Help of the Lantinate variety

Honda

For those of you with proper schooling in Latin, would "Venator Angelis" properly translate to "Hunter of Angels" or "Angel Hunter"?

Thank you in advance!

Going off my very rusty and somewhat bad A level Latin, and bearing in mind Latin is very rigid and context bound I think if you're trying to get 'Hunter of Angels' you would need Venatorum Angelorum. I could of course be completely wrong but I hope this helps regardless.

Hunter is the subject, so it should always stay nominative singular at "Venator". I *think* you can translate the genitive like that, where it's really an adjective (almost direct object) - not a possessive of the angel. Also, I believe "angelis" is singular.

edit: I'm wrong above. Google's latin translate (that I've never seen before) is telling me, for Hunter of Angels, you want "Venator Angeli". But I can't figure out why that works. Granted my Latin is incredibly rusty, but "angeli" is genitive or locative singular or nominative plural.

I give up. Really, most of them work well enough. :P

• 4 months later...

Back again to get me sum moar latin. :)

I'm starting a new project, twins to be specific, and I'd like to name one "Beast Killer" and the other "Dragon Slayer" in latin.

Would those who are more Latinate inclined be willing to help out a brother in need?

Many thanx in advance.

It's been a few years so take this with a pinch of salt

This depends on if you want the dragon/beast to be plural or singular.

Dragon would be draconis (sg) or draconum (pl). Don't really know where the difference between killer and slayer is in terms of meaning being german myself, apart from the latter being very popular with the metal crowd. So I'll go with 'murderer' which gives you a few options in latin (can't remember exactly what is the most neutral or fitting in this context - maybe some are just older than the others - so I'll just go with chosing randomly). Executioner would be carnifex, which is kind of weird to use in a 40k context since it's already kinda "taken" by the Tyranids.

So that would give you the choice between

Draconis percussor / interfector / interemptor / peremptor - Murderer of a/the dragon/snake

Draconum percussor / interfector / interemptor / peremptor - Murderer of dragons/snakes

Just pick one of the words for murderer.

Same goes for beast: bestiae (sg) / bestiarum (pl) and ferae (sg) / ferarum (pl) - both meaning wild animal.

Bestiae percussor / interfector / interemptor / peremptor - Murderer of a/the wild animal

Bestiarum - percussor / interfector / interemptor / peremptor - Murderer of wild animals

Kind of interesting to know if it happens to fit your project: parricida means murderer too, but specifically refers to someone who has murdered a close relative or commited high treason with his murder.

But as I said, it's been some time. If someone with more recent experience using their latin would like to step in, please do. I was glad when that part of my school career was over, even though I enjoyed the content of the texts, translating was always my least favourite part. :tongue.:

Okey doke, "Venator Angeli" has a nice ring to it.

So it shall be.

Thanx again!

When going for High Gothic, having a nice ring is key.  Sticking too close to actual Latin is almost as bad as sticking -um and -us on the end of English words.  Angelum Hunterus.

Actually my Latin from high school is a little rusty, but you can loosely translate it in: "Cacciatore di Angeli", or "Hunter Angels", it would be more grammatically correct to turn it into: "Angelis Venator"...but you know it is not Latin...It's High Gothic :wink:

So that would give you the choice between

Draconis percussor / interfector / interemptor / peremptor - Murderer of a/the dragon/snake

Draconum percussor / interfector / interemptor / peremptor - Murderer of dragons/snakes

Just pick one of the words for murderer.

Same goes for beast: bestiae (sg) / bestiarum (pl) and ferae (sg) / ferarum (pl) - both meaning wild animal.

Bestiae percussor / interfector / interemptor / peremptor - Murderer of a/the wild animal

Bestiarum - percussor / interfector / interemptor / peremptor - Murderer of wild animals

Ooh, cool latin stuff. I'm really liking the sound of "peremptor" and if I use that as the ending, then I like the sound of:

Draconis Peremptor and Ferae Peremptor.

Most excellent! As far as whether or not they fit my project, they certainly do. I am working on two Land Raider Terminus and those names seem especially fitting to me.

Thank you very much Brother Durus!

Cheers,

Okey doke, "Venator Angeli" has a nice ring to it.

So it shall be.

Thanx again!

When going for High Gothic, having a nice ring is key.  Sticking too close to actual Latin is almost as bad as sticking -um and -us on the end of English words.  Angelum Hunterus.

Agreed absolutely! It's good to get the right sort of words and order but 40k does not use proper latin, so much so that the correct phrase can actually sound "wrong" in 40k. Never forget the most important rule in 40k is "the rule of cool", followed by "chaos did it" as we all well know :P

• 1 year later...

...aaaand we're back!

Background: I am building a Land Raider Prometheus for the ETL and given the role that the LRP fulfills and some of its capabilities, the phrase "Occulus Rex" or "Occulum Rex" just seemed to float into my brain.

Assuming that Occulus/Occulum translate to sight (I'm just guessing at this) and Rex means King or Ruler (guessing again), I end up with something that translates to "powerful sight" (-1 for cover saves) or "greatest sight"...I think.

Questions:

1. What does Occulus Rex translate to?

2. Is that the correct phrase for what I am attempting, or failing that, is it a close enough approximation?

3. If I'm not even on the right planet, what would "powerful sight" in Latin be?

Thanx in advance!

Cheers,

Occulus Rex sounds awesome though, so I'd go with that. Rule of cool always wins :tongue.:

T obe fair, Validus Conspectus sounds roughly as cool and has a better English translation. I mean, nothing against "Eye King", but it sounds like an advertisement for an ophthalmologist.

"I can see for miles" - The Who, M2

<I was going to post that video, but the link options only seem to insert the link. Curious if something has changed in the past year.>

T obe fair, Validus Conspectus sounds roughly as cool and has a better English translation. I mean, nothing against "Eye King", but it sounds like an advertisement for an ophthalmologist

Dude, you realize that I have to print all those letters by hand, don't you? :D

Ok, I've something to think about now...hmm...just thinking about this, Occulus Imperator, could translate to the Emperor's Eye....hmm...I kind of like the sound of that.

Ok team, thank you for the assistance.

Cheers,

• 1 year later...

This episode, Honda puts forth another one of "those" questions...

Background:

As part of the Ioria campaign, I am building an Inquisitor warband, but using Admech figures (GW and FW) to represent the various components. You can see the start of my effort, i.e. the "inquisitor" in the Ioria thread in Astra Militarum.

The narrative I am developing is built around the theme of a small Explorator task force. That task force is centered around a main ship. I've decided to go with a Light Cruiser as it's supposed to be what a lot of the Explorator forces are composed of.

Question:

While skimming through the first few pages of Mechanicum, I saw the phrase "Blood of the Machine". I really liked the sound of that, but then thought I'd try to get a Latin version, so I could sound all mechanical and everything. :P

So...is "Sanguis ex Machina" a reasonable translation or is there something better?

Thanx in advance.

That's a good translation certainly reads very 40k and, possibly even more 40k in that it sounds cool too :wink: I'd say that ticks all the boxes! :smile.: The "Blood" part of the machine is what ties it to Sanguis and not much else, but if you're not wedded to blood specifically alternatives could be:

• Vitae ex Machina (life)
  • Anima ex Machina (soul)

Personally I'd go with what you already have :thumbsup:

Isn't ex used only when you take something out of something and when something is part of something you should be using either the dativus possesivus form or ablativus qualitatis?

So it should be something like Sanguinem Machinas[ Blood of machines/machine].

Isn't ex used only when you take something out of something and when something is part of something you should be using either the dativus possesivus form or ablativus qualitatis?

So it should be something like Sanguinem Machinas[ Blood of machines/machine].

Ex can be used in place of a genitive of material, a partitive genitive, or to express source (a typical use with the ablative), as is the case with sanguis ex machina.

In this case, I think ex is the more contextually appropriate instead of a genitive or a dative of possession.  And, rule of cool applying, I think ex machina actually sounds better too.

• 11 months later...

"Ok kids, guess what time it is? That's right, iiiiiits LATIN time again!"

Today's Latin challenge is for two items that will become an important addition to my crusade.

1. Tempestus Furore - this just popped into my head. What I am looking for is the equivalent of "Fury of the Storm" or "Storm's Fury". I think that Tempestus means storm, but not sure if my head just 40K'd what I thought "fury" translated to.

2. Malificarum Mallus - I'm borrowing from Edward Longshanks nickname, Scotus Mallus, which I think translates to "Hammer of the Scots" What I am looking for is something that says "Hammer of Witches", but indicating that the item is used on witches. So the first need is, what is a decent word for "witches"? Is it maleficarum? I also know that I could shift to Venator, to indicate a hunter of witches, but I'm leaning more towards a weapon vs. an individual (i.e. a hunter).

3. Imperium Mallus - . Now the problem with Imperium Mallus is that it seems that "Hammer of the Imperium" would indicate that the item that bears this name is an opponent of the Imperium, which is the opposite of my intent. This item will be prosecuting the Imperium's will. So, what are my options here?

Ok, so that was three. I haven't decided which two I want yet.

As before, many, many thanx in advance for those who purchased the Latinate upgrate to their wetware and are able to share.

Cheers,

The genetive case, that is, the declension of the noun that indicates a sense of ‘of the...’ isn’t really specific, iirc, and is kinda flexible. Imperium Mallus could this go either way.

I suppose you could use an adjective instead, something that would translate into ‘Imperial Hammer’ rather than Hammer Hammer of the Imperium, which to me is, if a touch less poetic, than at least more grammatically clear.

Take it with a grain of salt, it’s been a while since I’ve done Latin

Archived