Love the way that dread is looking. For the whole tipping over thing - simple solution, something I do to all my models regardless to prevent them from tipping if I knock them mid game. I just glue a two-pence piece in the bottom. If you’re from the UK, at least. If you’re in the US, you might have to shill something a little bigger, maybe a quarter (it’s been a while since I was on that side of the pond) but either way the coin-in-base trick has worked wonders for me. It also adds a nice weight to the model during play too, makes it feel a little more substantial.

Went off on a little bit of a tangent there. Love the thread, love the model, especially the Warsmith. Conversion beamer looks funky too.

Thanks guys.

As for balance I do use 2 pences on 32mm but in this case it wasn't just mass, it just seemed too big as well as too heavy :)

6 weeks or so until vow time, doomed on the titan front (I just cannot get into building them, even reading Titandeath isn't helping).

Had an ongoing fight with Nurgle that I recently lost so not been near my Iron Warriors,

Then again Shadowspear looks great - the chaos stuff is great and I think will mash up nicely with Dark Vengeance stuff, but the Primaris stuff pelases me too.

I might set myself a goal of not buying it until I have my HH vow down.

Love the way that dread is looking. For the whole tipping over thing - simple solution, something I do to all my models regardless to prevent them from tipping if I knock them mid game. I just glue a two-pence piece in the bottom. If you’re from the UK, at least. If you’re in the US, you might have to shill something a little bigger, maybe a quarter (it’s been a while since I was on that side of the pond) but either way the coin-in-base trick has worked wonders for me. It also adds a nice weight to the model during play too, makes it feel a little more substantial.

As for balance I do use 2 pences on 32mm but in this case it wasn't just mass, it just seemed too big as well as too heavy :smile.:

You could probably get metal washers from your local DIY shop (Lowe's/Home Depot/etc). They're relatively cheap for a lot and FAR heavier than coins.

• 4 weeks later...

Well done nothing for weeks due to work.

So that'll be both vows failed :wink: I really can't get into titans, even after reading Titandeath.

I was very enthused from a modeling standpoint with my Iron Warriors but I prefer 8th edition rules, and every time I read the HH rules I sigh - especially as FW don't update their digital products and maintain them, I buy enhanced copies so I don't have to close and then open and read addendum/errata pdfs - one stop shop please.

However Shadowspear looked nice, I said no for weeks, then I bought it. No will.

The reason is the most fun I have had was back when I farted about with DV and chaos random bits and converting, and mashing DI Nurgle stuff with ETB and KNF stuff.

So I have Shadowspear (and Blackstone Fortress) a lot of DV stuff (and exalted champions), a box of new chaos space marines (and many older ones), I have ordered two havoc boxes and a termie box (and I have 3 old boxes) for next week - and some more bikers (have one box) and raptors (2 boxes and 1 warp talons built), a skull altar, a Noctolith Crown, a Wrath and Rapture (very cost effective with 25% off), 4 greater possessed from eBay (conversion fodder less than £4 each), another Shadowspear chaos space marine squad from ebay for converting (under £20 and also not hugely impressed with new MP box).

I'd love to look at the rules (whinge incoming) but whilst I have Vigilus Ablaze digital at midnight the free 2019 update hasn't been pushed so who knows what has changed and when we'll be allowed our freebie.

But a quick scan does suggest I will do Black Legion with lots of infantry (and I have Haarkon and Abbaddon arrived yesterday), and the Council of Traitors (extra Dark Apostle and Sorcerer get WT) and Bringers of Despair with Chosen of the Warmaster with Field Commander stratagems appeal.

Reading VA for the rules in there and noting things that interest me, and then I'll do a roll-call of all minis and get to know new sprues.

MP kit first impressions - well less spare heads and shoulders than I'd like but the main thing is the way the back plate torso is attached to many legs as a single piece so kit bashing is going to require part building, allowing to thoroughly dry, and then sawing apart.

So in a sort of research and preparation mode.

Oh, and I dug out the old defiler I part built way back, glad I didn't try and Nurglify it.

Inventory later today after head/tentacle/claw count.

Edited by Marius Perdo

• 5 months later...

Well, life happened.

However I recall JJ once said in WD that even if you get a little bit done a day or so, you will chip away at whatever it is you are doing.

The first thing is a very slow but cheap process - make weathering rust powders from actual rust.

Firstly cheap coffee filters:

gallery_27755_12410_334427.jpg

Note this is a slow burn bimbling aid to any number of projects - it'll be great for the Cities of Deadly Sector Necromundan Killing Mechanicus Teams terrain I built ages ago.

However I have and am working on models.

Off to the shops and then I'll post some of that.

Then jam/coffee jars with water and odd bits of ferrous metal off the street, nails from bits of wood from round the house/garden (a hanging basket wind accident provided much chain for example), and also steel wool is good and cheap. Add air and sunshine (greenhouse is good):

gallery_27755_12410_206713.jpg

Depending on the metal and conditions you get all sorts of Ferrous Oxide, this is a dark one I will use for worn steel (like manhole covers and the side of rails etc.).

gallery_27755_12410_39339.jpg

The next overarching tasks was 40mm scenic bases - I'd already got all the Series One models for that (32mm).

I did the same with Series 2:

gallery_27755_12410_232533.jpg

And some Space Hulk Blood Angels that were cheap on eBay to re-base but also study positioning etc.

By kit bashing both of these with multi-part plastic terminators (I have 35 un-built) and old recovered ones (about 50), sawn up AOBR termies (15), multi-part BA (I have 1 box so 5), multi-part Wolf Guard (2 boxes so 10), multi-part DW/Knights/Command (2 boxes so 10)/DV DW (15) I'll be able to do various future terminator projects for the rest of my life.

However the current project that I have been chipping away at is my Emperor's Blades - a Company made from Primaris:

There is a method to this, but I'll get to that last. Like my Death Guard I am enjoying bashing fixed pose models from DI (as well as KNF and Conquest) and ETB with their equivalent multi-part boxes. The base build is progressing on many.

gallery_27755_12410_294543.jpg

Still need to settle on which arm combination to use

However no massive scenic bases for the Redemptor, which is a bash of ETB and multi-part, for a more natural pose. So I am building one.

This will benefit from crushed re-bar which I get from bird feeders (that cross strut will be used to make rust)...

gallery_27755_12410_219437.jpg

...and collapsed fences etc. from car body repair mesh:

gallery_27755_12410_412551.jpg

This is the dread so far, really enjoying it, and looking forward to taking the spare ETB bits to bash with the multi-part kit to have another one looming the other way.

gallery_27755_12410_66023.jpg

gallery_27755_12410_245378.jpg

Nothing is finalised or glued as yet, so I can tweak positioning - I intend to flair out the power-fist arm to look like he is balancing like some termie models - this will make it look more natural - like a person in a suit rather than a robot.

Edited by Marius Perdo

The method is basically a simple Kanban with each unit card going left to right.

First time through will be base build.

Then back "To Do" for a finesse - remove mold lines, extra details like carved battle damage, attach relics, purity seals, grenades etc. - and fully embedded bases (cast sunk into cut out ring with money attach to bottom for weight) - then cycle back through.

Sort of like Sprints but not really as very slow and only me. But it does give some order and a sense of progression.

gallery_27755_12410_434609.jpg

The issues at the top are over-arching tasks, like get Season 2 models, cast bases, make rust etc.

More units to come into the fold when Incursors multi-part released, I'll bash them with multi-part Reivers - the sharp eyed with have noted a Infiltrator bash in the group shot above.

Anyway that is what little I have pottered away with over the past six months. I'll disappear now for another six :wink:

Edited by Marius Perdo

@PowerHungryMonkey: Ta. Regards IW they are still there in a box, if they ever do Lean rules for HH (like 8th) I'll dig them out. Just like my Vaylund Cal conversion for SoM ,if they (FW) ever redo Badab War or I decide to use non-Primaris marines for something retro when they are a thing of the past (my mate have pondered the future) - all this stuff is all carefully packed away and can resurface.

For now though I'll bimble with these - I just got to move the Reivers to the "Done" column of the Building Sprint.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Pottered some more, couldn't resist building the multi-part with ETB leg and arm as it was cluttering my desk.

gallery_27755_12410_319282.jpg

Still lots to do, I have flexible pins in the waists of both to change positioning, and various ideas for the second ones scenic base.

gallery_27755_12410_240040.jpg

The original has slipped slightly to his right, not an issue as I haven't pinned as yet, I'll do that by drilling up and from underneath through the base into the foot/ankle with a dremel hand drill...very, very carefully.

I'll use a similar base for the other one, but I have bits of an old trashed rhino (used to make the IW demolisher) that I'll use for flatish surface(s) for it to stand on (maybe, still pondering).

Edited by Marius Perdo

Fiddled with a Chaplain as I have wanted an aiming the huge Absolver bolt hand cannon pose since I first saw the model. Made me think of the old film Runaway.

gallery_27755_12410_506758.jpg

Be cleansed filthy as thou art! BOOM!

I'll obvious shorten the front part of the crozius but I'll go with the one I took from the plastic stock non-Calth chaplain (on the right). I found the others not quite there and the one that comes with the model looks like a copy of Fabius' evil walking cane to me (thus me messing about).

I won't put the halo on the backpack (that'll be far too useful elsewhere), I might put the skulls in reliquary "banner" from the older tactical squad in there but there are various skulls in a thing from older kits - I'll have a play. For example the top of the Grey Knights terminator force stave is knocking about from when I did my IW Forge Lord, loads of possibilities including none - we'll see.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Chazzmos: Ta, been meaning to for ages, there are likely many variations out there but it has gone better than expected.

@Reyner: Ta mate, however if I lose the plot and start grooming the backlog for sprints and trying to build Epics (that aren't purple) then I'd expect the chaplain to grant me the Emperor's absolution himself and there will be no more visual cards for me. Seriously easy kit to modify, just the left arm shoulder nub to saw off, and clip the styled vambraces off the forearms and attach to alternate Primaris arms - initially they were rare and precious to me - now just random excess bits like everything else becomes. I did mess about with him holding the crozius across his chest as if striking to the left with the absolver lowered.

I'll continue pottering with him today (going to add purity seals to his backpack like the 30th anniversary veteran Sergeant Intercessor) and do my intended apothecary conversion.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Did the Apothecary, still haven't been to the garage to find a backpack top for the chaplain, and started work on the flames for the Chapter's new Emperor's Blade (functionally like the Burning Blade), forged anew and ignited with a torch burning with flames taken from the Emperor's Sword when the Primarch saved the Chapter's home-world and brought so many new brothers with him.

Lots of work to do on that sword to get it looking like Roboutes.

gallery_27755_12410_6787.jpg

The Company will be the 5th, the Captain bearing the brand new relic to show the tie between the old and the new, the company initially formed of Awokened but with the passing of time (and inevitable casualties) the first battle company the Indoctrinated or Ascended from the reserve companies might serve in - for the Master of the Marches to carry the purifying and illuminating light of the Emperor, as well as the sword of his justice, back into the darkness [several pages of rambling hyberbole redacted]

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Custom Hero: Ta mate, but they do have the Character Keyword so character came built in :wink:

Sword flame sculpting is destroying the last of my eyesight - it was going well and I had one side done, was working on the other but pressed my finger on recently completed work. 

Started and finished again, letting cure before final fiddling/finessing, pictures tomorrow.

Never doing it again, but as you can only have one of each relic no worries there.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Work progresses, nearly there. I think the sword position on the left is best.

gallery_27755_12410_198034.jpg

As I intend to do at least PL50 of various Chapters (or Successors) due to variations in rules and play styles (like Marauders for White Scars, Sons of Medusa for Iron Hands, Knights of the Raven for Raven Guard etc.) I started planning a Crimson Fist Liberator Strike Force, mostly because I have so many Intercessors spare and I got nostalgic for the origins and the RTB001 box I got all those years ago...as well as having spare Primaris IF upgrade sprues and no intention to do IF. They are also a wee bit separate, like Black Templars.

Mostly just a mental/paper exercise at the moment but need to keep my brain occupied. Probably need to dig out blue post-it notes :wink:

Edited by Marius Perdo

Some really nice characters there. LOVE the Chaplain and the Apothecary is cool too. Captain is looking the Biz. Such simple conversions (aside from that fantastic sculpted flame mind you) but they really add so much to the characters and really personalise them

@PowerHungryMonkey: Thanks mate, I am finally getting there.

Well, I am on the home straight with the Emperor's Blades build, just need to do the Inceptors and infantry wise one of everything that isn't Vanguard/Phobos will be done - I have Shadowspear, just waiting for the wave with Incursor multi-parts in.

So the Characters and the Redemptor:

gallery_27755_12410_206601.jpg

And the line infantry so far:

gallery_27755_12410_259557.jpg

And the prevaricating over the icon for the chaplains backpack.

gallery_27755_12410_139861.jpg

In the end I went with the Grey Knights force rod top spare from when I did my IW Forge Lord - this was dangerous as it involved opening my IW boxes to find - I resisted.

I have an initial list in mind for my Crimson Fists to use up all my DI/KNF/ETB Intercessors with bolt rifles. I will convert a captain to be pointing a sword with his right hand and use the left arm in air with strap for a stalker to be the Duty's Burden.

Much farting about I found some old plastic assault marine right hand power swords and also various blades, I think I'll use the AOBR captain one (I have another spare for Black Templars)

gallery_27755_12410_261184.png

I also found a spare CF banner as I got two of the captain model when it came out, so if I ever fancy a Primaris Ancient I can.

I have 3 plastic IF Primaris upgrade sprues from the supremacy box so the plan is to convert with arm swaps etc. but I will do some left handers with bolt rifles. Having 6 squads of 5 Intercessors means I am going to have to really concentrate on interesting stories, part of rummaging in the IW box was to get all the left and right hands I have.

At this stage though I am just looking at instruction manuals and visualising what may be possible.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@PowerHungryMonkey: Yep, need to fill the Inquisitor symbol with green stuff as that is the one.

Inceptors are built but I don't like the flying stands, I'll need to make something out of old cities of death parapet pillars of something to make it look like they are landing and firing.

Also started work on a Primaris Captain conversion to be a Crimson Fist captain.

Not much to post on either as yet.

Edit; There is an erroneous statement in #623 "....infantry wise one of everything that isn't Vanguard/Phobos will be done" - untrue, Primaris Captain and Primaris Librarian for a start, own models, just not on the Kanban for the Emperor's Blades yet...maybe they should be on the Kantban...ahem.

Edited by Marius Perdo