Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chaplain's penance crusade

redemption crusade

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts
  • Chapter Name: Confessors

So, as promised here's my thread for my Dardanelles crusade, going along with the penitent crusade modelling & painting challenge started by Furioso Prime.  

For now, I will post only images pertaining to the challenge- leaving questions I have modelling wise and other model pictures in my thread in the WIP section.

Challenge 1 for the penance crusade is an Emperor's Champion! Here is his humble beginnings:

9883227553_642e5ea3b3_c.jpg

Body is Gabriel Seth: flesh tearer symbols have been shaved off the finecast body, head has been removed, kneepads have also been removed.

Shoulders are from the "chaplain with skull helmet" model on GW's website (was originally only going to need one model- for my biker chaplain, but the model was horribly cast, so got another one- and decided to use the shoulder pads here.)

Kneepads will be replaced with those on this model:

The base rubble is from Ivanus Enkomi- picked it up in a trade a while back.  The emperor's champion to be is actually pinned to the base through the rubble, so he doesn't break off the base.  

The black sword will be added onto the model once I get my hands on a finecast emperor's champion- replacing seth's massive chainsword with the iconic black sword we all know and love.

Torso detailing will come from transplanting the reliquaries from this chest onto the now bare Seth chest armor:

The helmet is going to be from the Sevrin Loth set as well, in all likelihood- just need to decide if the helmet should/will have laurels on it; a decision I'm likely going to make when I get the helmet in hands (should arrive some time next week).

Foreseeable problems with this project: Dy fitting seth's cloak onto the model, it does not fit because of the larger chaplain shoulderpads.  So, likely going to need to extend the cape onto the armor with a brooch/shield/etc.  Also, I don't know if Seth's arms, which have been cut, will fit onto the new shoulderpads, again due to size.  SO I may need to "extend" the bicep armor.  If I do that, I'm gonna have to add ornate trim or something to cover whatever surgery I wind up doing.

Things to consider/things im considering: filing off the trim on Seth's cape, giving the cloak a more utilitarian look, and more convincing to paint as leather.  Adding censers on chains to the model somewhere to add to the sense of movement.  Adding more rubble/details to the base- I want to avoid trophies like chaos helmets as much as possible. 

Lastly: the shoulderpads on this model have circular fields shown here:

Do I leave those as is? Or do I add a shield onto them?  Either way, Crusade badge will be painted onto one, and Emperor's champion's personal heraldry will go on the other.

Well that's it for the initial post folks.  Comments, critique and criticism welcomed and encouraged.  I'll try and update this thread when the next step in the EC's progress rolls around.

Cactus, on 04 Mar 2013 - 13:10, said:

The_Chaplain hath spoken so here endeth the debate! 

Check out the beginnings of my space marine DIY, The Confessors here

gallery_29004_6198_9307.png

The Lord Marshal

The Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 418 posts
  • Chapter Name: Judicators

this should be a cool model

Founder and Master of the Doomgivers                            We are Legion!

Catalog of all my DIYs: http://www.bolterand...TheLordMarshal/

Other interests:  My DeviantArt account: http://the-lord-mars...deviantart.com/

The Fleet Thread http://www.bolterand...-of-the-heresy/

The Artwork IDing Thread http://www.bolterand...-artwork-iding/

Im also on TheDarkCity.net, a Dark Eldar fansite  http://www.thedarkcity.net/u1638

furioso-prime

furioso-prime

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,094 posts
  • Chapter Name: LEGIO VII Imperial Fists

wow man, I thought mine was ambitious! I may have met my match!  those circle things, leave them, I say. could be a great way to break the detail a bit you could say!

"Let our brothers man the walls, We'll take the fight to them.

Recon by fire!"

Praetor Thaddius Mar,"Sabre-6"

LEGIO VII, 2/75th Armoured Cavalry Regiment

"The HellHammers"

Firepower

Firepower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,607 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars
I almost feel like there is going to be too much, but that's partly because I'm so familiar with the very spartan design of the stock Emperor's Champion's armor. teehee.gif

Skull pauldrons don't seem particularly fitting. Very cool, of course, but not exactly appropriate. It feels like you're pouring on the grimdark until the knightly aesthetic is washed out. At the least, between the pauldrons and the reliquary chest, he sounds more like a Chaplain than a EC. Those knees and a knight-head along with the Black Sword may swing the pendulum back the other way enough, though.

I find myself missing the good old crosses and chains (though it's amusing to note that neither of those are on the basic EC model).

At any rate, I find myself blown away by the immense amount of $$$ it would take to acquire all these parts for a single advanced-kitbash biggrin.png

Much respect. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Suffer not the xeno psyker kitten, as to it the souls of man are but balls of yarn and jingly amusements!

No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear! No Kittens!
gallery_17779_6447_16450.jpgBT_Chaos_at_the_Gates_Banner.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013F.gif
Templars a la Firepower -- IA: Broken Arrows -- Broken Arrows WIP Blog -- My Crummy Sketches

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts

I almost feel like there is going to be too much, but that's partly because I'm so familiar with the very spartan design of the stock Emperor's Champion's armor.

True, but in my mind, at least for the Emperor's champion, I subscribe to the notion of "go big or go home".

Skull pauldrons don't seem particularly fitting. Very cool, of course, but not exactly appropriate. It feels like you're pouring on the grimdark until the knightly aesthetic is washed out. At the least, between the pauldrons and the reliquary chest, he sounds more like a Chaplain than a EC. Those knees and a knight-head along with the Black Sword may swing the pendulum back the other way enough, though.

I really wanted to play up the "angels of death" motif for my confessors successor; and with both shoulders being the same and the reliquary chest being set up the way it is, there is balanced aesthetic, which a lot of models lack from GW's range.  It will allow me to go in towards the final stages and add things in like chains (which i've contemplated draping along the upper left thigh and right greave armors).  In my minds eye- the knee pads, the black sword, and the helmet will push the knight visual back, keeping the "pendulum" so to speak, pretty much dead in the middle.

At any rate, I find myself blown away by the immense amount of $$$ it would take to acquire all these parts for a single advanced-kitbash

Not as much as you would think actually, both the chaplain (where the shoulders came from) and gabriel seth had miscasts, so the parts are from replacement models.  The original Seth was a birthday present for someone, and I needed the chaplain for parts in another conversion, etc.  I never throw out any bits/left over model pieces because I know darn well I can eventually make something like this.  It also doesn't hurt that I have a fiance who supports and contributes to funds for the plastic crack addiction in the form of anniversary, birthday, xmas, etc presents. smile.png

Much respect. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thank you kindly, hopefully I don't go mad in the progress of finishing this guy.

Thanks everyone for the kind words so far, I'll update this thread with more EC progress once the next parts come in.  In the meantime, I'll take pictures of my first crusader squad progress and post em in the other thread-- that is, after my chores for the day.  Our bulky Air-conditioner units aren't gonna put themselves back into boxes haha.

Edited by The_Chaplain, 24 September 2013 - 02:28 PM.

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,359 posts

In the immortal words of Edna Mode, "NO CAPES!"

Sorry, I've been wanting to use that line somewhere forever.

@T_C: This is quite an ambitious project. Do keep in mind that conversion just for the sake of conversion can get you in trouble. As your crusade is a derivative of BT, feel free to follow your own style guide, but also keep in mind that there is an elegance in simplicity.

I think you can make your EC look more chaplainy if you justified it in some way, like a chaplain receives a vision from the Emperor to lay down his crozius and pick up a sword, or something like that. Sometimes it helps me to build something when I know why I'm doing it, i.e. I have an image I want to manifest, etc.

I don't know if you were going to do this or not, but you might consider making some GS press molds for those reliquaries on the chest. I love how those look, but I'd hate to cut something up to get them. That way you keep the original (maybe that  becomes a theme) and can make more if you need to.

Just some thoughts, but please do continue. I love the Gabriel Seth figure and had planned on using him for something at some point. I already have converted Lemartes to be in my Vanguard squad.

Cheers,

gallery_15184_7227_5008.jpgFearOurZeal_zps999fea6d.jpg

In Nomine Imperator - BLACK TEMPLARS

The Albigensian Crusade - Doing what the Emperor told us to do until he tells us to stop

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts

Very minor update on my Emperor's Champion today, I was preoccupied with some stuff (read: worked out way too hard at the gym and passed out for a few hours as soon as I got home); also had to give my sister a call- it being her birthday and all.  (Birthdays certainly seem less magical as you get older, that's for sure.)

confessors_emperor_s_champion_wip_2__gap

Just some very minute air bubble and knick filling with greenstuff going on the model today.

Right side side shot

9922790363_6014d48d38_z.jpg

Left side side shot

9922659866_bdd44746cb_z.jpg

and the gratuitous power-armored butt shot.

I posted a bunch of crusader shots, a couple of new command squad biker shots, and a captain androcles "counts as" WIP shot in this thread: http://www.bolterand...-surprises-924/

Have I lit a fire under your butt yet FP? Hahaha, just kidding.

Okay, getting really tired of having to submit photos both on flickr and deviantart just in case the B&C coder doesnt like the file extension, talk about a pain in the butt! Pics should be working now!

Edited by The_Chaplain, 24 September 2013 - 11:38 PM.

• Honda likes this

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts

Well, as many of you are aware Furioso Prime is taking a leave of absence from the board; but I have committed to this overarching "motivational crusade" and intend to finish at the very least my emperor's champion that I vowed.  Whether someone picks up the reigns of said crusade while he's away, I do not know, but as a crusader and a son of dorn I am determined to remain steadfast and true to any oaths I make!

On that note, I have received my Emperor's champion "fine"cast model , and while it is the best "fine"cast model I have received to date, it is not without its defects:  the sword is bent, one of the shoulders slightly misaligned, and there is an air bubble in the cast which has obliterated the point of one of his feet.

I went ahead and emailed GW customer service about getting a replacement, this is not the first time I've had them send out a new model, and I doubt it will be the last.  

Edited by The_Chaplain, 10 October 2013 - 06:22 PM.

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,359 posts

I am still with you brother on this challenge. I am expecting to have my MoS completed no later than early next week.

The Albigensian Crusade - Doing what the Emperor told us to do until he tells us to stop

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts

Very small update on the Emperor's champion- was preoccupied with my stormraven this week.

confessors_emperor_s_champion_4_by_emo_c

The head is temporary, still waiting on the acutal head I'm gonna use to arrive in the mail, but this week I have:

1) Removed Gabriel seth's ab-armor from the torso, as well as his belt buckle.

2) Replaced the belt buckle with the buckle from the Emperor's champion

3) Removed the scroll from the right Seth greave.

I've decided against using Seth's backpack with the cloak, so I'm open to suggestions for a substituion pack: so far Helbrecht's pack with the candleabra removed and the reclusiam command squad chaplain packs are what I've come up with potential, as they are both more "baroque" looking packs.

It's a pendulum between grimdark and antiquated/medieval looking- I like to think it's comfortably in the middle right now.  Thoughts?

Edited by The_Chaplain, 17 October 2013 - 05:52 PM.

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,359 posts

Well, I'd say that your surgery to date, is quite impressive. Oddly (or not), I like this helmet a lot and will have to see if your other selection looks that much better. This helmet is pretty iconic.

In the immortal words of Edna Mode, "NO CAPES!"

whistlingW.gif

Regarding backpacks, I'm more of a minimalist, so I wouldn't go overly fancy on this. If you could, it might help if you took shots of both of them on the back and that might help  with the decision making.

He's impressive, keep up the good work.

Cheers,

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts

Regarding backpacks, I'm more of a minimalist, so I wouldn't go overly fancy on this. If you could, it might help if you took shots of both of them on the back and that might help  with the decision making.

Yeah, that would make things easier- if I had access to either bit.  Haha, this backpack swap is all in theory, I havent committed to the idea fully (or financially) yet.

Reclusiam chaplain backpack: has visible venting system attached to an angular, cathedral like aesthetic.  That backpack has a triangular shape to it which may break up the potential monotony of all of these rounded edges, and provide a grimdark sort of tie in with the chest reliquaries once they're on the chest.  My concern is that it may be too high in terms of point, and visually detract from certain aspects of the model.  With the contrasting angle of the backpack, this is a pack that would have more visual impact and add a little more "drama" to the piece.

Helbrecht backpack trimmed down: minus the candleabra the Helbrecht backpack has a non visible venting system for the backpack, and overall has a rounded aesthetic to it, which also has an air of mystery and antiquity to it.  It, like the reclusiam backpack has a chance to make the suit of armor look that much older, and more unique.  Since it is rounded, it would blend in to the existing curvature and structure of the armor.  This is a more subdued backpack choice between the two.

I wish I knew how to photoshop, I'd slap both backpacks on the model and see what you guys think.  

He's impressive, keep up the good work.

Thanks Honda, I will- just after the weekend is over- familial obligations and all that crap. 

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts

okay so the forum shutdown ate all our voting from yesterday, so gonna reupload the pictures now.  No guarantee we won't have another server data loss but what can you do?

Option 1 "head on"

Option 1 "rear":

Option 2 "head on":

Option 2 "rear":

Model from a birdseye view:

I believe option 1 was winning yesterday, but like a chump I didn't write it all down before going to bed. I've learned my lesson this time around. 

• Sir_Isenhar likes this

The Lord Marshal

The Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 418 posts

chaplain one just looks like its goes better with the look

Im also on TheDarkCity.net, a Dark Eldar fansite  http://www.thedarkcity.net/u1638

greggles

greggles

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,190 posts

Love love love love love the dynamic pose of the model.  Fantastic!

I swapped to option 1 after seeing the new pose. :)

• Sir_Isenhar likes this

Sir_Isenhar

Sir_Isenhar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 210 posts
  • Chapter Name: 77th Ippotikus Crusade

WOW awesomesauce! very impressive! I will go with option 1 after all!  Really like the pose and your conversion!

Maybe stick a cool cape as well... Maybe Loken's cape from FW might work which shows the running motion.

Or perhaps you are epic and make a GS one by yourself!

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,359 posts

I guess due to the crash, I need to re-state. I would vote for the Helbrecht pack.

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts

Okay folks, been a very long day- between yardwork, removing and replacing insulation in our tiny attic, etc.  and the icing on the cake is I'm not able to see the mrs. this weekend since she's extremely ill and doesn't want me to contract her bug.

SO, I am sitting down at nearly a quarter til 5 on a saturday to begin work on my confessors/EC.  I'm closing the voting, and overwhelmingly option 1 Helbrecht's backpack, is the winner!

Maybe stick a cool cape as well... Maybe Loken's cape from FW might work which shows the running motion.

Interesting idea, hadn't thought to use Loken's cloak, wonder if they sell it online anywhere as a separate bit. If it is, I'll definently do a dry fit and see if it works aesthetically.

Or perhaps you are epic and make a GS one by yourself!

Hahaha, thanks for the faith in me friend, but I'd screw that kind of project up pretty bad my sculpting skills are minimal and I have next to no confidence in them!  (Hoping that will change over time, as I have a lot of projects planned)

I'll keep you guys posted if any progress gets made, and if further voting needs to be done.

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts

Okay folks, I got a donation from a generous benefactor via the mail today- and have been working on the emperor's champion off and on the last couple hours; including replacing his chestpiece entirely.  I am going to put some pictures up hopefully tomorrow night, or friday- need the fiance to show me how to adjust the camera, its focus settings got turned wonky, I cant take a non blurry pic to save my life with it right now.

A new round of voting will be opened up to vote on 2 head options when pics get uploaded.  Stay tuned.  

greggles

greggles

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,190 posts

I'm excited! Can't wait to see!

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts

I'm excited! Can't wait to see!

Well, I hope these pictures won't disappoint then- had to take them before the rain started.

Let's jump straight into it then, shall we? Today's agenda is posting 2 head options for voting!

Option 1: Sevrin Loth Honour Guard head "charging":

10608886624_0ca2479fc8_z.jpg

Option 1 "sidelong":

10609190373_708a67e497_z.jpg

I personally like this helmet, because it looks somewhat similar to the helmet the black templars wore in the space marine video game:

10570481005_6c9e90b92e_m.jpg

option 2 is the emperor's champion default head, here's what it looks like on the new torso (sorry if it looks wobbly, it's because it is- I'd have to cut the back of the head to fit it in to the gorget armor or something)

10608971316_41bc3ae911_z.jpg

and the "sidelong shot"

10609201813_758caa2e38_z.jpg

Which head do you like better 1 or 2?  Keep in mind I could easily put laurels onto head option 1.  Hell, I could even put the studded bar onto the grille and wiring from the space marine video game helmet onto 1, we'll call that option 3.  1 2 or 3 folks?

Once this is settled, I need to tidy up the chest and get the arms affixed (any insight into that by the way, dont want to make the arms look freakishly long).

And, since Halloween was scant hours ago, I leave you with this year's pumpkins!

10608983336_56cd5cc323.jpg

a cheshire cat! (we actually mounted him on a ladder with a black tablecloth so it looked like it was floating in midair from the street)

And of course, what's a warhammer related thread without....

10608996816_4148c5f223_c.jpg

A skull!  (I don't think I'll be attempting negative space pumpkin carving again anytime soon. It doesn't help that the pumpkin was harder than ceramite either haha)

Hope you had a happy halloween guys, I certainly did!

Edited by The_Chaplain, 01 November 2013 - 02:36 PM.

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,359 posts

Well, I'm surprised to hear myself say this, but I like option 1. The second helmet is very obviously EC, so you will have instant recognition on the part of your opponents, but I really like the first one because it's "close", but uncommon and different...which I see as a good thing.

greggles

greggles

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,190 posts

Head #1! HEAD #1 !!!!!!!

Cat pumpkin is AWESOME!  I can not wait to see the champ finally done.  It is going to be such an epic model.

The Lord Marshal

The Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 418 posts

i will always support anything from that honor guard kit. i absolutely love those models! especially the heads!

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,120 posts

Thanks for the replies so far guys! 

Head #1! HEAD #1 !!!!!!

I swear greggles your enthusiasm is contagious!

Cat pumpkin is AWESOME

Thanks, pretty proud of my pumpkins this year- first time ever attempting something besides the "traditional" square teeth and such.

i will always support anything from that honor guard kit. i absolutely love those models! especially the heads!

They are beautiful.  I'm going to have a lot of fun with them, that's for sure.   

Well, I'm surprised to hear myself say this, but I like option 1

Haha, I had a feeling I'd surprise you with this one Honda! 

I really like the first one because it's "close", but uncommon and different...which I see as a good thing.

That's more or less my feelings on the subject too. Visually it's similar, but it has just the slightest darker, more sinister edge to it.  Does the helmet need the laurels in your opinion?

BTW Honda, this is abit unorthodox- but do you have any pictures of your chapterhouse stormravens taken from where the GW kit meets the conversion kit? I want to see the panels in detail and your golden geese are beautiful.  I...well, I'm now in the "stormraven proportions are hideous" pool of thought.  

Edited by The_Chaplain, 01 November 2013 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users