Marauders Librarian

Dam13n

WIP Topic:  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/279849-new-space-marine-librarian-updated-200913/

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/MaraudersLibrarian03_zpsee1e0b51.jpg

Completed today.

I saw the new plastic Librarian and couldn't help buying it.  I knew it deserved a decent paint job the moment I saw it and, as my local GW was having a "new space marine model" competition (being judged this Saturday), I knew this model would have to be my entry.

I quickly decided on Marauders as they were my DoW colour scheme of choice.  I like yellow marines, but really disliked the almost orange-y yellow of the 'Eavy Metal Teams' Imperial Fists, so as Marauders have a paler yellow as their scheme, they really appealed.

The Flaming Sword chapter symbol also helped make that decision.

I decided on the dark turquoise colour instead of the normal blue as it would contrast nicely with the yellow, especially when using red as a spot colour.  Plus I've always been a fan of the pre-heresy Sons of Horus and the post-heresy Alpha Legion schemes, so this was a great opportunity to try and paint a scheme that was somewhere between the two.

As I was painting, the idea of giving the armour a slight NMM quality crept in, not to represent a metallic armour per-say but to give a reflective effect to the armour which helps it pop in the right places.

Having done that, I initially couldn't decide whether or not to use NMM techniques for the actual metallic areas.  However I'm glad I didn't as it would've made the armour look like NMM rather than reflective as I wanted.

I wanted to add a slightly sinister feel to him as well, and the red backlighting effect inside the Psychic Hood was perfect for this.  Plus it was a great opportunity to have another go at OSL (something I've tried before, but never really succeeded with) in a controlled way that wouldn't interfere with the model as a whole, but instead add a nice little something extra.

The face was another place where a little darkness could be implemented.  As such I used the Advanced Faces tutorial from an old White Dwarf to get a nice contrasted face with plenty of deep creases to convey a sense of anger and malice.  The white beard helps this as it adds a contrasting are of lightness, as well as giving him a more aged appearance in keeping with his rank as an Epistolary (denoted by the markings on his tabard).

The staff was an attempt to add a narrative element to the paintjob that the model itself suggests.  The idea that he's charging the staff ready to unleash a blast of psychic energy.  With that in mind, I tried to give the impression that the psychic power is being channelled through his hands into the haft, resulting in the colour of the runes bleeding into the haft itself as the power is channelled.  I then added another little bit of OSL in the eye sockets of the Skull at the tip of the Staff to represent just how close he is to unleashing that psychic blast.

So, there he is.  Comments and Critiques welcome of course.  (I still have a few days left if anybody notices anything glaringly wrong)

Regarding the shininess of him, it's not entirely the paint job.  In real life he's not that shiny, promise.  It's an unfortunate combination of the glazes I used and the bright desk lamp I use to light my models when I take pictures resulting in him looking more shiny than he does in reality.

The cloth isn't actually shiny at all.  The armour is a little, an after effect of Guilliman Blue Glaze, which I liked when combined with the reflective style of the armour.

Thanks for the comments all, much appreciated.

Well, competition was yesterday and was actually a staff vote for a change. 

(Fantasy reveal day so not many kids there to justify a public vote I guess)

Victory was mine, and I received this tasteful little statuette for my efforts:

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/GoldenGoblin_zpsb05aed0c.jpg

The model is now sat in pride of place in GW Poole's display cabinet.

Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

(ps - hope the pic is OK as it's meant to be a "Golden Goblin" award rather than a Fantasy figure.)

Archived