Irwits Blood Angels Army

irwit

Cheers for the comments guys.

The eyes are based on a tutorial for glowing eyes on cmon. It takes a while to build up the layers but I think it really brings the model to life.

The red took a long time and test miniatures to figure out a way I was happy with so I'm glad you like it. Its kind of how I imagine the Adrian smith images looking in colour when I see them in black and white.

Here is another guy.

Blood Angel 2

The recipe probably sounds a bit long but really it isnt too bad and with red being sucha tricky colour to get working right I think it is worth the effort.

Firstly I use an airbrush, I haven't tried with a proper brush, I guess it should still work. I just find with these reds to get a deep coat you need so many thin layers. Anyway.

few coats of Vallejo model air fire red.
few coats of vallejo model air scarlet red in large highlights. I use the airbrush for this so this goes on shoulder pads, knees, helmet etc.
gloss varnish coat. I use vallejo gloss varnish.
couple of thin black oil washes
fix these washes with some white spirit and cotton buds so the shading is very neat
Now with a brush I edge highlight with the scarlet red vallejo model air.
Then another highlight with vomit brown
now a good wash with GW Carroburg crimson or other. This really gives you a deep finish and blends the existing highlights so the red looks realistic and sits properly. This is probably the most important part to get the right look.
Then a quick re highlight with vomit brown
a final touch with bleached bone on the very edges.
Finally a thin matte varnish spray, I use a watered down Windsor and Newton through the airbrush.

I know it sounds quite labour intensive but with an airbrush I could get a 10 man squad up to finished oil washes in a couple of hours no problem, although a hair dryer helps to speed up the varnish drying. I am however doing these guys one at a time so it takes me quite a while to get a guy done but I enjoy painting this way a lot more as it feels less conveyor belt and more that if I want to go to town on a certain section I can do.

BA

Here is an actual WIP.  This is the finished stage of the armour before all the battle damage and other details.  Its amazing how the battle damage,  details and OSL on the eyes really brings the paint work to life.  I always think I have painted the guy wrong at this stage as it looks so different to a finished model. 

Cheers

I have an 1850 point list I would like to build,  however the list is actually from the new Space Marine codex.   I have some honour guard and bikers to paint after this tactical squad.   FOr honour guard I am using these guys

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Legiones_Astartes/Emperors_Children/EMPERORS_CHILDREN_LEGION_PALATINE_BLADES_SQUAD.html

Fingers corssed my greenstuff skills can get them looking more blood angels like.  These models are basically what made me wanta  blood angel army.  Except for scale they are pure adrain smith blood angels artwork.  Overly ornate marines. Think they will be tricky to paint though so fingers crossed!

Glad you asked actually as I had totally put the wrong reds in the recipe above. Its actually a base of fire red followed by scarlet red. This will still be quite bright and not deep enough. That is achieved by the carroburg crimson gw wash

Awesome shade of red, thanks for the tutorial I've just a couple of questions though - is the first brush highlight with VMA red and not one of the other shades used to basecoat? Also is the Carroburg crimson wash applied heavily (ie splashed on) or neatly?

Glad you asked actually as I had totally put the wrong reds in the recipe above. Its actually a base of fire red followed by scarlet red. This will still be quite bright and not deep enough. That is achieved by the carroburg crimson gw wash

Thanks for the info, I think the wash might be the key. I'll give it a go and see how it turns out

Archived