++ Hexfleet Virules ++ (Nurgle CSM, Daemons, and R&H)

Lagrath

Thanks everyone! Love seeing comments in this thread.

Next up on my list: plague zombies, plague hulk, counts-as Typhus, herald of nurgle, and plaguebearers. They are all almost totally done already...might I will finish a few tonight and post pics.

Longer-term holiday agenda: 110 nurgle-themed Death Korps of Krieg, 6 DKK rapier laser destroyers, 6 DKK wyverns, and....A NURGLE FIRE RAPTOR! (this last one will be the death of me for sure...I have some crazy ideas).

Hexfleet Virules Units: Hex Zombies

http://i.imgur.com/79sjors.jpg?2

Background: Even more so than the soldiers and ships, perhaps the most egregious possession Virules stole from Typhus was the secret to the Zombie Plague. Known only to Nurgle's most favored and powerful sorcerers, the Zombie Plague has devastated system after system in the form of a self-spreading and devastating disease. It is also a potent weapon of war, rapidly draining the assets of the enemy while at the same time replenishing the ranks of the sorcerer's own army.

There are dark rumors that, unbeknownst the Imperial scribes who later studied the war in painstaking detail, Virules and his vanguard visited Vraks at some point during the many dark years of the planet's siege. Why the Plaguelich would go out of his way to visit a raging warzone without ever engaging in combat remains unknown, but there are those within the Ordo Malleus who secretly speculate about a blasphemous meeting between Virules and Necrosius the Undying, for the two sorcerers of Nurgle harbor a mutual animosity against the Traveler and his Plague Fleet. These same radical Inquisitors claim that Virules struck a bargain to solicit the assistance of the Apostles of Contagion in further enhancing his own strain of the warp-based disease, known as the Hex Plague. Whereas the standard Zombie Plague only infects the body and rots the mind, the speculation goes, the Hex Plague is thought to corrupt the very soul, slowly multiplying fragments of the Plaguelich's daemonic power as the epidemic spreads from city to city and planet to planet. Such treasonous talk is most certainly ludicrous, for that would mean that the sorcerous abilities of Virules are steadily expanding conquest after conquest...

http://i.imgur.com/RDzvisu.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/RcEpAVt.png?1

Edited by Lagrath

Every single one of the bases in all 3 of my Chaos armies is from the Creeping Infection line from Secret Weapon minis...I've spent hundreds of dollars on just bases, haha.

Too bad Creeping Infection was not one of the table themes Secret Weapon launched for its Tablescapes Kickstarter (still have not gotten my junkyard tiles 18 months after the Kickstarter, sigh...)

Ah, I backed Games and Gears instead: still delayed, but mine'll be delivered in January (Urban 28mm, if you're interested).

I think they're awesome - I'd used some other (similar ones), but may have to check those out! Assume those are Mantic zombies too right? From the Apokalypse set, or the newer Deadzone ones?

Thanks Disease! Happy to help, haha...I am sure it is Papa Nurgle whispering inspiration into our minds :wink:

And now for a new first in this thread...

Hexfleet Virules Tournament Report: Houston, TX (Dec. 20, 2014)

Background: I last played 40k in the summer, at War Games Con/BOLSCON in Austin, TX. This was the first national tournament of 7th edition. I got 3rd in battlepoints at the main event with a double combined arms 1500 point Hexfleet Virules army that was 1 Nurgle detachment and 1 Tzeentch detachment. The Tzeentch summoned and had flamer chariots, the Nurgle was some soul grinders and a tough herald with plagubearers that held my front line. Very fun to play and did extremely well versus a lot of tough lists despite my inexperience. I posted the strategy behind my list in the daemons forum sometime back.

For this tournament, which was also 1500, I decided to work on my list concept from the summer. Unbound and Forgeworld units were both allowed, so I decided to play with a bunch of new units and to try unbound for the first time.

Format: 1500 points, 1 maelstrom and 1 eternal war mission per round. Max 20 points per round. 18 players in attendance (including many players who do very well across the state and nationally).

List: Hexfleet Virules 1500 points unbound - "Triple Chaos"

3x Herald of Tzeentch lvl 3

2x Horrors (11 each)

1x Plague Hulk

2x Maulerfiends with lasher tendrils

1x Fire Raptor with balefire missiles and reaper autocannons

1x Rhino with death of kasyr lutien upgrade

3x Renegade Wyverns

2x Renegade Laser Rapier Destroyer Batteries with 3 rapiers each, extra crew, gun upgrades

13 warp charges base

Strategy: I thought it was a pretty devastating, unorthodox list and it was. I played for the first time with the Maulerfiends, the Wyverns, the Rapiers, the Fire Raptor, and the Kasyer Lutien upgrade....everything was incredible. The strategy is to to put the wyverns and rhino in the back, the horrors and heralds in the middle, and the maulerfiends and plague hulks in front.

The walkers either rush to assault shooty lists, or hold the line in the middle of the board if I am being assaulted by melee or short-range shooting. While my walkers rush forward or tie up the middle of the board, I summon 20 daemonettes and 3 plague drones behind them to either follow up or counter-attack. I also keep my horrors just in range to put cursed earth on everything, so the walkers and summoned units have a 4++ most of the time. In the meantime, my wyverns and rapiers rain holy hell down on stuff at range. Turns 2 or 3, the Fire Raptor comes on and starts shooting 3 units at once each round...it never got scratched and just shot everything up every game. Extremely good unit, but pricey at 1500 points.

The Kasyr Lutien upgrade was a dream- I succeeded on 90% of my Malefic powers during the tournament and avoided some miscasts. I only lost a hull point on the rhino from the upgrade once. So good.

Results: Game 1 - Capture the Relic versus White Scars bikers, standard list except only 3 bike squads, less gravguns than usual, and some land speeders and drop pods with tacticals added in. We only got 3 turns in, which was unfortunate because in turns 4 and 5 I would easily have tabled him without having lost much other than my rapiers. Nonetheless, I got 16/20 points.

Game 2 - Kill points versus Tau pure shooting. He had a very scary list with an ethereal, 40 fire warriors, 8 pathfinders, 2 skyrays, 2 riptides, and the special formation that let him put Tank Hunters on a bunch of stuff, including 2 units of three broadsides + drone units. He also rolled the Skyfire power on his ethereal, which was scary because he put them in a broadside unit.

He deployed in a line across the board on Dawn of War, concentrated in two ruins and splitting his army equally into the two sides of his deployment. I count-deployed with my almost entire army in one corner opposite one of his ruins, keeping 20 fire warriors and one broadside squad out of range of anything. The only exceptions were my plague hulk and 1 rapier squad in the other corner to give that side of the board something to worry about.

I seized, ran up the maulerfiends, summoned a ton of stuff, and started killing the heck out of everything with my shooting. He clumped his broadsides with the ethereal and some fire warriors in the ruins opposite me, so I dropped my wyverns right on the ethereal's head. Holy hell, these are good. I did like 35 wounds on the ethereal/broadsides and 15 each on the two fire warriors squads. With ignore cover the ethereal died instantly, giving me warlord and first blood, and I killed two drones and one broadside (so many 2+ saves). I killed half of each fire warrior squad with that, too. The rapiers blew up the skyrays over 3 turns of shooting. The maulerfiends killed a lot, dying in the last turn. Daemonettes with fleet and my stream of new plague drones slowly wore him down, and I boarded him the last turn of the game. 20/20 points.

Game 3 - Emperor's Will with spearhead deployment. He had a scary, also unbound list with Chaos Space Marines. He ran 4 maulerfiends with magma tendrils, 2 Callidus Assassins, 1 Be'lakor, 1 Khorne Lord on juggernaut with Axe of Khorne joined to 5 Chaos Spawn with mark of nurgle. He got the infiltrate warlord ability, so started off Be'lakor extremely close to me on the top of my diagonal deployment. His assassins each infiltrated 1 inch away from my two rapier batteries.

However, I went first, so I promptly assaulted one assassin with a plague hulk (killing it) and one with a horror squad (tying it up for two turns until it did a hit and run away). I also used my two maulerfiends to tie up Be'Lakor for 3 rounds before he killed them both (he eventually died to shooting from the Fire Raptor). He rushed my artillery lines with the 4 maulerfiends and deathstar lord unit, but i wore down his spawn with wyverns and rapiers before the fire raptor shot the lord to death before he could assault anything. I summoned in two daemonette squads and ran them to create a line in front of my two artillery batteries to prevent an assault, but it ended up not mattering because turn 2 shooting killed the deathstar unit and each rapier squad killed a full-health maulerfiend about to assault me. He ran the last maulerfiend away, and the game ended after 4 turns due to time, but the maulerfiend was all he had left. 20/20 points.

55/60 points, 2nd overall in the tournament (57/60 was 1st place)...very happy to nearly get first despite forgetting Fear and the Daemons table, and forgetting some old summoning tricks of mine due to not having played in forever. Already have ideas on how to improve the list. Glory for Nurgle!

Edited by Lagrath

Thanks! Love to hear that people like them. I used 2 maulerfiend kits and 1 maggoth lord. I had a small baggy with a small number of extra maggoth lord bits from eBay, but I don't think I used anything from it yet.

Since the Nurglefiends were so popular and since they did so well at the tournament, I am going to grit my teeth and try to make two more. I bought another maulerfiend this morning, and I will try to stretch stuff to another two conversions without buying more maggoth stuff...we will see if I can make one by using the maggoth lord body as a base instead of the maulerfiend.

Thanks everyone!

I am happy to say that this thread has been highlighted with a lot of flattering praise at one of my favorite sculpting and conversion blogs, Dark Future Games!

http://darkfuturegaming.blogspot.com/2014/12/it-came-from-forums-quickie-40k-maggoth.html

This is just great encouragement to keep posting new project updates. I still have so many cool projects almost finished that I would like to post here. Too bad I also still have so many law school projects weighing on me over the holiday break (one big paper I haven't started, two law journal articles I would like to polish and publish).

In other good news, there was another 40k tournament announced on short notice for my area for this weekend. It's an hour from me, but I am going to make the drive out since it is the same format as the tournament I nearly won with the Hexfleet this past weekend. This time I will take pictures for the tournament report!

Edited by Lagrath

Merry Christmas everyone!

And now for something new...here is my first completed unit in a mountain of remaining work needed to create my Covenant of Nurgle Death Korps of Krieg renegades!

Hexfleet Virules Unit: Renegade Krieg Wyvern #1

http://i.imgur.com/b8LlNqC.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/TYcoUc7.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/rTCWxdC.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/E4CExTm.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/XtRDNoD.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/YOE15g7.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/vivLvy0.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/MJ187Gs.png?1

Unfortunately from today until Monday I am in panic-mode to write and complete my final law paper of the fall semester, which I have put off until now to sculpt and compete in tournaments. After that, I have a big, big wave of cool and nearly-finished models and squads to complete and post!

However, I mostly finished this one last week and I am so incredibly excited about how it turned out that I couldn't resist posting a little sneak preview! This is already my favorite model ever, and will be even better after a few more hours of work...

http://i.imgur.com/jkeOBfq.png?1

I will also soon post details and a few pictures of my recent tournament.

Edited by Lagrath

I love this army, I want to see it all painting.  Keep it up!

I built this army planning on painting it, since I can do a decent job on models like Nurgle even with low-level painting techniques, but it has grown so large (look at this list in the first post). I don't know how many years it will take me to paint it all, and I am not the best painter. I am therefore strongly considering shelling out a large amount of money to ship the entire 3 armies overseas to have them professionally painted for me.