Anyone leaving for the new SM codex?

Prot

Unfortunately for me, everyone in my neck of the woods is Powergamer McGee, so if there's a legitimate strategic cheese reason to run a Battle Brothers force org, I'll most likely be forced into it.

I just got into the hobby in total in November and have really, really, really enjoyed modeling and painting, but good lord the tabletop game is simply unfun as far as I know. All the long time players keep telling me "it gets better as your forces expand" but I'm 4000ish points into Dark Angels and I still get tabled every single game, running strategies based on advice I've gotten to boot.

Then again the jerkwads around here have likely been giving me poor advice on purpose so they can win more.

Luckily for me I just like the universe, so if I have a reason to field some other army I also think is cool, then, whee. I'm already starting an Ulthwé eldar list.

Where are you from?

Hell or Poland?

Shouldn't the title be "Who will be playing Fallen?" Ok just kidding there, since you can play any way you like. It's your hobby, it's your fun, you can do anything you like. Problem I have is, how people can say they are Dark Angles and then move on just because another codex is better. Do you really have to win when you are playing with plastic toy soldiers? When ever I ask this question, I never get, "I can play more fluffy with this codex or better represent how I believe DA should be with that codex." All I hear is, DA codex is sucks, and I can't win with them. So to me, it speaks about your character when you NEED to win with plastic toy soldiers.

That said, when I did play, I used the 4th edition DA codex. I was told to use the 5th edition SM codex, but I politely said no. While I didn't know how to play, I got tabled. But I got tabled as a Dark Angle player using a DA codex. I never switched to a better codex. If this is the case again, I will still be sticking with the DA codex. I will not be switching.

I will not begrudge anyone else for doing so, but I will joke and kid around that if it's a SM codex with DA minis, I will jest they are fallen. tongue.png

No... I gave up Codex: Space Marines because I really like what the Dark Angels are. Dark. In my mind, we are Pariahs, loners. The Grey Knights watch us. We do not ally. We have our agenda.

To seek redemption.

At all costs.

Alone.

No... I gave up Codex: Space Marines because I really like what the Dark Angels are. Dark. In my mind, we are Pariahs, loners. The Grey Knights watch us. We do not ally. We have our agenda.

To seek redemption.

At all costs.

Alone.

I like that answer, and very fitting for someone with Business Cat as his avatar. ;)

Some of my friends asked my why I would start up Dark Angels after all these years and I tell them I loved the fluff. It seems to be a love or hate thing though. I'm grinding through Gav Thorpe's Ravenwing but the codex is indeed great.

It looks like Black Legion is looking stinky so the only Space Marine chapter that really tempts me is Blood Ravens (video game) or Imperial Fists. But still, I love the uniqueness of some units like the Black Knights for instance. I cant say I play greenwing, but maybe that's why I'm not too tempted by the new Marine codex.

Long time DA player and it's not going to change. I've dabbled a couple of times with C:Sm and frankly I don't like using my DA marines as anything else. I might get some allies like Legion of the damned or other cool looking stuff.

I've been a DA player for ages and have used each of our books. I'm not planning to swap at this point, especially since I think our current Codex looks to be very good, with lots of nice, unique units and different pay-styles to Codex marines. So basically, I don't really see the need. Maybe allies one day if I want to try painting something different, but I'm pretty happy with what we've got.

I am not leaving. But I have oggled Imperial Fists for longtime. I made myself promise, I would make small IF detachment if Imperial Fists and their Founding chapters get their own Supplement / Codex... We'll see though in future.

I played dark angels when they had the old fourth edition codex for most of fifth. I don't think I'll change now.

The only thing that could possibly make me switch is the stormraven. I would love to do a flight of the Valkyrie list.

A real son of the Lion would never abandon his codex.

So we get an inferior codex? Well, its starting to be a tradition (3rd, 4th...).

As long as the sacred standards stand, courage until the end.

Virtus in Extremis.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130428230837/warhammer40k/images/6/6f/DA_Standard_Bearer2.jpg

Regarding the Mortis, is the pricing in IA2 still official, or is there an update somewhere I haven't been able to find?

There's been an update, and the pricing in the dead-tree version is incorrect until FW publishes the second edition of it.

You mean there are OTHER loyal chapters beside Dark Angels? Seriously?

Gasp!

I thought the rest were just heretics and got rolled into C: CSM...

Seriously, I don't even think my gaming groups would allow me not to play DA while carrying power armour models...(I do have a couple Xenos armies, but that doesn't belong here)...

Usually, when I show up for pick up games/tournaments, people who know me even just by name go something like:

- Bikes or terminators?

- Er...a bit of each, honestly

- 2 full squads of terminators, 2 x 6 BK, Belial and some filler for the rest of the list?

- Er...yes...this time its a pod with 5 veterans and flamers....

- Ok, lets see how turn 2 goes and maybe we can pack early

HOW ON EARTH am I going to tell these people that I no longer play DA?

Nah, too much hassle :P

I am not leaving. But I have oggled Imperial Fists for longtime. I made myself promise, I would make small IF detachment if Imperial Fists and their Founding chapters get their own Supplement / Codex... We'll see though in future.

I always liked the colour scheme for Imperial Fists. If they get supplement, I might pick up the codex and supplement if it's fun to play with and they have good fluff. If I do that, it's not because I don't like the DA codex, it's because I want to have fun painting that colour scheme and try something different then. 

I'll be getting the new C:SM, but that's because I have a lot of non-DA marines.  I'm not turning away from the Lion's cause.  In fact, my plan is likely to be having the Dark Angels or the Guardians of the Covenant working alongside a group of Crimson Fists.

Of course, with as many 'vanilla' Marines as I have, I will need the new codex just to be sure I use them properly, especially as allies.

Is it really that bad to switch? I mean it seems there is two topics that feel like they are looking down at people who do/will.

I'm seeing the new codex as a potential engine for more fluffy and fun play. to add more variety through allies or maybe through different builds we couldn't use before. I'll still use dark angels, yes, but sometimes I think people need to change the way they play. yes, there are a lot of viable and fun builds in the DA codex, but is it really heresy to want a little more?

with all respect Tiger9gamer, if im using codex marines im not playing with dark angels, regardless of what i call them or how i paint them, they are generic marines. if i use codex space wolves, they are space wolves whatever they are green or blue or purple with yellow spots with daggers or feathers on them or not.

i play dark angels, and for me that means using codex dark angels, for better or worse, not being constantly jumping boats looking for the new shining toys

that is of course my own opinion, so feel free to ignore it completly

Is it really that bad to switch? I mean it seems there is two topics that feel like they are looking down at people who do/will.

I'm seeing the new codex as a potential engine for more fluffy and fun play. to add more variety through allies or maybe through different builds we couldn't use before. I'll still use dark angels, yes, but sometimes I think people need to change the way they play. yes, there are a lot of viable and fun builds in the DA codex, but is it really heresy to want a little more?

No it's not bad to switch but for grown men and boys to say they need to switch so they can win with plastic toy soldiers seems kinda of silly if you ask me. How would you react if you herd girls arguing who is more powerfull Jacob or Edward?

Basically that is what it is. You are leaving Team Jacob for Team Edward while wearing fur, just because he has better powers. Sounds silly eh?

I think I have a battle company plus 1st and 2nd Company support's worth of Marines that have always been slated for the Stoneburners, and that will not change. However, I've always wanted to try some of the other Chapters, and the C:SM will be a good reason for me to do that. I've also gotten very burnt out on painting green, black, bronze and bone, so I'm trying out various schemes on other types of models. But I will never leave the ranks of the Unforgiven, and they will always be my main army.

However, an allied Nephillim being used as a Storm Talon, that I am probably going to be doing in a heartbeat. Already working up the conversion on it, and I eventually need those two new tanks. :D

Brother Dark Angel!  Brother Dark Angel!  I have tidings I must share with you!

DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA

What was that, Brother Ultramarine?  I was smiting heretics with my holy bolter.

Well done, Brother Dark Angel!  But, if you have a moment, I must share my tidings?

(Peers at the distant rubble) Well, the traitor trash seem to be laying low for now.  How fare you, Brother Ultramarine?

Excellently, Brother Dark Angel!  The new Codex Space Marines comes forth, and bestowed upon me a new Combat Tactics rule!  I can reroll all misses with my holy bolter now!

That's splendid, Brother Ultramarine!  But look, yonder heretics mass for a renewed attack.  Shall we employ our new rules against them?

A capital idea, Brother Dark Angel!  Let us bestow upon them the Emperor's wrath!

DAKKA(reroll)

A hit!  A most palpable hit!  Did you see, Brother Dark Angel?

Indeed I did, Brother Ultramarine!  Excellently done!

Now you, Brother Dark Angel!  I wouldn't want to hoard all the heretic smiting to myself!

Too kind of you, Brother Ultramarine.  Hmm, there's a small squad over there....

DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA

Botheration.  Only hit twice.  The Interrogator Chaplain is likely to assign me potato peeling penance for that.

Err...Brother Dark Angel?

DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA

Ahh, got the other three that time.  That's more like it.

Brother Dark Angel?

Yes, Brother Ultramarine?

Brother Dark Angel, how is it your are able to lay down such a torrent of fire?

Ah, well, you see yonder battle standard over there?  That is our holy Standard of Devastation, proximity to which allows me and my brethren to fire as many shots from our holy bolters as an assault cannon fires per turn.

Oh!  My goodness!  That's...that's quite impressive!

DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA

Eh, I suppose.  Was quite the rush the first time, but I've gotten quite accustomed to it.

Indeed, I suppose one might.  But you can't reroll your misses?

Not right now, no.

Stalwart battle brother, may the Emperor guide your aim!

Who was that, Brother Dark Angel?

One of our Librarians, Brother Ultramarine.  He's just cast Prescience on me.

And that does what, Brother Dark Angel?

Allows me to reroll misses, Brother Ultramarine.  With both shooting and in close combat.

DAKKADAKKADAKKA(reroll)DAKKA

Four hits!  That will teach those spineless miscreants!

So, you can fire four shots a turn, and reroll all misses?

Indeed it is so, Brother Ultramarine.

I feel most hard done by.  I believe I will have to complain to someone about the injustice.

Indeed you should, Brother Ultramarine.  Perhaps it will do you some good...next edition.

Thou art a jerk, Brother Dark Angel.

DAKKADAKKADAKKA(reroll)DAKKA

What's that, Brother Ultramarine?  I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!

:D That's very good Raziel!

Is it wrong to switch books? No, not really, provided both you and your opponent are happy for you to do so and you're both clear about what you're doing. As long as you're not mixing the two rulesets (allies aside) then it should be fine. In fact, a lot of players used C:SM instead of the previous DA Codex because there were some real power issues. Some of us stubbornly held on to Codex DA despite the difference in potency (appropriate, eh?).

What's different this time is the question of whether there is a real difference in power. Codex BA, DA and Codex: SM should all be viable on their own and should all play differently. C:SM should have the greatest flexibility, BA should be optimised for close combat and Codex DA should excel at putting early pressure on an opponent (not to mention terminators and bikes as troops). So long as each has their niche and they are viable, I'll be happy. I like the background and colour scheme of the DA, but I like the playstyle too. Ultimately, that's the main reason for me to stay.

Archived