Thanks JackDaw...it's always great to get someone who's influenced you commenting on your work! I agree with over-riding themes to base your work around, and at the moment the main theme for the Astartes involved, both loyal and traitor, seems to be the collision between what the Astartes were meant to be during the time of the Emperor (even if that's now debased and corrupted) and what they now mean in the 41st millennium. I'm hoping to use both the small Scions force and the background characters such as the Kerishian PDF, the Ethnarch and various Inquisitorial forces to explore this.

Of course, that involves a fair bit of planning, and I'll be honest, I've wung it a fair amount up to this point! I'm going to need to sit down soon and work through it, as the fluff is starting to get to the stage whereby I'll need to jot down who fights who and what the effects are. We'll see how it goes, and hopefully it'll match up to the high standards I've set for myself.

Also, the Iron Talons could always do with a new Librarian ;)

• 3 weeks later...
'I watched that Astartes bird fall from the sky like its wings had been clipped, dropping faster and faster. The thing I remember is the noise. There was none, just silence. About fifty metres from the deck, the damn thing kicked its thrusters in, dropped into a hover outside a rebel-held building, and just starts shredding everything moving inside. That's the thing about Astartes weaponry, it's the sound of death, pure and cleansing. It fired off four missiles into the remains of the structure, and before the explosions had even dissipated it was gone. 

I know our flyboys are crazy, but that Talon did things that should be impossible...'

Eleam Ilisdur, 38th Joturn Dragoons, Militarum Tempestus.

Above can be seen the Crimson Shrikes Storm Talon 'Tangent Diagonal'. This Talon was piloted by Alekine Tobor of the IIIrd Company, and mostly deployed with its sister Talon 'Avalanche Rampant'. Tobor was a master of the famed combat technique, the Corvusfall, whereby a Shrike pilot will climb to cloud level or higher and cut all power. The Talon will drop, being manouvered to resemble a damaged or out of control craft until the fighter has nearly crashed, at which point the Astartes pilot will use the Talon's superior thruster tech to control the descent as close to base level as he dares, the Marine's enhanced biology keeping him conscious throughout the G-stresses involved. This provides the element of surprise which the Talon will use to strike at its target using Skyhammer missiles and assault cannon. After the attack, the Talon will boost back to combat ceiling to scout its next target.

During the Shrine War, Alekine and 'Tangent Diagonal', in conjunction with 'Avalanche Rampant' were responsible for over 35 confirmed enemy heavy armour kills. After the destruction of 'Rampant', Alekine was tasked with enemy light armour and infantry disruption, the sound of howling afterburners being the last thing many rebels would hear. 

• 3 weeks later...
Over the last few days I've been working on my Knight, Martyr Blue, as I was concerned I had had a lull in painting and wanted something different to have a go at. Unlike my Shrikes who are cleaner than clean, I wanted my Knight to be as grotty as possible yet still able to function. The Knight house in my background are an ancient order from the Dark Age, and try to have as little to do with the Imperium as possible, meaning that their machines are relics from a time long gone, and I wanted to represent this with some real wear and tear. The armour plates on this guy will be weathered with powder, but not to a huge extent, as House Erritan believe that the colours of the house are sacred, but that the machine that carries them is just a tool. 

I'm aware that the amount of grime will possibly be a massive no-no in some eyes, but having tested the fitting of the armour, it does get cut down due to the amount covered. Also, this is still heavily WIP. With that said, any C&C will be greatly appreciated.

And finally, a little treat to myself. I've never had the room to put any kind of display cabinet in place, but after some recent rejigging within my house, I've managed to get the following in place! There's nothing like having your finished work within a display cabinet, even if it's only your own :P

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-w-xOTqeY538/VAmoNuuIJzI/AAAAAAAAAkA/7L-oIqWYa58/s640/1409919017454.jpg

The cabinets look great, dude. As for the Knight, we're on the same page. The dirtier the better. My Queen is way more jacked up than yours and I think it only adds to her character. I'm in the midst of a serious hobby lull since my cat knocked the Queen off my desk and smashed her pretty well. Haven't done much since, but seeing yours finally gives me a little boost. Keep it up, bro.

That's a tough break Jeff! I remember when my Jack Russell ate a Dark Angels plasma cannon. The old, metal plasma cannon! However, you can always use the repair process to test and refine your work, maybe catching parts that haven't quite clicked for yourself. I hope the repairs go well. In the meantime, here's something else to motivate you. I've painted and glued the face and hood on, and before that I thought Martyr looked cool...but now?

ICE. COLD.

It's amazingly satisfying to start getting the plating on, and give you that feeling of 'I can finish this, I can, and I will!' Have a go, and see if that doesn't break you through the lull :)

That's a tough break Jeff! I remember when my Jack Russell ate a Dark Angels plasma cannon. The old, metal plasma cannon! However, you can always use the repair process to test and refine your work, maybe catching parts that haven't quite clicked for yourself. I hope the repairs go well. In the meantime, here's something else to motivate you. I've painted and glued the face and hood on, and before that I thought Martyr looked cool...but now?

ICE. COLD.

It's amazingly satisfying to start getting the plating on, and give you that feeling of 'I can finish this, I can, and I will!' Have a go, and see if that doesn't break you through the lull :smile.:

Pics or it didn't happen, bro! 

And yeah, I'll be able to put her back together, but her chain ladder is toast. The plastic rod busted. I'm still noodling over different ideas for that. Of course, I also melted one of the leg armor plates with a magnifying lens and almost started my house on fire. Still debating about whether that can be rationalized as battle damage. I swear, this project is truly cursed. 

Now, let's see some pics of that face! 

I´m absolutely love the weathering on that knight! It´s a shame that the face plate covers all the cool mechanics beneath but like you said: Ice. Cold. :tongue.: He looks really menacing now.

And yeah, I'll be able to put her back together, but her chain ladder is toast. The plastic rod busted. I'm still noodling over different ideas for that. Of course, I also melted one of the leg armor plates with a magnifying lens and almost started my house on fire. Still debating about whether that can be rationalized as battle damage. I swear, this project is truly cursed. 

How in Holy Terra did you manege that?! :blink.:

I´m absolutely love the weathering on that knight! It´s a shame that the face plate covers all the cool mechanics beneath but like you said: Ice. Cold. :tongue.: He looks really menacing now.

How in Holy Terra did you manege that?! :blink.:

It was sitting on my hobby desk and sun came in through the window. :( Here are some pics. 

I've spent the last two weeks painting Martyr Blue on and off, spending about 30 mins to an hour a night over two weeks getting the armour panelling finished. As of about 12.30 this afternoon, I glued the last shin plate in place, and could finally say I'm done with the painting! He's been a surprisingly easy model to paint, and most of my hardships were with the mixture of armour plate colouring, which I think I've got in a nice ratio so the blue is the dominant colour, but both the black and silver are in a good preportion too.

Presenting Martyr Blue, Foehammer, The Walking Inevitable, Knight-Errant Hzon Esau of the noble House Erritian

This proves to myself that even the biggest project can be tackled if taken in small steps, and that hobby time, even if limited, can be super productive even in short bursts. There's no way I would have thought I could have done Martyr so quickly two weeks ago until I got started, as a model this size can be very daunting. 

So, what's next? Well, I need to finish basing him, and after that transfers (you can see where they will be going due to the gloss varnish on the plating. And after that, well, I've ordered some weathering powders from Forgeworld and they'll be used to make Martyr look like an ancient machine from before the dawn of the Imperium. If anyone does have some good advice or guides they'd be willing to share, that would be great as this will be a new painting experience for me.

The next update should have both the finished model, and some background into both Martyr Blue and House Erritian, looking at their role within the Fourth Shrine War and their relationship with the Imperium. Let's just say it's...difficult.

Looking good man! I was going to ask about the gloss but you explained it. I can't wait to see the transfers. As for powders, make sure you have some mineral spirits (white spirits in the UK) and be careful about putting too much on. They're not nearly as simple to use as oil paint weathering, but they are nice for a really dry and dusty look. Take a look at my blog again and check out her legs. The last couple of leg posts have a bunch of pics of the powders. I think I went way heavier than you'll want to, but that was just done with a small dry rush, loaded up with the pigments, and sort of dabbed on. I then took a brush dampened with spirits and touched it on the rust spots. Capillary action pulls it across the model. In some spots I used the spirits to remove some of the pigment and soften or blend in the effect. They don't come off as easily as oils do, though, so start conservative and add more as you go.

'The woe of our House cannot be contained within our walls and our hearts. The Primordial Annihilator has come to wage war upon us through your actions and your subterfuge, and they have taken my son. I will unleash my Knights, and they shall bring death and pain to the Great Foe. But hear this, Inquisitor. Your words of alliance are but piss and ashes to me, and my humours would be greatly settled by seeing you strung from Omenstrider's chassis. These words are not threats.'
Knight-Baroness Oula Sammanta, Pilot of 'Omenstrider', Matriax of the House Erritian. Spoken at the Red Concord. 

'The Knights of House Erritian are a callous bunch of inbreds. And they are entirely nessesscary to the Shrine War. After the Ethnarch is dead, I shall be glad to sign the order that brings them to heel, and if they will not, if they snarl and claw like an unbroken dog, I will have them put down. They may have sailed the waves of history since before the Dark Age, but I will end them, and I will feel joy.'
Inquisitor Judia Isut

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-P-GxT7pkRSk/VCgL-1fgR4I/AAAAAAAAAlo/qYLbCqEM9_8/s640/20140928_140800.jpg

Above can be seen the Knight-Errant Hzon Easu of the House Erritian, controlling the machine known as 'Martyr Blue'. This Knight, along with the brother Knights 'Celestial Indigo' and 'Cerulean Invective' were deployed to the Kerrishian System to provide short term super-heavy support until the forces of the Mechanicus could translate into the sector. In this, they were more effective than even the Astartes of the Crimson Shrikes, and the blaring horns of the Knights were greeted by the Kerrshian PDF as the sound of doom for the foe. However, as with the Knights of Old Earth, Esau and his brothers were only interested in personal honour, and frequently would leave Imperial forces open to counter attack by rebel infantry formations, seeing them as little more than ants and with no promise of glory.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-fqIjJNsyWHY/VCgL_e6vWZI/AAAAAAAAAlw/v_CbvAlg5ok/s640/20140928_140814.jpg

To the Imperium, the continued existence of the the Knight Household of Erritian was a mystery. Formed in the Dark Age, before the rise of the New Man known as the Emperor, the House was notorious for its insular nature, refusing to choose between the traitors and loyalists of the heresy, and only involving itself in Imperial affairs where the future of the House is in jeopardy. This led to rumours that dark and insidious forces were at work within the House, with the Knights being accused of both fleshweaving, and strange rituals to honour their dead. The only thing the House would say on these matters, if indeed anything was said, was that the House is all, and that all brother and sister Knights must return to the House. 

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-Leq1_FuyBEQ/VCgMAbS7npI/AAAAAAAAAl4/fpSjVzTyJsk/s640/20140928_140833.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-JprDCtJtFSg/VCgMBcfT8MI/AAAAAAAAAmA/TEDFcwLr8WM/s640/20140928_140908.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-cjhwEqWleIg/VCgMCT3MZVI/AAAAAAAAAmI/TsWA_RRc0wE/s640/20140928_140931.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-P3_yRnY-AjM/VCgMFIX2pTI/AAAAAAAAAmg/a-x9qLRoPDo/s640/20140928_141020.jpg

'Martyr Blue' was the only survivor of the three Knights from the War. 'Cerulean Invective' was destroyed by a Great Brass Scorpion, while 'Celestial Indigo' broke formation during combat against Black Legion traitors, striding into strange coloured fog. After three days missing, and only receiving strange, gut-wrenching static when attempting to fix the Knight's location, 'Celestial' was declared lost. 'Martyr Blue' was, after the War, detroyed along with the rest of House Erritian after their home world was invaded by Raven Guard and Angels of Porphor Adeptus Astartes under the orders of Inquisitor Judia Isut to bring the Household under the yoke of Imperial control. Rumours that this action was rather to annihiliate the Knights rather than install Imperial rule are spoken in the dark corners of the Inquistion.

Thanks Jeff, I do enjoy working on bits of fluff writing. I find it adds so much more to any model I'm working on. In fact, Martyr would have been up earlier but I couldn't quite crack the story I wanted to tell.

Glad you like the bronze too, it was a bit of an experiment as I'd never really done it to that scale before, but I'm really pleased with the end result :)

Yeah, both are great. As for the bronze, the verdigris is perfect because it ties the metalwork in with the blue green paint. The whole thing looks suitably ancient, yet lethal. Just as it should. 

The fluff is great. I love that you capitalized on the kernel of fluff that indicates how independent some Knight houses are. Also, any story which shows how vindictive, petty, and selfish Inquisitors can be rings true for me. A group of people with effectively limitless power in a society that offers it to virtually nobody is bound to be corrupted by it. The fact that he would go so far to destroy these powerful allies speaks volumes. It's the fallacy of the 'you're with us or you're against us' mentality, but you're not heavy handed about it at all. 

Thanks for the comment. The Talon is going to have some white transfers when I can be bothered to get them on there, so hopefully that should help to tie it into the bird's markings. It better had, I hate painting white! :P

Thanks for the comment. The Talon is going to have some white transfers when I can be bothered to get them on there, so hopefully that should help to tie it into the bird's markings. It better had, I hate painting white! :tongue.:

Uh oh... Here we go with white transfers again... What's your game plan, Kobrakei. Let's talk. :D