JJD's Dark Angels

JJD

I haven’t picked up a paint brush for a couple of months. Even ETL hasn’t motivated me I’m just to tired by the time I get home from work. My wife was out last night and after the kids went to bed I decided to finish my scouts that have been sitting half finished for months.

They aren’t my best work I rushed a bit to get them finished whilst I had the chance and a bit of motivation.

I really struggled with the eyes I think I need some new brushes. I will need to clean them up at some point but they are ready for the table top.

gallery_74577_9223_1382179.jpeg

Edited by JJD

• 2 weeks later...

All finished. Well I might have another crack at the eyes with a new brush but other than that I’m happy.

Sometimes the base makes all the difference.

The hellblaster heads worked as well as I hoped. It keeps the scout aesthetic without the deformed jaw line. In a close up photo they may be a little bit big for the body but nothing you notice at tabletop level.

gallery_74577_9223_417202.jpeg

Edited by JJD

• 3 weeks later...

Nah, it's just enough. I would have gone even further and add some red to the fist. Nice work on the dread JJD.

Thanks GRC. The under slung flamer casing is red you can only see a tiny bit from these angles.

Edited by JJD

• 2 weeks later...
My plan was to give my receptor a bit of a more semiconductor base as a centre piece to the army. I was planning to finish it last night after visiting hobby craft on the way home from a family day out but unfortunately it had sold out of the cork role I wanted to do the base. This has stumped me. I can order some on line but with it being a bank holiday there is a strong chance it won’t get here in time to finish the base before the dead line. It a little disappointing but I have a back up. If it doesn’t arrive in time I will just go with Armageddon dust and some tufts like the bulk of the army.

Those heads work perfect for the Scouts. Always hated the Scout heads. No idea why they were designed to be so different from the regular Space Marine heads. it is like they are from a different company altogether, they look so out of place. Dread looks good too. Good job fitting the DA symbols to the curved shoulder plates.

Looks great ! Keep up that good work !

Thanks for encouragement Bevulf.

Those heads work perfect for the Scouts. Always hated the Scout heads. No idea why they were designed to be so different from the regular Space Marine heads. it is like they are from a different company altogether, they look so out of place. Dread looks good too. Good job fitting the DA symbols to the curved shoulder plates.

Thanks Shabbadoo I am very happy with the replacements heads. The standard scout heads just don’t fit with any other space marine heads.

Not sure if you have it where you are but we have a store in Cardiff called what! that has cork rolls

Thanks for the suggestion.

It’s more that I’m back at work now and won’t get chance to go out before the end of the ETL.

Edited by JJD

I got some cork drinks coasters with our supermarket delivery and I think they will work quite nicely. They are a bit thicker than I planed but I think they will work. Hopefully updates this evening. I might actually finish my tiny ETL pledge on time. Every little helps I hope.

I have already posted my finished Redemptor in both the ETL and Rubicon threads so apologies for the spam but I want to post him here too. I am super pleased with how he turned out. I am particularly happy with the base as it ties in with the other bases but is a bit more scenic to suit a large imposing model. I think you can see some good progression in my painting between this and Jingles the Christmas Dreadnought on page 1 one of my first models.

gallery_74577_9223_633717.jpeg

gallery_74577_9223_611343.jpeg

gallery_74577_9223_707658.jpeg

Edited by JJD

Jingles will always have a place in my heart.

Though in hindsight a gold angel atop a predominantly green model with red and gold spot colours was bound to give off a hint of Christmas tree.

Edited by JJD

Perhaps, but what is better to have for a Christmas tree than a Dark Angel Dreadnought: huge, green, full of bling, a sign of hope for his brothers and brings enlightenment (if he has a plasma cannon) .:wub:

Lovely dread JJD. Don't hate on the red, we can't help it that Christmas overused that particular duo of complementary colours.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jingles was one of the first units I painted when I returned to the game after 15 plus years and having not picked up a paint brush since I was about 15 years old. I still use him in games and he looks fine but there are bound to be things I would have done differently. In this case I used less bling and much less gold.

The new receptor was a real joy to paint and I am glad I made a bit more effort with base.

Edited by JJD

Nice job on the Redemptor JJD :tu: Awesome head swap on the scouts. I’ll have to bear that in mind whenever I get around to doing some myself

Thanks Greenz I know I have said it a few times but those heads are ideal for the scouts and with a quick 45 degree cut through the neck they fit perfectly.

Excellent work JJD :)

How did you find the Redemptor to paint?

I really enjoyed painting him it’s an easy model to work with. I have found I enjoy the mid sized models like Rhino’s and Dreadnoughts.

He looks really good at tabletop distance. I can wait to have a game with him.

My birthday is coming up soon so I think I will be asking for a new KR case. It will definitely need slots for another Redemptor and at least a couple of the new Vanguard walkers.

Edited by JJD