So what did the Iron Hands do in the heresy?

One thing is bugging me, at Istvaan the Sallies and Raven Guard lost most of their Legion. The salamanders where pretty much knocked out of the war completely and Corax had to go to extreme measures to rebuild to the point where he could conduct viable combat operations.

The majority of the Iron Hands where not at Istvaan, Ferrus took a strike force of elites and left the rest of his legion to follow. So what happened to them? What did they do during the heresy?

Well, in The Lion in The Primarchs anthology, we do see some Iron Hands acting on the orders of Guilliman to fight the Death Guard. Presumably, those will be the ones we see in Unremembered Empire, as Dan Abnett did say the X Legion would make some sort of appearance.

In Little Horus, the Iron Hands, with a group of a White Scars, are leading a resistance against the Sons Of Horus advance, including an assignation attempt on Horus himself.

Also in Angel Exterminatus the Iron Hands (with a Salamander and a Raven Guard) are harassing the traitors.

Horus didn't march straight to Terra, he had to get past the Fists, Salamander, and Raven Guard survivors first.

Not to mention delay the Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Ultramatines. The Heresy was a war fought across the breadth and width of the galaxy for seven years. The sheer distance alone is quit a bit of ground to cover.

Yeah its unfortunately deceiving and it feels like to me that Isstvaan 5 when down. Thramas and Shadow crusade happened. Blam! Siege of Terra and endgame.

Thank god that FW is finally flushing it out in detail, and the hazy background gives a lot of leeway to work with.

Siege of Sarum is an example (previously nonexistant) and the battle of Paramar 5 (vaguely alluded too) is as well

It's not necessarily clear how they fight, it just says they go renegade since they blame the traitors obviously but also blame the loyalists for letting their father down. There's like a third faction in the conflict these renegades and worlds who don't fight for either side and would rather stay out of it.

Ah. Still, leaves potential for creating armies that fight against both sides or are being attacked by both sides. An overzealous group of Raven Guard Dropsite survivors who managed to escape orbit, and think those who do not fight with them are as bad as those who fight against them, or the Traitors which is a bit more obvious scenario.

It opens up a whole new dimension to the Heresy and continues to muddle the "black-and-white" of Traitors vs Loyalists by blurring the lines between both. Well done FW, well done.

Not to mention delay the Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Ultramatines. The Heresy was a war fought across the breadth and width of the galaxy for seven years. The sheer distance alone is quit a bit of ground to cover.

Yeah I know, I was just being all Iron Hands are cool.

Still for a Legion that lost its head (snicker), the fact they could marshal any organised resistance is amazing.

Ah. Still, leaves potential for creating armies that fight against both sides or are being attacked by both sides. An overzealous group of Raven Guard Dropsite survivors who managed to escape orbit, and think those who do not fight with them are as bad as those who fight against them, or the Traitors which is a bit more obvious scenario.

It opens up a whole new dimension to the Heresy and continues to muddle the "black-and-white" of Traitors vs Loyalists by blurring the lines between both. Well done FW, well done.

This just in:

the traitor legions have reported a 136% increase in mustache shaving

nyaah! nyaah!

Only among certain Legions written by certain authors.

All non ADB Word Bearers are still required by law to maintain a minimum Burt Reynolds standard of facial hair, although a Sam Elliott or higher is encouraged.

It is interesting how different authors cover different legions. Some of them go overboard on the black and white.

I like A-D-B because he's very grey, his bad guys are very bad but have enough humanity and emotion to make the reader feel they are not just cardboard cutouts. His writing reminds me of Heath Ledger's Joker in allot of ways.

There was an audio drama released for the BL christmas advent calendar thingymabub last year called Veritas Ferrum. It was only 11 minutes long, but utterly fantastic. As the majority of the Iron Hands Legion were left to follow Ferrus after he left with the majority of the Avernii clan and other elites, they didn't know about the Dropsite Massacre and the betrayal of the other 4 Legions, so they turned up at Istvaan V into a trap which saw a lot of the Iron hands ships destroyed outright as they translated from the warp.

This audio drama is about the fate of one particular ship, the Veritas Ferrum, very cool space battle. So I think that the Hands still took a lot of losses when the rest of their Legion turned up and had the guns of 7 traitor fleets turn on them as they turn up.

In fact, here's the link for it: http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/veritas-ferrum-mp3.html

I recommend it, was well worth the cost.

Archived