and gaunts. My degree was in zoology so I fancy converting and making unique and improbable plastic organisms, especially a lictor.

That leaves my primaris army, as I am really enjoying bimbling with them. The use of Dark Angels Chapter iconography came out of pondering Deathwatch veterans and blinging non-standard chapters (see earlier in my thread) - in that specific case finding the Angel's Redeemed as an example using the Dark Angels chapter symbol.

I don't fancy painting red with black arms and backpacks though for an entire army, so I thought I'd do my own chapter. Something simple that still uses the same symbol.

To use the Dark Angel Chapter transfers I'll keep that white. I'll use the heraldry of the Angels Redeemed - left knee roman numeral for company, right shoulder squad symbol with roman numeral inset for squad number.

Helms will be usual white for veterans, red for sergeants etc.

That left two things, colour and name.

I wanted something bright, but not a prime colour, and not metallic. Something that could show up chipping and weathering quite well. I was looking at my paints and saw an old solid Hobgoblin Orange - that sort of industrial orange, not too red and warm/hot, not to yellow and pale, not too ochre and soil like, and certainly not pastel and pinky/apricot/peachy - I have quite a few reds and yellow from Vallejo for other projects that I can mix.

Non-chapter symbols will be white and black, not made my mind up which way around as yet, chest eagle probably white (for more chipping), gun cases black, eye lenses blue (works with all helms, whether orange, white or red).

Name...that took ages. I didn't want angels, I wanted the wings to represent the Imperium. And a sword is a sword. Names like Celestial Swords and Emperor's Swords had been done, founded twice and destroyed etc. And had schemes I didn't like anyway.

Emperor's Blades have not been done canonically - apart from a throw away line in Lords of Silence. So that is who they shall be. The orange will be for a new dawn (Crusade Founding?), the white of the chapter symbol purity of purpose I suppose.

gallery_27755_12410_9468.jpg

Farted about a little with other models - W500 conversion that I thought I could make to look like one of the old masters of the chapter (10th I think), but angle of the Ultramarines upgrade sword was unsuitable. So messed about (I have three of this model).

Also decided for a head swap for the Gravis Captain to the one on the IF sprue in Supremacy Force - it will be a bit of a bugger to get the old one out as can be seen but there is something quite slick about the new one and I like the skull honorific.

I finish my current role on the 17/12 and start a new job (a sort of internal move and double promotion) - I'll try and get some stuff done in the 3 weeks off I have.

We'll have to see what Chapter Approved does to costs but this is a loose plan/list:

Captain in Gravis Armour PL7

Primaris Lieutenant x2 PL10

Intercessor Squad PL5

Intercessor Squad PL5

Primaris Ancient PL5

Inceptor Squad PL10

Hellblaster Squad PL8

PL50

Primaris Apothecary PL4

Aggressor Squad PL6

Reiver Squad PL5

Redemptor Dreadnought PL10

PL75

Edit:

Swapped the helm.

gallery_27755_12410_61069.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst working through DI/KNF type marines I have been doing a ETB Redemptor mash up with a MP kit - in slight stages. Not really sure why, probably just because I can.

gallery_27755_12410_138740.jpg

I am trying to stay focused on getting the first DI PL50 equivalent done, and also pondering the next 25, but CA2018 (Intercessor Sergeant with power fists), with IDVN Indomitus Crusade special detachment Indomitus Crusaders and Grey Shield and Veteran Intercessors using Bolt Storm and Ultramarine CT - Ld10 and auto-hitting when Falling Back and shooting - all very distracting.

I am currently working on the Hellblasters but weapon swapping to heavy plasma incinerators from MP kit using DI and ETB bodies.

Again, just because I can.

Just some observations to share when mashing MP kits with DI/KNF stuff.

gallery_27755_12410_34990.jpg

When doing hellblasters with heavy plasma incinerators they are very precise due to the cables. Whilst holding the guns one-handed (the sergeant poses I suppose) is easy, and would work well with a plasma incinerator too, I'd really advise not doing this and just use the models as per the MP box. For the non-cabled guns (assault/plasma incinerators) and one handed for sergeants, sure...heavies - nope (too late for me now apart from the last one).

As for the DI intercessor with the gun swap to stalker I also advise against doing it that way, very fiddly to line everything up. On the last two for that squad I am going to carefully cut out the magazine/scope part from DI/KNF intercessors and insert the larger scope/straight magazine part from the MP kit.

Note I will have 10 man squads to get as much value as possible from the 1 CP stuff for Indomitus Crusaders, but the extra 5 will be a bit more experimental, like left handers/reloaders etc. I'll do spare sergeants so I can have 6 squads of 5 as well as 3 of 10.

Been reading and planning stuff mostly, but continuing to weapon swap DI Intercessors.

However when pondering some background and story I wanted a flaming sword to be the Burning Blade for the captain.

gallery_27755_11019_125683.jpg

After much pondering I think I'll just add flames from some Tzeentch daemon model to the top of the stock blade.

Also fiddling with converting the stock primaris apothercary and chaplain to have them aiming and shooting the hand cannon that is the absolver bolt pistol.

The rummaging for bits revealed all sorts and made me ponder projects for 2019.

Some mates are going to do HH and I have loads of stuff for UM and breachers.

So I will do those as well as a Logos Lectora but it also fitted in with an third project inspired by a new model(s).

I like the new Marneus model and I'll pick one up tomorrow. I have so many spare sternguard and vanguard I'll do a UM Victrix Guard. The main conversion challenge will be doing new plastic versions of the normal honour guard and chapter ancient - I have the old metal box set with Calgar in so doing a homage to the old miniatures seems fitting.

@DuskRaider: Ta mate, funny you should say that...

So my mate who is doing HH has spent a small fortune on Imperial Fists from FW.

So I got all my HH type stuff and rummaged and did an assaying. Result was a whince at how much I had spent over the years (and never built) but also some joy that doing a second (now primary) traitor army was possible. With 30 odd breachers, and a lot of deimos style vehicles (Logos Lectorum for UM is more infantry), I will do some Iron Warriors, and do a RoW Hammer of Olympia.

A small, restrained order from Forge World of 20 Iron Warrior heads and 10 Iron Hand heads followed.

First will be a warsmith using the other half of the Iron Hands techmarine (mainly for the servo arm) that I used for Valylund Cal (back in post #301) and an Aggressor head (for that lung/gill osmotic bionic thing that Leman Russ had in the original RT book after an acid storm accident) with legs from the BAC praetor. I'll do a cortex controller inspired by the praevian, and I'll try and add the controller/monitor thingy from RTB marines just for full on retro.

gallery_27755_12410_266492.jpg

I'll use another Deathwatch heavy thunder hammer and the volkite charger from the FW praetor.

As an aside the aggressor heads (and hellblaster ones) look quite good on centurions.

Whilst doing anvilus packs for void warfare looks good, some of the really old chaos space marine plastic power packs look like stabiliser armed MKII/IIIs - I'll use some of these as if for siege warfare on low-G planets and moons/asteroids.

gallery_27755_12410_64484.jpg

The primaris conversions are still ongoing though...

gallery_27755_12410_115798.jpg

And now for the salvaging...

This land raider was originally built as a chaos one, then FW MKIIBd, then chaosed again, and now I will de-chaos, full armour, and HH up for my IW as a dedicated transport for breachers. I have an idea for the tracks to make them more HHey - it involves cotton wool buds.

gallery_27755_12410_80131.jpg

The FW resin vindicator and damocles from #70 (for my Minotaurs originally) got destroyed by an inattentive strip. I will re-purpose the vindicator as a deimos one, and I'll do the buggered damocles as was as a deimos predator or scorpious.

gallery_27755_12410_37580.jpg

I also found some nearly 30 year old space marine transfers - I might use some for the sergeant and captain markings on my IW and UM in HH in out of the way places (a bit like how the new Carab Culln dread had them sculpted on). The old epic titan stuff has some great symbols for doing personalised heraldry - and the DG ones will need to be used if I ever finish my newer DG.

gallery_27755_12410_62774.jpg

Well that should keep me busy for 2019.

Edit:

Needs straightening with warm water/hair dryer but salvaged the mess that was a vindicator and now a new vindicator.

gallery_27755_12410_69015.jpg

The dozer blade from the kit will be magnetised and the mine sweeping one doesn't fit as is. That one has magnets in already, so I'll use one of the 4 un-built ones and modify it so it can magnetise to the front glacis of the kit.

I'll also need to play with magnetising crew for holding pintle mounted guns - I have the old discontinued HH crew - MKII, II, IV, 3 of each I think, and one pintle weapons kit.

I'll do it so they can be swapped between any vehicle.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Straightened out the vindicator hull, which needed doing. It wasn't fun though (boilng water and hands rarely are) and I have been itching to play with contemptors for days.

gallery_27755_12410_101412.jpg

I have 5 BAC, a resin relic one, the old resin one from my Minotaurs, and a resin Imperial First relic one. The last is probably going to get sawn in half to become a scenic base (well two with spare plastic bits), with the ornate shoulders and knees going to a UM one.

So 3 will be IW and 3 for UM. I'll be adding bonding studs and square pyramidal spikes, using normal dread legs for exposed cortus type pistons, dread feet as well (for sort of bionic legs/feet for that cortus feel, Kastelan torsos as extra armour and for an IW look (without looking like the FW one which looks like an ork built it), magnetising weapons etc. Generally having some good, old fashioned modelling fun. Lots of standing with one leg on things to look cool.

However I need an HQ so I have started sketching a warsmith.

gallery_27755_12410_47457.jpg

Whilst I generally don't like using metal parts anymore I think this old Iron warriors warsmith servo arm works better than the resin one (I found 4 with lots of old metal servitors).

gallery_27755_12410_13480.jpg

The servo-skull/cyber familiar is just there as I am curious to see what it looks like as I will use the same IH model as a base for a forge lord, using Armeneus Valthex's conversion beamer where the servo arm goes - again with thunder hammer (although using a DW heavy one again will probably be over doing it) and a graviton gun, just because they can.

And I'll do a siege breaker too, even if I don't have a medusa (because I do have an achilles alpha in a bag).

I'll convert all to have cortex controllers, not that own a single robot.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Bjorn Firewalker: Sketch mate (a phrase for mock ups I think Kraut Scientist first used on here?). All embellishments will be removed (like I did with the BAC torso), in this case I'll fill in the hammer indents to create a flat surface for hazard chevrons - what is more hazardous than the business end of a double-headed super heavy thunder hammer? :smile.: But no, no Loyalist IW here, move along, nothing to see :smile.: I like Dantioch but no Sotha stuff here.

@The Observer: Nicely Observed...ahem. Been hanging around with my three year old too much, my sense of humour has broken. Ta though.

@DuskRaider: Told you there was treason incoming. However he needs spikes...

So today's quests are to go to the amazing Transport Models at Preston Docks (I can walk there it is so close!) and get various sized square plastic rod. And maybe some brass tubing too for barrels and silencers for RG seekers/recon, and some tiny brass wire for micro pinning.

Also seek out some very old Vallejo model air metallics in the garage for painting these guys (IW that is).

Edit:

The afternoon.

Dug out paints, have a range for the iron armour, bronze/brass trim, yellow for chevorns.

gallery_27755_12410_176390.jpg

I have at least 6 of each, and in some cases a lot more.

The lot more.

gallery_27755_12410_200762.jpg

For Silver Skulls from back wen I first joined B&C, then I thought maybe for Knight of the Raven.

gallery_27755_12410_148767.jpg

I'll mix lots of the earlier yellows, with the red shown (for an eldar project I never did), to make bright oranges for my Emperor's Blades primaris.

gallery_27755_12410_2415.jpg

The helms arrived from FW.

gallery_27755_12410_29387.jpg

The brass rod will be used for recon Raven Guard (I had loads of FW stuff for Knights of the Raven, and brass etch, and FW MK VI and I read Extermination for IW and sort of liked RG too), #9381 slips inside #9382 perfectly, and the very thin #9830 is for pinning very tiny (usually FW) resin things.

gallery_27755_12410_230261.jpg

Soild plastic square rod, for making pyramidal square based boning stud/spikes. The 142 is tiny and probably too small to work with, but the 153 will work for infantry (probably, certainly terminators) and the 164 is for dreadnoughts.

Oh, and the extra FW went unreasonable and I did a silly order that was not restrained.

So purchases done, preparation and materials done, enough arrived to be going on with, let the various project flitting for 2019 commence.

Whilst I don't have a Wall of Bronze Beasts like in #1 for Minotaurs, I do have an ideas folder of images of Iron Warriors research which means I just see iron and hazard chevrons when I close my eyes.

PS I also ordered the Adeptus Titanicus 4 titan deal deal and Griffon titan sheet, and dug out some original epic rhinos, epic MK VI marines, and proteus style land raiders (in blue plastic) from the garage, and the ruins that came in the box and on the square bases for epic 40K - for the titans bases.

Edited by Marius Perdo

I've always liked Korvydae's head.

gallery_27755_12410_1954.jpg

However not large enough and would need to much repair work.

I think the aggressor head works better.

gallery_27755_12410_40888.jpg

I'll get lots of small plastic tubes from the kataphron and Cawl kits to have him a bit like Perturabo with cortical implants and to fill in the empty space behind the head.

gallery_27755_12410_44390.jpg

Pondering on whether to add studs to half of each thigh plate/shield, on the outer side opposite to the lower legs - OR - have just one side studded and the opposite for hazard chevrons.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Feeling very inspired by the work done here right now, in Marius’ thread in particular, but also in quite a few others on here - Cadmus Tyro, Neman and Subtle Discord to name a few.

I’m Marius’s mate that has begun on a (As I’m only learning now) mind-bogglingly intense and work heavy journey with the Imperial Fists Legion and in order to achieve truly satisfying results, I’m going to have to grow my hobby skills rather significantly...I’m almost inspired to start a blog...

Anyhow, back on topic: The Aggressor head looks by far the best of the two on the Warsmith IMO, the whole model looks damn good, I also prefer the Iron Warriors servo arm. It’s nice to get a sneak peek of who I’ll be facing on the battlefield ;)

And on that note, I’d issue you a challenge...but you’d probably just say “No.” and shoot me in the chest...

I'd leave the outer half of the greaves clean to you can add studs or just leave them plain. The IVth is quite like the XIVth when it comes to trinkets and foppish decorative displays: nonexistent. That's one thing I give FW credit for with 30K Iron Warriors, they imagine them as very spartan... even the hazard stripes are few and far between. 

@Meltwater Iconoclast: I think you mean Nemac - Kneeman is one of the failed primarchs. No, I'd shoot you in the head as too many idiot Fists don't wear helmets :wink:

@Pearson73: I'll use Korvydae's head for my Forge Lord that will be based on another Iron Father terminator from FW.

@PowerHungryMonkey: It was fun until trying to pin the plastic BAC praetor plastic uppper shoulder plates to the Iron Father resin lower ones - the curvatures are different - much filing.

@OakRiver: They are Grandt Line 154 0.43" round rivet heads - MachinePriest shared that one with is on here years ago with his excellent Charcaradons. They do hex bolts too, and 153 rivet heads are small enough for gaunlet rivets (like MKII/IIIing a normal marine hand) - not that I can actually see things that small (barely manage with 154 thus so rough as can be seen). 156 rivets are large enough to do as bonding studs on contemptors, as shall be seen on the cortus I have planned based on a BAC.

gallery_27755_5863_80915.jpg

@DuskRaider: Outer half of lower greaves clean for hazard pattern like Perturabo, done opposite studding on thigh shields. Whilst listening to Angel Exterminatus a throw away line from Kroeger seems to give an indication as to what the hazard chevrons on pauldrons/helms etc are actually for - visual identification patterns.

The morning update, an edit shall follow for this afternoon with actual progress unless someone updates in the interim. Back at work on Monday with a new job, so progress will slow but as not shifts will be more conisstent than it has for over a year.

Edit: PM

Adding cables to head, hammer coming along.

gallery_27755_12410_79453.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

@OakRiver: They are Grandt Line 154 0.43" round rivet heads - MachinePriest shared that one with is on here years ago with his excellent Charcaradons. They do hex bolts too, and 153 rivet heads are small enough for gaunlet rivets (like MKII/IIIing a normal marine hand) - not that I can actually see things that small (barely manage with 154 thus so rough as can be seen). 156 rivets are large enough to do as bonding studs on contemptors, as shall be seen on the cortus I have planned based on a BAC.

Thank you. I've been looking for these to de-40K some pieces that I have, so this will help a lot!

@OakRiver: You are welcome. I was going to say as a US company you might find them easier to source than I did in the UK (I had to go to Creative Models, even various local model shops that are like Aladdin's caves didn't stock them). 

However they have been bought out but their website redirects to their new owners.

Very glad I bought about a half dozen packs of each size years ago.

@OakRiver: You are welcome. I was going to say as a US company you might find them easier to source than I did in the UK (I had to go to Creative Models, even various local model shops that are like Aladdin's caves didn't stock them). 

However they have been bought out but their website redirects to their new owners.

Very glad I bought about a half dozen packs of each size years ago.

I checked on Amazon but didn't find them, the manufacturer's website doesn't have an easy to use online shop, but I have found some online retailers that sell them. We do have one local shop that might stock them, so I'll check there first.

The Warsmith is looking fantastic! If I may make one small suggestion - because this is actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine: If you cut through the right leg exactly between the kneedpad and the armour plate above it, then rotate the lower leg inwards a bit, it makes the entire stance of those Cataphractii legs about 100% less wonkey and pidgeon toed, leading to a much more stable pose. It's something I have done twice using these legs, and it's a tweak I can only recommend!