New Space Marine Librarian, updated 20/09/13

Dam13n

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/LibrarianWIPCollage01_zpsf6b02525.jpg

I had to get this model when I picked up my codex. He's just sooo cool looking.

I plan on entering him into the next painting comp at my local GW, so he's going to have to be good (my standards, not theirs msn-wink.gif )

The armour will hopefully end up with a slight NMM quality to it, a nod to the awesome Calgar model from the Golden Daemon Open Competition a few years ago. While I also hope to fit some tastefully muted OSL in as well (Psychic Hood, Staff Head) as a new challenge (I've avoided it for ages as my first attempts sucked something awful, but Lahmian Medium seems to be fantastic when it comes to creating OSL layers, so time to bite the bullet and have another go.)

The pic of the face is IMHO terrible, but it's looking pretty good in real life. I used the Advanced Faces guide from WD350 as a base for the technique I've used.

If anyone is interested, the armour is Layered up from Incubi Darkness through Kabalite Green to Sybarite Green then glazed with Guilliman Blue Glaze. I think it has a more arcane appearance than the standard blue, so I'm happy (it is already making me think about collecting Alpha Legion though)

The intent is that He'll be a Marauder (White Scars Successor) as they were my scheme of choice when playing Dawn of War, and Yellow makes for a great contrast to the Blue/Green armour. Plus, the bold colours should help it appeal to the likely voters in the competition (most will be a few years shy of puberty, it is a GW store competition after all tongue.png ) and getting the balance of colours right will be a nice challenge.

If anyone has any suggestions to help me with OSL it'd be appreciated. I would also value opinions on TMM vs NMM for this guy, as I haven't made up my mind yet.

Very, very nice work indeed!

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/LibrarianWIPCollage01_zpsf6b02525.jpg

The pic of the face is IMHO terrible, but it's looking pretty good in real life.  I used the Advanced Faces guide from WD350 as a base for the technique I've used.

If you have time could you tell us about this Advanced Faces technique(s)?

Thanks all.

Brother Sanvael has it right. Its the advanced technique I've used, with some minor adjustments.

The armour colour would probably work for sons of horus, though I suspect I'd use a mix of blue and green glazes instead of just blue if that was what I was aiming for.

The chubby baby is being left off, it's in my bits box so may find itself converted into a chaos spell familiar at some point if I ever start a new Chaos army.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  Now nearing completion, just have the scroll-work and the head of the staff to do and he's complete.

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/MaraudersLibrarian01_zps75f3be25.jpg

Still not sure whether to do OSL on the staff head or not, I suspect not as I'm not keen on the idea of having to repaint nearby areas to represent the glow effect.

But we'll see.

Thanks all.

Heathens - don't really know why, they just always appealed, ever since I started playing around with the DoW painter. Yellow marines just stand out I guess, but I wasn't a fan of GWs orange-yellow imperial fists, I preferred a more neutral brown-yellow.

The price tag was high, for a plastic model, but it's so packed with great subtle details that I'd say it's just about worth it. Plus he should be easy to convert if you wanted an axe or sword or a different head or whatever.

I'll hopefully finish him this weekend. I have a large bolt action order coming and don't want that to interfere with my getting him done.

The face and armor are stunning, really impressive work. That blue-green armour is awesome and I would like to be able to paint such contrasted faces.

I like a little less the staff. The light blue diverts from the face. And is it the photo or the staff is a little bit bended at the end ?

Keep on if you paint all marauders at that level, it'll be impressive.

great job so far.  The greenish armor is an interesting twist, but looks really good.  So glad you too decided not to put the fat techo cherub on his shoulder, it seems to actually take away from the sculpt as a whole.  

Again, thanks for the replies.

The Staff is actually slightly bent in the middle. An after effect of painting it separately I'm afraid. Had to bend it slightly when gluing it in place in order to avoid scratching the paintwork. It is less noticeable in real life. Especially as I've almost finished painting the head of it now. The wonders of paint... msn-wink.gif

As far as the staff OSL goes, I'm thinking that I could do a subtle glow effect in the eyes of the skull and the vents in the "power converter" (not really sure what to call it - the bit with the wire going into it just above the left hand). As that won't reflect on the model at all, so no repainting. Plus it should help create a narrative with the blue haft of the staff - He's channelling power into the staff ready to unleash a blast of psychic power, which is causing the blue effect on the haft and some glowing from the power converter and, as the blast is just about to be unleashed, the deepest recesses of the head of the staff (the skull's eye sockets).

I've done a similar effect before on my Lone Wolf's Thunder Hammer, so I reckon I can pull it off without too much trouble - even if it looks bad, I can just repaint those recesses black and no harm done.

Once that's done I need to decide what combination of text and symbols are going to go on the pages of the book and the scroll on his backpack. The purity seals are too narrow to do much more than lines of text, so that's not an issue.

Well I have until next Saturday to finish him (which is when the painting competition is) so I have plenty of time. I suspect the next time he's seen on the forum will be in the Hall of Honour. I'll post a link here when that happens.

Model Complete: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/280786-marauders-librarian/

Archived