@KrautScientist: Ta mate. I'll have a fiddle with a spare version and try those legs modified as everything is mostly dry pinned anyway.

@PowerHungryMonkey: Doh...I forgot to tack them on last time :)

gallery_27755_12410_229080.jpg

So...

1) Hammer heads filled in with green stuff for solid heavy duty hammer thwacking day.

2) Dry pinned metal servo-arm, dual pinned to stop twisting/rotating as happy with position.

3) Placeholder techno bit for cortex controller - I don't like the gothic arch thing on the praevian myself, so I'll come up with a techno something with Cawl bits.

4) Cheated over the mess with the waist cut by hiding it with mock fitted tubes - these will be done better and will be the last bit of his iron lung bionic.

5) Need to file down and fit that central plastron nice and snug and less jutting out, just tacked at the moment.

6) May fit something below the central chest plastron, like the round grill from various kits, a bit like a bigger version of what is in the centre of MKV NB 4+5+6 all sort of go togther.

7) Probably going to fit small bonding studs rivets around the rim of the gorget/head space for more detail.

8) Also the plugs/mechandrites at the bottom of shot will get fitted (somehow) around the rear for Battlesmith and I'll have them flow, so it adds movement like a cloak but is actually just them weaving about.

9) On the plastic Grey Knight hand I use to hold the hammer I need to fit some small barreled gizmos like the old metal BA captain (pre-Tycho) to be digital weapons, saves me adding studs too.

For now his placeholder pun name will be Vosforex Bhaum - Warsmith of the 88th Grand Company(?) - all the eights - 88 - it rhymes with hate (Legion bingo is a thing).

I do find the whole IW numbering/naming a bit odd - probably need to read book 3 a bit more carefully rather than being distracted by Raven Guard when trying to do so.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Great stuff with the Warsmith. A brilliant match for the IW aesthetic!

His right arm needs some work though, as currently the signature curved armour plates are rotated far too far back. Using the pictures of the resin Cataphractii and Cataphractii Praetor for reference will help you achieve the right range of motion :-)

Edited by Fenbain

@Doghouse/Kizzdougs/Pearson73/Chaplain Dosjetka: Thanks guys. I am enjoying myself immensely.

@PowerHungryMonkey: Ta, I am trying to use some design cues from Perturabo and if they are coming through (without looking like a clone) it is going in the right direction.

However...

@Fenbain: That is a very valid point and shows my lack of familiarity of HH models. I own the resin praetor and plastic cata termies etc and you are right, I have let the Iron Father arm just rotate to get the hammer where I want it and the lower built in shoulder plate is dictating an incorrect position. I'll need to ponder getting that corrected as I don't want to damage/destroy the resin power cables (and I don't like working with guitar wire for coiled and close looped cables due to the tension). I have rotated around as dry pinned as a test and it does make the shoulders seem more natural but obviously I lose the leaning on hammer stance.

I'll ponder overnight and fix tomorrow afternoon with some modelling time - there goes starting the cortus :wink:

Edit: Tomorrow morning aka now:

So, the shot of the loose rotation which revealed something else wrong with the right shoulder.

gallery_27755_12410_18218.jpg

So not only should it be locked BUT also had it too far out and not close in to the head cowling.

I'll need to detach the plastic upper plate anyway to cut free and rotate forward the lower resin plate that is part of the arm anyway, so when attaching it again I'll make sure it fits in snugly.

The locked shoulders do look correct and more betterer, and make him look more solid without being any bulkier. Time to find my smallest and finest/thinnest razorsaw blade.

Update this afternoon and if I am not precise and careful there will be blood and tetanus boosters ;)

Edited by Marius Perdo

So I decided I'd carefully cut out the lower plate, and then use a hairdryer on the stock kit resin up plate to get the curvature to match, and then put the plastic one back on top.

gallery_27755_12410_71142.jpg

It seems to have worked, just waiting for green stuff to cure, then I'll pin through and re-attach the top plate - tacked on at the moment.

gallery_27755_12410_55991.jpg

I'll have to put in some plastic tubes at the rear under the under plate but I'll wait till cured.

I am also thinning the wheel hub plate I was using as a plate on the servo arm as it was too thick.

My bits order is delayed so i haven't done anymore on the cortus.

I am going to look at some genestealer cultist aberrant sledges as thunder hammer heads, and start work on the forge lord with the second Iron Father kit I have.

@Fenbain: Ta, once the green stuff cures I can finish it off. The tack has physical volume which distorts positioning, it all fits quite snugly in reality.

So, wanted to see how Valthex's conversion beamer on the Iron Father - I will obviously convert more and he'll have a graviton gun - probably a thunder hammer too but held in the rotated position in post #558 above - and not quite so large as the Warsmiths. I'll drill his head out as well and put Korvydae's in as per post #538.

In a way doing the Warsmith has been research for the Forge Master.

gallery_27755_12410_106340.jpg

@Brother Mayhem: I'll put something different there, like with the Warsmith, still pondering. Was initially just curious about the conversion beamer.

Having had a play with the Iron father power axe I'll probably convert that to go in the Forge Lords right hand.

@PowerHungryMonkey: Ta, it was surprisingly ease to flip the mounting point around to attach it to the Iron Father (as right side on Iron father and left side on Valthex) - and the targeter is just a plastic one pinned on from a terminator. The C-beamer is double pinned to stop rotation (I like the slightly elevated position at rest as he is going to be shooting a graviton gun), through the bracket and into the socket with the same two pins - tiny bit of green stuff filling as resin is very easy to file to fit snugly.

gallery_27755_12410_58055.jpg

Shot showing double-pin for C-beamer, and what I intend to build the power axe out of. I'll use Grey Knight sword hand 85.

Note even though I have washed them twice the IF bits are still shiny, but have detail still (so not too much release agent) - so must still be sweating and curing. You'd think FW would have QC their production process by now. This is happening more frequently when I order from them over the past few years - more speed and less haste. Same with warping, they are popping out of the molds before fully set thus bending and warping.

Edit: The afternoon.

gallery_27755_12410_274967.jpg

Happy with axe and arm position but unfortunately the C-beamer is just a smidgeon too low (by about 1mm) and pushes into the upper shoulder plate. No biggy, I can detach the swapped position rod thing and push the gun up so there is a wee bit more clearance.

Still fiddling with the Warsmith, mostly around pinning and positioning.

Edit 2: As an aside it should be a no brainer to use the L&T challenge to keep me motivated.

Also I got the AT Warlord, Reaver, and 2 Warhounds box, and I have loads of old Epic 40k ruins and the original epic marines (with Proteus LRs, deimos rhinos, and MKVI marines) so I might do a small titan pledge of War Griffons and Iron Warriors (Loyalists) at Paramar.

Edit 3: Evening.

Whilst the HQs dried etc I started farting about with old FW stuff I stripped in Dettol years ago when I was more idiotic than I am now.

gallery_27755_12410_30467.jpg

These will be test models but I have decided even when bashing FW resin with BAC & BOP plastics I am going to make each a bit unique and not standard.

I have all my old Minotaur MKIIIs to draw upon, including the few left handers.

I like mixing marks, and whilst I will have a few pure MKIIIs and MKIVs, there will be a fair few blended for psuedo non-production MKV.

I haven't even worked out what to arm my tacticals with - as in extra chainsword/combat blades - which seems likely just for modelling. Or whether to have veterans.

I may just model what comes naturally.

Those chunky Umbras are destined mostly for Raven Guard.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Off tangent from both 30K and 40k is small but also very large 30k, or AT.

I bought these a few weeks ago:

gallery_27755_12410_115917.jpg

...and now we have not only a Heresy challenge, but also an AT one.

It is almost as if am I am haruspex...I'm not, but I'll be doing updates for these here too. I don't even really like titans, I preferred epic.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Been pottering with some tacticals, although as dry pinned to experiment or tac'd they could end up as anything.

gallery_27755_12410_224250.jpg

I'll be mashing up my old MKIII resins with new plastic and resin stuff. When put in warm water the resin softens and the spuerglued pin parts can be gently teased apart. I can try other parts then.

Note these are just experiments as I get used to newer (to me) kits and explore possibilities.

The packs from BAC and BOP need filling with green stuff so I can put pins in them for experimenting.

The IW shoulder pads will be for sergeants and veterans, I just wanted to see what they looked like.

@Pearson73/Chaplain Dosjetka: Ta, mostly just experimenting bar a couple, and even then due to angles you can't even see that my current fave is reaching for his chainsword.
@PowerHungryMonkey: Ta, I have been keeping that C-beamer from Valthex for years - it was going to go on a Marauder (White Scar) Techmarine on bike - glad I never did that so I could do this, slowly building his massive axe has been interesting.
@Reyner: Thanks, I am enjoying playing/thinking about each but at this rate of personalisation I'll have a 20 man squad built by this time next year :smile.:

I'll need to check the vow but if it is 3 units, and that includes HQs, I'll aim to do the Warsmith, the Forge Lord and a 10-man Tactical squad.

Doing somewhere between a half and two/thirds in heavily mashed up armour marks - or non-production MKV according to the books - is driving it's own background for the 88th.

Why and how led to pondering?

Have they been out of supply for decades like the 77th before Paramar?

Did they get hammered at Isstvan V (did they even fight there?), or since? Both? Are they this way as punishment, or serendipity and happenstance? Or a bit of both?

Who has developed the skill to make some fairly non-compatible marks work together with necessity being the mother of invention? When did they start experimenting? Have they trained their artificers?

Was it the Warsmith, the Forge Lord, both in tandem working as a team?

At an individual Legionary level what vagaries and limitations do they experience from this non-optimised armour? Working this out will keep me amused, especially the MKV/VI power packs on models with heavy duty MKIII components, especially legs. Where did they get the MKVI packs from? Incorrect shipping? Dead Raven Guard?

The books indicate Iron Warriors get redeployed as required (even as individuals), so squad, Company and Grand Battalion identity are not really quite as meaningful in an emotional, pride, or loyalty sense - so having them look ragtag and brought together for expediency works for me.

Alas no actual progress until the weekend (probably).

Edited by Marius Perdo

Got an hour tonight.

gallery_27755_12410_252517.jpg

Right side is a MKIII resin/plastic/resin/plastic parts alternate with Iron Hands helm and Space Marine Heroes Umbra to compare an almost identical stance old MKIV with Iron Warrior helm.

I wanted to see if bland stances can be made less banal with scenic bases and mixed armour. It seems to work.

Otherwise was curious how my very old breacher shield might look on a plastic/resin/plastic/resin MKIII - Okay but he'll be folded into the tactical squad anyway as another "pure" MKIII (or very nearly).

Started on a helmetless one using old resin MKIV legs and a MKIII chest. You can see me starting actual dings on that - I started on the MKII earlier (drawing sword) - it is something I have seen done by a frater and I think of it as Kizzdouging - like how I think of swapping bits on AOBR marines as Doghousing or adding Grandt Line rivets as bonding studs as MachinePriesting.

Waiting for an order from MasterCrafted with pyramidal spiked shoulderpads, a pyramidal spikes order from Blood and Skulls, and a couple of robot bodies from a bits shop for Cortusing BAC contemptors.

@Pearson73: Ta, I'll have a few doing something "interesting", like reaching for sword, pulling grenade pin, throwing grenades, swapping magazines etc. Probably 1 in 4 as a ratio.

My MasterCrafted order arrived.

Firstly I did this as cutting plastic square rod to try and make square pyramidal bonding spikes was not working, my eyesight is too poor.

Secondly I ordered too small shoulder pads but Ben noticed and mailed me unprompted to clarify and fixed my order - great service.

Thirdly, and the picture should show this, whilst great value the quality is extraordinary. Thus even better value.

gallery_27755_12410_189428.jpg

Can't wait to fiddle about with these and add them to the mix. Alas, not weekend so it will have to wait.