JJD's Dark Angels

JJD

Thanks Hod I like the high contrast style. I am pleased with how he is turning out.

To tie him in as a DA I was thinking of painting one of his shoulders green or possibly DW bone white. What are people's thoughts

Edited by JJD

Thanks Grayraven I'm really pleased with him. The only bit I'm disappointed with is the script on the loincloth-parchment. It's ok but I've done better else where.

It's an assault squad next. I haven't painted green in quite a while. Time to see if I've improved.

Thanks Greenz I'm really please and I definatley think I'm improving. I am very happy with both my Chaplains. Happy enough painting black to consider 1st legion in 30k.

• 4 months later...

I haven't done much hobbying recently as I have been studying for an exam at work in September and with two kids and a full time job something had to give. This is also why I haven't picked up a copy of 8th or any Primaris as it would be too big of a distraction. I have got myself an audio cramer class so I did a bit of painting whilst I listen along.

This is the result.

gallery_74577_9223_1215304.jpeg

Edited by JJD

If anyone is interested the assault pads are from Pop goes the monkey and I am very happy with them.

These are the full pad. If anyone has any experience with the curved emblems that sit on top of the pad I would be interested in hearing what they are like.

So I finished the squad.

gallery_74577_9223_490489.jpg

Now I need to build the Sargent. I'm going to use the running my robed body (I'm sure I have one) but what to equip him with. I had a combo flamer ready but that doesn't seem to be n option any more.

Edit

I took this picture on my phone and seeing it now I realize the lighting is a bit poor. The earlier image is more like their true colours.

Edited by JJD

• 1 month later...

Nice work! I agree that your edge highlights are looking sharp. As to the power sword from what I can see from the photo the glazing look good, I'm sure if you keep at it you will nail it soon. I've just changed back to this style of power weapon after doing lightning covered ones for a few years and was unpleasantly surprised at how had it seems to have become with lack of practice :whistling:  so once you feel you've nailed it keep doing it!

Nice work! I agree that your edge highlights are looking sharp. As to the power sword from what I can see from the photo the glazing look good, I'm sure if you keep at it you will nail it soon. I've just changed back to this style of power weapon after doing lightning covered ones for a few years and was unpleasantly surprised at how had it seems to have become with lack of practice :whistling:  so once you feel you've nailed it keep doing it!

Thanks punk. To be honest the glazing is getting there and my edging is sharp where I have a strong edge. Where I am struggling is with the line of white down the center of the blade my hand just isn't steady enough but as ever I will keep trying. I can fake it elsewhere by going back with the base colour and tidying up but you can't do that with the blade.

JJD, for tricky lines like center of the blade I usually water-down a paint quite a lot, it's even better if you'll use medium (like lhamian medium for example) to dillute it. Make sure to remove a lot of paint from the brush and form a nice sharp point before you do the stroke. I rest both of my wrists on the table, the stroke itself should be gentle, barely touching the surface. If your stroke stumbles, stop, repeat. 

For all my freehands like stripes, checkers and letters I do a warm up on a spare piece of paper and draw it with washes few times. Just practice a bit and when you gain confidence do the same on the mini. 

JJD, for tricky lines like center of the blade I usually water-down a paint quite a lot, it's even better if you'll use medium (like lhamian medium for example) to dillute it. Make sure to remove a lot of paint from the brush and form a nice sharp point before you do the stroke. I rest both of my wrists on the table, the stroke itself should be gentle, barely touching the surface. If your stroke stumbles, stop, repeat. 

For all my freehands like stripes, checkers and letters I do a warm up on a spare piece of paper and draw it with washes few times. Just practice a bit and when you gain confidence do the same on the mini.

Thanks Komodo. I think some practice strokes sounds like a pretty good idea. I think one of my issues is the length of time between attempts. I only really paint once every few weeks when the stars align I'm not at work and the kids are in nursery or with a grandparent.

Had a scroll through the various pics in the topic.

You have a very nice army :-D

Thanks Ishgu. Less a couple of Ultramarines when I first started this everything I have painted so whilst I have been at it a few years it's been slow progress. I need to go back and base a few of my models and then I'll have to decide on what's next.

I'm either going to finish my back knights or have a go at another transport.

Since I have a razor back ready to go I will probably build it next. Do you suggest heavy Bolter or lascannon

I would suggest magnets, and failing that, assault cannons - they seem to be very strong this edition. If even that is not an option, then go with Las, has the punch needed.

Edited by Chmur

Assault cannons give a reasonable amount of dakka, great for mowing down almost any infantry and some tougher monsters and light vehicles. IMO lascannon is too expensive for razorback platform, you can get more resilent a better option -- las predator. My single predator removed 10 wounds from landraider. potentially you can one-shot a land raider in one turn if you hit and wound with all of your cannons. Lieutenants and Masters (or Azrael) help a lot. Although I've seen some good usage of las razorbacks. 

Well personally I would go with a Las-back as that is the best option in the kit just don't glue the turret in place then get the assault cannon turret from Forge world at your leisure. That way you can swap and choose as seems best.