From the Abyss - A Word Bearers Blog

• 1 month later...

“The old order changeth, yielding place to new.”

His world went black with a thunderous crack. The full weight of the power maul fell into his check plate, splintering cerulean ceramite and reinforced bone alike. The world was weightless for a moment, his body floating through the air before it all came crashing down with him up the cracked marble floor. Brother Quintus Varros returned from the waters of unconsciousness with a start, his eyes jolting open with the spark of agony that raced throughout his genetically modified form. Reaching up to his chest plate, he felt along the contours of where his golden aquilla design had once been now only to find it broken, thick jagged splinters of armour dug deep into his bleeding chest. It burned just to breath, each and every breath becoming heavier and heavier letting him know that his lungs were filling with his own blood. Heaving crimson life fluids into his helmet, the gurgling marine tried to regain his composure.

And then it came, the sound of heavy ceramite footfalls inching towards him in slow methodical precision. Within an instant his pain was forgotten and what remained of his broken body snapped into action with the pump of combat stimulants and pain repressors. He shifted to his right, catching the feint glimpse of his bolter laying next to him. He turned, extending out his right hand to snatch for it, some kind of measure to fight back against his hated foe.

Too late.

With the screaming bark of a warp-tainted bolter, Quintus watched as his arm exploded before his very eyes in a fantastic display of gore, sent reeling back only moments later as another burst of bolter fire battered along his pauldron guard and utterly defacing the sacred heraldry of the Ultramarines. Another attempt to raise himself up to his feet, yet his defiance was denied as a crimson foot set itself upon his broken chest and slammed his body back into the small crater of broken cobblestone. He hacked and heaved, trying to regain his breath, yet he paused, hearing the sudden audible drip of gore splattering across his face plate. His eyes shifted upwards, slowly staring up towards the blood smeared visage of a silver skull staring intently back at him. He snarled beneath his breath, muttering a soft prayer to the Emperor at such an unholy sight. Oh how fallen had their once kindred of the XVII become…

The beast of crimson and corroded silver stared upon him silently, almost as if examining him. And then it began to speak, yet no words formulated from it. The creature only made a mixture of wet gargling noises and rasping growls, a long blood-soaked tongue slithering from the deformed mess that protruded from beneath his mask.

‘You’ve strayed far from your flock, little one. . .’

The words hissed in the back of Quintus’ mind, like a knife piercing its way into his skull, he cringed with aching pain to simply listen. The Ultramarine growled through cracked lips, spitting his defiance through envenomed words when his arms had failed him. “Do your worst, fallen one… I will be at the Emperor’s side while you rot in damnation.. If you hate me and my brothers so, then get it over with.” But the beast’s head reeled backwards at that, thick gargling noises repeating in quick succession. Quintus could make nothing of this after, only then realizing with the sudden sting of his mind being invaded once more that the monster was laughing.

‘Hate you?... Oh we do not hate you, little one… No, not like our misguided brothers… No.. We love thee, more than any other son of the Corpse God. You showed us truth, the error of our mistake in believing in Gods.. You showed us the path to salvation..’

With that, the Word Bearer tossed his Power Maul to the side and let the ancient Crozius fall with a heavy thud. His knees gave and he dropped himself over the broken Ultramarine. With his one hand, his one good hand, the monster reached upon his belt and grasped the handle of a wicked Obsidian blade. He drew it before Quintus’ very eyes, the black metal glowing with a feint crimson pulse.

‘And your kind makes the most delectable offerings for the Netherborn…’

--------------------------------------------------------

Hail to the Ruined King and the Dead Word, brothers and sisters. I present to you Dark Disciple Zerrith, the 'Lipless Maw'

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000140_zpsa32755d4.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000141_zps96dd7779.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000142_zps89d5ef8e.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000138_zps60c6d3e2.jpg

Enjoy.

Excellant work! The silver bits could maybe use a darker brown or black wash, but otherwise top work on the conversion & painting. I love the old chaos lord meltagun, and especially the blood effects on the tongue. Is that the new 'blood for the blood god' effect paint?

Iron Within - Thanks man. I will take that as the highest compliment. :)

Malisteen - Yes, it the new 'Blood for the Blood God' Blood effects paint and I honestly just can't get enough from it. Its such a fun thing to use and i enjoy every drop of it.

BRAVO!! thumbsup.gif

I am beginning to amass bits and ideas for my Word Bearers army as well, and you have lit the fire of inspiration with this thread!! Thank you for that!! You are using a lot of bits in these beautiful conversions, but one in particular I have to know the origin of. The sword that Tor Val is wielding, where is that from??!!

I'll be anxiously watching this thread.

End of Line

Do I use alot of bitz? Oh Gods yes. I am, what on might call a bitz horder. Although not exactly an economical, I don't buy bitz on the internet if I want them. I just buy the Entire kit. That being said, I've purchased over the past decade and a half, enough boxes to create a sizable Chaos Warriors army and even a Small Vampire counts army.

Tor Val himself takes his parts from nearly 10 kits all together. The sword he has specifically though is from the Chaos Knights box. Warriors of Chaos are a Word Bearer's best friend. There's too many bitz and nice pieces for you to use.

Really glad to inspire others.

• 3 weeks later...

Hail to the Ruined King, my brothers. Its been a while, eh? Honestly, I must unfortunately say that a fine cocktail of being sick, an exhausting road trip, being sick again, and Christmas has kept me out of the loop and has sorely bested my ability to work on anything as of late, especially anything Warhammer.

Now, as a Christmas gift to myself I decided to splurge a little bit and bought myself the Cypher rules. Is it worth nearly $20 but I'm in the giving spirit so whatever. That being said, I absolutely love his rules. He's fun, fluffy, and quirky without going into the realm of broken. I've always been sort of on the fence with Cypher. I could never really tell if I liked him or not. Now I know that without a shadow of a doubt, (thank you Cypher fluff in the datasheet and preheresy Knight Dark Angels) I love him and I love the idea of making a small contingent of fallen to go with it.

Mind you that progress in general will be slow for a bit while longer. I'm just not feeling up to my best to work on anything for a long period of time, but in a flurry of inspiration, I had to make myself a Cypher model. I'll probably even be using him tonight for a small point 1750 point game with a friend tonight. He's not exactly like he is in the pictures, but I took some inspiration and tried to add my own little personal flare to it like I do with everything. Hope you like him.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20131227_111040_zps8f8fa7f2.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20131227_111104_zps9808a610.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20131227_111116_zpsbce0ec90.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20131227_111134_zps28c94dca.jpg

Enjoy.

I love the conversion noctus cornix!! The use of the DA robed bit is boss!! Are those the legs from the new SM Librarian??

I do the same thing you do. I buy kits for certain parts, then sit on the rest of the kit, trade off bits for others I need, or sell needed bits to good friends!!

End of Line

Thanks man, glad you like it. Actually, the legs are a combination. The cape that I tried to loosely turn into Cypher's open robe is from the Dark Vengeance Chaplain. The cape comes in one piece with the right leg (the one with the skull) attached to it. The left leg is from a running assault marine leg I cut then attached to it. I then filled in a rough crotch area with greenstuff and then covered it with bitz so no one can see how terrible it looks. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Hail to the Ruined King, my Brothers and Sisters, and consecrate yourselves in the ash-stained blood as the Dead Word is uttered from broken lips.

Evening, guys. It's been a while since I've actually had the chance to work on my own models aside from my Reavers (which you should keep your eyes peeled on In Memorium for in the next few days) However, today is the day I give to my own personal project and because you people still watch this, I feel obligated to continue whether I like it or not. So, in my slow and arduous quest to completely break away from my fear of painting, I've been trying to keep most of my free time in the Hobby that I can afford to painting. With that in mind, I've been sort of just painting what I like and just trying to ensure I enjoy myself. I was actually so enthralled by this newest one that as soon as I got about halfway through, I just couldn't stop... Hence why I'm posting this at 5:30 in the morning...

Surgery and Metaphysics are one in the same. . . Once you excise the decor, the chants, the faith, and the greed, you are left with but a core that each hold like twin edges of a sword. Like the scalpel, metaphysics are neither of devotion nor will.. They require precision, the most delicate hand to which symbols can be formed, the silvered-tongue by which false creeds and hollow shouts of devotion may be called..

But most importantly, they both require sacrifice.. No matter what you fawn over with the title of 'God', whether it be a benevolent deity or a pantheon formed of roiling miasma, each and every one demands apeasement. Such offerings may come in many forms... Crops, animals, treasured items, gifts and currencies... But there is only one possession to which all sky-gods accept with the most craven of greed, an offering that all others will spoil and sour in compare to such a treasured gift... Blood.

Just as you were to excise diseased flesh to stem the flow of cancer, blood and flesh must be paid to sate the thirst of a God. It can be the blood of your kin, of your enemies, or your own, but it will matter little for the flesh is all equal to an incorporeal creature. Your sacrifice may satisfy the hunger of your Golden Lord for a time, and perhaps great boons will be given in kind for your sign of devotion. However, this flesh will rot and whither, and once more your Deity will call upon you to appease their eternal hunger just as an infection will once more rise to taint the blood and stifle the senses.... It makes one wonder of Gods are not a cancer themselves...

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140127_044414_zpsc401ca6f.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140127_044414_zpsc401ca6f.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140127_044512_zpse1f7a6d6.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140127_044524_zpsb351be89.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140127_044556_zps2a5d9924.jpg

With a twisted blend of medicine and dark powers, Sorcerer Ascendant 'Homeophage' Tra'ger has grown to become one of the most reviled perverters of the human form in the Galaxy. Though his exploits fall pale in comparison to that of Fabius Bile, Tra'ger stands singular claim to more than a two thousand accounts of tampering with human genetics, leaving his work evident in the malformed husks and warp-infused abominations that bring destruction where he had once lay his sinister touch and the gibbering blood-stained cultists that scream his name with their dying breath.

As' haraan Tra'ger was a prodigy amongst the Apothecarian of the XVII Legion, a young and diligent child with a precision and aptitude for flesh-work the likes of which seen only by prodigies. However, even in his earliest years, Tra'ger's blunt disregard for the traditions and faith of the Legion found him little activity outside the apothecarian where he could master his craft. When the word of the true pantheon came to the Legion, the young Apothecary who had quickly grown bored in his idleness, had quickly embraced such an opportunity to reach new heights in his work.

Over centuries, he dabbled in the craft of the warp, creating sigils of blood upon the Apothecarian walls and carving runes in his own patients. With time, he came to realize the power that could be harnessed from the marriage of the warp and the flesh, fully devoting himself to creating masterful works of the corrupted flesh and the constant experimentation. With time, his powers and favor grew, and though no latent psychic powers laid within his dark soul, Tra'ger developed into a powerful sorcerer, capable of harnessing the flesh and bending the mind to his will.

Despite his scornful views upon faith and the traditions of his own Legion, Tra'ger found his blood-thirsty calling in the one God that would never love him in return. A Psycher and a man of medicine, the great King of Skulls, Khorne would find little love for the astute but equally blood-thirsty Tra'ger, who preferred the bloodletting of bleeding his patients dry in a sterilized cell rather than in the heat of battle, but like his kind of the XVII, Tra'ger seeks to offer homage to all Gods, even to He who would scorn the witch doctor.

Adapt at rituals and summonings that few amongst the Chapter can contest, it falls upon Tra'ger to create the summoning rituals and train young disciples in the art of tearing rifts in the warp. Because of his bitter and twisted love, the 'Homeophage' adorns himself with talismans and sigils of the Blood God so as to better ease the tides of the warp and sooth the scorn of the crimson hosts that he favors to call upon. More so is the Hell-forged blade that he wields in battle, an ancient artifact ripped from the grasping claws of a Blood Herald as an attempt to gain his Lord's affection, yet even still as he wields it in battle and rends soul and flesh assunder, the blade finds little use in the hands of a Sorcerer who often stands from afar and little favor from the Blood God.

Enjoy.

Excellent Fluff and Modelling! Tra'ger looks great! I wouldn't have believed that the cultist champion hand would work on a Marine, but you have proved that without a doubt!

for random heads try the fantasy chaos warrior 'forsaken' kit, the minis themselves are complete arse but the heads and arms are rather nice, have a look at the options n the kit and ill see if i have what you need in my bits box. 

for random heads try the fantasy chaos warrior 'forsaken' kit, the minis themselves are complete arse but the heads and arms are rather nice, have a look at the options n the kit and ill see if i have what you need in my bits box. 

I have always wanted to pick up the Forsaken kit ever since it came out. I know it gets alot of flak (much of it deserved) but those heads and arms (aswell as instant tabards) are simply too good to pass up and would work great with my Word Bearers. But Im not really willing to spend $50 just for a box of bits, atleast not in my current financial state. One day....

Thanks for all the comments guys. I really appreciate the support.

• 3 months later...

(I had originally closed this down a while back, but I've decided to reopen it for the ETL)

The Call... It is a curse, a plague upon our kind from origins unknown. This curse offers not death, but immortality, undeath eternal. You fall in battle again and again and again, yet each time you will rise once more and take up arms. But there is a price for this Undying life... In compensation for the stayed hand of death, your soul is eaten away, fragment by fragment. First you begin to lose your memories, then your emotions, then your drive, your goals, your dreams. Everything will be gone, consumed by the black embers that strangle your heart. Yet this curse has another purpose, a writhing, seething maggot that worms its way into your skull and your very instincts. It will drive you forward, dragging fragments and visions into your nightmarish dreams. Your very will to live will be twisted by some unseen force of fate, pushing and guiding you with a pain deep in your chest. It will coral you like cattle to the slaughter, throwing you to those you once called brothers.. enemies. You may fall, you may die, but it will never be the end. It will drive you onward again and again, throwing you into the jaws of hell so that your flesh might be rent apparent, your soul drained, and your very humanity stolen from you... It is meant to cull the weak, to drive those unfit to the brink of utter despair until they are turned into nothing more than shambling hollows that feast on the flesh of those who cannot defend themselves.. To those who are worthy? They are to be fattened, engorged with the souls of powerful daemons so that they might be served on a platter.. It is a bottomless pit that we are guided towards, a glutenous maw of fire and darkness... And I am to throw myself upon the pyre?... No... I will answer this call, as those who came before me in this endless cycle of war... But I will not kindle them with my soul... I have been bequeathed ash and ruin... and I will stamp out the cinders of the husk we call humanity...

I, Noctus Cornix, Chapter Master Allant, the Ruined King, The Crimson Monarch, Lord of the Abyss, do hereby swear my loyalty to the Call of the E TENEBRAE LUX, the third calamity to have stricken this galaxy with the pursuit of oblivion. With this vow, I do dedicate:

• 1 Blood Thirster - 300 (Exalted Reward, Greater Reward)
  • 1 Daemon Prince - 340 (Daemon of Slaanesh, Daemonic Flight, Warp-forged Armour, Exalted Reward, Greater Reward, Psyker Level 3)
  • Skulltaker - 145 (Juggernaut of Khorne)
  • 1 Herald of Khorne - 110 (Exalted Reward, Exalted Locus of Wrath)
  • 10 Bloodletters of Khorne - 155 (Bloodreaper, Greater Reward, Instrument of Chaos, Banner of Blood)
  • 10 Bloodletters of Khorne - 155 (Bloodreaper, Greater Reward, Instrument of Chaos, Banner of Blood)
  • 4 Bloodcrushers of Khorne - 235 (Bloodhunter, Greater Reward, Instrument of Chaos, Banner of Blood)
  • 1 Soul Grinder - 190 (Daemon of Khorne, Phlegm Bombardment, Warpsword)
  • 1 Soul Grinder - 190 (Daemon of Khorne, Phlegm Bombardment, Warpsword)
  • 1 Soul Grinder - 205 (Daemon of Nurgle, Phlegm Bombardment, Warpsword)

from Codex: Chaos Daemons of total value 2025 points on or before August 1st. Success will bring glory to the Chapter of the Ruined King, the Word Bearers Legion, and the ever-shifting flow of Chaos. Failure will bring shame and annihilation upon my warriors, and the eternal torment of my soul to the Neverborn.

I make this vow as a promise, a vision of what is to come, and so too do I offer the souls of those we slay at the genesis of our exodus to Khorne, the King of Skulls from whom all life blood flows, so that he might repay us in kind with his patronage and choke the skies with the crimson storms and the howls of hungry beasts…

What’s more, I do make this vow to my brothers, those of us who have known bitterness and sorrow for ten thousand years the likes of which no mortal man. I offer you the chance to join me, to fight under one banner once more, not driven by the Warmaster that desires only destruction and revenge, but one that seeks to bring a greater glory, an empire born from ashes of the ruined Imperium. Stand by me and I in turn will stand by you. For each Lord of Chaos who chooses to fight under my banner and dedicate their vow to my cause, I vow to you my brothers that I will pledge an additional unit to my following pledge and personally oversee each of your progress to ensure our ultimate victory! If this interests you, send me a PM and we shall stand together and bring ruin to the Imperium of Man!

Here are some pictures of my first vow, note that the Blood Letters towards the front are all painted by the previous own and will be promptly stripped before getting their new coat of paint.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140507_171830_zps29ed4853.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140507_171851_zpse17dcc38.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140507_171917_zpsc99c4895.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140507_171924_zps9406a18b.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140507_171903_zpsc057895d.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140507_171910_zpsb67f8228.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140507_171933_zps68983dd2.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140507_1719410_zps5d1b66b4.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140507_171948_zpsfad9cc5b.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140507_171955_zpsca7e2539.jpg

There's no way I can get around the fact that good ol' daemons were cooler.

Bloodletters were more bestial (even though I love the blades of the new ones) and Daemonettes were plain awesome

I wish you the best, for your vow. Try to don't fail out of lazyness like I did last year (even though Chaos Terminators are an A grade pain in the butt to paint).

Archived