Unremembered Empire....initial review

Just finished it, all I can say....and cause can't remember how to work spoilers right now.....is that this novel will satisfy...answer many of the questions or theories we've all been talking about in this thread....amount of primarch to primarch interaction is high, well paced and no doubt intended as the main starting block for the second act of the series...timeline is 2 years since Calth at the beginning. Lots o subtle hints to what, we know, how it all ends....one in particular I want to post from Guilliman that made me laugh, in that way "I see what you did there Abnett"....but then would have to put it in to context and that will take even longer.

Will give it another read over the next days and post some direct quotes

Edit, thanks Bryan Blaire

Without going into too much details, Curze loose on Macragge....3 primarchs after him....Guilliman's reference is about a farmer having no place at the end battle...perpetuals and Cabal...few things that made me smile were The Lion meeting Space Wolves...looks like the customary duel is well established at this point...comments from Narek to two possessed Word Bearers before he shoots

Posted · Hidden by Bryan Blaire, October 4, 2013 - No longer needed
Hidden by Bryan Blaire, October 4, 2013 - No longer needed

Spoilers:

[spoiler] Enter Your Text Here [/spoiler]

Should look like this:

The text should all be hidden until you press the button!

Posted · Hidden by Bryan Blaire, October 4, 2013 - No need any more
Hidden by Bryan Blaire, October 4, 2013 - No need any more

Spoilers:

[spoiler] Enter Your Text Here [/spoiler]

Should look like this:

The text should all be hidden until you press the button!

Thanks, put them in first post

Indeed it is their homeworld and it makes it rather tragic how it's been annihilated by the tyranids given how much of a nice place it is and the particular devices present there.

Overall I really enjoyed it. It advanced the overall story which I thought was a nice change from constantly being dragged back to Istvaan V or Prospero. More detailed thoughts in the spoilers below and there are some MAJOR spoilers in there

I liked how the relationship between Gulliman and the Lion is detailed and handled. Gulliman looking up to the Lion as the eldest brother and the Lion's appreciation of what Gulliman has achieved tempered by misgivings about what he might plan for the future

Including Narek was very well done since I was keen to see if he would continue to progress from Vulkan Lives to the point where he'd go out of his way to do something permanent to Lorgar.

John Grammaticus sacrificing himself to heal Vulkan (which we know will succeed even if it's not specifically shown at the end) was an interesting twist and it was also good to see the dynamic between both himself and the Cabal and also with Damon Prytannis given his rather fleeting glimpse in Betrayer. I am disappointed that we didn't get to see anything of Cyrene given that she is now Perpetual too but no doubt ADB has some plans for her in the future. Eldrad's appearance was also pretty good and I'm a fan of how the Eldar factions within the Cabal are unaware of his involvement not to mention the hints of a schism between the approach of the Eldar to dealing with humanity

I felt that it would have been better to introduce Sanguinius a little earlier since I'm keen to see how DA would write about him given the great job he's done with all of the other Primarchs to come beneath his pen but the Blood Angels will clearly get some front row exposure in whichever novel follows this up and it will be good to see how they respond to their Primach becoming effectively heir of the Imperium. 

Curze. Ah Konrad Curze where to begin. THIS is how he should have been portrayed in Vulkan Lives but sadly NK dropped the ball on him. He fully lives up to the whirlwind of terror and death that he's been described as in the past. Nothing is sacred and nobody is safe with him rampaging through Maccrage. The scene where he lures Gulliman and the Lion into a confrontation only to death trap the whole room was brilliant

It's pretty clear Vulkan is being reset by John's sacrifice, the cure being his mental well being I think. I think all the Primarchs apart from the Hulk (Vulkan) were a lot more expressive and open than their past representations.

Also this beacon I think is the reason why the Tyranids were drawn to the galaxy, it turned Macragge and Sotha into a subspace beacon and the Tyranids were most likely drawn to it like a moth to a flame

I can't wait to see Vulkan getting up, I think he's going to be at the Siege of Terra defending one of the gates, I love the fact he's become a key player in the heresy, the Cabal says as much and I honestly can't wait to read about it as it'll be totally fresh and not written about before.

we should learn more about the pharos beacon on sotha, as polux stays on sotha with dantioch to try and understand it

i always assumed the warp drives the lion has would be given to the blood angels to find their way to terra, but perhaps this beacon is used to illuminate terra and guide everyone there instead?

Interesting things from the book:

* Guillimen seems envious/jealous of the Lion an openly hints at it. He also believes that Horus was truly happy at being made Warmaster over not Guillimen, Sanguinius, or Dorn but the Lion. I think it is important to note that this is the Big Blue Bosses opinion. He does note that he only looked up to two primarchs. Horus...and the Lion. He also looked down on others.

* The Lion has a change a heart and begins to understand the importance of family and seems to be really touched by Guillimen’s comments about him and Horus. Both Guillimen and the Lion are cool with Sang being an interim Emperor.

* I feel that this portrayal of the Lion is one of the best. It is the first at length story featuring him interacting with someone outside of the 1st Legion. He controls his humors very well which is in line with the old fluff. :"‘Don’t test me, brother!’ Guilliman snapped. ‘Can you not see the anger in me?’

‘I can, but I am better at hiding things, and you clearly cannot see the anger in me. That will not happen again.’"

* Curze is Bat-:cuss crazy. I suppose most of you have known this. But I mean...really. Plus I think Mr. Abnett hinted that there might be a little bit of Chaos inside him. (his mouth stretching...way to much to be possible..or something like that was mentioned) He's also taller than the Lion or the Guillimen. Not sure if this has always been the case.

*Vulkan lives to die again and again...and maybe permanently again...or maybe not..

*John Gram. is down to his last Get Out of Death Free card.

*Dulan apparently happened enough time in the past to be tradition. The Lion serves as the Dark Angels' champion msn-wink.gif in the bout.

* Guillimen thought Horus becoming Warmaster was undeserved.

* Dark Angels Wings, 6 of them. Ravenwing, Deathwing, Dreadwing, Apparently as the first Legion which was even used in the Unifaction Wars the Dark Angels had access to lots of tech. Why? Well...in order to accomplish any mission that was needed they had to rely on themselves...and when other legions were found...they remand secretive...even before finding their primarch.

edit: Interesting concept on the Tyranid idea WOT. Now that I think about it makes total sense. Beyond the two planets being major Tyranid targets, the power is described as non psychic in origin.

Not yet, it's not progressed that far. Mostly likely though only one could immediately get there, by the beacon thing and the others would have to get there via conventional means. Only a guess on my part though.

Thanks! I can't wait to read it. I hope there's a scene between Polux and Dantioch, that could be awesome.

Thanks! I can't wait to read it. I hope there's a scene between Polux and Dantioch, that could be awesome.

There is:)

They put aside their differences and end up saving Guilliman and The Lion after Kurze leads them into a trap

Dude you have made my day laugh.png

Flipping awesome book. Seriously, so many moments that are just fantastic. I even like Perpetuals now, and that says a lot. Also, the following (possibly spoiler?) pic makes me happy.

http://i.imgur.com/gpmamoX.jpg

Archived