Let The Galaxy Burn! Balefire Legion: 40k again!

thamier

My Maloghurst is no where near as intensive as your conversion, honestly yours is a complete resculpt and mine is a few parts swaps/minor sculpting. I imagine FW will eventually do a Chaos-ified version to match his artwork in the future so my take is on a Pre-Heresy Maloghurst.

gallery_81212_9961_1329403.jpg

i really like that model, its a cool maloghurst.

That's just awesome. Have you ever done a tutorial on how you work with greenstuff? If not it would be very much appreciated :D

Nemac

ill see what i can do, but its a slow process :)

I am very confident that the detailing on your Maloghurst will end up looking fantastic. If I can make one small suggesion, however: I really prefer the more static alignment of his head to the more dynamic pose you've used in the new mockup: I matched the artwork more closely, for one, and it also hints at the severity of his injuries: Maybe he has lost some mobility in his entire torso and something as simple as turning his head is no longer all that easy for him -- I really got a bit of a Darth Vader-vibe from the very first mockup, and I think it would fit the character (and the art) rather perfectly!

In any case, keep up the excellent work! :)

i got his legs set and the upper body tagged on, and took apicture before seeing your comment, but the head isent glued in yet.

the aim is to having him walk down the strp and leaning on the banner for support, hopefully it will give him the look of weight and a hint at his injuries.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/38C67C5A-4B32-433B-AD3F-36B06E22D5D5.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/51CA4A7F-1E1A-4648-A504-53ED48946289.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/A199FC79-7CD0-4696-B989-DA8D55D8527D.jpg

i also been wondering what weapons to give him.

his wargear says bolt pistol and boltgun and powersword, so for hos other aem im thinking a bolt pistol, the boltgun seems too heavy to be hefted onehanded and he dosent seem to be so close combat oriented so powersword might be okay in a scabbard, what do you all think?

It is looking great so far! I think the bolt pistol would be the best option, it would look like if he needs to lean on his banner to fire his bolt pistol. The power sword could look good in a scabbard hanging loosely at his side and the boltgun in the back or maybe even hanging from the shoulder like the Geigor model from the Prospero box...

I love this. Man, oh man, do I envy your sculpting skills.

Regarding his weaponry: how about a holstered bolt pistol and a scabbarded power sword, while his Boltgun is slung under his arm, with his hand resting on it - it would add to his 'old man' appearance. :tu:

Power cane?

I love that guy, great work on the torso. I'd buy a box just for that if it was available:)

powercane that certainly is a interesting idea but i think i'll pass on that ;)

Amazing conversion work so far, eager to see how this will turn out. I think the power sword in a scabbard is a good idea. Perhaps the boltgun could be in a sling under his arm?

i dont know how he will turn out yet, im a bit hesitant to add a boltgun since it tends to look very bulky, but dunno yet

Sculpting impressive as ever!

thanks gotta be good at something :D

It is looking great so far! I think the bolt pistol would be the best option, it would look like if he needs to lean on his banner to fire his bolt pistol. The power sword could look good in a scabbard hanging loosely at his side and the boltgun in the back or maybe even hanging from the shoulder like the Geigor model from the Prospero box...

if the boltgun wont make it too clumpy i might do that, will try some test mock ups of the diffrent ideas

It just gets better and better. Your nailing this one Thamier :tu:

Nemac

thanks im doing my best

I love this. Man, oh man, do I envy your sculpting skills.

Regarding his weaponry: how about a holstered bolt pistol and a scabbarded power sword, while his Boltgun is slung under his arm, with his hand resting on it - it would add to his 'old man' appearance. :tu:

again a great idea we will have to test them all.

now i been working a bit on the banner and did a few trys with a pen then using a ruler and a sons of horus transfer for the base i drew the design on a bit of paper, once i was happy with that i folded the design on the middle (i did a vertical line and a horizontal line making a cross then two more lines thrugh the middle before i added the eye) using the lines for the arrows and handy to fold the design along the line, i preceded to cut it out with a scalpel, i turned it and tapped it onto a bit of plastic card, then carefully traced it with the scalpel again

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/11D2A407-ADB4-4D89-B27F-B073DDD0E51C.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/A6B19312-021D-41C6-AF2B-4C8A0F32F308.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/82689463-C5DB-443C-BCD3-F51A9575007A.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/5685EA0A-0010-448B-B8FC-9004D2A9B509.jpg

I must say that the amount of effort you put in each model is astonishing and I'm sure that a key component to your great results. It is true that you take longer but you end up with some impressive figures. This is a clear example, cutting that eye, first in paper and then in plasticard, must have been a pain!

All of this said could you show how is this besides the stick for size comparison? The only thing on the pics to compare to are a couple of tools and it seems rather big to me, but I couldn't say yet.

I must say that the amount of effort you put in each model is astonishing and I'm sure that a key component to your great results. It is true that you take longer but you end up with some impressive figures. This is a clear example, cutting that eye, first in paper and then in plasticard, must have been a pain!

All of this said could you show how is this besides the stick for size comparison? The only thing on the pics to compare to are a couple of tools and it seems rather big to me, but I couldn't say yet.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/97671953-50A4-4E1D-9559-61296C49BFAE.jpg

Okay, I was wrong, it seems to be the right size :wink:

hehe should have shown something next to it right away, was just eager to share it, the first night when i worked on it i was so tired i actually threw it in the trash bin by mistake, and the next day when i wanted to work on it i couldet find it anywhere :P

update time and need some feedback, i been toying around with the shoulder plate and ot sure what is best so i took two pictures and would like to hear what you all think?

shoulder option 1

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/5542F87D-868C-4CC8-BEA2-F6BEF1B64AD7.jpg

and shoulder option 2

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/A45BEC72-ACCE-495E-8EB7-4ADD0E2BDE4A.jpg

Option two works better for me, as it gives him an even more rounded, hunchbacked look, which fits his background. And I think the head needs to be even more rigidly posed, like on your very first mockup of the character.

But in any case, he's coming along swimmingly! Excellent work! :)

Option two works better for me, as it gives him an even more rounded, hunchbacked look, which fits his background. And I think the head needs to be even more rigidly posed, like on your very first mockup of the character.

But in any case, he's coming along swimmingly! Excellent work! :)

thats one "vote" for option teo then, the head isent glued in it even lulled about between the two pictures, there isent much viggle room for it buthe can look a little from side to side, dont want him looking too much downwards ither he is too proud

thanks alot KS!

Edited by thamier

I also vote for option two, as Kraut said it gives a hunched look that fits him well. However I think that it may be too exagerated, while it is defenitely the right concept, I would tone it down a little bit. Let's say that I actually vote for a mix of the two options but closer to the second one :P...

I also vote for option two, as Kraut said it gives a hunched look that fits him well. However I think that it may be too exagerated, while it is defenitely the right concept, I would tone it down a little bit. Let's say that I actually vote for a mix of the two options but closer to the second one :P...

the thing is it dosent really fit anywhere between the two spots due to the backpack arm pose and the high gorget and cable, but can try and fiddle a bit with it.

hey everyone im gonna see if i can do a mock up of shoulder plate in between the two options, but thinking of next steps i been staring at the diffrent artwork and trying to make out the details, like the spikes on his elbows are there one or more? is it/ they in the middle? also been staring at the backpack at first i had thought of just taking a chaos backpack cutting the (not sure what to call them) "arms" from it and using those to for the four excaust thingys but now im not quite sure the shape will fit.

here is the pictures i been using as refrence for this project, making a model for the special character maloghurst the twisted for 30k sons of horus

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/74681E22-CBBE-4F21-A783-09DC29473CF0.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/40CC4C41-E22B-496B-9231-B1209669504C.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/28F5C99A-543A-4262-B079-CB7B8BD780BA.jpg

About thel spikes, I think there's a longer one on the midle of the elbow and two shorter ones at the sides, but there might be a single short one outwards, as having a spike in the interior side of your elbow doesn't sound like a good idea.

About the backpack, from what I see in the second image it seems to have four vents but strangely arranged, it is like if it was a normal loyalist backpack with no "arms" as you called them but from those initial vents sprout two more, making it look like if it had arms but actually having four vents. That is my interpretation at least but without any artwork of him backwards or from the side it's difficult to tell... To model that anyways I would use a loyalist (or one from BaC) backpack and two vents from another one, then cut part of the sphere that surrounds them but without touching the central circle ang glue them together. After that greenstuff and string cables conecting everything and reinforcing the "twisted" look.

Hope that it helps!

About thel spikes, I think there's a longer one on the midle of the elbow and two shorter ones at the sides, but there might be a single short one outwards, as having a spike in the interior side of your elbow doesn't sound like a good idea.

About the backpack, from what I see in the second image it seems to have four vents but strangely arranged, it is like if it was a normal loyalist backpack with no "arms" as you called them but from those initial vents sprout two more, making it look like if it had arms but actually having four vents. That is my interpretation at least but without any artwork of him backwards or from the side it's difficult to tell... To model that anyways I would use a loyalist (or one from BaC) backpack and two vents from another one, then cut part of the sphere that surrounds them but without touching the central circle ang glue them together. After that greenstuff and string cables conecting everything and reinforcing the "twisted" look.

Hope that it helps!

you are great traitor, you are part of this project now, about the elbow spikes i think you are right, not sure about the on the interior side, if inshoukd skip it cause uts not very practical or add it because its in the artwork. im sure the backpack have four vents bit also looks like they are extended out on "arms" i looked at the 3rd artwork zoomed in but how to make it that is the tricky part, please have another look and let me know what you think, the four round vents are visible but how are they attached?

Amazing work on the chaos star! I'm not too sure about how the vents are supposed to be attached to the backpack cause in the second artwork it looks to me like two thick arms with 4 vents, but on the third artwork it looks like four separate arms instead. Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Amazing work on the chaos star! I'm not too sure about how the vents are supposed to be attached to the backpack cause in the second artwork it looks to me like two thick arms with 4 vents, but on the third artwork it looks like four separate arms instead. Looking forward to seeing more progress!

thanks, the backpack is turnong out to be the hardest part so far, im currently mutilating backpacks and it hurts cause they could have been used to make chaos marines, also not sure if it will work and dont want the backpacks to have "died i vain" and just end up as scrap.

i tryed a mock up and i am very uncertain so some feedback is really appreciated

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/3E92401C-0B50-41B4-A42D-2B75631F7FDB.jpg