Deployed Active Duty military players?

templargdt

Hey gents, question for you.  I'm deploying next month (Afghanistan) and am considering bringing along a PACK 432 full of space marines.

Anyone here on the board ever done this?  This will be my first deployment since I started playing warhammer and I wonder if anyone has tried this previously and it actually worked out for them and they got some games in.  Thanks.

Also, if anyone happens to be in Afghanistan, please drop me a line.

I personally didn't bring any myself, but a colleague of mine (Danish army) brought half an army and got it painted there. don't know about games though.. could be cool, I want pics and battle reports! :D

Godspeed brother.

- Luther

A buddy of mine actually recently got back from Afghanistan.  He took some models with him and got them assembled and painted but said he never had a game.  He basically said, "When you deploy with an MI unit there will be tons of 40k players, but all of them will assume there are none and bring none of their stuff, so make sure to get some coordination with your unit before you guys leave."

US Army, in Afghanistan now. I didn't bring my stuff but I wouldn't want to where I'm at. It all depends on where you are and what you're doing. If you are going to be hanging out on one of the more permanent installations then it might be worth bringing some stuff. If you can't find someone to play with, then at least you can get some building / painting done. If you are on a crappy little COP or moving around like me, then its probably not worth the hassle and risk of losing / ruining minis. Good news for me is that I should be going to one of the nicer FOBs next month for the remainder of my deployment. I might order a couple of the new units to put together / paint when I'm there.

US Army, in Afghanistan now. I didn't bring my stuff but I wouldn't want to where I'm at. It all depends on where you are and what you're doing. If you are going to be hanging out on one of the more permanent installations then it might be worth bringing some stuff. If you can't find someone to play with, then at least you can get some building / painting done. If you are on a crappy little COP or moving around like me, then its probably not worth the hassle and risk of losing / ruining minis. Good news for me is that I should be going to one of the nicer FOBs next month for the remainder of my deployment. I might order a couple of the new units to put together / paint when I'm there.

Over here as a contractor. Were I still in the Corps I wouldnt consider it. With the draw down happening though theres a good chance youll be somewhere relatively built up. There will also be a lot of troops there though so space could be limited.

I would not recommend bringing your warhammer stuff with you to the sandbox. granted I dont know what branch or what MOS you are, I would advise against it. if you really want to try and play some warhammer while deployed, try and print out and make paper cut out of troopers and tanks and such and play PAPERHAMMER 40K. its better to not risk your stuff, and you wont waste a bunch of room stowing your models. just my 2 cents from someone who deployed to afghanistan back in 2010.

• 4 weeks later...

I would recomend just printing out minis from fallout paper tactics... it was something like that.  Fallout tactics came with a paper skrimish game that had similar guys to IG and Space Mareens.  They also had a few different weapon load outs.  They can work well for a quick way to play, and i'm sure you can find the pdf somewhere on line.