Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1,850 Paladin, Dreadknight and Stormraven List

grey knight 1850 kaldor draigo paladin dreadknight stormraven

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

icejzadachilla

icejzadachilla

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12 posts

Hello all
I'm new to sixth edition, having not played 40k since third edition. I chose Grey Knights due to personal appeal. I'm trying to formulate a basic 1,850
point army that would be good for general play at local venues, nothing competitive. I just want opinions if this will do well or if it will get squashed since I have no familiarity with this edition.

HQ:

1. Lord Kaldor Draigo

Troops:

1. Paladin Squad of five

I. One Psycannons

II. Nemesis Warding Stave

III. Brotherhood Banner

IV. Psybolt Ammo

V. Two Nemesis Falchions

VI. Five Master Crafted Weapons

VII. Daemon Hammer

2. Paladin Squad of five

I. One Psycannons

II. Nemesis Warding Stave

III. Brotherhood Banner

IV. Psybolt Ammo

V. Two Nemesis Falchions

VI. Five Master Crafted Weapons

VII. Daemon Hammer

Fast Attack:

1. Stormraven Gunship

I. Twin-lined multi-melta

II. Twin-linked plasma cannon

III. Searchlight

2. Stormraven Gunship

I. Twin-lined multi-melta

II. Twin-linked plasma cannon

III. Searchlight

Heavy Support:

1. Nemesis Dreadknight

I. Heavy Incinerator

II. Nemesis Greatsword

2. Nemesis Dreadknight

I. Heavy Incinerator

II. Nemesis Greatsword

Total: 1,827.

Strategy:

I know it's a small army, only 15 models total on the field if everything gets deep striked in. Draigo use Grand Strategy Unyielding Anvil if I need to claim objectives or Shield of Blades if not. Deep strike the Stormravens and the Dreadknights. I've never played a 6th edition game so any strategy past that is beyond me. Before I go and spend several hundred dollars and tens of hours painting this army I felt like getting some opinions.

Thanks,
Icejza

Edit:

Deleted one Psycannon from each squad and one set of falchions, added daemon hammer. Lost 20 points total. Unsure how to reallocate them.

Edited by icejzadachilla, 03 September 2013 - 02:12 AM.

alex567

alex567

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

Hate to be a bother but you need to remove the points for individual wargear on your unit entries it's a legal thing.

Just a quick point, you cannot have more than half your army in reserves at the start of the game, so not as many deep striking units unfortunately.

I can't give much advice on the paladins, my grey knights are termies and strike knights, but I think you'd struggle with so few models at 1850, maybe drop some points and add some bulky terminator squads in there, to increase your numbers count. I find you cant go wrong with standard terminators. I'd also crank out a few daemon hammers, to make the terminators capable of destroying vehicles, getting tied up with a pesky dreadnaught or defiler can be a real knee bitter for those unable to beat them. I'm not sure you can take two psycannons in a paladin squad at 5 guys, I think you need 10.

Hope its not too critical.

~alex

Ultramarines 3rd company project log

"A battle for supremacy against many foes is a battle of the best kind. There are few considerations, only those concerning where to place your next shot. It is war in its purest form."
"Every life is vital, no matter how seemingly insignificant. If we forget that, we are no better than the scum out there."

"I'm a sergeant, my lord. It's what I do."

To decimate a foe is to destroy one tenth. Go ahead decimate my force, see if I care.

icejzadachilla

icejzadachilla

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12 posts

Thanks, I changed it.

It's not too critical, I'll make the adjustements, thanks.

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,412 posts

Your list is, sadly, illegal. You have taken four Heavy Support choices. I'd swap out one of the Stormravens for something else.

"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."

-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."

-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

http://thisisahelmet.blogspot.com/ - My Sometimes Update Blog

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg gallery_4664_11830_5080.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.png

icejzadachilla

icejzadachilla

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12 posts

Your list is, sadly, illegal. You have taken four Heavy Support choices. I'd swap out one of the Stormravens for something else.

I'm not sure for other armies but for Grey Knights the Stormraven is a Fast Attack choice.

I've been trying to figure out how to finagle more troops on the battlefield.

• I like the stormravens for air support.
  • Draigo is necessary for Grand Mastery which lets the walkers become scoring units.
  • I was considering having a dreadnought with TL Autocannons and Psybolt ammo to help with long range / heavy armor.
  • I'm also considering bringing along a Callidus and Vindicare assassin. Callidus to take care of blob squads and Vindicare to take out specific models and vehicles.
  • I was considering switching Draigo for a Grand Master then replacing the paladins with regular ten man strike squads w/ two psycannons each. Would this be worth it?
  • Obviously with two stormravens, two deadknights, two squads of paladins, draigo, two assassins and a dreadnought I'm about 1,000 points over the 2k mark (I don't mind making the army meet the 2k standard). I don't know what I can take out and even with ALL of these guys I'm still left with the dilemma of having very few bodies on the ground... I still have no experience with sixth edition. Would this list get rolled or would it be able to hold its own in your all's opinions?

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,412 posts

Oops. sweat.gif

Forgot about GK Stormravens being Fast Attack.

As far as this list being rolled, it all depends on your enemy's list. If the enemy has enough Str 8+ AP 2 weapons then you'll be hard pressed to win the day. Enemies that are choosing to rely upon weight of fire will have a big uphill battle to beat you. Plus, if your Dreadknights can hold the enemy back for long enough there won't be a chance of the enemy making it to your side of the table in time to fight you...just realized you don't have teleporters on your Dreadknights. Drop the swords and take teleporters. They need to apply pressure early and often against anybody that would struggle against them.

"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."

-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."

-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

http://thisisahelmet.blogspot.com/ - My Sometimes Update Blog

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg gallery_4664_11830_5080.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.png

Fofjunior

Fofjunior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts
Too few bodies for my liking. Pallies really copped a hit in 6th edition.

I find it hard to go past normal dreads with twin auto cannon and psybolt. Great vs mech, not bad vs flyers and have good range.

With your list depends on what your mates are brining but it will probably struggle at that points level as you are relying on the same models to do everything.

Pallies can take two specials per five just like purifiers.

One storm raven would be enough for general play.

Pull the pallies back to normal termies.

Coteaz is a good option for GK. Opens up cheap scoring henchmen and can provide a good power base with plasma cannon servitors.

icejzadachilla

icejzadachilla

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12 posts

Too few bodies for my liking. Pallies really copped a hit in 6th edition.

I find it hard to go past normal dreads with twin auto cannon and psybolt. Great vs mech, not bad vs flyers and have good range.

With your list depends on what your mates are brining but it will probably struggle at that points level as you are relying on the same models to do everything.

Pallies can take two specials per five just like purifiers.

One storm raven would be enough for general play.

Pull the pallies back to normal termies.

Coteaz is a good option for GK. Opens up cheap scoring henchmen and can provide a good power base with plasma cannon servitors.

I've been assessing those dreads set up like that lately and they do seem formidable. I'm so lost when it comes to making a cohesive grey knight army; I think I need to start over from the ground up and come back with a whole new list. Some thoughts I've been having:

• At this point I'd almost rather take Crowe and purifiers in razerbacks instead of Draigo and paladins.
  • Maybe only one dreadknight with the teleporter to make him effiective.
  • One or two dreadnoughts decked out like Fofjunior says with twin lined autocannons and psybolt ammo.
  • Drop the second stormraven, or keep it and use them as transport for the purifiers instead of razerbacks - any thoughts on this?

Fofjunior

Fofjunior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts
Have run a few troops in the stormraven before, normally try and put something with a invo save though otherwise if it crashes then normally there all gone.

But really depends on what else your running and what role you want the guys inside to play. I have run an uber 1 strike assault unit of 4 crusaders, 6 death cult and GM, libby or inq. Goes great if you can pull the assault off but dies horribly to shooting if left out in the open. I have also run the small purifiers with 2 psycannons to some success.

The only problem with running two is its a lot of strike power off the table. If you put units inside that you really need shooting from the get go it can compound the issue. So if you go with 2 make sure you have enough bodies to 1 make sure your still in the game when they arrive and 2 that you dont need on the ground from the start.