Unremembered Empire....initial review

Black Library's got it. But maybe not on a iFormat.

Technically no. But if you get the ePub, that format can be converted to iTunes as a book.

Epub and mobi were the options I noticed. And yeah, there are a lot of good, free format converters out there.

Black Library's got it. But maybe not on a iFormat.

Technically no. But if you get the ePub, that format can be converted to iTunes as a book.

Epub and mobi were the options I noticed. And yeah, there are a lot of good, free format converters out there.

True true. I just know from experience that iTunes has no problem at all converting the epub into an iBook. At least, that's what worked when I got Beneath the Flesh forever and a half ago.

Flipping awesome book. Seriously, so many moments that are just fantastic. I even like Perpetuals now, and that says a lot. Also, the following (possibly spoiler?) pic makes me happy.

http://i.imgur.com/gpmamoX.jpg

My god, how did you extract that image? I can't find a damn way to do it right :S

Yeah, it has a function to add files to iTunes itself. It was originally so people could just transfer music onto the program without having to rebuy it, a lifesaver in my case. It can also be used for PDFs and ePub files to make into book-formats. Although mobi files have no such luck. So worse case scenario, if you have iTunes, just buy the epub version and add the file. Works like magic.

And just like that, I have a copy of Unrembered Empire.

I haven't seen game of thrones or read A Song of Fire and Ice enough (nor do I want too) to understand what you mean by that, Marshal2Crusaders. Illuminate me biggrin.png

Calibre converts anything.

Maybe Im projecting, but the Lion comes off Jaime Lannister-ish. 

Kinda see where you're coming from, change in the portrayal of their character/mindset is of a similar arc....few other common themes...both lose their father at the hands of their brother though this Lion keeps both hands and not so much as a twisted sister...then again maybe Luther's frock was more than just robes?

Calibre is what I used to get a pdf copy for my computer, from the downloaded mobi. I extracted the images from the pdf, myself. Not sure how Verity himself got it.

Interesting comparison for the Lion, though.

Maybe Im projecting, but the Lion comes off Jaime Lannister-ish. 

Kinda see where you're coming from, change in the portrayal of their character/mindset is of a similar arc....few other common themes...both lose their father at the hands of their brother though this Lion keeps both hands and not so much as a twisted sister...then again maybe Luther's frock was more than just robes?

His demeanor and the way he talks is all I meant. 

So...

So two Perpetuals kill Vulkan not once but several times over, with an assortment of xenos weapons?

Huh.

Yeah but he gets up faster and faster and there's a point earlier on in the book when Curze finally thinks he's done in Vulkan only for Vulkan to open his eyes Curze goes "Oh that was quick" and then swiftly receives a smack to the face.

A little over half way for me. Great so far, lots of stuff going on, enjoyable read.

However. I hate the wolves. I hate what Abnett has turned them into. I hate their 'role' and I hate that this executioners crap is something we have to likely endure for the rest of the series.

Hate it.

I actually liked the Wolves in this book, or more precisely I liked how they are shown from Gulliman's point of view. Anything is better than the old "We're Space Vikings!! Now to battle!! Then to some mead!!"

This book is epic to the full extent of the word. While I admit the vast majority the series I find entertaining because it's 40k, UR was one of the first in the series that was actually genuinely entertaining to read; you could slot its workings into any background and I would still love it. First time having such great laughs from this genre as well, Guilliman's actions around the Lion had me genuinely chuckling.

Is anyone else of the mind that UR read a bit more... open than the rest of the series? In many parts, especially in th beginning, facts and background are layed out right before you, and the characters (especially Astartes) seem slightly taken down a peg in terms of drama in their conversation. I recognise this might be intended as character development (all that stress, after all) , but I can't help but think this was a premeditated act of... diluting (I'm using that lightly) the atmosphere for a more general audience. Or maybe it's just Abnett's thing with conversations leaking again. The whole piece read as a perfect intro for a newcomer to the series, the background even. It was also incredibly cinematic, granted not as much as KNF, but it was almost like its begging for a... script :3

Edit: law? Word.

So...

So two Perpetuals kill Vulkan not once but several times over, with an assortment of xenos weapons?

Huh.

"He is only more than human."

Although I grant you he seems to be dying left right and centre now, although maybe that's because he doesn't even mind anymore.

Edit: pardon the mobile double post. I think that's another new aspect UR has introduced, with the ten marines and all (granted they are from THAT legion :D); Primarchs seem much more naked and vulnerable now. Or maybe bolters just upped the ante (yeah, THOSE marines, who else did you think?).

I'm also willing to bet that Fulgrim will be the first one to set aside vanity and bragging and just open the Avenging Son's throat. And I thought Lorgar was the one that relied on his tongue to survive... though for all the good his ceremonial armour did him he might as well. My main hope is they keep their vulnerability consistent, it's been a while since my reading but I do hope Lorgar's ability to beat up that plasma blast (if Abnett is allowed on that train, with that cornered-in-the-room remark, so am I :D) relied 95% on otherworldly pacts and not on colchisian brand horse protein that Guilliman's diet lacks.

But then we couldn't have Supernatural. Wait, that's a tv show not a book.

A little over half way for me. Great so far, lots of stuff going on, enjoyable read.

However. I hate the wolves. I hate what Abnett has turned them into. I hate their 'role' and I hate that this executioners crap is something we have to likely endure for the rest of the series.

Hate it.

Actually, if you look at it, Abnett has literally turned it into a joke. When we first see it, it's with the knowledge of Prospero. And at one point, the point is actually made to point out that the Wolves had never done a true sanction before Prospero.

Also, A D-B pretty much put the last nail into the coffin and confirmed the executioner thing back in Betrayer. So technically, you'd have to criticize A D-B as much as Abnett for the executioner thing.

Personally, I'm getting a kick out of it. It's giving the Wolves this sort of blind obedience aspect that is covered with arrogance. How did the quote go?

"Our duty is what our duty has always been - to do what others will not. To do the unthinkable, if the unthinkable must be thought."

In a way, it's reminiscent of what we see as Curze's earlier mentality. Although where Curze actually did what he thought must be done, the Wolves are only willing, but will not do until ordered to do so. But the Wolves are also willing to feed rumors that they had done it before, to the extent of Prospero, when they really haven't carried out a sanction before.

And in a way, it creates an interesting aspect. It was kind of thrown in with Khârn's quote from Betrayer, but it's something that keeps being expanded upon. There are truly no Wolves on Fenris. Only dogs. I don't mean that as an insult to anyone's pride or even the Legion(especially since the Wolves themselves say as much). But if you think about it, they do not act as Wolves. True, they fight in packs, but so do dogs, lions and hyenas. But there is that true loyalty. It's somethings dogs have and wolves rarely have. Usually it has to be a wolf-hybrid. And in a way, it makes them very, very, very dangerous.

Look at the attitude. They're willing to go so far as to be willing to chance killing a Primarch, even if it means they will die. It's a true loyalty tied in with a will to achieve the unachievable. And that will, that drive, to succeed, makes them very dangerous indeed.

I'm working today sadly but I'll expand upon my disdain later. Let it be known I disagree, vehemently, with the entire concept, and have since I read it the first time in Prospero Burns.

ADB handled it by pointing out that it was false, and all glory to him for doing so. It is not an official role, they are not any more or less equipped to do what needs to be done. Betrayer points that out clearly. Not only does Russ have no true authority in and off himself to be an 'executioner' but when push comes to shove the wolves are no better than the battle mad World Eaters at killing marines.

The fact this even keeps being mentioned is simply unfortunate, as it detracts from a fun read, and will fuel flame wars until the internet dies.

Blind loyalty? Word Bearers? Alpha Legion? Arrogance? Hell, any Legion has that.

The Wolves are being made into a parody, like you say, a joke. I just hate it.

They dont need to be vikings out for a good time, there is nothing wrong with the culture and depth Abnett gave them. There is everything wrong with putting them on a pedestal, either in character, in universe, or out of it as 'willing to go further' 'more loyal than loyal' when that is seen in EVERY legion.

Archived