Unremembered Empire....initial review

Agreed, that is by far the best picture in the book, though Dantioch's iron mask of Olympia was pretty amazing looking too. I think there were two others with Ultramarine rank and file, that were good but not all that dynamic.

The thing I love most about that picture? It kind of looks like the Emperor, possessed by one pissed off Supernatural-style demon.

Ok lads, just finished it. I literally hate Konrad Kurze  SO much after reading this novel. I want him dead almost as bad as I wanted Loragar dead after Know no Fear. Props to Abnett for making me feel this passionately about a story and legion. 

Question to those who've read the last couple of books:

How important are Mark of Calth and Vulkan Lives to understanding/appreciating the events and narrative of The Unremembered Empire?

I've not read either of those two, would I be lost about what's going on?

From what I've gathered. Vulkan Lives is very important as one the subplots of that novel becomes a major focus in this one while at the same time, a notable character also follows over(no, not Vulkan). As for Mark of Calth, I don't think I've heard anything about plot points from there making it to this novel, although that isn't surprising since all the stories were tied specifically into Calth in one form or another, whether it was leading up to, during or dealing with the aftermath.

I haven't read Mark of Calth either, but would advise reading Vulkan Lives. It really feels necessary, for this book.

Also, with regards to Curze' portrayal - truly awesome. Vulkan Lives Curze feels like a shadow of the Curze we get here, the Lord of Terror in his element, sowing fear and chaos amongst all, with even hardened Ultramarines falling to his games. You see precisely how he does what he does, and you learn a bit about the mechanics of his gift of foresight, and how he's used it and continues to use it.

There's also the interesting bit in the beginning - prolonged contact with the Warp seemed to reduce him, mentally, and hurt him even further than the dark events of his past already have. It seems to take away his humanity, whilst bringing forth the creature of the shadows. The Lion plays predator, and Curze plays prey, but he takes to his role with a relish, delighting in the game and outsmarting his foes whilst seemingly losing a lot of sense of self. It's fantastic, imo.

I really wish the covers of the HH novels didn't have grand murals from the book on them.  The cover of UE might be the biggest spoiler in history.  I still highly enjoyed the book, even if it was a really quick read.

I'd imagine that as soon as Grammaticus dies, Vulkan will get back up, since we know Vulkan isn't gone for good, and we can only hope that John G will soon be.

My only real negative about the book was a sense that Vulkan Lives and the two Dark Angel HH novels would both have been vastly superior stories in the hands of another author.  Jonson and Curze come across far more interesting here than they have in any of their previous appearances.

I'm amused to see that the much maligned "emeperor's executioners" bit resurfaced.  I have to admit that I like it.  Then again, I like it because being an executioner isn't about proficiency, or skill, or any quality other than a willingness to carry out a sentence, regardless of which life it may end.  The Sixth Legion aren't stronger, or faster, or meaner, or better than any other Astartes legion.  They're just the jerks willing to turn their axes and guns on anyone that Malcador points them at.

I don't really regard this as a spoiler since it takes place so early in the novel but...

So, Guilliman is almost killed by a mere ten Astartes. Okay. That seems kinda wimpy for a Primarch.

To be perfectly fair

he IS unarmed with his head exposed, and they do catch him off guard whilst he believes them to be friends.

I have not read Vulkan Lives and it hasn't had any impact. Nothing's been lost in translation or anything.

Fair play to you, I personally felt the two to be heavily intertwined - I suppose the main events will all still make sense, but Vulkan Lives sadly does lend some context to the book.

I don't really regard this as a spoiler since it takes place so early in the novel but...

So, Guilliman is almost killed by a mere ten Astartes. Okay. That seems kinda wimpy for a Primarch.

Try looking at it as he done again.....nevermind Gree, didn't realise it was your post. Will save a lot of time by agreeing, yeah should never have happen like that, whole series is wrong.....

Verity, this book provides all the context for you. It explains it all for those who didn't read Vulkan Lives. Might not be noticeable by those who already read the book and had it to begin with.

Verity, this book provides all the context for you. It explains it all for those who didn't read Vulkan Lives. Might not be noticeable by those who already read the book and had it to begin with.

Again, fair enough...Probably right there. I kind of wish that I hadn't read Vulkan Lives, leaves me with a weird bad feeling to look back on it, and mesh it with this one, so if there's ways for people to avoid it...they should.

These are what seem to be the main plot points of Vulkan Lives I've picked up from various posts:

Spoilers:

1. Vulkan was captured during the Dropsite Massacre and was imprisoned and tortured by the Night Haunter.

2. Vulkan is one of the Perpetuals and returns to life when killed.

3. Vulkan eventually makes some sort of escape via teleportation from the maze/labyrinth Curze has him in, only to end up in near orbit around some planet and plummet to his doom, burning up in the atmosphere.

4. The Cabal has some vested interest in seeing Vulkan permanently dead and sends John Grammaticus on some mission to do so.

Does that about cover it in terms of what carries into The Unremembered Empire?

These are what seem to be the main plot points of Vulkan Lives I've picked up from various posts:

Spoilers:

1. Vulkan was captured during the Dropsite Massacre and was imprisoned and tortured by the Night Haunter.

2. Vulkan is one of the Perpetuals and returns to life when killed.

3. Vulkan eventually makes some sort of escape via teleportation from the maze/labyrinth Curze has him in, only to end up in near orbit around some planet and plummet to his doom, burning up in the atmosphere.

4. The Cabal has some vested interest in seeing Vulkan permanently dead and sends John Grammaticus on some mission to do so.

Does that about cover it in terms of what carries into The Unremembered Empire?

Throw in the following, which is actually explained well enough, now that I think about it.

Narek, a random Word Bearer, is finding himself disgusted at his Legion's degradation, and was previously hunting Grammaticus. Curze is obsessed with shattering the nobility of his brothers.

It's just a small point, but I found him interesting.

The more I think about the more I think Cormac is right. It IS all explained. Similar wording even carries over for Curze.

Try looking at it as he done again.....nevermind Gree, didn't realise it was your post. Will save a lot of time by agreeing, yeah should never have happen like that, whole series is wrong.....

Is there some problem? You know, contrary to popular belief, I can be reasonable.

Do what I've decided on. Buy the first, greater ebook, then get the paperback. Still cheaper than a hardcover, still get to read it at the earliest point, only miss out on the inside jacket's expanded cover image.

Archived