The Road to Astronomi-Con 2014 (page 8 Inq Warband Complete)

Alas, for some bizarre reason Forge World says DKoK are "come the apocalypse" with codex: inquisition.

And it's a tourney I'm bringing this army to so is need the actual book physically with me -- but thanks for the offer!

Although the guys who organize Astronomi-con are pretty cool as are the regular attendees. So I MIGHT be able to convince them to house rule it so I can bring inquisition stuff.

A bit of fluff today. Here's a map I did up of my regiment's homeworld, Sorgrece V, using Campaign Cartographer. The hive on the southern continent slightly east of Centre, Valkava Hive, is the homeplace of Sub-Lieutenant Golunski whose fluff was given a few pages ago:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/2/24/587616_md-.JPG

It has lots of deserts because of the nuclear bombardment. I think I need to make the jungles a little smaller. You'll note rather large ice-caps -- this planet is meant to be pretty cool, kind of like what Mars might be like if terraformed.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads now with army preparation. My "recycling" platoon is mostly done so long as I keep the power swords on the sergeants that I put on back when I used this army with Codex: IG and blobbed them up with a commissar. I'll also finish off my troop of 10 Deathriders. This should take only a couple weeks since they're mostly painted, just need basing and some touch-up. Then all of my "non-negotiables" (by virtue of being fully painted) will be done. I drafted a list and this clocks-in at 1050 points.

Giving me 450 points to spend and I think I have more than 450 points worth of stuff I want/need in the army.

Inquisitor Soulis is too essential to my army's fluff to be excluded. And he needs to be proper, so I think that means biting the bullet and bringing a minimum squad of battle sisters and a "pimped-out" canoness to represent the inquisitor (infernus pistol, power sword, Mantle of Ophelia, rosarius). Thats 190 plus I need a mandatory HQ for 120 (CCS+melta x2) = 310. With only 140 pts left I can't bring the Vanquisher I had planned verymad.gif ... I could probably scrounge 10 points somewhere for 2x Hydras so I have some AA. I have very little long-range anti Tank though (just the two Russes) although within 12" I should be pretty deadly. Thoughts? Any way out of this quandary? Ah, the joys and agonies of crafting a 1500 pt list that's both fluffy and effective!

The map looks good, I don't think you should reduce the forest as it's not that large and it gives the world a bit more character and excuses for gribblies should you need them. Hydras are good and are pretty effective at taking down medium armour but against all but skimmers their effectiveness is reduced. So maybe you should only take one Hydra and try and squeeze the other points into something else?

Any ideas on what the something else could/should be? It seems to me that long range AT and AA are the gaps that need to be filled.

There isn't a lot you can get for 65-105 pts and certainly no long range AT that would really fit. Here are some ideas:

1. Scrounge an additional 10 pts for aegis defence line with Icarus las cannon and park the sisters of battle behind it, swapping out the. 2 flamers I had in mind for a multimelta.

2. REALLY scrape and scrounge to get up to 105 pts and get 5x Seraphim with inferno pistols. 135 pts would be best for two sets of inferno pistols but I don't think I have that much fat I can trim. This option definitely tickles me but does not solve lack of AA (deep shrinking behind Knights may be huge though).

3. Scrap the hydra, grab an aegis and out some retributors (heavy bolters or MM if I out the aegis near the front?) back there with the battle sisters. Or put a Krieg heavy weapons squad with las cannons back there with the battle sisters ?

4. Throw a camo net on the Hydra so it has a better chance of lasting long enough to be useful when enemy flyers show up. That leaves with with 45 pts which is really harder to use -- more goodies like a priest and medikit for the HQ ( who Lord Inq Soulis will be rolling with). Or maybe a griffon with carcass shells if I scrounge.

5. Drop the "inquisitorial storm troopers" (right after I finished painting them too!! Arg!!) in favour of a hydra, the Vanquisher, and increasing the size of the battle sister squad. This kind of violates my self-imposed fluff rule that there must be at least 1 Inq ST squad in every Sorgrecian force but bringing sisters compensates. I could change my rule to sisters or IST since both fit the role of supervising the troops' doctrinal purity (remember the planet was under chaos control for several decades).

I'm interested to hear what ideas others have.

Maybe 3) is better? The Aegis would provide some AA and the Rets can put out a lot of shots (I prefer HBs). You don't have to take long range AT, Sisters are proof of that - just make sure you have enough melta etc and the ability to deliver it smile.png

Maybe ... I could do DKoK heavy weapons squad with either autocannons or lascannons as an alternative to retributors. Once you're behind the Aegis the difference between power armour and flak armour is less, and DKoK don't need to take a test if they suffer 25% casualties. At this point I'm leaning more towards Option #1 which involves the purchase/painting of the fewest new models.

I'm going to wait to see what others say and in the mean time plug away at the platoon and Deathriders.

So here are my current thoughts on the list:

HQ

Death Korps CCS w/ meltagun (x1) - 110

Lord Inquisitor Soulis (Canoness) w/ inferno pistol, power sword, rosarius, Mantle of Ophelia - 135

ELITE

Hydra w/ heavy flamer - 75

TROOP

Death Korps Platoon Command squad w/ power sword, flamer (x2), platoon standard, commissar - 110

Death Korps Infantry Squad w/ meltagun (80)

Death Korps Infantry Squad w/ flamer (75)

Grenadier Storm Squad w/ power sword, meltagun (x2), heavy flamer - 160

Grenadier Storm Squad w/ meltagun (x2) - 140

Sisters of Battle Squad w/ multimelta - 70

FAST ATTACK

Deathrider Squad w/ 5 extra death riders - 160

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ heavy flamer - 150

Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ heavy flamer - 150

FORTIFICATIONS

Aegis Defence Line w/ Icarus Lascannon - 85

Standard caveats of not being an expert of Krieg aside I like the list, seems like it has plenty enough troopers with ample support. I probably wouldn't spend on CC upgrades for the PCS even on Kriegers though, but I'm assuming they're running in support of the Inquisitor, CCS and Deathriders in closing on the enemy?

I'd give the Sisters a different weapon, the MM is a bit of a waste as they'd be better working with your Guardsmen and getting stuck in. Either some tasty BS4 melta or flamers would be my pick.

Thanks WarriorFish.

I'll admit, the CC upgrades to the Platoon Command Squad are mostly for fluff reasons. I'm going with the old-school requirement that all officers be accompanied by a commissar (from the old White Dwarf list), plus also due to the extra scrutiny my army receives due to the Chaos infestation of their planet. The platoon standard is in mostly because it's painted and looks cool.

As for the sisters, my plan was to have them hold the Aegis Defence line most of the time, hence the multimelta. Otherwise I don't know who I would put back there. It would just be a waste to keep the recycling platoon there (plus as you surmise they are running support/meatshield for the inquisitor, CCS, and deathriders). And the Grenadiers' weapons are all too short of range (18" hotshot lasguns unsure.png ) so the 24" boltguns and multimelta seemed better suited.

The alternative as I see it is to go maximum aggression and drop the Aegis in favour of a second Hydra (I don't think a single Hydra is sufficient AA) and give the sisters 2x flamers or meltas. Unless there's another AA option for 85 points that I'm missing?

Fluff reasons are right up there with "because I want to" as unassailable reasons for doing something tongue.png

Sisters are an attacking army at heart, but you have more leeway with a single squad so sitting them back on the Aegis/objective is viable. On the other hand, so is giving them some of the holy trinity and unleashing them on the enemy and a second Hydra would provide a bit more medium armour. I think both will work so it's probably more personal preference than anything else smile.png

I do prefer redundancy, and having two AV 12/10/10 hulls is better than having just one I think. Then everyone can go on the attack if I want them to. And with the 10 pts saved I can put a 2nd meltagun into the CCS, or a power sword on a sergeant, or some meltabombs. It occurred to me that meltabombs may be a good addition to Lord Inquisitor Soulis. With the Mantle of Ophelia he can do crazy heroic stuff like charge monsterous creatures and with meltabombs actually do some damage.

Not idly did I boast of working on my army last week. I present to you First Platoon, A Company, Emperor's Own Sorgrecian Rifles, under the command of Lt. Karol Chodkiewicz.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/3/3/590347_md-1%20PL%20A%20Coy%20EOSR.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/3/3/590348_md-Lt.%20Karol%20Chodkiewicz.JPG

Lt. Karol Chodkiewicz - The youngest son of the Grand Marshall of Valkava Hive. To try to tame his drinking and carousing, Karol was initially sent with his brother Aleksandr to study offworld at the university of Ingolstadt on Mordian. After two semesters, bored and thirsting for action, he bribed and bluffed his way onto a ship back to Sorgrece. He gained early military experience in the PDF fighting heretic uprisings in the underhive where some remaining Chaos taint from the invasion had corrupted Imperial creed leading to open revolt before being accepted as an officer in the Imperial Guard. A romantic and heroic young man, unencumbered by false pride, he includes a Calligraphus Servitor in his command squad to record his words and deeds.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/3/3/590349_md-Commissar%20Roderick%20Gaffney%20Drurary%20III.JPG

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends!"

Commissar Roderick Gaffney Drurary III - A native of Praetoria, his father served (and died) with distinction as a company commander at the Masscre at Big Toof River. He brings with him the Praetorian iron discipline and demand for parade-ground decorum even in the heat of battle. He is a grizzled veteran of many campaigns with various regiments. He is frequently to be found alongside Lt. Chodkiewicz in the thick of the hottest fighting, Commissar Drurary inspiring the men with lengthy passages from antiquity. His first deployment with the EOSR, he nearly executed Lt. Chodkiewicz who he thought was fleeing the battle but was actually running to seize command of fresh reserves as his platoon had been wiped-out leading the attack and opening a breach in enemy lines (the only reason he didn't execute the brash young officer was because he couldn't catch up to the young officer, a prolific marathon runner in addition to carouser and singer of war ballads).

Man looking at these pics I never noticed that brutal mould line I missed on the inside of the lieutenant's arm. Never noticed it until looking at that enlarged picture. Ah well you can't see it on the tabletop. Could be a stitch line too. I am sure not scraping and repainting. That Tamiya paint looks great but is a major pain to use. Which is why I'll be focusing on Adepta Sororitas allies not more Kriegers when current projects are done.

Thanks for the support, WarriorFish.

I'm pretty happy with how the list is coming together both on paper and on the table. I've decided to go 2x Hydras and then drop one Deathrider so that I can keep power swords on the sergeants in the infantry squads (pure expedience -- they're already modelled/painted that way and this will save me time) plus meltabombs on Lord Inquisitor Soulis.

The last "tweak" I'm contemplating is dropping Commissar Drurary in favour of a Sister Hospitaller (quartermaster) in the command squad. A nice thing about the DKoK command squad is that instead of giving a medipack to one of the existing squad members, for the same price, you can add another body (a regimental advisor) in the person of a quartermaster. Has the same stats as a commissar. I know I've resisted removing the commissar due to rule of cool and fluff, but I am willing to trade fluff-for-fluff and I think a Sister Hospitaller giving FNP to my Eternal Warrior Inquisitor might be better. What do you think?

Or do you like the model and fluff for Commissar Drurary sufficiently that the vote is for him to stay?

I'm liking the fluff/model for the Commissar, but if you're wanting to get the FNP, I'd go with the Hospitaller, but give her something in the way of medical supplies on her person. Would it be too much trouble to somehow model a Sister kneeling over a wounded Guardsman for the mini to show her trying to make the Guardsman feel no pain from his wounds?

That is a very tough vote good sir.... I love the DKoK commissar but the sister hospitaller model is fantastic as well (I am actually using her in my own command squad for no other reason then that I love the model). Pure rule wise the quartermaster is going to be more effective I am sure. But.... I vote for the Commissar for model/fluff reasons.

I finally read through the whole thread and it is fantastic. It is great to see an army buildt on fluff, nice models and love^^ And it looks like a fun army to play as well!

I have acutally been thinking about doing something like this for a while with my new Harakoni army... And maybe I will have to do it now. Very inspiring!

Good work sir.

Thanks for your thoughts, comrades.

Argun: I know people hate Finecast, but see, this is why I actually wish they did Sisters in Finecast, because then I think your idea might be doable. But in their current pewter format (especially the way the hospitaller's legs are modelled with the robes), that would be an awfully tall order I think, although it would be awesome. I'll look in my bitz box for things that could be used for medical supplies.

Shizu: Thanks for the comments! Glad you like what you've read so far. To me the fluff is just as much fun as the other aspects and Astronomi-con really rewards players who pay attention to this aspect of the game so I'm going all-out. It has made building up the army more fun. A lot of the fluff is based on things that have happened in games too (like the whole bit about Lord Inquisitor Soulis eating a Catachan demo charge). It is a tough decision. For now, I'm going to keep the commissar in since he's painted and see if I have time for the Hospitaller after all else is complete. Then I may paint her up and see which I like the look of better. I hope I didn't ruin her ... I personally think Sisters should not be so busty. As warrior nuns, they would have a more athletic figure in my view, so I tried "toning down" the chest area but I don't really have the right tools. Need some smaller and smoother files that are equal to the task of pewter. But the real test is always what the model looks like once painted.

And it is a fun army to play. I've tried to design it to be very aggressive, which is why the Sisters fit in well fluff and table-top wise. My battles have always been extremely bloody as a result.

Very impressive,and I didn't even notice the line until you pointed it out,I was so taken with the storyline and the striking color scheme. Tying it up nice with the sisters, I would  also say the hospitaller sister, would be awesome, and fulfill the fluff. Well thought out.

Well, thanks, walter! It sure is nice to hear that people are enjoying the fluff and like the models.

I think I'm in good shape for being ready well before the tournament and avoiding a mad rush to finish close to the date (Astronomi-con Toronto will be some time in July). Just taking stock of what needs to be completed at this point:

2x Infantry squads (painted -- just need basing)

9 Death riders (5 fully painted and need basing, 4 ~half painted)

Command squad (assembled and primed)

2x Hydra Flak Tanks (not yet purchased)

5x Battle Sisters (I currently have 1 battle sister and 1 multimelta sister which I'm going to convert to heavy flamer I think -- need to buy a Sister Superior and 2x more regular sisters)

Lord Inquisitor Soulis (I ordered Solomon Lok from Forgeworld last night and am starting my search for bitz -- I'm going to do a head swap, a sword swap because I don't like Lok's sword, give him an inferno pistol instead of the pointing hand, a backpack, and a second shoulder pad, plus I will try my hand at changing the auspex hanging from his belt into a rosarius using green stuff)

I realized this morning that in all my years of playing Imperial Guard, I've NEVER run an army without at least one commissar. So, because of that, Commissar Durrary is in and the Quartermaster/Sister Hospitaller is out.

I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to complete the first two items on the list by month's end at the very latest. I think I will order the sisters I need and paint them too for a break from IG models (and they will paint up much faster since I'll be using Citadel paints instead of Tamiya). That should leave me three months to acquire and paint two Hyrdras, paint the CCS, and convert/paint Soulis. Very doable, even if I take a whole month to do Soulis (which I might since he'll be the Pièce de résistance of my army).

Hmmm ... no likes from Fasha yet? Must be doing something wrong. Or maybe he's holding-out until I give him the full platoon. I'm hoping to get that done in the next couple of weeks. Just need to base them and paint-up two further troopers (when I first painted them I was using regular IG rules and an autocannon in one of the squads).

So how's this for an idea?

Now that I've had the idea to use the new Scion models with some extra armour to represent an elite power-armoured bodyguard for Lord Inquisitor Soulis (instead of Adepta Sororitas), I was thinking that Soulis should roll with his bodyguard instead of the CCS (who I was going to dress-up as a rag-tag inq retinue). If I do that, then I'd probably put two special weapons in there but not necessarily.

This got me to thinking, would I not be better off running a Quartermaster for 75 pts instead of a naked CCS that is really only there to give orders? I could then squeeze a priest into the bodyguard squad and add some staying power to the grenadiers (although it is only a 6+ FNP).

I guess that depends a lot on how useful you feel orders are to you. I usually find them quite useful, especially when ordering plasma guns around. But perhaps not so much for your army?

Either way I really like the idea of up-armed men as his bodyguard, sounds like a fun project. The only thing, I guess, you should ask yourself is if it will fit within your time limit.

Archived