JJD's Dark Angels

JJD

Thanks for the comments. Inspired by some of the work I have seen here I want to try some free hand on the command squad banner. I think it will be the banner of devastation. I know someone on the forum posted a nice step by step guide to painting one of the DA banner I think it was fortitude but it will be a good starting point.

• 2 months later...

Looks like image shack isn't hosting my pictures so I've replaced them.

I thought I might include a WIP shot of my command squad

BBCode

I've tried to tone down the contrast in the robes but I'm still finding the light coloured robes to be very unforgiving the dark robes on the knights were much easier to blend

Hmm can't seem to work out how to copy and paste a link from BnC on the iPad I'll have to get some coal to power up my steam driven laptop. Oh how I miss my computer. Edited by JJD

And Paste

gallery_74577_9223_136981.jpg

Let me know which robes you prefer this version or my earlier attempts.

also if anyone can tell me how to copy and paste the BnC image links on an iPad it would be massively appreciated as using my laptop is a form of torture.

Edited by JJD

JJD, on the iPad, open an additional tab and go to your Gallery on the B&C, find the image you want and open it. In the display screen, click Options, go to View All Sizes, click the size you want to display in the thread, and then click on the image itself when it opens. Click on the URL at the top of the screen, highlight it with Select All, then Copy.

Come back to your thread, put down [ img ], then paste the image URL, then put [ /img ] (without the spaces) after it, post and viola, your picture should appear.

The models look fantastic, sir, simply awesome, great job with the robes, the Champion and his combat shield are great, and your red turned out great. Did you use a Black Knight bit for the bolt pistol holder? It all looks great. Keep it up!

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Thanks Bryan that is a huge help.

All the extra bits are from the Ravenwing Command squad. It was better value than a normal command squad as I still have all the bits to make three black knights. I was going to use the Ravenwing banner on a running veteran but a friend donated a banner from the marine command squad as I was keen to try some free hand.

One of my favourite threads here, as there are many fantastic armies in the Unforgiven section, you are really doing the right job ;)

I also can't wait to see the command squad in full strength as I converted them in very similar way, but still can't find enough time and patience to paint them.

What I'm liking about your Greenwing units is the use of the very dark green armour plate you are using as a basepoint. Highlights and robes/reds thus pop in a very satisfying manner.

~ I

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress. Slow and steady as ever.

URL=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/132396-dark-angel-banner/]gallery_74577_9223_36911.jpg[/url]

The question is am I brave enough to go for it with the dakka banner of do I chicken out and try a simpler image

Edited by JJD

Thanks brother erekose. I have tried wet blends previously on power weapons but I wasn't happy with the results. I prefer to build up layers with very thin washes letting the layer bellow show through. It works really well with darker colours such as the red banner or the green robes on my knights but it's harder to do with the light colours.

As for the command squad I used the following thin layers :-

zandari dust, 50/50 dust and ushabati bone, ushabati bone, 50/50 bone and white scar and then white scar. Finally I went back with a very thin zandari dust to hit the shading again.

I have previously used seraphim sepia for the final step then went back with another top hi-light of white scar giving a much higher contrast and whiter looking robes.

Progress wise I have finished the doc and the squad it now complete so I just need to crack on with the banner.

I know I have already posted the same picture in the ETL thread but I wanted to put it here too.

I think the colours are a little bright for an ancient standard and I may re-try the flames but over all I am very happy with the results. I will definatly be doing more free hand from now on.

gallery_74577_9223_1392695.jpg

That looks beautiful, man, and I wouldn't worry too much about the bright colors. The DA probably keep the banner in a stasis field when it isn't used.

If you really did want to try and "weather" the colors some, what about simply using some very thin Agrax Earthshade/Devlan Mud/brown wash across the entire banner surface to tint it a little brownish?

Thanks Bryan. To be honest I think I was being my usual over critical self and the more I look at it the happier I am. It was the same with the robes. Now I need to have a think about what to add next. I still have 2 DV terminator squads and the parts to make 3 standard black knights but I want to add some TH/SS termies too. And my tacticals could use a ride. Hmmm

• 1 year later...

I know I'm bringing my thread back from the dead so please let me know if I need to start a new thread.

It been the best part of 2 years since I finished my last squad. The new house is starting to look like a home and my last painting job was on a bed room to prepare for our next addition to the family. I miss hobbling and now things are more settled I hoping to get back into my Dark Angels. I've clipped and cleaned a couple of black knights and located bits for a librarian on a bike. Progress will still be slow but hopefully I can use this thread to keep me motivated.

This is an image of the mighty Dark Angels as they stand. It was taken some time ago at the old house

Let's see if I can make some progress.

gallery_74577_9223_657438.jpeg

Edited by JJD