A17's Restarted Ultramarines Project

A17roolz

As the new Marine codex is finally out, I decided to restart my Ultramarines. My previous Ultras weren't good enough in my eyes so fresh rules, fresh start. I'll update this topic as I finish new units, but here's what I have so far.

1236860_10151691116264385_2122009832_n.j

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jdDLHbEXgFM/UjXHvEoSIWI/AAAAAAAABFI/We19Ec8BwJE/s1600/ultra1_finished.jpg

Very nice, I think it's a great looking blue. 

How'd you do it? 

Must sat great looking Ultras..

What is your paints  you use to get to that.

Thanks guys.

The blue was done the following way:

1. Basecoat 50/50 Altdorf/Kantor Blue.
  2. Wash of Drakenhof Nightshade.
  3. Highlight all edges with Altdorf Blue.
  4. Second highlight of 50/50 Altdorf Blue and Fenrisian Grey towards the sharpest edges.
  5. Third highlight of pure Fenrisian Grey at the very edges.
  6. Guilliman Blue Glaze.

Very nice, I always like the darker blue look on UM minis and you've pulled it off very well. Sicarius looks great.

What's the kneeling guy behind the sarge doing, by the way, is he throwing a grenade? Can't see his hand.

Excellent work for the most classical legion of all. Perhaps should you push your highlight technique a little further on some parts (black things and most of all, the high part of the "cheek" under the eye, a bit too hard to "read" at first glance, considering your helms lenses are quite dark).

Cheers

Some pretty neat and tidy work here :)

The one thing I dislike is the plasma gun.  It's well painted, but I would go with a different color than blue so that it stands out from the model more.  Green would do fine, but for a real contrast some people do a red-orange that would really pop off of a blue model.

Some pretty neat and tidy work here smile.png

The one thing I dislike is the plasma gun. It's well painted, but I would go with a different color than blue so that it stands out from the model more. Green would do fine, but for a real contrast some people do a red-orange that would really pop off of a blue model.

Red-Orange would be brilliant. It does blend in with all the other blue as it is. The models are GORGEOUS otherwise. Outstanding work!woot.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I took a little time away to paint a miniature for a painting contest with my hobby group (not Marine related so I can't post it, sorry!) but currently I'm working on my second combat squad at the moment. But really appreciate the comments!

Some pretty neat and tidy work here smile.png

The one thing I dislike is the plasma gun. It's well painted, but I would go with a different color than blue so that it stands out from the model more. Green would do fine, but for a real contrast some people do a red-orange that would really pop off of a blue model.

I see your point and did have the same thought. However, I painted Sicarius aaaages ago with blue, so I kept it blue to keep uniformality, but I completely see your point. I tried to make it a much brighter blue to contrast slightly...

Very nice, I always like the darker blue look on UM minis and you've pulled it off very well. Sicarius looks great.

What's the kneeling guy behind the sarge doing, by the way, is he throwing a grenade? Can't see his hand.

Yep, he's throwing a grenade. I got the idea of resting his bolter on his knee purely by chance when I fiddled around with positions.

Archived