The Road to Astronomi-Con 2014 (page 8 Inq Warband Complete)

Here's another quick update. Sorry for the blurry focus, I just could not get my camera to focus propery, but since this is another WIP shot I'm not too concerned. I think it still gives you an idea of how things are progressing and I'm happy with how the oak leaf dot-pattern camo turned out.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/10/31/552559_md-.JPG

What about the fluff? Should I take the lack of comments to mean that it's too boring to read/comment on? Or that it's so good you have no comments? Or that it's so bad you don't want to crush my spirit by critiquing it?

What kind/style of fluff do you guys like to read? I want to max-out on the "soft" scores at this tournament (at least as much as I can -- my painting and conversion abilities are middle-of-the-road at best for Astronomi-con) and fluff is some easy points I think. Please don't be shy with criticism/comments/suggestions. Thanks.

I'm liking the fluff. It is concise, informative, and quite frankly reminds me of how ForgeWorld writes their books (notably Vraks).

Aside from some minor spelling errors, there's nothing that I'd suggest changing.

That camo is amazing, I wouldn't be able to do such a thing myself, though it is a little blurry, could you possibly get a clearer shot?

Thanks for the feedback, Argun. I'd better proofread again! Bit more fluff specific to my regiment incoming in a few days.

Once I have more progress on the grenadiers I'll set them up proper and take a photo with my camera rather than my phone. Glad you like the camo. It's actually not too hard, I just followed this guide: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=285

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Walter, I'm glad to hear that my work is providing some inspiration. Today I finished the watchmaster for the first Grenadier squad, so here are some pictures and his backstory (although I am considering changing his timeline to make him a lot younger and have him join-up after the Khornates had been kicked out):

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/11/8/554824_md-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/11/8/554822_md-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/11/8/554823_md-.JPG

SUB-LIEUTENANT JOSEF VIERKUS-GOLUNSKI

The eldest son of a minor noble family in Valka (northern major continental mass on Sorgrece V), Josef Vierkus-Golunski seemed originally destined for an illustrious career in the Administratum or Adeptus Ministorum. He studied law at the University of Liv, also studying literature, political science, and theology. During this time his leadership qualities came to the fore and he quickly rose in the ranks of the League of Valkan Families -- a party within the planetary Administratum that vied for power with the Red Redemption. In eloquent addresses to large rallies and numerous booklets, he made his mark on Sorgrece V’s political life.

When the Khornate invasion came, he was engaged to be married, and an unlikely soldier. Despite his devotion to the Valkan nobility’s custom of chivalry, he was known more for his academic and diplomatic prowess. He insisted on joining as an enlisted soldier, no less, although his familial rank would have entitled him to join directly the officer corps. His comrades were surprised at the humbleness of Private Vierkus-Golunski, the LVF leader, performing the lowly tasks of an infantryman, and jokingly nicknamed him “Modest the First, Duke of North Valka”.

Serving initially in a line regiment, he quickly distinguished himself in early actions against the Blood Pact. He rose to the rank of Watchmaster and was transferred to one of the elite Grenadier units. He was made an officer and promoted to the rank of Sub-Lieutenant after the breakout from the Mielnik pocket. In that campaign, the Sorgecian forces had been surrounded by elements of the Blood Slaves of Khorne and Blood Pact and all but three officers killed. Vierkus-Golinski took command of the remaining company of Grenadiers and spear-headed the attack that led to their breakthrough.

Highly decorated for this action, he and his unit caught the attention of Lord Inquisitor Soulis and was inducted into the Persequi Astro Ultio Crusade. Among the families allowed to accompany the Imperial Guard troops, is his beautiful fiancee, whom he is constantly seen writing to when his duties allow. He has vowed to marry her only once his term of service is complete, not wanting to leave her a widow.

in the grim future of the 41st millenium there is only romantic lovestories about how abbadon kept our valiant hero away from his sweetheart!

lol, like the story though. adds a very human side to the army. you could even model his fiancee up as an objective marker?perhaps taken hostage by a bloodpact warrior?

LOL, thanks Hendrik. Yeah, I wanted to go for something a little different with this character. The other ones with back stories will be more typical.

Great idea for an objective marker -- that could be perfect for my Forlorn Hope objective! Any ideas on what model to use? Maybe something non GW since I would want (i) a non-dynamic pose, and (ii) fully clothed (no Dark Eldar slave model tongue.png)

EDIT: fixed formatting error.

Thanks, Hendrik. Wow, a female model with a pretty face -- are you sure that's legal? It's rare enough that one wonders.

That particular model doesn't really look like she's clothed for a planetside excursion resulting in kidnapping, though, nor how I'd envision a noblewoman of Sorgrece V to dress. Hasslefree sure has an interesting and eclectic offering of miniatures. How to they look next to GW Imperial Guard models?

I did some poking around and I think this one's not bad: http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/george-r-r-martin-masterworks/sansa-stark.html ... doesn't look obviously medieval, and has a noble bearing. With the cloak she looks more like she's gone for a bit of a hike planetside and found herself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hand positioning is good for being bound. I can add a rebreather onto the model somwhere although the face is good enough it's worthy of being left uncovered so maybe have the mask covering the wolf brooch.

OR, take the head from the miniature you recommended, Hendrik, and put it on this body: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Pathfinder/latest/60136#detail/60136_g_1

In the mean time, I finished the camo on the remaining Grenadiers last night and this evening had only a little time so did their skull masks in a base of Zandri Dust. Wow do they look badass with the masks painted. Just waiting for the Seraphim Sepia to dry then I'll do the layers. Once that's done I'll be close enough to completion that I may not post another pic until their belts and weapons are done.

I do have a step-by-step set of pictures ready to go for how I painted the camo, though, which I will include in this thread as soon as I have a chance to upload and edit the photos.

I can't tell how hasslefree miniatures matcch up to normal 40k minis, but i do believe the DKOK are a bit thinner then normal imperial guard anyway,right?

I must say that sansa miniature could be used as well. the reaper miniature has a too much priesty vibe going on in my opinion. anyway, i'm curious what you'll do with the idea!

Yes DKoK are noticeably shorter and thinner. My commissars look huge mixed in with my troops so I recently purchased the Krieg commissars to replace them. Since commissars are never from the same world as the regiment they serve with, I thought regular commissars would be more fluffy but they don't look quite right. I'm going to just say that the commissars wear rebreathers in solidarity with their regiment but are still offworlders.

The inquisition troops are in separate units so not nearly as noticeable.

I think I will go with the Sansa model but I'm going to build the objective last so that project is a ways off. Thanks again for the inspiration.

I've been really sick this week and had to go to bed rather than do my painting at the end of the evening once chores are done, but wanted to share what progress I have made to show I'm still toiling away. At this point I've just got their weapons, respirators, and bases left to go.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/11/14/556727_md-.JPG

Thanks WarriorFish.

Now, given the release last night of Codex: Inquisition, it's time to change my list. I'm going to free up points by dropping the Hydra most likely.

Unfortunately, no inquisitorial storm troopers so the second grenadier squad will remain dressed up as =][= troops.

I want to put a cheap(ish) shooty Inquisitorial war band behind the Aegis. I'm thinking 5 stock acolytes (las pistol/ccw), 4 acolytes with bolters, and 3 servitors with multimeltas. Weighs in at 70 pts. I'd like something with a but more variety but most of the options are close combat oriented and Jokaero are just too expensive (I'd rather have more ablative wounds for the meltas). But what do you think? Seems like a decent amount if shootiness and meatshield for 70 pts.

For 70pts it's a pretty good deal I think. I need to get the Inquisition codex but from all I've read it's pretty basic which is unfortunate but not unexpected. I think those of us interested were only after the ability to add Inquisitors and the like so it's not a big deal for us :)

My hopes have been crushed!

I emailed Forgeworld over the weekend to ask how Codex: Inquisition would work with Death Korps of Krieg Assault Brigade. This is what they wrote back:

"The Death Korp do treat Codex - Inquisition forces as "Come the Apocalypse". They have a mistrust of Psykers and tend to be very insular in their out look." cry.gif

I was so pumped about being able to field an actual inquisitor as Lord Inquisitor Soulis -- a thing I've not been able to do (without paying a GK tax which I am unwilling to do) for years. I pre-ordered Codex: Inquisition the first day it became available and spent the weekend planning out cool combos. I'm a little crushed. My enthusiasm about this project has been dealt a major blow. Maybe I better go re-read Dead Men Walking and hopefully that will make me want to resume work on this project (versus saying "censored.gif it" and going back to work on my Angels Sorrowful)

For 70pts it's a pretty good deal I think. I need to get the Inquisition codex but from all I've read it's pretty basic which is unfortunate but not unexpected. I think those of us interested were only after the ability to add Inquisitors and the like so it's not a big deal for us smile.png

Yeah, it is basic, nothing beyond what Codex: Grey Knights has, but all I care about is the ability to bring inquisitors without paying a Grey Knight tax.

he confronted Colonel Matrix, commanding officer of the remnants of the XVIII Green Devils. 

Ooh, ooh! I think I found a picture of him.

I like the fluff for your army, and the camo scheme is pretty slick. I really like those grenadier models. I've considered getting some to be veterans to go with my Steel Legion.

How does that work? The DKoK are a Guard regiment, and the Inquisition is... well, the Inquisition. The DKoK might not like the Inquisition much but that doesn't mean they're not under their influence. I thought they were off martyring themselves for the God Emperor, so how's it going to look if they don't want to hang out with His Inquisition? confused.gif

• 2 months later...

How does that work? The DKoK are a Guard regiment, and the Inquisition is... well, the Inquisition. The DKoK might not like the Inquisition much but that doesn't mean they're not under their influence. I thought they were off martyring themselves for the God Emperor, so how's it going to look if they don't want to hang out with His Inquisition? confused.gif

Yeah it doesn't make any sense to me. It is highly irritating no not be able to use Codex: Inquisition in conjunction with my army, BUT it does not prevent me from dressing my DKoK CCS up as an Inquisitor with small retinue. Nor does it stop me from dressing up one of my DKoK Grenadier Squads as Inquisitorial Storm Troopers.

Speaking of Grenadiers, I FINALLY finished my first grenadier squad:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/s/i/gallery/img/2014/1/31/580231_md.JPG

Here's a detail shot of the heavy flamer to give a better look at the camo et al:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/1/31/580232_md-.JPG

Archived