The Golden Hands/ Hoardkeepers

Teetengee

Perhaps a bastard child of the stories of King Midas and the search for Eldorado? This could even be the story of the Chapter Master (or whatevs the heretics call it), in the many raids carried out by the Hoardkeepers rumours of a daemonic artefact that turns whatever he touches into gold spreads amongst. He embarks on a quest to find it, believing that if he sufficiently appeases the God of Indulgence he will be gifted with the whereabouts of this fabled artefact. He carries on with his quest, until one day he obtains daemonhood but he still isn't enlightened on the location of the artefact so his quest continues without end.

It could be the artefact doesn't exist, he was just spurred on by intense greed and lust for gold from the rumours of his underlings.

Just my thoughts, if it seems ludicrous feel free to make it more reasonable.

I like it, but I also like how the betrayal has occurred so far. I think I will work it into the fluff of some captain. Although, I think I shall have Slaanesh promise that "whoever leads the band that brings me this artifact shall be granted daemonhood," unfortunately the item doesn't really exist and the band are constantly backstabbing and sabatoging each other as they blame each other for the failure to find it, also so that they can be the leader when the object is in fact found. (Perhaps it was tzeentch in the form of slaanesh that did it to them.)

It could be a lie implanted by the Alpha Legion tongue.png

On a serious note though, I like that idea. I think infighting furthers the war bands lust for gold, as in almost all cases of greed portrayed in novels and such it leads to people going to extreme lengths to keep the wealth to themselves.

I totally intend for the only person in the chapter that still can control them as a unit to be Daedalus (perhaps through some link created by the original cursed gold). When away from him, infighting is rank and rampant, except when taking battle. The main reason they work together during battle (except perhaps for some backstabbing at the very end) is that you may only get one chance to take the gold from the enemy, you have many to take it from a friend. (Additionally, some of their training and psych indoctrination still holds, in order to maintain 'some' semblance of discipline.)

No worries, and I completely agree on the other shinies and the light marines. (In fact I have done some silver filigree on the one guy I have painted for them.) I just haven't had a good chance to work it into the fluff.

• 1 year later...

HERE is what the first post looked like as of 18/08/2015:

Preamble: So I am new to the Liber and I have a very complex DIY that I don't want to do until I am more comfortable with the whole scenario. This is going to be an experiment in DIYing with NOT that chapter. That is not to say I don't plan on putting effort into this or that I don't care; I merely want people to understand that this chapter (the Golden Hands/ Hoardkeepers) is intended to rely heavily on community input as I only have a basic framework of an idea in mind. Since the chapter is a relatively recent idea I am not particularly attached to any given point just the feel as a whole. As such critique away but please be specific with criticism, (I don't deal well with crushing vagueness, it sort of sucks my will to write). Also I have yet to figure out how I want this formatted so I will be not using the full IA formats as of right now, but plan to in the future.

As Octavulg mentioned a good Index Traitorus is hard because it basically needs two good index astartes in the space of one, that in mind I am going to try, so here it goes.

Hoardkeepers, the knights of avarice.

Prev: Golden Hands

Primogenitor: Iron Hands

Founding: Undecided

Homeworld: Phrygus (Destroyed) now fleet based

When Phrygus was brought into the Imperial Fold its sun god was supplanted by the Emperor. It was simple enough to get them to accept the Emperor’s Light. Their devotions often came in the form of golden statuettes and gold plated engravings. These were given in tribute to the sun when those who lived in the sky rode down in their chariots (imperial tithe fleets). Sometimes these chariots were piloted by gleaming warriors who demanded the brightest young sons as tribute rather than the brightest of gold. These individuals would be taken by the Golden Hands to their castle in the sky for induction in the chapter, a large fortress monastery kept alive by ancient suspensor technology.

Unlike the Iron Hands, the Golden Hands were primarily organized as a codex chapter (10 companies, Terminators fielded separately from tacticals, etc.). Like the Iron Hands, they engaged in rituals of bionic replacement. Additionally, they took to seeing themselves as living tributes coating their bionics and armor in gold as a devotion to their god.

Because their sector was rich in raw materials of value, the chapter itself soon found that many rogue traders wished to do business in their domain. The chapter would often lend ships or materiel to traders in return for a percentage of their hauls. These funds were used to keep the chapter well equipped even at a large distance from the nearest forge world.

After one such mission, a rogue trader by the name of Varus refused to give the tribute that was demanded of him. Instead he opened fire on the ship sent to retrieve it. Chapter Master Aur was about to send the ships to destroy the foolish trader, but First Captain Daedalus convinced him to board the ships instead to discover what Varus had found that he would commit treason to keep out of their hands. Aur relented and allowed Daedalus to lead the raid. On the ship they found Varus and the dead men of his crew. He stood on a vast pile of gold and fought to his last breath against the invading marines. After searching the ships for something of more interest without avail, Daedalus took anything of value back to the keep and destroyed the trader’s fleet in case they had missed something that they would regret falling to the wrong hands.

They didn’t know that the gold had been cursed by Slaanesh. Slowly they became corrupt. At first it manifested in small ways. Marines began to add more and more gold to their armor, fine filigree and dedications to the Emperor. The sought more and more resources to build greater and greater tributes. Eventually they stripped their home planet, and then their sector of all its precious metals. Their avarice grew and grew.

Daedalus lead this downfall, being the first to be exposed, and even long before prone to losing himself in the reflections common in the Golden Hands’ glorious keep. Eventually, this avarice lead to him failing a mission. His target escaped when Daedalus ordered his men to claim an artifact for the chapter rather than just destroy the area as they had been instructed. Daedalus, heard the admonitions echo in his head louder and louder before they suddenly fell silent and a new voice, seductive and warm said to him, “Kill the fool, you know what is best for your men, what is best for you.” Daedalus stepped forward with an apology on his lips and murder in his hands to slay his master Aur. Daedalus then sent an emergency message to those in the chapter of power he knew he couldn’t turn. “Meet Aur on his personal ship. Mission is of utmost importance.” Daedalus sabatoged the ship to let it explode leaving enough time for the marines on board to realize his betrayal. Many of the Golden Hands had already been similarily corrupted by the whispers of Slaanesh and turning the chapter to the worship of chaos and purging the loyalist remainder took the lesser part of a fortnight. From that point on they were the Hoardkeepers, seeking out treasure wherever it might be found and pausing from this blood soaked avarice only to lose themselves in their own magnificent reflections beaming back a thousand fold from their piles of gold.

Some of the more heinous deeds enacted early on by the Hoardkeepers were known collectively as the Shrine Crusades. Daedalus lead his newly formed warband in the ransacking of 6 by 6 by 6 imperial shrine worlds. They stripped each of these worlds of precious metals and all of their icons. These were poured into great vats alongside screaming imperial citizens and melted down. Yet even this insult was exceeded further. A great statue of Slaanesh alongside hundreds of attendant daemons were forged from this metal on the last of the shrine worlds they had stripped. After the great display had been set up one citizen from each world the Hoardkeepers had ransacked was sacrificed. At the conclusion of this foul ritual the statues were possesed by the daemons of Slaanesh. The Hoardkeepers turned out their remaining prisoners and left to watch from orbit as the planet was consumed by these golden daemons. At the high point of the planet simply ceased to exist, plunged into the warp through the countless tears created by such blasphemies. In return for such a beautiful act of violation, Daedalus was transformed by Slaanesh into a great winged nightmare, often found laying on the gold that had first sealed his doom.

As for the Hoardkeepers as a whole, they are often found fighting in small groups attached to many warbands, from which they demand the highest price. Few are the tasks whose possible rewards are incentive enough to cause the chapter to travel in force, as much gold indeed is needed to prevent backstabbing amongst such a large group of selfish men. Only the Daemon Prince Daedalus seems to demand any larger loyalty from them, perhaps through some magic worked by the gold he first stole.

Weapons/Tactics:

The Golden Hands preferred close quarters fighting due to the large numbers of raiding actions they were often tasked with. Also they tended to fight in independent groups spread throughout their sector rather than as a concentrated whole. This meant that many brothers would often choose to use a flamer or a chainsword alongside a trusty bolt pistol rather than the bolter.

When they fell to Slaanesh, the Hoardkeepers coated many of these weapons with polished gold in their desire to seek out ever more optical sensation, Some of the flamers were modified by the power of Slaanesh to shoot, instead of flame, molten gold. Many of the statues found in the halls of the Hoardkeepers are those of running men.

The hoardkeepers still tend to fight in small groups, but now it is more out of greed than tactical necessity. Taking as few men as possible to complete the task means fewer with which to split the haul.

• 4 weeks later...

given their fixation with metals, gold (i laaarv goooooold) is there the possibility of a necron/living-metal tie in?

I would love some assistance on my Hoardkeepers, I have finally put up a new version, but I feel that the description of their leader Daedalus lacks subtlety. Also I would love to hear people's thoughts on them since they are a Slaanesh chapter that doesn't involve sex, drugs, or rock and roll.

i thought it was an interesting tangent to take, using greed as their main vice.

it reads fine.

[edit: re next post, thought it might be implying that. very good.]

given their fixation with metals, gold (i laaarv goooooold) is there the possibility of a necron/living-metal tie in?

I would love some assistance on my Hoardkeepers, I have finally put up a new version, but I feel that the description of their leader Daedalus lacks subtlety. Also I would love to hear people's thoughts on them since they are a Slaanesh chapter that doesn't involve sex, drugs, or rock and roll.

i thought it was an interesting tangent to take, using greed as their main avarice.

it reads fine.

Thanks,

also, I tried to imply that some of the xenos they fought were likely Necron (variants) but purposefully left it a little vague.

Archived