Vazzy's Big Heresy Thread-Word Bearer Test Scheme 4/7/16

Vazzy

Ok guys, I had this topic ages ago, with bad pictures and weak background. The 129th has come a long way as y'all will see. We'll start off with a bit of background.

" A specialized long term siege company, The Ultramarines 129th Company(colloquially known as "The Hammers of Tallassar" ) are most often deployed in the theaters of war where advance has ground to a halt. Renowned Siege Breakers, the 129th deploy many anti-armor and Anti fortification weapons, with laser Destroyer arrays and Breacher teams a common occurrence throughout the company. Interestingly enough, the 129th rarely leaves heavy damage behind, preferring quick methodical sallies to penetrate enemy defenses over the grinding slogs so common among their cousins the Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists. Many times an enemy arises to see Captain Fidelitas leading an armored spearhead of Land raiders at their wall, and then realizing Storm eagles are deploying troops within the city as scouts have sabotaged key emplacements.

Led by Captain Luciel Fidelitas, 129th Company or, the Twelfth chapter, Ninth company, the 129th has accumulated many accolades while on Crusade in the Eastern fringe. A rambunctious lot, The company is full of less "Orthodox" marines who would be more at home among legions like the Raven Guard or Alpha Legion. Despite this, the marines are highly disciplined warriors whose ability to minimize civilian casualties, while not unexpected from the XIII, is admirable. The 129th is also one of the few Companies to be on cordial relations withe Legio XVII, with Fidelitas and one of their Captains sworn Blood Brothers after the Erebor Compliance that brought the 129th to the Brink of Destruction. Curiously enough, the Company has an attached unit of Evocati at the Request of Evocatus Sergeant Vorenus.

The Erebor Compliance
During the height of the Crusade, the 129th company under Captain Fidelitas found themselves cut off from support and surrounded by the xenos form known as the Eldar. The Company's Flagship "Libertas Reginam" vomited cries for aid into the void, whilst the "Hammers of Tallassar" were ground into dust on the Maiden world. Surrounded on all sides and engaged in the protracted warfare the company excelled at defeating, all seemed lost, until the the Sons of Colchis screamed into the atmosphere upon pinions of light, and the wails of drop pods. Together, The XVII and the XIII legion fought their way out, with Fidelitas and Allant,the Lord of The Ruined King slaying the towering wraith construct at the core of the Eldar forces.

As with all Legion Forces, the XIII was recalled to Calth in the waning days of the crusade. They are currently stationed at the Delras Muster with the 234th Talassar Guard.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7388/9511965711_bf55527da9_c.jpg

2013-08-14 08.25.44 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

Luciel Fidelitas and Marcus Duro (Captain and First Spear of the 129th)

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2838/9511928893_6e7f8f97e0_c.jpg
2013-08-14 08.16.35 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

1st Squad, 1st Detachment (Rufus, Decius, Metellus, Mercutio, Veteran Sergeant Orphas)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7332/9511931417_7d023dbb20_c.jpg
2013-08-14 08.15.43 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

1st Squad, 2nd Detachment( Romeo, Detachment Leader Rius, Altarion, Venatus, and Scipio)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7423/9514763604_277979a48d_c.jpg
2013-08-14 08.14.41 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

1st Squad, 3rd Detachment (Detachment Leader Augustus "The Swordsman", Gaius "The Marked", Ferris, Hadven, Cato)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5504/9514761732_475b23d290_c.jpg
2013-08-14 08.23.25 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

1st Squad, 4th Detachment (Remulus, Oreias, Detachment Leader Quintus, Donar

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/9511978777_c3c7dd6d7f_c.jpg
2013-08-14 08.13.21 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2830/9514715198_2465d15ded_c.jpg
2013-08-14 08.13.06 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2879/9511977075_cbb26db0be_c.jpg
2013-08-14 08.13.37 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

Command Achilles "Invictus" Leader of Land Raider Squadron Ferrous

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5486/9514748668_678fb875e0_c.jpg
2013-08-14 08.27.50 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

Rapier Carriages "Destro" and "Invigilata" *Note, Graviton Cannon Chassis is not in document, as it is still being worked upon by Astartes Designation 23356u3 "Orfeos"

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5505/9514722154_aae403f3fa_c.jpg
2013-08-14 08.26.16 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

Venerable Kratos, serves with Ancient Taurus' Dreadnaught claw

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3799/9514744330_e80259180c_c.jpg
2013-08-14 08.29.42 by vazzy2012, on Flickr

Tenth Squad, First Detachment (Boros, Argo, Meros, Tamso, Sergeant Arias)

More tomorrow gentlemen! For now, what do you think?

I like it smile.png I need to come to Texas and crack some skulls

I'll host it man. But appreciate it. This is only 1/5th of the whole force. The "Opera Reginam", My land raider, phobos, and many other goodies are missing still.

Ohh believe me I'm needing to visit America I need to go to boston first and foremost then travel down to NYC then Philly then pop in and have an argument with kol shoot over to Texas to all you boys then up to LA San Fran and up into the wild white wonder that is Canada. The misses wants to move to Canada so one day ill be a couple 100k km closer

• 2 weeks later...

Blah Blah Blah, Threadomancy etc etc. Having finally settles in at College, I can now get back to work. Sorry gents.

So, Here's Fidelitas' honor guard also known as "The Blades"

(Corvin, Argus, and Veris)

(Caligula) Jeez, Caligula is a hideous mess, Apologies gentlemen.

(Ancient Glaber) His banner represents one of the foul Xenos species encountered on the eastern fringe. 

photo by vazzy2012, on Flickr

(Brother Moloch, Keeper of the Keys, Terran Veteran)

"Sable armor, ivory robes. The winged sword, a blood red, was displayed boldly upon their shoulders. The Angels of Caliban had arrived in Ultramar, and the 129th company had been forced to greet their brooding cousins."

I've added a small contingent of Dark Angels to my army, with an eventual branch out into:

9x Legion Jetbikes (all Arthurian knights)

5x Terminator squad (Deathwing Knights box) 

1x ten man Legion tactical squad

1x 5 man veteran squad

And Company Master Artur (Sammael)

It's not threadromancy if you're updating the thread biggrin.png

Now then, on to the C&C. Brace yourself.

There's a lot of room for improvement here. First and foremost, it looks like you need to thin your paints. The blue is very thick in some areas, for instance. The texture looks a bit rough on the FW pieces in particular- are you cleaning off the models before you paint? Resin comes with a bunch of nasty stuff on it to keep the resin from sticking to the mold. On the same note, how exactly are you priming these guys?

Brush control is the other issue. There are a lot of simple mistakes that could be easily avoided, mostly the old "coloring outside the lines" issue. For instance, the blue on the leg of the hammer vet bleeds over into the cloak by a considerable margin. Your freehanding could also use some good practice. Fine details like names on shoulderpad scripts are tricky, and take a lot of time. But an area as big and flat as the front-left panel on the Landraider, you can afford to take your time. The XIII and the script beneath it look very rushed, when you take that into consideration, and especially when you look at the much finer detail you went into on the opposite panel's little shield design. You must learn patience, young padowan Neophyte. Even the basing will look twice as good if you take the time to drybrush on a lighter gray and check for spots where the cork is showing through.

Yet some models have smooth matte coats and good highlights, the gun emplacement on the right and the blue base for the Landraider, for example, which makes it all kind of confusing. Unless of course you're using a spray can for the base coat, which would explain a lot in terms of the smooth surface.

Anyway, to break all that down;

-prep models

-thin paints

-patience

-control

-practice

-more patience

-more practice

-and more practice

That's all I got smile.png Much luck to your continuing endeavors thumbsup.gif

On the Dark Angel expansion, I've done enough Templars to know black white and red like the back of my hand, so feel free to ask for any specific advice on painting them. Even if they are treasonous little jerks. :D

Naw, it's all brushwork. Trust me Firepower, I'm not happy with some of the models. Not happy at all. The honor guard guys are from about 8? months back. The Raider's gotten a redux on that side panel since the photos, and a lot of of the FW stuff(particularly the MK IV I am unsatisfied with.) Hence the reason they're being phased out slowly. Appreciate it though, and I'm going to cop out and say they look better in person as well

Edit: Looking at the Honor guard again is painful, because everytime I look it seems worse and worse. Sigh, time to redo em.

Edit two: A lot of the FW stuff may uhh, been sourced from less than respectable people which may have an effect.

Second attempts count as practice smile.png

As do third attempts, and fourth, and fifth...

I've left a long string of crappy looking models in my wake over the years, and I've stripped enough that I put a few little poles on blank bases... tongue.png

Practice makes perfect I suppose. My breacher marines(most recent) look much, much better. Consistent highlighting, no splashes, all the flaws listed are lacking there. Upon going home for labor day I'll post some up. How was the DA?

The DA is better, but has some problems of its own.  Specifically, it's lacking a lot of needed highlights.

Black is actually deceptively hard to paint well.  I use a two step highlighting method:

First, a wider highlight of 50:50 black and Codex Gray (or whatever the hell GW calls them now)

Then, a much thinner highlight of pure Codex Gray right on the edges.  Afterwards, you can take plain black and 'push' the first highlight towards the edges, until the two highlights are nice and clean and narrow.

It wouldn't hurt to give the plasma coils a very light drybrushing of a lighter green.

It shouldn't be too hard with some practice, but it is a bit time consuming.  But then, you also save time by not having to paint on a basecoat.  

You can look at my Templar blog to see how it works.  The link is in my sig.

Archived