Barabas Dantioch *SPOILERS*

Tonal

So, having read the short story "The Iron Within" recently and having had some time to mull over it, I was wondering what might have become of it's awesome protagonist, Warsmith Barabas Dantioch.

*SPOILERS*

In the story, as any who have read it would know, Dantioch, his second in command, a Sargent, and two Battle Brothers escape alongside the Ultramarines Honor Guard Nicodemus, seize the Iron Warriors ship in orbit, and then head to meet up with the Ultramarines to join the Battle for Terra.

Now, as we all know, the Ultramarines missed that particular party due to the Battle of Cath, leaving me to think that Dantioch's loyalists managed to meet up with the Ultramarines shortly before Calth as Nicodemus was also present there.

It could be thought that Dantioch and his men were slain during the Battle of Calth or executed shortly after the Heresy for their traitor brother's misdeeds, but I honestly can't see Guilliman allowing that. Throughout The Iron Within it is made clear that the Primarch highly valued Dantioch and had a great plan for him, as I believe Nicodemus even states outright. A loyal Astartes so skilled in seigeworks and fortress building, as well as so resourceful and shrewd, is not something the Imperium could afford to lose in the time of rebuilding after the Heresy.

Now, my personal theory is that Dantioch and his men were absorbed into the Ultras, as is thought to have happened to other loyalists within the traitor legions, before being spat back out during the Second Founding as the officer core of a new chapter. It is, I know, rather unlikely, but it's something I could see Guilliman doing, and this new chapter would obviously use the Ultramarine's Gene Seed, so no complications there.

So, having rambled on for entirely too long, what do you all think my fellow Astartes?

Dantioch and his men could have also met up with the other Loyalist "Traitors" and joined the Sigillite's new fun little band. I don't know that the Ultramarines would just "absorb" Marines from other Legions. It's only a rumor that the members of the two Expunged Legions ended up as Legion XIII.

Absorbed was the wrong word I suppose; I'll revise that to sheltered. My thought was basically just Dantioch's merry band fighting with the Ultramarines during the Great Scouring before the Second Founding.

There is also the possibility of helping to found te GK's, but only one could've gone and I'd place my money on the Iron Palatine rather then Dantioch himself.

Since the goal of the story was that they would go to Terra and help the Imperial Fists fortify the Palace, I doubt they joined the Ultras. More like the handful of survivors joined the Imperial Fists. Or perhaps somewhere in the maelstrom of the Siege lies the corpses of a small handfull of Iron Warriors and an Ultramarine Tetrarch who were defending the wall.

Seeing as we still have a 7 year time-gap to fill, I don't think the tussle with his traitor brethren is the last we'll see of old Dantioch. A character like that has some strong plot armor. Since they didn't kill him in Know no Fear or Mark of Calth, we'll definitely be seeing him again, and before the Siege of Terra most likely. My guess is that he'll crop up in Unremembered Empire.

No, Unremembered Empire would end up taking place after the Ruinstorm was initiated. Guilliman only found out about the betrayal at Calth. That means there is a very small chance for the Tetrarch to get out. So unless the Ruinstorm fizzled out within the next two-ish years, its going to be a pain for everyone to get into Ultramar. Although apparently some White Scars, Dark Angels and Blood Angels will make their way, possibly because they were placed there rather than actually getting in.

• 3 weeks later...
Id always thought that it would be something a bit lazier, like they become the silver skulls after some kind of holy vision? but that would be silly seeing as the silver skulls logo is just a distortion of the iron warriors one and thats all im really going off. Other than that I love dantioch

Apparently word has leaked out regarding Unremembered Empire that he's in there which would make another foul up in the time line since Tauro Nicodemus was present at the battle of Calth then happened to bump into Dantioch in The Iron Within, whereby they held out for a year? Even after Calth supposedly taking place a year after Istvaan V according to the amount of time the Word Bearers and World Eaters spent travelling to Ultramar in Butcher's Nails?

/braindies

Calth was one year after Istvaan V. Iron Within and Savage Weapons were two years. Prince of Crows advanced it to three years. So since Unremembered Empire is after Prince of Crows, the timeline has enough room for us to fit everything in nicely. :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

Very Minor Spoiler ahead:

Dantioch does indeed appear in Unremembered Empire and plays a important role in it. He is not on Macragge but does work with the Ultramarines. The events in Unremembered Empire happens 2 Years after Calth.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't yet read Unremembered Empire. If he survives the HH, then a good chance he ends up with the proto Grey Knights/Inquisition. Having Titan phase out of reality partly into the Warp so it can never be assailed is just mad enough to be a cool Dantioch kind of planet sized fortress. I mean he did design an exploding stalactite fortress.

• 3 months later...

So, having read the short story "The Iron Within" recently and having had some time to mull over it, I was wondering what might have become of it's awesome protagonist, Warsmith Barabas Dantioch.

*SPOILERS*

In the story, as any who have read it would know, Dantioch, his second in command, a Sargent, and two Battle Brothers escape alongside the Ultramarines Honor Guard Nicodemus, seize the Iron Warriors ship in orbit, and then head to meet up with the Ultramarines to join the Battle for Terra.

Now, as we all know, the Ultramarines missed that particular party due to the Battle of Cath, leaving me to think that Dantioch's loyalists managed to meet up with the Ultramarines shortly before Calth as Nicodemus was also present there.

It could be thought that Dantioch and his men were slain during the Battle of Calth or executed shortly after the Heresy for their traitor brother's misdeeds, but I honestly can't see Guilliman allowing that. Throughout The Iron Within it is made clear that the Primarch highly valued Dantioch and had a great plan for him, as I believe Nicodemus even states outright. A loyal Astartes so skilled in seigeworks and fortress building, as well as so resourceful and shrewd, is not something the Imperium could afford to lose in the time of rebuilding after the Heresy.

Now, my personal theory is that Dantioch and his men were absorbed into the Ultras, as is thought to have happened to other loyalists within the traitor legions, before being spat back out during the Second Founding as the officer core of a new chapter. It is, I know, rather unlikely, but it's something I could see Guilliman doing, and this new chapter would obviously use the Ultramarine's Gene Seed, so no complications there.

So, having rambled on for entirely too long, what do you all think my fellow Astartes?

I love this novel and was wondering the same thing. They teleport out of the strong hold and take a ship but was there another novel after? It says that Guilliamn has plans for the old dude so I guess they were incorporated into the ultramarines.

I had a sneaking suspicion that Dantioch makes it to Terra and gives the crazy idea of teleporting into the Vengeful Spirit to the Emps and co because he was the one that used it in the Iron Within to good effect.

At least that's what I thought the story was alluding to/foreshadowing

Archived