Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

JJD's Dark Angels

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Hello all. I am new to the site as you can see by my post count. I am also fairly new to the hobby. I have been painting for just under 2 years and have only played a couple of small games. My wife bought me the 5 ultramines starter painting kit for Xmas to help me find a new hobby to crack my warcraft addiction. Little did she know what she had started. Having had a go at a few ultramarines I got hold of DV. I thought I would share my progress. I am very much still learning and settling into my style. You'll notice various attempts at robes and power swords.

These are my first attempts from the DV box

gallery_74577_9223_939913.jpg

gallery_74577_9223_1332793.jpg

gallery_74577_9223_315833.jpg

ICs With something a bit bigger

gallery_74577_9223_1827468.jpg

Edited by JJD, 21 June 2014 - 08:12 PM.

• Grand Master Belial, FerociousBeast, Burias-Drak'shal and 9 others like this

[TA]Typher

[TA]Typher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 961 posts
Everything looks great!

Elodin

Elodin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts

I'm impressed, especially with the Deathwing Terminators it can be hard to make them not look like either Apocrathary Termies or Christmaswing, so great job with that.

I like the highlighting on the Tacticals, it's enough to be noticeable at a distance but not overblown.

Finally I think you did a good job with the flesh, that's always the thing that messes me up the most, I can just never seem to paint flesh without having it be super thick or so thin I have to paint on 12 coats, which of course leads it to being overly thick. Overall a great job.

Tanhausen

Tanhausen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,340 posts

Welcome on board!

Those are your first painted models? Holy Moly!

Herald of DA fun, vocal supporter of proper manners and fostering enjoyment!

2015 Projects - FW Dreadnought Chaplain WIP Painting a Hellbrute just for fun

ETL_03_Custos_Fidei_Vow_01.jpgETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
Thanks for the comments. A friend donated some more DV tact squads to help grow my army. These are my 1st attempts at minor conversions. I

gallery_74577_9223_1893576.jpg

gallery_74577_9223_850596.jpg

gallery_74577_9223_678268.jpg

Edited by JJD, 21 June 2014 - 08:15 PM.

• Firepower, egon1six, Galthan Ironsturm and 1 other like this

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts

Not Quite my 1st I painted a tact squad and a terminator squad of Ultras before DV gave me my true calling

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
This is the last image but I though it would show the progress

gallery_74577_9223_924962.jpg

You can also see the origional robes on the DV Sgt that i repainted.

Edited by JJD, 21 June 2014 - 08:18 PM.

• egon1six and Urael like this

Brother Moridius

Brother Moridius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 140 posts

Holy poopsicles batman just a few squads in and your models look this good? life really isnt fair sometimes... In all seriousness great look models brother! The Deathwing are exceptional. Keep up the good work, and dont forget to take a group shot of all your work once you have an army's worth of models.

gallery_57102_7771_3906.jpggallery_57102_7771_5940.jpg

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
Despite my most recent painting project converting my study into a nursery I finally finished these guys. The lighting isnt the best and loses some of the more subtle highlights but I'm very happy

gallery_74577_9223_328247.jpg

Edited by JJD, 21 June 2014 - 08:16 PM.

• egon1six, Galthan Ironsturm and Urael like this

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
I don't know how much time I will get for painting but I still have my 2nd set of deathwing and ravenwing from DV along side the left overs from my DWK and a RW upgrade spruce so I'm going to search for inspiration.

Edited by JJD, 05 February 2018 - 08:20 AM.

Shubniggurath

Shubniggurath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 98 posts

I will admit I'm jealous, really pinch.gif . These look great! Keep up the great work. 

hardimanm

hardimanm

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
  • Faction: White Scars

WOW....you are a natural.  That is very impressive.  Keep it up

EPK

EPK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,991 posts

Very well done! I insist your next investment is in a pin vice so you can drill out those barrels.

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
EPK your not the first person to say that. Ill have to make the effort to get one.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,524 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
JJD, all your posted material is looking very nice! Awesome to see someone kick the Warcrack habit in favor of plasticrack! It's a lot more fun and has more custom options. :D
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners
Posted Here: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the War and Wolves): PCA WiP Forum
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
Yay I swapped one addiction for another.
  • Brother Alanticus likes this

DarkMark

DarkMark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 620 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Great start! I'd grab and mix in a box of the new tacticals just to break up the obvious DV look, but otherwise carry on.

mdaro

mdaro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts

Great job! Finally getting back to painting my DA. I love your highlighting, thats been my biggest stumbling block (highlighting power armour). Going to do some this week and conquer that fear.

The Shadow Guard

The Shadow Guard

++ GRAND MASTER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,437 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels Legion

JJD, that is some serious talent there. Extremely crisp work. I have two comments for improvements.

1. Drill out the stormbolters of the Deathwing squad

2. Your troops need a transport so please give them an APC or a tank and enter the tank in to the Currus Belli contest!!whistlingW.gif

SG

• elmo likes this
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
+++ Shadow Guard +++ Keeper of the Fortress +++ Member of the Inner Circle +++

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
My painting has come to something of a crashing halt since my little girl was born but I finally have 2 more Ravenwing finished to add to the squad. Im quite happy with the conversions considering my very limited bits box. Im not really as happy with the black armour highlights as I am with the bone white but Im still learning. I have a final Ravenwing squad member to convert along with a command squad and Land Raider Crusader but at the current rate 7th will be out before I get them finished. gallery_74577_9223_727285.jpg

Edited by JJD, 23 January 2014 - 12:48 PM.

• Bryan Blaire, egon1six, Galthan Ironsturm and 1 other like this

Gillyfish

Gillyfish

++ PRIMANI PERSEQUOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,095 posts

Firstly congratulations on being a Daddy, I'm impressed you've found any time to paint!

Secondly, the bikes look good. Black can be a surprisingly hard colour to highlight well. I try to use a very dark grey thinned suitably for the first highlight and then a mid-grey for the starkest highlight. The trick with the second highlight is to thin it again so that there is enough pigment to lighten the existing highlight, but not so much that it forms a strong grey line.

Another thing I've found with the darker colour (first highlight) is to pick one which either has an element of brown or blue in it, depending upon the colour you're looking for. That actually provides a bit of depth to the miniature, suggesting colour to the monochrome. I would still pick a neutral grey for the second highlight though.

You'll have to forgive my lack of familiarity with the new paints, but you could try Dryad Bark followed by Dawnstone (perhaps - it's hard to say when you don't have them in front of you).

The other thing to do is wash the black parts of the model with black after you've completed the highlights to darken them down a touch. The result should be a noticeable, but not garish highlight. Don't forget you can also tidy up highlight lines that are too thick with abbadon black.

Like Space Hulk? Join the Indomitus project! http://www.bolterand.../184-indomitus/

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
As this is my first vehicle I decided to go all out and paint the interior. I went for a light colour to hopefully make it easier to see through the hatches. Now to work out how best to build and paint the rest of the tank.

gallery_74577_9223_1435943.jpg
  • egon1six, Urael, GreyRavenC and 1 other like this

Gillyfish

Gillyfish

++ PRIMANI PERSEQUOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,095 posts

Excellent work, as ever. I ma most impressed by the black-lining which really makes things pop. It's a very clean style. The work on the lenses is first rate too.

Like Space Hulk? Join the Indomitus project! http://www.bolterand.../184-indomitus/

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
Finally after months of doing a bit here a bit there I have a finished land raider. I had a bit of a disaster as I painter the sponson’s separately and as I was adding the left one it snapped on the hurricane bolter axis argh. I tried to save it but it has set ever so slightly wonky. It was literally the last step. So this image is taken from its best angle hiding its wonky side. The ramp is magnetised to see the paint job inside.

gallery_74577_9223_1051791.jpg

Edited by JJD, 19 April 2014 - 06:18 PM.

• egon1six and Urael like this

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 966 posts
Didn't realise how out of focus that picture is. I will have to take another when I get chance. Next is a command squad with banner. Let's see how long I take this time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)